NFL greed and when will you turn it off?

Back2Buff

I waited till half time before I started watching, so I have no idea what anyone is talking about when they mention commercials.

When the game was finished I may have been 5 minutes behind, but no commercials and no half time for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I start watching at halftime, then fast forward through the commercials. Will usually catch up to the live broadcast deep into the 4th quarter. If you're not excited to watch the Bills in the 4th quarter, you're not a fan, but just a spectator.

No changes will help, you'll just find something else to complain about. You just want an excuse to tell your friends why you stopped watching football. I have a friend like this.... he only watches because of the parties and uses your excuse frequently. We usually have to keep him up to date on news. (like Damar), otherwise he is clueless.

I wouldn’t call it an excuse, just a reason. For me personally, I don’t watch as many prime time games live anymore (besides Bills games). I usually watch the games in the condensed version, that way I can watch a couple games in the same time as 1 game, getting more bang for my time. 

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I rarely watch prime time NFL games because I hate all the stoppages.  On Sundays they have red zone and you pretty much avoid this nonsense.

It has become a chore to watch the Bills play exclusively, and at some point, it's just too boring to continue.

At least you have players making over 40 million a year.  Props to the NFL for continuing to increase the cash flow, while selling a worse product.

How old are you? Legit question.

It's DEFINITELY not a worse product. The parity and talent and drama are MILES better than in the 80s and 90s because of training, nutrition, and rules changes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's DEFINITELY not a worse product. The parity and talent and drama are MILES better than in the 80s and 90s because of training, nutrition, and rules changes.

it’s funny watching games from the Jim Kelly era on Youtube or wherever, there’s at least 7 or 8 instances where you go “THAT would be a penalty today!” 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The amount of commercials and the length of commercial breaks is so ridiculous at this point, it has killed the game.  An NFL game should never be 4 hours.  You are talking about 1 hour of clock time, and maybe 11 mins of actual game play.

The NFL knows there will be breaks for injuries and reviews, they should not be taking 5 mins commercials after a 1 min drive.  Over and over again, 1 min will come off the clock, and after a punt, there is 5 mins of commercials.

I rarely watch prime time NFL games because I hate all the stoppages.  On Sundays they have red zone and you pretty much avoid this nonsense.

It has become a chore to watch the Bills play exclusively, and at some point, it's just too boring to continue.

At least you have players making over 40 million a year.  Props to the NFL for continuing to increase the cash flow, while selling a worse product.

Well, companies want to buy any commercial spot the NFL will sell them. That’s because the NFL is ratings gold ; pretty much the surest thing in TV these days. Viewing habits have changed and the amount of commercial breaks in football games reflects that. If you had a product that was in seemingly unlimited demand, would you sell less of it ? Of course not. So the commercial break situation is another change brought to you by the millennial generation that you simply have to live with. There are alternatives though: redzone as you mentioned , Sunday ticket or just DVR the game and skip through it later. Maybe just get up and grab another beer. 

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

it’s funny watching games from the Jim Kelly era on Youtube or wherever, there’s at least 7 or 8 instances where you go “THAT would be a penalty today!” 😂

I know... it's funny how I have the total OPPOSITE attitude about the NBA as compared to the NFL... I miss the old NBA with Oak running around and being able to dominate defensively and lament the rules changes, but in the NFL the rules changes have made the game more open and trying to keep players more safe. Emphasis on the word trying because some of these roughing calls are terrible and some teams like the Dolphins were finding ways around the rules.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I agree it's annoying but they are in the business of making money. Aren't most big corporations greedy? The TV networks are the ones that want commercials. The replay challenge is the worst. We all see the replay right away and can tell the correct call but need 2 minutes of commercials first

lol that's really not how it works.

Even with no commercial break, there would be the same time required to finish the review.

At the game they have a clock running for commercial breaks. I honestly feel it has gotten worse the last few years the number of commercials.

Kinds takes away from the game.   Crowd seems a little quieter when coming back from commercial break.

