Here come the restructures

78thealltimegreat

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Looks like the Bills will be players in free agency after allĀ 

Pretty sure it's been clear all along they would restructure Josh and a few others to get enough space under the cap to be modest buyers in the free agent market. I don't see how they are going to be players on big ticket fellas. I'm hoping there is at least one solid guard that is a priority acquisition.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Restructures are nice to give you that instant jolt of cash. But they are one trick ponies. You must be prudent when moving forward, despite all the protestations from fans that the cap isn't real.

Ā 

The cap is real.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, boater said:

Restructures are nice to give you that instant jolt of cash. But they are one trick ponies. You must be prudent when moving forward, despite all the protestations from fans that the cap isn't real.

Ā 

The cap is real.

I will say this about Beane, instead of spending right up to the cap, he would be wise to dump/trade away players who are not in their future plans. It would bode well for him if he had multiple extra picks in the 2023 & 2024 Drafts respectively. It keeps our Super Bowl window open long term and his job safe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, folz said:

Ā 

14390619_800.thumb.jpeg.1e074c7622af820c9afa90ae16f5be7f.jpegĀ Ā 

šŸ˜šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Ha! Hereā€™s the funny part! Iā€™m sitting here brushing up on my minimal french skills using Duolingo in advance for a trip to Paris in a couple months. (I did take 6 years growing up, so Iā€™m not starting from scratch.) Ā Maybe thatā€™s why my mind went here, but my iPad would have given me that damn buzzing sound! šŸ˜‚Ā 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, boater said:

Ā 

The cap is real.

all it means is dont act like a Friday night millionaire. if you come across someone that makes you better, not just a shiny rock, its a no brainer. filling holes before the draft makes it doubley valuable, allowing you to stay closer to a true BPA, than a BPA at positional need

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think "any day now" would imply not necessarily today just soon.

what context is 'any day now' coming from? rumor?

Ā 

EDIT: never mind, i took this wrong. JW is a child. the tweet literally says any day now, but he has to pull a "nuh-uh" like a little bratĀ šŸ‘Ž

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

Beane never goes into the Draft with a glaring hole in the roster.Ā  He will work free agency like he does every year to fill the holes in the roster and walk into the Draft able to go in any direction.Ā  That's his MO.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

Milano seems like a no brainer.Ā  So would Diggs, unless there really are issues and he wants out.Ā The Bills will have much to consider as to whether to restructure White and Dawkins (especially White).Ā  Ā I would not.

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Beane never goes into the Draft with a glaring hole in the roster.Ā  He will work free agency like he does every year to fill the holes in the roster and walk into the Draft able to go in any direction.Ā  That's his MO.

I love Beane donā€™t get me wrong, but last year he telegraphed that CB selection pretty bad. It was a glaring hole for sure.Ā 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

what many forget is most contracts now come with restructure language team can invoke at any time. Simple notice to players. agents, banks, payroll dept of team, then money payouts are commenced per new restructure schedule.

Ā 

And player gets money sooner, so they are happy too.Ā 

Ā 

So no time-consuming negotiations and team can wait until last minutes to activate them depending on what moves come up as ops present themselves as FA runs.

4 minutes ago, 0017 said:

I love Beane donā€™t get me wrong, but last year he telegraphed that CB selection pretty bad. It was a glaring hole for sure.Ā 

i see just the opposite. He always drafts players they interview or bring in for visits. And telegraphs need picks in first round every year. Just like most do.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, 0017 said:

Ā 

I think the position cost would have been too high to grab a decent CB in free agency with what he has already committed to Tre' White.Ā  Teams can't afford to have two top tier CB contracts on the books anymore, just like you can't afford to have two top tier WR contracts on the books at the same time. You need to have one of your CBs on a cheap rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Ā 

I mean, they have 24 Free Agents. They were always going to have to free up money to replace those bodies and/or bring some back. Whether they'll be able to come up with enough to sign any real big names as upgrades remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yes, start at the Bank of Josh, then stroll down the road to the Bank of Von. Voila! Cap space!Ā 

Its all relative. Our main competitors in the AFC have equally or greater restructure opportunities.Ā 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Beane knows how to work the cap and not restrict his ability add. While we might not give a Vin Miller but if we can get better than we had last year is ultimately what matters.

