Fournette Available

ngbills

A few reasons to like this:

1) Because he was cut, he doesn't count against the comp pick formula. Not a free agent. We need as many of those as we can get if we want to recoup a nice 3rd and/or 4th round pick for losing Edmunds and Hyde.

2) The exact type of runner we need. Good in pass pro, experienced, good in short yardage.

3) "Been there before" attitude. Played his best ball in the playoffs and won the SB.

A rare time in which I'll shout the proverbial know-nothing phrase of GIT ER DONE BEANE! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

A few reasons to like this:

1) Because he was cut, he doesn't count against the comp pick formula. Not a free agent. We need as many of those as we can get if we want to recoup a nice 3rd and/or 4th round pick for losing Edmunds and Hyde.

2) The exact type of runner we need. Good in pass pro, experienced, good in short yardage.

3) "Been there before" attitude. Played his best ball in the playoffs and won the SB.

A rare time in which I'll shout the proverbial know-nothing phrase of GIT ER DONE BEANE! 

I'd rather have Henry although I realize that's nothing but a pipe dream.

pass on Leonard.

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t get the obsession with Running backs. Build the line and anyone can run behind it. 

In the end, this is true. I have this fascination with Bijan Robinson, but if we had hogs they could pave the way you could run and undrafted free agent behind them.

This draft is full of running backs, and there are so many on the fridge agent market, but there’s not a lot of is quality lineman

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t normally say Buffalo isn’t attractive to free agents, but I don’t think this is an attractive spot for this free agent. He’s a warm weather guy. Unless he has no market (he will) I don’t see why he wouldn’t go to New Orleans or a team similar if he signs on the cheaper end 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be excited about this.  As stated, he complements Cook very well.

I'm very bullish on Cook.  But we need that guy who can take up the short yardage/goal-line slack, and really, give Allen a break more than a Cook or Singletary or whoever is handling the bulk of the running (probably Cook in '23).

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t get the obsession with Running backs. Build the line and anyone can run behind it. 

Apparently "building the line" is more complicated than it seems because it has yet to happen in 5 seasons.  

This team should be striving to upgrade every position that can be improved upon.  Fournette has shown to be a better RB than what we currently have.  He's excellent in pass protection, is an all purpose guy and a veteran presence.  He would be an asset here if used properly and wouldn't break the bank.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me he is one of those post draft league minimum signings if you can’t find a complimentary back in free agency or the draft. 

yeah, I tend to agree.  But getting a cheap vet now (not that he will be) makes grabbing that OG or WR over a RB in the 4th easier, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Remember when the Broncos could put the janitor in at RB and he’d get a thousand yards and a Pro Bowl trip? I want THAT! 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He amassed 830 yards.  The Chiefs were ranked 20th in rushing (Bills were 7th).

What else you got?

Not snarky, but I wonder where we would stand without Josh’s rushing yards. That’s fine in his early years, but Josh needs to be our starting QB, and designed running should be used judiciously. Without him, we be up the creek, and the water will be muddy (that is a euphemism). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Augie said:

Not snarky, but I wonder where we would stand without Josh’s rushing yards. That’s fine in his early years, but Josh needs to be our starting QB, and designed running should be used judiciously. Without him, we be up the creek, and the water will be muddy (that is a euphemism). 

Every team includes the QB rushing yards.  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Was it the guy from the Rudy movie? 

I think it was actually that guy’s back up. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Every team includes the QB rushing yards.  

Yes, but not every team relies upon the QB for such a high percentage of their rushing yards. I mean, the Ravens do that, if you remember that Lamar guy we haven’t seen much of the last couple years. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Both of their RBs combined for 110 yards and a single TD.  What's your point?

That you can win a super bowl featuring a 7th round RB.  Isiah Pacheco has more Super Bowl championships than Ezekial Elliot, Nick Chubb and Derrick Henry combined.  What point do you have? 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think it was actually that guy’s back up. 

Yes, but not every team relies upon the QB for such a high percentage of their rushing yards. I mean, the Ravens do that, if you remember that Lamar guy we haven’t seen much of the last couple years. 

Eagles and Chiefs both had QBs who were the 2nd leading rushers on their teams.  

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

That you can win a super bowl featuring a 7th round RB.  Isiah Pacheco has more Super Bowl championships than Ezekial Elliot, Nick Chubb and Derrick Henry combined.  What point do you have? 

Posters upstream were saying get a top O-line and an UDFA could go wild behind it.  I asked where that is happening.  You mentioned a guy who just cracked 800 yards on  the 20th ranked rushing offense.

That's not exactly how the Chiefs got to, and won, the SB.  Your example isn't Germain to this discussion. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Eagles and Chiefs both had QBs who were the 2nd leading rushers on their teams.  

I’ll give you Hurts and the Eagles. But he’s young and kind of almost disposable on a rookie deal. He had one more rushing yard than Josh.

Mahomes had about half the rushes and half the yards as Josh. “Second leading” can be…..misleading. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

When basically your whole line is trash it's gunna take more than one offseason to build a dangerous line. We'd be doing well to get to above average this offseason, so adding a powerful back would be very helpful.

Don't care if we do it in the draft or through FA, but we can't roll in with only Cook and Hines... and Hines isn't a given

Fournette doesn’t play well behind crap lines. His best ball is catching passes, surprisingly, and the Bills don’t throw it to RBs. I don’t see how this works. 

Putting it out there. This year I was shocked by how few RBs had meaningful playing time. Really only two backs, Singletary and Cook. And neither had big games. The Bills just didn’t use RBs last year. The words of the great Saints Jim Mora.. “…We didn’t run the ball; We didn’t try to run the ball…”

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yes, we do have to build the line.

But Devin Singletary and Taiwan Jones (even though he's more of a Special Teamer) are Free Agents. Nyheim Hines has a cap hit too large for his role so he'll either have to agree to a pay cut or be cut.

So right now the only Running Back that will surely be here is James Cook. Building the line or not, we have a big, big hole at RB right now. It's worth talking about and not an offense on building through OL to talk about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.