End all is, TV revenue runs the league.  TV people gotta get their money back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Yesterdays game was out of hand in terms of pace but with all of the long reviews added to the extra 30 seconds on all the TV breaks and the extra long halftime it was going to happen. It all added up to a loooong day.

The NFL knows there will be stoppages for replays and injuries.  In saying that, why take commercials when they don't have to then?  College basketball recently adjusted this, where if a timeout taken from a team comes close to the under 4:00 mark, that counts as the TV timeout.  They don't sit there and take another commercial timeout after teams took a break for the team timeout.

The 2nd half already started extremely late yesterday.  In the third quarter you had a stretch where it was 3 1 min possessions for each team, and 15 mins worth of commercials.  

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The amount of commercials and the length of commercial breaks is so ridiculous at this point, it has killed the game.  An NFL game should never be 4 hours.  You are talking about 1 hour of clock time, and maybe 11 mins of actual game play.

The NFL knows there will be breaks for injuries and reviews, they should not be taking 5 mins commercials after a 1 min drive.  Over and over again, 1 min will come off the clock, and after a punt, there is 5 mins of commercials.

commercials wasnt the reason.

when you have a bunch of KOs/ P/ possession changes and injury stoppages as well as play counts you make the game longer.

in the game between it and ravens/ bengals

MIA/BUF had 40+ more ball snaps…most were passes which stops clock.

balt/ cin had something like 16 possession changes. MIA/BUF had something like 31. BUF/MIA had more scoring plays which involve XP/KOs vs punts and that adds time to the game which comes with ad breaks. Evrn without a commercial break it takes at least 2 minutes from XP try to KO ball….and the game clock isn’t running.

in hockey….you have more goals and whistles and penalties you get a longer game

in basketball you have high foul counts correlate to longer games…especially in late 4th quartet with fouls and  time out usage snd subs.

i haven’t been able to find the longest game played without OT or weather/ power outage delays.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, when you're 86 an extra long TV timeout can be the difference between seeing the end of the game or not so I get it.

The stress could have killed her :)

The commercials used to be worse!  I remember 10 years ago some networks would come back from a commercial, tell you to stay tuned for the next quarter, then play another round of commercials!  It made me livid ! 

Lately I am not at all bothered by it, possibly because I channel hop, multi task and the Bills are so exciting the game goes so quickly ! 

21 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The NFL knows there will be stoppages for replays and injuries.  In saying that, why take commercials when they don't have to then?  College basketball recently adjusted this, where if a timeout taken from a team comes close to the under 4:00 mark, that counts as the TV timeout.  They don't sit there and take another commercial timeout after teams took a break for the team timeout.

The 2nd half already started extremely late yesterday.  In the third quarter you had a stretch where it was 3 1 min possessions for each team, and 15 mins worth of commercials.  

I’ve seen a few games where they skip the 2 minute warning tv time out and just stop the click fir 30 seconds.

as I said…..

if you have many scoring attempts with FGs or XPs and this KOs will extend the game.

in the 1st half each team scored 4 time with 9 KOs and other punts. Each KO adds about 2 minutes without a commercial break.

the number of possessions in the first half was about the same as the entire ravens/ bengals game.

46 of 142 snaps  were running plays. The rest we’re passing which added up on dead time because click stops.

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Props to the NFL for continuing to increase the cash flow, while selling a worse product.

…..and, along with N.Y.S. cooperation, for easily refueling my dormant gambling addiction.

Anyone know the cut the NFL rakes in from gambling sites?

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

…..and, along with N.Y.S. cooperation, for easily refueling my dormant gambling addiction.

Anyone know the roughly the cut the NFL gets from gambling sites?

They don't get a cut, but they do get plenty of revenue from sponsorship-- ads, and such.

Pretty good article right here: https://www.ridgedevilsadvocate.com/sports/2022/11/27/does-the-nfl-have-a-gambling-problem/

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Couldn't agree more.  100% unwatchable.  Over-produced commercials and high audio volume makes it even worse.  The answer as has been already mentioned is to DVR the game, and join it 1 hour (1:15 for prime time) and FF thru the nonsense.  The game flows this way.  Its how I've watched for the last decade or so. 

