My Trade Up, rebuild the online, dump salary cap, never going to happen draft.

Chaos

It takes time for an oline to gel.  Ours has had time and hasn't gelled.  I think drafting an entire oline together (or most of an oline) and being able to keep them on rookie contracts for 4-5 years gives a team the best chance to build something special.  This is my NEW (feb 15) 2 round only mock draft via the PFF simulator (PFF didn't love it).  Flame away.  I am more curious about what people think on trying to build a same age oline more than dinging or braising the individual players. 

image.thumb.png.67b1640412f74754b0ca99fc9b61502d.png

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It takes time for an oline to gel.  Ours has had time and hasn't gelled.  I think drafting an entire oline together (or most of an oline) and being able to keep them on rookie contracts for 4-5 years gives a team the best chance to build something special.  This is my mock draft via the PFF simulator (PFF didn't love it).  Flame away.  I am more curious about what people think on trying to build a same age oline more than dinging or braising the individual players. 

image.thumb.png.cdd30886fef32fb7a99fb7eb89384853.png

Love this.  Football games are won up front.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd love any combination of Mauch, Schmitz, Avila or Vorhees. You gotta figure this is Morse's final season.

My never going to happen Mock traded away Morse and Saffold. Hard to see in the image. 

11 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Let me count the many threads the op has started to make the same point repeatedly….

Too many.

Never started a thread before on a mock draft, or about rebuilding online.  

36 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Never started a thread before on a mock draft, or about rebuilding online.  

IMHO, my opinion here is this has been talked about ad nauseam and many posts have been started regarding this exact issue. So a reply may have been better than another thread. Nothing against you starting it. Just the overload of many threads on the same subject.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What's the big obsession with Cody Mauck? I'd rather have a guy who excelled against other big boys. SEC, ACC, BIG 10.

Actually, he looked pretty good as an IOL in the Senior Bowl practices, which is competition against the best Seniors the SEC, ACC and Big 10 had to offer.

Of the interior linemen I saw, Torrence and Schmidt were the best.  Mauch might have been down a notch, but not by much.  Probably on the level of Avila from TCU, though they are different types of blockers.  He was a fighter, as was advertised ad nauseum, but it was more than that.  He moved his feet well, kept his man in front of him and wasn't backed up very often.  The hair and the toothless grin had the publicity, but that isn't what makes him good.

Id take him over... the center from Michigan..or Steen from Alabama, for instance. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

It takes time for an oline to gel.  Ours has had time and hasn't gelled.  I think drafting an entire oline together (or most of an oline) and being able to keep them on rookie contracts for 4-5 years gives a team the best chance to build something special.  This is my mock draft via the PFF simulator (PFF didn't love it).  Flame away.  I am more curious about what people think on trying to build a same age oline more than dinging or braising the individual players. 

I quit looking when you traded an UFA Saffold who is not under contract for 2023.   

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Draconator said:

IMHO, my opinion here is this has been talked about ad nauseam and many posts have been started regarding this exact issue. So a reply may have been better than another thread. Nothing against you starting it. Just the overload of many threads on the same subject.

It is very easy to not read threads you are not interested in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Yea Saffold is a FA. You can't trade him. And his value is less than a bag of peanuts anyway. 

I am up for taking a tackle in round one (if one falls to us) and an interior OL guy somewhere on day 2. I think Jones is super raw and he might be another of those Beane picks that either struggles or doesn't have a great impact as a rookie but he has the potential to be very good long term. If he fell to us at our spot I'd pick him I think. I have seen a few mocks recently where he does fall that far but my guess is in reality Skoronski, Johnson and Jones are all gone before #27. 

I think then an interior OL on day 2 is pretty much a given and would be sensible because I think it is where the value of this class is. It is a decent and relatively deep interior OL class. And the Bills have a need there. 

After that could we come back and grab a third OL on day 3? Sure. But that's more likely a developmental guy who doesn't start as a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Broderick Jones I do not think makes it to 27. Also why did you take 2 centers? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is ridiculous and won't happen because  Bills have other needs. You could get value at LB,TE,S,or RB for example with those later picks but no guarantees those 4th and 6rh round OL picks amount to anything special 

Numerous teams manage to "gel" their offensive line without going crazy overboard in ONE draft. 

And how do you trade Saffold? He is a free agent. 

This lacks credibility.

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Saints trade for Saffold?  LMAO

Besides being one of the worst ranked Guards in the league, he's a UFA anyway.

Curious as to why you drafted 2 OTs back-to-back instead of getting a true Guard.

Edited by Billz4ever

22 hours ago, Chaos said:

Love Van Pran but he's going back to school. I think he'll go much earlier next year too.

I think I'm hoping our first 4 picks are 2 OL, 1 WR, and 1 DT - not in that order necessarily.

I love the focus on the OL, but I'd like WR help on day 2 plus a WR FA unless we find a couple real OL bargains in FA -- Unlikely in a time when good OL are relatively few. I think signing WR FA talent will be a little easier since we are looking for a WR2.

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

I traded Morse. One will be guard / back up center

I could see this happening. He's pretty average now and probably overpaid. I would still be surprised, though.

12 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I like your strategy of drafting three Jones'... a bold move

The Bills need to protect Josh and this line could have possibilities ...

LT - Jones

LG - Dawkins

C - Schmitz

RG - Bates

RT - Brown or Mauch ... (Either of these guys could move to RG)

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I love the focus on the OL, but I'd like WR help on day 2 plus a WR FA unless we find a couple real OL bargains in FA -- Unlikely in a time when good OL are relatively few. I think signing WR FA talent will be a little easier since we are looking for a WR2.

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

I traded Morse. One will be guard / back up center

I could see this happening. He's pretty average now and probably overpaid. I would still be surprised, though.

The title of the post includes the phrase “ never going to happen”  but it was me agianst PFfs draft simulator.  And inn tHt world it all came together 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I appreciate the work that went into this

That’s too many offensive lineman in one draft

You have to figure that we’re definitely gonna draft at least one and then we’re probably gonna bring in a veteran

Beane always says free agency is for filling holes, so I'd expect him to sign a replacement for Saffold before the draft as well as average guys to compete for positions where we lose salary cap casulties. (RB, S, LB, LG, DL & probably at least 1 WR)

I wouldn't mind drafting a pair of olinemen high in the draft. I'm also hoping for a WR. I'd take a WR first and then maybe oline in rounds 2 and 3.

Also, regardless of past failures on the defensive line, it is still a problem. You don't stop addressing a problem because you failed before. The dline needs to be fixed as well. Von coming back will help, and Rousseau is good. But we need a better 3rd edge rusher to come off the bench. Settle turned out to be a non-factor, and Phillips is always hurt, so we need a better interior dlineman off the bench as well. Draft or free agency, but these positions need to be addressed too.

And if we don't sign Edmunds, MLB is the #1 position to address on the team.

I can't see taking interior OL in the first. 1st round is for WR, DE, CB where elite speed and twitchy athleticism can best be found. Fine with Rd 2 and after. 1st round also for securing a player on a 5 (vs 4) year rookie contract. That all shifts a bit if there isn't the value in the position when you pick. 

For late picks, give me raw athletes and coach them up. No Luke Tenutas.

Also, I'm not impressed by the G/T combo player thing so much. Completely fine with a guy that is strictly a guard/center and knows his role. 6'7" but gets blown up does nothing for me.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.