Rex Ryan emerging as favorite for DC in Denver?

Big Blitz

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

Ohh complete nonsense. I’ll take Rex over Frazier all day. 

THE REXIT. 16th in points 19 in yards last time he coached. 22nd in points per drive. He BENT and BROKE. A true defensive savant. Allowed 30+ points SIX times in 2016. Frazier has allowed 30+ points FIVE times in the last two seasons and playoffs COMBINED.

Get lawst.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

The Vance Joseph thing is weird. They hired him as a HC, only gave him two years when he got a team with no QB and Bill Musgrave as OC to 6-10, then fired him. Now they want him to come back as a DC? 

Having Case Keenum stopped them from drafting Josh Allen. Thanks Elway. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

13 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Didn't Rex learn ANYTHING from Jeff Saturday?? 

Their situations are not quite the same.  Despite his poor record in Buffalo, Rex has had some coaching success in the league, as DC in Baltimore and has HC with the Jets.  Saturday never coached beyond the high school level.

But I agree that sitting in an air-conditioned studio across the table from Sam Ponder, showing off your pearly white veneers, throwing out hot takes, and laughing and joking once or twice a week, and being well-paid to do it, seems to be a better gig than the grind of an NFL coordiator or coaching position, where you are putting in 60-100 hours per week.  Particularly at Rex's age and when he probably doesn't need the money.  Who knows, the TV gig may even pay better.  As for his NFL legacy, I don't think Rex is going to achieve anyting beyond what he's already accomplished in Baltimore and New York.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I don't love Rex Ryan or even like him but he was literally 10x the coach his brother is. 

He was an excellent coordinator and you can't take that away from him. PLENTY of people are better coordinators than HC's. 

FIFY. 

AS you say in your 2nd sentence, he WAS an excellent coordinator - back in 2008 with the Ravens

If you believe he was heavily involved in the defensive game plans and coaching for the Jets, give him 2014.

That's 9 years ago.  His defense sucked with the Bills - whether he didn't have the right players, didn't put in the time and effort, or allowed his brother too much say, anyone's guess.

When you stop doing something for 9 years, your skills get rusty.  Sometimes you can clean off the rust and reboot, sometimes your "get up and go" has just got up and went and you can't.

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

THE REXIT. 16th in points 19 in yards last time he coached. 22nd in points per drive. He BENT and BROKE. A true defensive savant. Allowed 30+ points SIX times in 2016. Frazier has allowed 30+ points FIVE times in the last two seasons and playoffs COMBINED.

Get lawst.

You are so wrong. Very sensitive. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

You are so wrong. Very sensitive. 

I'm out here posting facts baby. Don't let me get hot.  You can't even dispute it.

Imagine thinking that Rex is great and Leslie Frazier sucks.  You know Rex got canned in like 2 years and was the biggest blunder the Pegulas ever made as Bills owners, right?  Lmao.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm out here posting facts baby. Don't let me get hot.  You can't even dispute it.

Imagine thinking that Rex is great and Leslie Frazier sucks.  You know Rex got canned in like 2 years and was the biggest blunder the Pegulas ever made as Bills owners, right?  Lmao.

Take a break. Too emotional. Rex is a proven winner. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I hope this happens, Denver has just been that team embarrassing themselves and this should help cement that for the future. 

It won't be as entertaining if they actually make good choices and turn it around. 

Edited by Lfod

I was a huge fan of the Rex Ryan hire at the time, but it obviously didn't work here. IMO, it was because he was burned out before he got here and his heart wasn't really into putting in the effort required. 

He  relied on other to teach his defense and there was a ton of miscommunication. 

There were games when the Bills defense looked great, and IMO it was because he put the work in sporadically. When he did, it showed. Mostly he didn't though, and it showed. 

IF Rex is focused and wants to work and he gets the job (which I doubt will happen now) then Denver's defense is going to be very, very good. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Bad potential hire Rex and Rob Ryan aren’t there father Buddy Ryan. Buddy Ryan was the brains of that family. When Buddy Ryan passed away it unplugged Rex Ryan’s coaching brain because he wasn’t there as a sounding board to talk to about football. Look at Rex Ryan’s success it was when Buddy Ryan was still living on earth after that not much success in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The Vance Joseph thing is weird. They hired him as a HC, only gave him two years when he got a team with no QB and Bill Musgrave as OC to 6-10, then fired him. Now they want him to come back as a DC? 