The NFL is a highly addictive (successful) product despite the idiots that run it. 

When it goes to all PPV I'm out. 

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Go watch soccer. Little to no commercials and you can see guys flop around like a dead fish if someone brushes up against them

And then have 10 minutes of "stoppage" time added on each half.

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Speaking of that, did anyone notice how long it was taking for the Dolphins QB to read the play to his teammates in the huddle? If people want to know why the play clock kept running out, there’s their answer. It looked like each play was a full paragraph. 

I was wondering if this was because they were playing a 3rd string QB or whether the fish really needs to fundamentally change their play calling system.

Maybe, but teens these days have a way shorter attention span than the older generation, and in a general manner, are not into sports like the older generation, especially football where there are so many breaks.

If more people of my generation tune out the game, it's going to hurt because the younger generation just doesn't watch sports as much as other generations. 

I always say, vote with your dollars or in this case with your viewership. Boycotting is a legit action.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My 86 year old MiL was complaining how long the game was. She was done in!

You have an 86 year old MILF? Pics?

People keep bringing up recording the game and scrolling through commercials, or finding another TV show.

You people realize that there are people in the crowd, standing in 30 degree weather, waiting for commercials to end, correct?

Regardless this is definitely a first world problem.

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I would say that the early season games are not as good because of the restrictions in the CBA (which I'm in favor of). Fewer OTAs, fewer padded practices, etc. But once mid-season rolls along it seems that the teams are hitting on all cylinders and that the product is per usual.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i had no idea the kids today aren't watching sports anymore.  is that a thing?

edit:  i looked it up and apparently it is!  i had no idea. 

There is a pretty large research being done about Generation Z and their lack of interests in sports.

I think Generation Alpha will be even worse in terms of interest, with them growing up in the tiktok generation.  Very short attention spans.

At least there is a DVR solution for commercials, although you run the risk of seeing the score from IMs on your phone or inadvertently seeing the score elsewhere. My biggest gripe with the NFL greed are the Thursday night games and the additional regular season game. The Thursday games truly put players at risk given the lack of recuperation time, and I think the crappy quality of the games on Thursday reflect it. Expecting players to go full bore for 17 games is also hard on the players (and creates an imbalance in home/away games, but that's another story). The only reason for Thursday games and an extra regular season game is the $$$$$ brought it. Both diminish the quality of play and are detrimental to health of athletes.

37 minutes ago, Success said:

You may as well ask when we'll turn off America.  

The dollar rules here. I'm okay w/ it.

Same, show me a television program with less than 10 minutes of commercials per hour. The only one I can think of is the final round of the Masters golf tournament.

• Like (+1) 1

The commercial breaks are when I usually skim read through the GDT.  Im much too stupid to be able to follow the thread and enjoy the game at the same time, so thats when I try and participate in it.

Sometimes when there is a play review they kind of split the screen with the game in one square and the commercial in the other.  I wish they would do that more often.  At the end of the day the NFL is a business.  They are here to make money just like any other business. They use to cut to commercial after a score and then again after the kickoff.  At least now they just do one break after the kickoff.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

that's because there  are ads on every flat surface in sight.. including the players' jerseys.  A novice viewer could not be faulted for thinking they are watch "Qatar" playing "Etihad", for example---the team's actual logo being present as a postage stamp on the chest.

True, but you’re still watching sports. You’re still watching the team you care about trying to beat another team. Your NOT watching celebrities selling insurance or bad skits about mobile phones, things you really don’t want to watch at all. 

12 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

True, but you’re still watching sports. You’re still watching the team you care about trying to beat another team. Your NOT watching celebrities selling insurance or bad skits about mobile phones, things you really don’t want to watch at all. 

yeah, kinda...

anyway, where you live, do they force you to watch all of the commercials?  even if you don't want to watch them at all?

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

***** commercials!  All they do is try and make viewers feel inadequate unless they buy the commercials ***** product

The commercials themselves have become unbearable , for reasons probably best discussed on PPP. They are the reason we can watch for (mostly) free, but I’d be interested what the cost would be for a fully PPV business model with minimal if any commercial breaks. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.