Mike Gesicki is a free agent. Would the Bills take a flyer on him?

Draconator

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

That guy used to kill us.

He is totally underutilized in the new Dolphin offense.

He is solid, great route runner, very good hands, if we had the cap to bring him in - definitely.

Seriously. How good could the boy genius be if he couldn't figure out how to use a guy like Gesicki? Sure he can't block but he's a hell of a receiver.

I think the offense is and would continue to be more effective having 3WR's on the field so don't want to take one of them off the field routinely to go with 2 TE's.  So not worth spending the money for those few times we may want to have 2 pass catching TE's on the field.  I would rather spend money to sign a FA WR or draft one in 1st or 2nd round.  2 TE's on the field are good for weak arm QB's who live on 5 yard passes over the middle.

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

It's known that Gesicki can't block, but he can get open and can catch the ball. Would you want Beane to sign him?

Oh, absolutely. He would absolutely replace Cole Beasley as Josh’s trusty slot WR.

I hear people say that he can’t block, but the guy’s 6’6 250lbs, trust me, he can block, he may need to learn better techniques though.

Gesicki is probably my top FA. Pay him $10M/yr for the next two years and call it a day.

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

He's a damn good player, but boy does that guy rub me the wrong way.  He seems ultra-douchie.

I have only noticed him as a player in the field, but having a good locker room is important too.

A lot of comments about him being douchie, I am assuming there are some things he's done off-field that folks are talking about.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think the offense is and would continue to be more effective having 3WR's on the field so don't want to take one of them off the field routinely to go with 2 TE's.  So not worth spending the money for those few times we may want to have 2 pass catching TE's on the field.  I would rather spend money to sign a FA WR or draft one in 1st or 2nd round.  2 TE's on the field are good for weak arm QB's who live on 5 yard passes over the middle.

I think the opposite.  I’d love to see Josh and Cook lined up behind two stud TEs that can both block, run and catch. Diggs and a solid WR2 out wide.  It bolsters the run game and puts more pressure on the D to stop the run and not only focus on Josh.  Playaction improves.  Run game improves.  Pass game gets some pressure taken off of it while being just as potent.  Most teams gear up to stop the pass-  we would create mismatches in both the run and pass game.    

That said, I doubt we’ll ever see what it would look like.  

8 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

If he can't block then he's a glorified WR, who's really not much use to us.  We need a legit WR2, which he is not.  Gabe was not that guy either in the regular season anyway.  We have plenty of others role players.  I don't think there's really anything special he brings to the table that we don't already have.

This. This. And then this again.

6 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Oh, absolutely. He would absolutely replace Cole Beasley as Josh’s trusty slot WR.

I hear people say that he can’t block, but the guy’s 6’6 250lbs, trust me, he can block, he may need to learn better techniques though.

Gesicki is probably my top FA. Pay him $10M/yr for the next two years and call it a day.

No. No, he can't. Not for toffee.

• Like (+1) 1

He is a great athlete, but terrible NFL level blocker.

If he would take a pay cut and limited (specialized) role, sure. He can catch the ball and run with it. And his size in the Red Zone would be a very nice asset. He could do what they wanted OJ Howard to be able to do.

14 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Gesecki is gonna get paid at least Top 10 TE money.

We already have an under utilized  TE making big money.

Plus I happen to like Morris who I believe has untapped potential.

This! Knox needs to be used more. And I really like the little we've seen from Morris. I'd have loved to get both of them into the mix while we have had our issues with WRs this year.

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think the opposite.  I’d love to see Josh and Cook lined up behind two stud TEs that can both block, run and catch. Diggs and a solid WR2 out wide.  It bolsters the run game and puts more pressure on the D to stop the run and not only focus on Josh.  Playaction improves.  Run game improves.  Pass game gets some pressure taken off of it while being just as potent.  Most teams gear up to stop the pass-  we would create mismatches in both the run and pass game.    

That said, I doubt we’ll ever see what it would look like.  

