Are the Bills committed to Ed Oliver in 2023?

LabattBlue

42 minutes ago, McBean said:

I sure as heck hope not.

Hasn’t sniffed his draft position.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the Bills took him over these 1st round d-linemen: Brian Burns (elite), Jeffrey Simmons (elite), and Montez Sweat (averages just over 7 sacks per year over a four-year stretch). He's probably a better player than Rashan Gary, who was also a first rounder, and certainly better than Jerry Tillery and L.J. Collier. Dexter Lawrence had a great year this year, but his first few were just OK. It's kind of a wash with those two because Oliver has certainly had some good moments.

If a redraft were held today, the Bills would take either Simmons or Burns, but I also think that if there were an actual re-draft, Burns would go top five.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I want the Bills to move in a different direction from Ed Oliver. Try to acquire a top level DT this offseason to pair with Jones.

I would have to agree if they could find a player like a younger more healthy version of Phillips that would a good pick up when he is fully healthy he is & can be a beast inside ! Seeing as the Bengals didn't have 3 of their starters on the O line Ed should have been able to school them but didn't that is very telling .

Ed is about the same size as John Randal was but not the player he was I have always wanted to see the Bills try him as a DE given that they say his first step is so quick & he may be better suited for that position who knows ? Why not try it if it doesn't work change him back or just mix in a couple of plays to keep them guessing .

They said when he was drafted that in college he was playing out of position but he was doing a lot of disrupting while in college so if that be true then try him where they had him in college if he was doing that good out of position i feel he has the motor but his 287 lbs against a 320 lb O lineman i don't feel is enough in todays NFL at his position .

That's where his quickness might be better used as a DE because he has more outside room to use but i'm no expert that's for sure !! Change worked for Peters & others ...

19 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Beane's problem is that they feel their coaching staff can mold a talent to be great. Epenesa and Basham are prime examples to me. Like spit shining some shoes. 

I just don’t know how you take an undersized, small conference guy like Oliver over a monster like Dexter Lawrence, who was the centerpiece of a championship defense at Clemson.  It points to a serious flaw in the Bills’ scouting process and evaluation…

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's his 5th year option.  They are now fully guaranteed when signed.

I think Oliver would probably be one of the guys McDermott has in mind when he says he thought the play of the DL was "inconsistent" especially after Von Miller went down

hopefully the 5th year option both encourages him as a contract year but also as another year in the system. It’s not excusing it as others have played better but wouldn’t be crazy to see some covid year disruption and a few normal off-season help take a step or two forward when paired with the crossroads. 

I dont think he’s been “the guy” but want to find reasons to think he could be viable still. Another inconsistent year and you could spend money more effectively than paying him as an elite guy

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

He will 100% be a Bill next year. It's fully guaranteed and there is a $0 cap savings if cut.  He is a pretty good player. Dude may have won the Detroit game for us. Why the hell would the Bills cut a good player they drafted and gave a 5th year option to, get $0 cap savings and then have to pay more to sign a player to take his place who likely won't be as good?

This thread shouldn't even be a thread. The nonsesicality of it is astounding.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I dont care if it leaves a whole, an expensive, undersized, inconsistent, role player. He provides nothing to the team, and our D already sucks.

With nfl rules in 2023, any defense is a diminished return unless they are elite.

Could you imagine what $11m invested at RT or G would add to this team. Buh bye

I agree 100%

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He will 100% be a Bill next year. It's fully guaranteed and there is a $0 cap savings if cut.  He is a pretty good player. Dude may have won the Detroit game for us. Why the hell would the Bills cut a good player they drafted and gave a 5th year option to, get $0 cap savings and then have to pay more to sign a player to take his place who likely won't be as good?

The Bills just got dominated on both sides of the ball on Sunday.  Beane and company will look at everything.  Over 4 years, Oliver hasn't played at a level where he's untouchable.  Looking into possibly trading him for a player or draft pick(s) seems rather plausible.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

The Bills just got dominated on both sides of the ball on Sunday.  Beane and company will look at everything.  Over 4 years, Oliver hasn't played at a level where he's untouchable.  Looking into possibly trading him for a player or draft pick(s) seems rather plausible.

Name one person that played a great game Sunday?  The entire team didn't have it.  Hard to single out one player in that game as "bad". They all were bad.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Who's cutting him?

We're all talking trade.  He has value.  Maybe we don't get back what we're hoping (Day 2 Pick) but even if we don't, it clears his 11M.

We talk about investing on Offense.. How exactly do we suppose we'll do that if we have Oliver eating 11M on a 5th year option and/or pay Edmunds whatever it is he ends up getting. 

Enough.

We are going to have to fill some roles on Defense with cheap/rookie players if we want to give Josh Allen an Offense that can go toe to toe with Burrow and the Bengals next year.  

