Are the Bills committed to Ed Oliver in 2023?

LabattBlue

Too many holes to fill elsewhere. Keep Oliver on the 5th year option just like you did Edmunds. He is relatively cheap and no long term cap issues. 

Getting rid of him is the wrong solution for the wrong problem.

Oline, WR, safety, and depending on what they do with Edmunds MLB, and edge rusher are the holes.  Can't make more. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Taking Ed Oliver over Wilkins (as dirty as he is), Dexter Lawrence and Jeffery Simmons stings so much right now. 

Just as bad as the Patriots taking N’keal Harry over Matcalf, Deebo and AJ Brown. 

I just looked at the 1st round of that draft a few days ago. 4 DT taken within 10 picks of each other, the Bills chose first, and got the worst of the 4. 😞

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, buffalobillswin said:

Taking Ed Oliver over Wilkins (as dirty as he is), Dexter Lawrence and Jeffery Simmons stings so much right now. 

Just as bad as the Patriots taking N’keal Harry over Matcalf, Deebo and AJ Brown. 

and the Browns taking Baker over Josh and the Jets taking Sam over Josh. No team is perfect in drafting. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

It's his 5th year option.  They are now fully guaranteed when signed.

I think Oliver would probably be one of the guys McDermott has in mind when he says he thought the play of the DL was "inconsistent" especially after Von Miller went down

1 minute ago, buffalobillswin said:

Too many high picks turning out to be replacement level role players.  Not near enough impact players drafted early.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Too many holes to fill elsewhere. Keep Oliver on the 5th year option just like you did Edmunds. He is relatively cheap and no long term cap issues. 

Oline, WR, safety, and depending on what they do with Edmunds MLB, and edge rusher are the holes.  Can't make more. 

I'd argue that when your dline can't generate pressure against backups and 3rd stringers it's already a hole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I disagree with edmunds. First of all, I hope they keep him. Second, if they don’t then they have to make bernard work. You don’t draft a LB in the third as a fall-back to possibly losing edmunds and give up on him this soon. 

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's an undersized DT.  That's not a necessity on this team, or any team.  Good player, but he's a luxury.

Trade him for a RD3 pick.  Take his cap hit and sign an IOL.  

Go into next season with Daquan Jones and Tim Settle as your starting DT's.  Some of our rotational guys can be JAG's...  In fact, they're going to need to be if we want to give Josh Allen real help this off-season. 

53 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

We need to trade Ed.  He's worn out his welcome here and clearly hasn't lived up to his draft position and expectations.

I dont care if it leaves a whole, an expensive, undersized, inconsistent, role player. He provides nothing to the team, and our D already sucks.

With nfl rules in 2023, any defense is a diminished return unless they are elite.

Could you imagine what $11m invested at RT or G would add to this team. Buh bye

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and the Browns taking Baker over Josh and the Jets taking Sam over Josh. No team is perfect in drafting. 

Josh is the only one we really gotten right though.

We've struck out on nearly every high draft pick we've had in recent years besides Josh. (Not including Elam in that since the jury is still out).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I dont care if it leaves a whole, an expensive, undersized, inconsistent, role player. He provides nothing to the team, and our D already sucks.

With nfl rules in 2023, any defense is a diminished return unless they are elite.

It's infuriating that we even have to have this convo.  They should've never picked up his option... now that we have, hopefully we can move him and at least get a pick back.

Ed Oliver eating up 11M in a DT rotation, meanwhile (and who knows what comes available) we could take that 11M and sign the top IOL on the FA market.  Then target WR and G/C/RT on Day1/Day2 of the Draft. 

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Yep, this D-Line rotation thing simply sucks up roster spots to swap around what are mostly mediocre players.  Keep the few decent ones and re-direct that money where it needs to be...the O-line.

Any future DL signings needs to focus on quality, not quantity.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

A'Shawn Robinson from the Rams would be nice. 

Kudos to you for having someone in mind and suggesting him - a guy who is a FA, moreover.

I think he's 1TDT? whereas Oliver is a 1TDT, but it still puts you on most folks here to have a FA target playing the correct position in mind

Do you know what the injury was which placed him on IR?

Just now, SCBills said:

It's infuriating that we even have to have this convo.  They should've never picked up his option... now that we have, hopefully we can move him and at least get a pick back.

Ed Oliver eating up 11M in a DT rotation, meanwhile (and who knows what comes available) we could take that 11M and sign the top IOL on the FA market.  Then target WR and G/C/RT on Day1/Day2 of the Draft. 

There seems to be a lot of groupthink in this organization.  Ed will finally have that breakthrough season we've been waiting for, Davis is a legit #2, McKenzie is a capable slot, the O-line is good enough, and on and on.  It's like they convince themselves of these things, but none of them are really based in reality.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Again - 5th year option fully guaranteed

I only want Oliver back if we can also get like 5-10 other d-lineman for between $8-15 million per year. It’s all part of my “redundancy method” (patent pending) of defense where I sink all the team’s resources into an excessive amount of average players. By doing this the team confuses the opposition. 

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He's an undersized DT.  That's not a necessity on this team, or any team.  Good player, but he's a luxury.

Trade him for a RD3 pick.  Take his cap hit and sign an IOL.  

Go into next season with Daquan Jones and Tim Settle as your starting DT's.  Some of our rotational guys can be JAG's...  In fact, they're going to need to be if we want to give Josh Allen real help this off-season. 

A JAG on a big contract in its last year. You're getting a 6th at best because why would anyone want  him to give up a 3rd

Edited by MarkyMannn

He really disappointed this year, no question. We need more games like Thanksgiving against the Lions, Thanksgiving against the Cowboys, against the Jets that one game where he single-handedly wrecked an entire drive. I was all for re-signing him prior to the season, but he disappears far too often for my liking. Even with his pec injury, he should’ve put on a clinic going against 2nd and 3rd rate Bengal OLineman. Should’ve looked like Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald, but I don’t recall a single play he made.

Edited by JayBaller10

36 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I'd argue that when your dline can't generate pressure against backups and 3rd stringers it's already a hole.

It is but you get Miller back and,Rousseau is,still developing.  

Like McD said you can't have allpros at every spot and you can't pay everyone. Oliver is already under contract.  No signing bonus or longer term commitment to bring in someone else. 

I hated the pick then and I still don't think i would commit to him long term. But that is not the decision to be made. The decision is what to do with him for 2023. That's easy. You keep him and let him play out his 5th yr option. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

I couldn’t care less.  Oliver is a prime example of Beane drafting a JAG when difference-makers were available.  We’ll have no problem replacing his “production”.

I think Beane's problem is that they feel their coaching staff can mold a talent to be great. Epenesa and Basham are prime examples to me. Like spit shining some shoes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.