NFL teams are averaging about 6.4 net yards per pass attempt and 4.3 yards per carry.

When you have a Josh Allen IMO that's a bad idea because of above.  I found that stat for the entire league, I'd imagine if looking at teams like Buffalo, KC, Bengals, you'd see an even larger difference.  Certainly can pass from formation you're suggesting but keeping three wide increases your chance, assuming the three are good to better WR's.  Having an elite QB also makes the WR's and d TE's too look better. 

Having said that do feel the Bills need more WR help than present.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

NFL teams are averaging about 6.4 net yards per pass attempt and 4.3 yards per carry.

When you have a Josh Allen IMO that's a bad idea because of above.  I found that stat for the entire league, I'd imagine if looking at teams like Buffalo, KC, Bengals, you'd see an even larger difference.  Certainly can pass from formation you're suggesting but keeping three wide increases your chance, assuming the three are good to better WR's.  Having an elite QB also makes the WR's and d TE's too look better. 

Having said that do feel the Bills need more WR help than present.

I get your point, but I’m not saying we should run more per say.  Just more effectively.  Create more mismatches vs all of these team playing nickel and dime all game. I’d take 2 knox’s over 1 knox and 1 midget slot with a negative catch radius. Especially a midget slot that can’t block worth a dam.  

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be 60-40 pass to run.  I’m saying that if we ran a lot of 2TE sets with 2 formidable and complete TEs- opposing defenses would be forced to play us honest as opposed to doing everything in their power yo take Diggs out of the game  or play the cover 2 she’ll all game.  We could dictate what the defense does, not the other way around.  Our Rb rush effectiveness would increase.  Our QB rush production would increase and, imo, our pass effectiveness would increase as well once teams started to play us more honest.  

jmo

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I get your point, but I’m not saying we should run more per say.  Just more effectively.  Create more mismatches vs all of these team playing nickel and dime all game. I’d take 2 knox’s over 1 knox and 1 midget slot with a negative catch radius. Especially a midget slot that can’t block worth a dam.  

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be 60-40 pass to run.  I’m saying that if we ran a lot of 2TE sets with 2 formidable and complete TEs- opposing defenses would be forced to play us honest as opposed to doing everything in their power yo take Diggs out of the game  or play the cover 2 she’ll all game.  We could dictate what the defense does, not the other way around.  Our Rb rush effectiveness would increase.  Our QB rush production would increase and, imo, our pass effectiveness would increase as well once teams started to play us more honest.  

jmo

index.jpg.e1a386b217b61e47729e2b1d960544c4.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

index.jpg.e1a386b217b61e47729e2b1d960544c4.jpg

He would be a perfect fit in that type of system.  He definitely has his limitations in the pass game, but he might eventually be the best blocking TE ever. He’s a demon in that department.  Rd 3- I’d be happy with him but I don’t know if he’ll fall that far. Maybe a trade up into rd 3.

Not with our cap situation.  Knox is the clear#1. #2 TE needs to block. Morris is fine, but if they can find a cheap version of Lee Smith I would be fine swapping out Morris. #3 TE needs to be a swing OT. They are going to draft an OT and probably a C/G next season. They will likely need one extra roster spot for OL. They can carry Sweeney on the PS all year if they want. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

He would be a perfect fit in that type of system.  He definitely has his limitations in the pass game, but he might eventually be the best blocking TE ever. He’s a demon in that department.  Rd 3- I’d be happy with him but I don’t know if he’ll fall that far. Maybe a trade up into rd 3.

Drafttek has him listed as #91 on their big board. I would definitely consider even a small trade up in the third to secure him. He would be a piece that would improve the overall oline competency.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Drafttek has him listed as #91 on their big board. I would definitely consider even a small trade up in the third to secure him. He would be a piece that would improve the overall oline competency.

Dane Brugler has him being taken 24th overall by jax in his latest draft-  😭 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, Victory Formation said:

Blocking isn't about size. 

It's much more about want-to. Gesicki doesn't. If he did, he'd have done it by now.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.