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well to be fair, this is a discussion forum and one could argue every single post is (and I think you mean) non-sensical.  Literally, I could argue every post is non-sensical.  You know, normativity and all.

Anywho, the point remains he was a bad pick, not worth the cap hit, sadly will likely be on the team next year (really who would trade for him, maybe the Texans for that hometown edge?), and severely underperformed over this time here.  Anyone that believes he is vital to what we do has absolutely no clue what they are looking at.  Yes, we get to keep Ed another year, unless a trade partner comes skipping down the hallway.

Also, let's be honest, whomever we theoretically could sign for Ed likely would be an upgrade.  He just is an average player. Again, being able to identify and recall the one game he was a force this year, is revealing. I can balance that with the Titans game last year where they literally ran right at and over Ed. Henry's monster run was right at Ed. 

23 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Oliver was double-teamed all day.  No having Daquan hurt. Phillips on a bum shoulder also hurt. Settle was a disappointment. 
I'd re-sign Oliver to a team friendly deal if possible. 

Top Ten pick in year 4 against backups and a wildly mediocre starting Center and we're making excuses for him ... and advocating to pay him long term?  

These kind of moves, if made, are why we will be behind the Chiefs and Bengals.  You can't pay guys on Defense who aren't reliable impact players when your QB is making 40M+

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I just don’t know how you take an undersized, small conference guy like Oliver over a monster like Dexter Lawrence, who was the centerpiece of a championship defense at Clemson.  It points to a serious flaw in the Bills’ scouting process and evaluation…

Oh there is definitely a flaw- they have a terrible habit of reaching to fill needs…

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Too many holes to fill elsewhere. Keep Oliver on the 5th year option just like you did Edmunds. He is relatively cheap and no long term cap issues. 

Getting rid of him is the wrong solution for the wrong problem.

Oline, WR, safety, and depending on what they do with Edmunds MLB, and edge rusher are the holes.  Can't make more. 

Wrong. Oliver is $10.8 mil.

Move on, he's not worth it

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Kudos to you for having someone in mind and suggesting him - a guy who is a FA, moreover.

I think he's 1TDT? whereas Oliver is a 1TDT, but it still puts you on most folks here to have a FA target playing the correct position in mind

Do you know what the injury was which placed him on IR?

I believe ed plays 3 tech, too small for a 1

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

If you were an NFL GM, what would you trade for Ed Oliver and his one year, fully guaranteed $10.75M contract?

If you have the cap room and have a need at DT, there is enough there with him for an organization to think that they could get more out of him. As a GM, I would offer a 3rd round pick, but go as high as a 2.

36 minutes ago, damj said:

If you have the cap room and have a need at DT, there is enough there with him for an organization to think that they could get more out of him. As a GM, I would offer a 3rd round pick, but go as high as a 2.

Beane overvalues draft picks and then wastes them. 

While I agree my bet is you could find a team willing to give up a 3rd, then what is the point. Giving up a starting DT for a 3rd round pick? So basically Oliver for Terrell Bernard??? No thanks. I will take Oliver back on a 5th yr guarantee over a 3rd round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Beane overvalues draft picks and then wastes them. 

While I agree my bet is you could find a team willing to give up a 3rd, then what is the point. Giving up a starting DT for a 3rd round pick? So basically Oliver for Terrell Bernard??? No thanks. I will take Oliver back on a 5th yr guarantee over a 3rd round pick. 

I do appreciate your reply and thoughts here.  Funnily enough, and I think I am correct, I do not think Ed started the Bengals playoff game.  He sure did play early and maybe on the first series but technically he did not start the game - I think the first play Ankou was on the field. That notwithstanding, I actually do not think Ed is starting caliber.  Depth? Ok. Starter? We need better.

But I am fine agreeing to disagree here.

2 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

I do appreciate your reply and thoughts here.  Funnily enough, and I think I am correct, I do not think Ed started the Bengals playoff game.  He sure did play early and maybe on the first series but technically he did not start the game - I think the first play Ankou was on the field. That notwithstanding, I actually do not think Ed is starting caliber.  Depth? Ok. Starter? We need better.

But I am fine agreeing to disagree here.

Fair enough. I've posted many time I hated the pick, but I see him as at least an average starter at 3tech DT.  And I'm fine overpaying for one year becuase I think the replacement cost would be too high and there are too many other holes to fill. Would I be shocked if they made a trade? No. Surprised and bemused but not shocked.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Seems like, when healthy, Jordan Philips outplays Oliver, has more fire, and he's cheaper.

Oliver is good. Really good at times. But he is no where near where a top 10 pick should be playing. He does not deserve a massive contract from the Bills.

That’s the operative term,”when healthy “ and that about 6 or 7 games a season from his time in Az till they dumped him on us last year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.