Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ah yes, the old "We didnt win a Championship with him, so he must not be worth keeping" line of logic that was so pervasive during the drought years.

We also won 3 playoff games with him before those losses as well.

I'd argue he was 1 of maybe 3 or 4 players that actually showed up to play against the Bengals. But the rest of the team ***** the bed so therefore he isnt worth keeping. Got it. :thumbsup:

I didn't make that made up argument you pretended I made.  I was simply asking how integral he was and how you easily concluded it would be entirely different without him.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I didn't make that made up argument you pretended I made.  I was simply asking how integral he was and how you easily concluded it would be entirely different without him.

Rewatch the Vikings game and see how different our Defense looked in the 1st half vs after he went out in the 2nd half for a good example of how integral he is.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Anything is possible but it sounds like we have seen the end of Edmunds' career as a Bill. Which leaves more room to build the offense.

I’d certainly rather those resources get  poured into the offense, but I think the Bills are probably going to re-sign Edmunds. Maybe some team gets stupid with a contract offer and the Bills bow out, but I think they value him greatly - IMO probably a lot more than he’s really worth.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Far better than allocating huge money to a MLB that doesn't help us in the playoffs.  They need to allocate more resources on offense...it's the way of the league.  McD needs to stop worrying about trying to field a top 5 D every year and shortchanging the offense because of it.  The rules favor the offense, use it to your advantage,  The D just needs to be middle of the pack, not great.

There’s some truth to what you’re saying..but on the other hand he’s still pretty young and coming off maybe his best year. Starter, captain etc. I don’t wanna hear it from anyone if the defense takes a dip without him next year. The meltdown will be epic here if mcd drafts a mlb early on

• Like (+1) 1

This is very, very bad news for anyone who wants a real investment on offense. 

Edmunds is a pretty good LB, but will he command elite $$?

To anyone celebrating him leaving, expect yet another 1st round defense draft pick. Either S, LB, or good old DL. 

WR after round 4. OL we can do without because Allen can always run for his life, which is an "advantage" for us and part of his skillet apparently. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, BillsSbSoon said:

There’s some truth to what you’re saying..but on the other hand he’s still pretty young and coming off maybe his best year. Starter, captain etc. I don’t wanna hear it from anyone if the defense takes a dip without him next year. The meltdown will be epic here if mcd drafts a mlb early on

The defense is going to take a dip regardless most likely...defense is less consistent year to year than offense is. That's why you allocate more resources to the offense...it's more consistent year to year and the rules favor it. It should not be rocket science for Beane...McD is likely trying to swim upstream since he coaches D.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is very, very bad news for anyone who wants a real investment on offense. 

Edmunds is a pretty good LB, but will he command elite $$?

To anyone celebrating him leaving, expect yet another 1st round defense draft pick. Either S, LB, or good old DL. 

WR after round 4. OL we can do without because Allen can always run for his life, which is an "advantage" for us and part of his skillet apparently. 

Well maybe McDermott learned during the super bowl that defense don't win Championships anymore, we can pray

• Like (+1) 2

Nice player and the thought process in his selection made a lot of sense. He also does a lot for the defense and is an integral part. 

However, there is no reason to think that guys like Pratt, Tranquill, Deion Jones, Anthony Walker Jr. couldn't do a lot of the same things that Tremaine can do. What makes him a unicorn is his size and length, but a smaller guy can make up the difference with better instincts and coverage skills. 

Trenton Simpson, Jack Campbell could be draft replacements. Drew Sanders is a similar type of unicorn. 

There are options. Edmenunds is not as a good as they projected him to be. It's a bit of a swing and a miss. He is a solid linebacker and I would love to have him back, but I don't think that he will be overly difficult to replace. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Bears, Texans, Giants, Raiders all have a huge need there and have a ton of cap space. I have my money on the Bears or Texans. 

I live in the Chicago area. Many of the Bears fans I know really want Edmunds, they think he'd be an upgrade from Roquan Smith.

I warned them it could end up like how Bills fans felt after taking Jauron off their hands.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Everything is fine, Bills just spent a premium pick on Terrel Bernard who appears to be useless. 

Well they drafted a LB on a defense that plays 2 LBs that never come off the field. What do you expect? 

It was concerning that they had to bring back Klein. 

I won’t be surprised if they go with Bernard as a starter next year. Another option is Shaq Thompson once he’s released.

41 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I feel like I heard this a lot about Milano in the early part of the 2021 offseason as well, and then he signed with the Bills. I dont think Edmunds is gone yet.

Milano is and was always the better player at his position. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Rewatch the Vikings game and see how different our Defense looked in the 1st half vs after he went out in the 2nd half for a good example of how integral he is.

Bills go into next year with the following players on Defense:

Von Miller

Daquan Jones

Greg Rousseau

Matt Milano

Taron Johnson

Tre’Davious White

Kaiir Elam

Micah Hyde 

Figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, UConn James said:

When Edmunds does blitz, he runs toward & right into a blocker. Anybody ever tell him that’s not how you blitz?

Knowing this coaching staff probably not. It's sad seeing Maine leave but I get it and I’m sure just as many players question the coaching staff & FO just as much as posters, they just can't make it publically known. The players have the option of going to another team, the fans don’t

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bills go into next year with the following players on Defense:

Von Miller

Daquan Jones

Greg Rousseau

Matt Milano

Taron Johnson

Tre’Davious White

Kaiir Elam

Micah Hyde 

Figure it out. 

Yup. That's a lot of good players. Enough for a solid D. Fill in the gaps with the cheapest players possible.

I have zero interest in having an "elite" defense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Another thing this report tells me, is that the Bills may actually do some unexpected stuff this off-season. 

I would NEVER have thought I’d see that tweet referenced by the OP, re: Tremaine.  Gives some hope for those of us also begging them to trade Oliver and really transform the Offense. 

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s likely gone then. I know Milano did the same and signed back but Edmunds is going to get $20 million per year.

Calling it now, he’s going to get less than 20. Spotrac’s contract estimate wasn’t some gross electronic error. Edmunds is a specialized player that hasn’t been asked to be a traditional LB since Frazier became DC. Teams can hope he’ll become one but they’re not going to pay for hopes in advance. They’re going to merely outbid the highest bidder if they’re sold on him. With our luck, watch him sign for something just out of our reach like 16. 

He’s not as good as his supporters think.  And he’s not as bad as his detractors think.  We’ll miss him.  But he’s not worth a cap hit greater than Milano’s charge.  And, even if we had him at that number, he’s probably not worth keeping around with Milano and investing $20m in off-ball linebackers.  I’d rather hire cost-effective replacement labor and sink the savings into the offensive side of the ball. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Calling it now, he’s going to get less than 20. Spotrac’s contract estimate wasn’t some gross electronic error. Edmunds is a specialized player that hasn’t been asked to be a traditional LB since Frazier became DC. Teams can hope he’ll become one but they’re not going to pay for hopes in advance. They’re going to merely outbid the highest bidder if they’re sold on him. With our luck, watch him sign for something just out of our reach like 16. 

What he does is what every defense is looking for. He’s a huge athletic MLB that plays every single snap on a top defense and still is considered to have upside. He’s going to get #1 LB money on the open market.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.