Bills now no longer have 2 fifths but one fifth and one sixth

dave mcbride

Hines’ playing time/production exacted a fifth round pick rather than a sixth from the Bills. The Bills have six picks in total now - one each in rounds one through six. Definitely not great for an important draft year. The picks are all late-round ones except for the fifth rounder, which is from AZ. I have to think they’ll try desperately to trade out of the late first for more picks unless a player they love at either WR or OL falls to them.

37 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have no idea just a guess but I feel it was the two kick return TDs that did it.

Agreed.

26 minutes ago, nucci said:

isn't every year an important draft year?

In the abstract, yes, but if you're a built-to-win now team, It's less important when you have a ton of cap space and can spend money on high end FAs. The Bills can't do that. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed.

In the abstract, yes, but if you're a built-to-win now team, It's less important when you have a ton of cap space and can spend money on high end FAs. The Bills can't do that. 

So the 5th round pick becoming a sixth was the straw that broke the camel’s back and doomed the Bills?  Shirley.

• Haha (+1) 1

It would be nice to have more picks for sure especially this year but i believe Beane will do what he does & find a handful of players that can contribute this year i just hope a few of them can be in place during OTA's & prove they are worthy starters like Teller would have been .

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

Yes.  We are entering the season of saying the same things about the draft we did the previous 10 years and claiming as a new thought.  

Cmon, this is most important draft since drafting Bruce since we need to protect the most important player since Bruce.  Now that’s a new thought. Lol.

24 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The condition was “If the player returns 2 Kickoffs against a divisional opponent while below freezing, the pick turns into a 5th”

Seemed like a great condition originally. 

It may have been something like wins an "NFL player of the week award," which he did (ST player of the week for the NE game). Not that I have any idea of what precisely triggered it, of course. 

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Based on what?

His draft record

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

How do you fit the salaries for these players you want to trade for under the salary cap?

We have to hit on some key draft picks.

I agree our cap situation is not ideal, but do you have any confidence that we hit big on any draft picks?

Edited by uticaclub

21 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I am looking forward to hearing about how terrible the Bills are at drafting based on the hindsight of looking back at someone who is successful on another team in the NFL and was selected after a less successful player drafted by the Bills. Those 'analyses' are priceless. 

The Mahomes Phenomena.

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Just because Zay Jones, Boogie, AJ, Zach Moss & Cody Ford are still in the NFL, those are 5 2nd picks that contribute nothing to the current Bills

It is still a pretty insane number. And that is the point with Beane. He drafts very few outright busts. Most guys he picks can play in the NFL. Maybe Cody Ford might be the one exception on that list. But the others are NFL players. Where he has struggled more is drafting the difference makers. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Doubly frustrating then on how little and poorly he was used.

The entire evolution through which Beane ended up with Hines was nothing short of a shitshow, culminating with yet another player being underutilized/misused, altogether.

This kind of crap has been happening throughout this regime's tenure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Just because Zay Jones, Boogie, AJ, Zach Moss & Cody Ford are still in the NFL, those are 5 Day 2 picks that contribute nothing to the current Bills

Subjectivity should definitely be held in higher regard objectivity when making illogical statements.

I trust Beane to maximize this draft.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if we trade down a few times and end up w/ 8 picks total, or something like that.  

You can get starting O-linemen in the middle rounds.  They can probably also get the WR they need in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Title of thread, first part of your post, but not your point?  Is this thread about where to find the best pizza?  If so, please let me know.

My point is not catastrophism, which is you're imputing (i.e., the snarky "doomed"), but rather an unexpected handicap at the margins in the draft this year. I'd rather not have to deal with the handicap, but that's just me. They're drafting late without a full set of picks along with zero comp picks and they need some successes because they're going to be hard-pressed to take advantage of the FA market the next couple of years. Having an expected fifth get pushed back to the sixth is the sort of thing that reduces the draft capital they'll need to get a mid-round player (e.g., a move up to the fourth/late third or something like that) they really like. The sky isn't falling. But I wish the Bills had a better slate of picks than they do given that we're now in the massive-Allen-contract era. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Hines’ playing time/production exacted a fifth round pick rather than a sixth from the Bills. The Bills have six picks in total now - one each in rounds one through six. Definitely not great for an important draft year. The picks are all late-round ones except for the fifth rounder, which is from AZ. I have to think they’ll try desperately to trade out of the late first for more picks unless a player they love at either WR or OL falls to them.

I'm in all favor of them trading down as much as possible in exchange for more picks/more bodies joining the organization.

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I trust Beane to maximize this draft.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if we trade down a few times and end up w/ 8 picks total, or something like that.  

You can get starting O-linemen in the middle rounds.  They can probably also get the WR they need in the 2nd.

I can definitely seeing us trading out of the 1st and into the 2nd, and picking up a mid/late round pick in the process. Move from 27 to somewhere around 35.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.