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Ā 

I think the position cost would have been too high to grab a decent CB in free agency with what he has already committed to Tre' White.Ā  Teams can't afford to have two top tier CB contracts on the books anymore, just like you can't afford to have two top tier WR contracts on the books at the same time. You need to have one of your CBs on a cheap rookie contract.

Ya, I think I would have liked to see J. Bradberry in free agency and an attempt at helping Josh out on the offense through the draft, but hindsight is 20/20. I really did think Gabe Davis was going to ball out last year, and spencer brown would continue to progress. So itā€™s easy to see why he went that route at the time.Ā 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Ā 

well, the first part about roster filling is correct. Ā Then itā€™s grab the top D player in round 1, preferably a DE šŸ˜œ

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Title says "Here come the restructures"

Ā 

Which indicates that at least one has happened......

Ā 

They have like 10 days until the league year begins..........obviously re-structures are coming.

Ā 

In other news............"Here come the free agent signings"

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Ā 

Ha! Hereā€™s the funny part! Iā€™m sitting here brushing up on my minimal french skills using Duolingo in advance for a trip to Paris in a couple months. (I did take 6 years growing up, so Iā€™m not starting from scratch.) Ā Maybe thatā€™s why my mind went here, but my iPad would have given me that damn buzzing sound! šŸ˜‚Ā 

Donā€™t waste your time Augie. Weā€™ve generally found that everyone in Paris is more than happy to speak English with you. šŸ‘ Super envious! Enjoy your trip.Ā 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Donā€™t waste your time Augie. Weā€™ve generally found that everyone in Paris is more than happy to speak English with you. šŸ‘ Super envious! Enjoy your trip.Ā 

But isn't it generally true that if you at least attempt to speak the native language, the locals treat you with more respect than if you just start blurring out stuff in English?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Ā 

Thanks! Thatā€™s what I hear, but itā€™s fun for me and something to do. I took 6 years of it and took some standardized test with a couple other kids for my high school.Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™m more concerned about Italy after Paris. We found in Spain and Portugal there was less english than I expected, and ā€œdonde esta el banoā€ came in VERY handy a few times when in need and looking at blank stares!Ā 

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

But isn't it generally true that if you at least attempt to speak the native language, the locals treat you with more respect than if you just start blurring out stuff in English?

Ā 

That is something I thought to be accurate, but I donā€™t really Ā know. I donā€™t want to be some arrogant American if I can help it. At least try a little.Ā 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, I think they'll also approach Tre & Dion. Not sure if they'll mess with Milano or Diggs though? We need enough for Tremaine's replacement,Ā  an olineman and WR.

100% agreement.Ā 
Ā 

Dawkins and White are the only viable big cap hit candidates. Really donā€™t see Milano being restructured; if anything he warrants more money via an extension and weā€™ll with Diggs being restructured just 2 years ago I find that will be a tough task to ask again. Had we made a Super Bowl or won a Lombardi? Totally different.Ā 

I mean, he might know something or he just might be looking at it from a common sense perspective
Ā 

These two are structures are going to happen

Ā 

The question is what will be done in addition to this you need a certain amount of money to sign draft picks, but that would not create a ton of money to make huge moves, which I donā€™t expect Brandon mean to make anyway

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ā 

Thanks! Thatā€™s what I hear, but itā€™s fun for me and something to do. I took 6 years of it and took some standardized test with a couple other kids for my high school.Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™m more concerned about Italy after Paris. We found in Spain and Portugal there was less english than I expected, and ā€œdonde esta el banoā€ came in VERY handy a few times when in need and looking at blank stares!Ā 

Ā 

That is something I thought to be accurate, but I donā€™t really Ā know. I donā€™t want to be some arrogant American if I can help it. At least try a little.Ā 

Ā 

My wife and I booked our next cruise, August 2024, 9 day Greek Island cruise. The port is Rome, so we're spending a week in Italy after the cruise. I am currently using the Pimslur app and doing (somewhat) daily lessons in Italian. I want to know as much Italian as possible before we travel.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.