Having Case Keenum stopped them from drafting Josh Allen. Thanks Elway. 

They bluffed us on the Sean Payton thing. He was the guy all along but they floated other candidates — one source said Jim Caldwell was a done deal — while they figured out compensation with the Saints. I suspect some of the DC names we’re hearing now aren’t the real guys in consideration. 
Is Gregg Williams still alive?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

This reminds me of when we brought Dave Wannestadt in. Sometimes (always), the game evolves and old coaches don’t. 

Oh … and f*ck Rex Ryan. 

Yeah, great point, and he's a nice guy, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he never showed up in Buffalo again.  He took us for a grand ride.  

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, great point, and he's a nice guy, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he never showed up in Buffalo again.  He took us for a grand ride.  

A grand?!  I though it was $5.5 million a year for 3 years, minus offsetting income. 🤨😉😁

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Amazing how Frazier again escapes,  did anyone offer him a job? No because he sucks and has zero options if the Bills fired him.  This is a major sign of weakness by Sean, he does not have the killer instinct or Frazier would have been toast after 13 secs

The right coach was fired after 13 seconds.  Heath Farwell.   D bag cost the organization  the one real shot at the title during Josh's rookie deal.   Now the roster gets pulled apart.  

Frazier, Rex Ryan, Bill Belichick, who cares?   Not sure defense really matters as much any more in the NFL, relative to offense.   If you can't put up 30+ in a playoff game, you are out, bc your post-wild card opponent will regardless of how terrific your defense or your DC is.  The game has changed.   In fact, if you can't score 30+, you may lose 3 out of 4 against any top 10 team in today's NFL going forward.   Hell, the Lions rolled up the points on the Bills.  

Defense is the new RB1.   Need one to keep the other team honest, but don't spend a lot of money on it.  Put your $$ where the action is.   

Rex, Good luck keeping the AFC West teams below 30 points.  

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

The right coach was fired after 13 seconds.  Heath Farwell.   D bag cost the organization  the one real shot at the title during Josh's rookie deal.   Now the roster gets pulled apart.  

Frazier, Rex Ryan, Bill Belichick, who cares?   Not sure defense really matters as much any more in the NFL, relative to offense.   If you can't put up 30+ in a playoff game, you are out, bc your post-wild card opponent will regardless of how terrific your defense or your DC is.  The game has changed.   In fact, if you can't score 30+, you may lose 3 out of 4 against any top 10 team in today's NFL going forward.   Hell, the Lions rolled up the points on the Bills.  

Defense is the new RB1.   Need one to keep the other team honest, but don't spend a lot of money on it.  Put your $$ where the action is.   

Rex, Good luck keeping the AFC West teams below 30 points.  

Nope should have been Frazier,  13 secs is the most stupid display of coaching ever and he repeated again our game against KC this past season. He will end up costing Sean his job because he is totally  to conservative and big reason why he had no coaching offers.  Not even an interview

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I mean hard to see this as anything but a great move by Denver and great place to go for Rex if he wants to coach again.  One, there is no denying he was a great DC.  Two, Denver is giving him a very good foundation to walk into with that defense.  

And he is fun, players love him, and it will be good for the league

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

This reminds me of when we brought Dave Wannestadt in. Sometimes (always), the game evolves and old coaches don’t. 

Oh … and f*ck Rex Ryan. 

Well if he builds his bully at least they will do their damage to mahomes 2 tomes a year.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Hmmm, build a bully, get some snacks and get fired. 

Don't forget this guarantees Denver winning the offseasons.

Edited by AuntieEm

12 hours ago, wppete said:

These guys are legends!!! Fire Frazier and hire this Duo!!!

This is intended as a joke, obviously.  What if that duo had prepped for the Bengals game and called plays during the game.  Would the outcome have been any worse?

The one thing I didn't like about our D under Rex was his system was TOO complex and it seems to confuse players on the field, and it required, at times, big DL-men to drop back in pass coverage, which seemed idiotic to me.

Overall, I bet their performance would be about the same.

What a clown the guy is!

He had the #1 pass rushing D line in Buffalo and decided to have them eat blocks or drop into pass coverage so the crappy LBers could rush.

It's his way or bust...

My take of him in Buffalo was in that first game he destroyed the Colts and then might have suddenly realized he is no longer the Jets HC. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.