1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, Beck Water said:

The heart attack rate in WNY and Bills fans elsewhere has to have gone through the roof during that game

I didn’t drink through that game ‘cuz that’s what I fell into during the streak

Now I need beer 

I need a LOT of beer

Season 6 Episode 615 GIF by Friends

I had 4! 

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

McD is in way over his head. He’s not cut out for this. 

Unless he told Allen/WRs to intentionally throw INTs and fumble then I have an issue with this.

My only real critique is being so aggressive with the lead in the 4th Q. I don’t know if that was in the game plan or an adjustment to the heavy pressure Miami was bringing, but I would have rather Motor/Cook see if they can get 8 yards on first and second, and then on third and short make them easier pick up

What I find frustrating is all the evidence is there to say we could dominate teams running the ball.  A game like this we could definitely have tested that theory out.  3rd and 7 they know we are running and Motor gashes them for 7.  We probably could have run for 200 yards on them and been resting our starters in the 3rd.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Do we win that game with Tua playing?

IDK

Probably not.  

Don’t want to be that guy, but I’m not overly excited about how we’re playing. Yes we’ve been winning but the further you go the better the comp.

Edited by PayDaBill$

Just now, Sandhill Mike said:

I was seeing the game clock on TV, which may not have been in sync... but to my eye, they were snapping the ball one or two seconds after it reached zero... consistently.  They were breaking the huddle with 10-12 seconds on the clock and still getting the snap off.  Maddening to this viewer's eyes.

There was a former ref that said once on a podcast that there basically is a .5 to 1 second buffer with the playclock and snap because the ref has to look at the clock and then the ball. You see it happen all the time, mostly if that ball is snapped in that buffer, it’s not called. 

2 minutes ago, Sandhill Mike said:

I was seeing the game clock on TV, which may not have been in sync... but to my eye, they were snapping the ball one or two seconds after it reached zero... consistently.  They were breaking the huddle with 10-12 seconds on the clock and still getting the snap off.  Maddening to this viewer's eyes.

The league needs to get this in order and have a light go on like they do in the NBA for the shot clock. The call is waaaay to subjective 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The fact that the NFL has not gone to a red-bordered play clock when it hits zero (like in basketball) is laughable.  It’s one way for officials to subtly control the game.  Like when they used to let the referee secretly keep extra time in soccer. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I have to hear a legitimate defense of Dorsey. The play calls are awful. Terrible offensive game management. Long developing plays with a terrible Oline. There seems to be no game plan whatsoever. Just ad hoc offensive play calls. 

I think Dorsey is awful. Please somebody prove me wrong instead of posting a reaction or just out right insulting me. Make an argument for this turd. 

A lot of it comes down to execution from players. Not saying Dorsey is without any blame, but Josh Allen and other players have to take some blame too.

Josh chooses where to throw the ball, you know. He is the one choosing to throw it deep time after time. He needs to take his check downs more often.

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Has a coach ever pulled Allen aside and discussed ball protection? Perhaps a teammate? And I mean literally how to protect and secure a football within your hands and arms. It could be helpful. He needs to carry a ball around town all week.

I saw a pregame segment on how Joe Burrow protects the ball so well.  I believe someone at Ohio State worked with him when he was there.  They should start coaching Josh up in that area.

That first quarter feels like an awful long time ago. Do you remember a receiver we used to have? Stefon someone? 

Crazy game - some superb drives and plays and some utterly dumbfoundingly bad QB play and coaching too at times. 

I'm hoping it's that we played down to their level - I can't imagine we'll play that badly again. But yet....we won!

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Do we win that game with Tua playing?

IDK

IF we played like that, of course not. But if he was there I think things would have ended up differently in terms of Bills play calling etc. I do fear there was a degree of arrogance in some plays because it was 'only' Thompson on the other side.

No risk of that if Burrow or Lawrence is on the opposite touchline next week.

Edited by UKBillFan

Just now, billybob71 said:

does Leslie have a 3rd down blitz in his playbook? I don't think so

Guys got no 8alls on 3rd down. 4 man rush, everyone else in zone. This is why so many 3rd and longs get converted. 

To be clear, it’s not his lack of blitz, it’s the keep everything in front of you defense. Burrow and Mahomes will chew that up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Hard to enjoy this one. They’re exactly

who they’ve been. Sloppy. Turnover happy on offense. Josh can’t not help himself. Or Dorsey can not help himself. And it’s his critical flaw.  They don’t have the personal to just try and air raid it out to beat zero. Not on OL , not in WR. 

d. Well. I’ve said a lot about them. And I’ll say it again. They are way worse off than last year. They are woeful in their soft zone. Once they started to man it up a bit. Elam came alive. It’s on McD to shake it up in offseason. Need to change D philosophy - poyer , Hyde and tre are aging / injuring out. Their window is closing. 

Now I’m back to O. They need to shake up their hot routes / audibles plan when they get blitzed / come up against man to man teams. Just chucking the ball deep or expecting Allen to break from pockets isn’t working

Just now, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Guys got no 8alls on 3rd down. 4 man rush, everyone else in zone. This is why so many 3rd and longs get converted. 

To be clear, it’s not his lack of blitz, it’s the keep everything in front of you defense. Burrow and Mahomes will chew that up. 

exactly

Just now, Mango said:

This has been Josh’s go to when he’s not quite sure what’s going on. And if it’s not there, hold the ball and hope the underneath clears out and he can take off.

They need to get some routes where he's throwing it quicker to take some heat off. This offense is too easy to defend and relies wholly on Josh doing something crazy. 

They also need another year like 2020 where they put in a LOT of offseason work with the QB/WRs so they learn to catch his passes which everyone says are harder than most QBs. There's blame on both sides for drops even if the ball looks catchable. 

It's insane that they have gone the whole year without someone being like, "we should figure out how to run a screen or quick slant"

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.