1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Over the last 7 regular season games Josh had 4 ints.  Burrow had 6.  Burrow had 2 less ints on the season than Josh.

Patrick wasn’t far behind either when you have QBs who are threat to score any play anywhere on the field this happens…game manager types only work if you have tremendous  talent elsewhere the Bills other then Steff Diggs don’t. 

I've overcome the disappointment & relief has set in. One thing still makes me sick to my stomach:

How did Josh not even see the CB blitz coming up on the strip-sack-TD? He walked up pre-snap & was completely ignored.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

How can JA be the biggest problem with this team.  This is maddening.  Dorsey a close second. 

JA is a race car and sometimes you need to trailer the race car because you're just going to get groceries.  We could have saved the big passes for 3rd and long or inside 2 minutes of the half and just let the running game and used some passing like the Morris catch and pummeled the Phish into submission.

• Agree 2

This was a horrible game to watch, especially after we led 17-0. It was 4 hours of stress. It seemed everything was pointing to an upset loss for us: terribly timed timeouts by us, multiple uncalled Miami delay of game, then delay of game called when we stopped them, big pass plays overturned, etc.  We just couldn’t seem to catch a break all game, until that final first down call.    But, a win is all that counts in the playoffs! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Games. Every game is struggle.

Indeed.  Next week if it's Bengals that game will be decided that day by the players that play and how they perform then not on today or last years playoff games.  If Josh plays mistake free and our defense gets the turnovers maybe Bengals get throttled and get sent back to their jungle to try again next year.   Sure sets up some extra drama  and rivalry between two of the better teams in the AFC.  I would love to see them blow the Bengals out and leaving no doubt who's the better team.  If they win 11-10 I'll accept it too. 

1 minute ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

It just doesn’t matter enough. Especially in this game. You’re playing the 3rd string 7th round rookie and your coach is taking timeouts on defense with the play clock at 0. Negating positive plays for the defense. Nearly calling one on the 1st Knox TD.

Meanwhile Allen’s 2ints weren’t really his fault. brown ran the wrong route. He’s connecting on deep balls and some are dropped. Taking the ball out of Allen’s hands isn’t the answer 

I agree, neither of the picks were Allen’s fault.  The ball bounced off Beasley’s chest, and that’s supposed to be his “thing”.  He was open, ball hit him in the numbers.

Then there was clearly some communication issue between Brown and Allen, I can’t tell you who’s wrong though Romo thought it was Brown

All the catches ruled incomplete 🤐

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

He’s completing a bit more than 63% of his passes though. He’s got to be hitting shorter stuff.

Today he was at 59% thabks to all those shot calls

He hasn’t completed more than 63% of passes since the first NE match up. Today was particularly frustrating for me today because it feels like this is the QB he’s been for the last month or two. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Anybody happy about the win today? 

I am.  You'd think we lost.

Miami plays us tough under McDaniel. So what. He's a .500 coach that limped into the 7 Seed.  We're not going to revamp the roster to beat Miami.

That said, this OL needs work in the off-season. Josh needs to be a bit more 2020 and a bit less 2019.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I have a theory. Because Josh has reworked his entire game since coming into the NFL, making adjustments to his mechanics and eyes takes a really long time to become permanent. Sometimes years and years. 

Josh said he took this offseason off for the first time to let his body rest. Which is totally fair. But it comes with some consequences for a guy who’s he to make so many changes. 

There was also that super goofy interview with him, Barkley, and Keenum. They make a few goofy references to how much film they watch. Allen is one of the worst QB’s in the league against zone this year…

I thought Allen played very well.  The fumble was on him but neither INT was.  Romo was pretty clear that Brown failed to run the pattern he should have and the ball bounced off Beasley's chest.

Bottom line was that Allen had over 350 yards passing and 3 TD's. And he played great late in the 3rd and 4th quarter when the game was on the line leading the Bills to 2 TD's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Dorsey is supposed to put Allen in a position to succeed. He should know Allen by now and know that he needs to rein him in.. instead he gives into Allen and calls bomb after bomb. Dorsey needs to go. 

I completely agree.  I wish Dorsey would figure this out but I feel if this post season continues like this on offense, a change is needed. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, billybob71 said:

i get not blitzing burrow or mahomes they will burn you, but a 3rd string rookie making his 3rd start on the road in the playoffs? Blitz the hell out of him! You may give up one or two big plays to hill waddle but most of the time you win

Perhaps a degree of arrogance again; thinking we could handle Thompson so allow the defense to pick up plays which we'll be using in future week/s?

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

An “F” performance on a win?  Seriously?

You need to check yourself

There is plenty to criticize, but a W is never an F

No...they need to check *their* arrogance and stop playing with their food before eating it.

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

I wanted them to win and they did BUT happy? Not even close. Of Tua was playing........well you know. We all know. 

I don't agree. The Bills play that game totally different if Tua was playing.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

An “F” performance on a win?  Seriously?

You need to check yourself

There is plenty to criticize, but a W is never an F

It was a D performance. Too many turnovers on offense, defense had some poor moments, and special teams was bad. 

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

We need more quick release type passes.

It's either a run or a 20+ yard pass.

We need some easy timing passes 

Miami blitzed a lot and the Bills essentially had no hot route. I guess the hot route is chucking it 50 yards.

Quick slants to Beas or Diggs...high percentage throws.  

Not sure what they were doing today.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I thought Allen played very well.  The fumble was on him but neither INT was.  Romo was pretty clear that Brown failed to run the pattern he should have and the ball bounced off Beasley's chest.

Bottom line was that Allen had over 350 yards passing and 3 TD's. And he played great late in the 3rd and 4th quarter when the game was on the line leading the Bills to 2 TD's.

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the deep shots late in the fourth quarter. No logic, not necessarily and put unneeded pressure back on the defense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

It just doesn’t matter enough. Especially in this game. You’re playing the 3rd string 7th round rookie and your coach is taking timeouts on defense with the play clock at 0. Negating positive plays for the defense. Nearly calling one on the 1st Knox TD.

Meanwhile Allen’s 2ints weren’t really his fault. brown ran the wrong route. He’s connecting on deep balls and some are dropped. Taking the ball out of Allen’s hands isn’t the answer 

I don't think of it as taking it out of Josh's hands.  I'm not blaming him per se but there's nothing wrong with taking a safer route that you are capable of doing against an opponent who has far less chances of scoring and especially if you don't turn the ball over.   It also is unnecessary for Josh to be taking those shots like where he fumbled the ball.  Save it for when we need to score 30 or 40 points.  Give teams something else to think about other than meeting at the QB for a big hit.

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I like McDermitt and want him to stay as the HC but there are times when I think he's Branden Staley with a better QB. 

I just can't handle these incredibly stupid poor timed TO's.  How many times have we watched a positive play be nullified by some obscure McD TO?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

That was a tough one and tough to watch, and Buffalo did as much damage to themselves as Miami did. Agree with the positive and negative views of the current state of the Bills but we are still alive and remember, Miami was built to beat the Bills😉

Anyway, it's new week now on to Jacksonville.

I'm just pasting a reply of mine from another thread.

After this game I'm so confused as to what goes on in Ken Dorsey's head and I really want to know if he actually

watches games to see what options he actually has.

I was patient thinking when the playoffs started, we would see a more rounded offense.

I'm not going to worry about it anymore.  I'm 100% convinced it's going to be bombs away to win the SB or bust.

Personally, I disagree with this approach, but I see no evidence to the contrary.  

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Motor should be getting 12 to 15 carries a game, end of story.  If we are gashing and have a lead then mix in Cook for another 10 carries.  If we are in a real shoot out then let Josh take over.  Passing all the time with a lead is just bad game management.

Amen. Cook does not break tackles or fall forward. He does hit a hole fast but when we need to control the clock and run when the other team knows we’re running, you gotta feed Singletary.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

He hasn’t completed more than 63% of passes since the first NE match up. Today was particularly frustrating for me today because it feels like this is the QB he’s been for the last month or two. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Bad weather, an at best average offensive line and a distinct lack of play making skill players is the problem not Allen.  Sure the WINS are sloppy and heart stopping but we're 14 - 3 and in the divisional round of the playoffs. 

I don't get the nit picking criticism of Allen.  The reason the game wasn't over at half was not because of Allen's play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

JA - a few times this year - has reminded me of Houston playoff game JA.  

But he showed great resiliency today. That drive that culminated w/ the Davis TD was special, and happened when his confidence was at a low ebb.

JA is my QB, though thick & thin. There is still no one I'd rather have.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This game means nothing next week , whether you win by 3 or 23. This game was close due to turnovers and short fields that resulted  Dorsey needs to give Josh some outlets to hit quickly underneath vs blitzes, I’m not sure either of Allen’s INTs were on him, have to take another look. 

Allen hit several underneath routes vs the blitz this afternoon. The catches by Morris and Beasley were particularly timely.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.