Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Except we're not though. 

Dalton Kincaid is a TE in name only. He's going to be spread out wide in the vast majority, if not all of snaps. He was considered the best pass catcher in the entire Draft by many.

Deonte Harty proved to be a very intriguing deep threat in 2021. Enough for us to have to compete with other teams and pay him a substantial contract. He has elite speed and playmaking ability.

Sherfield put up solid numbers holding down Miami's WR3 spot last year and is expected to be our 5th or 6th pass catching option. Justin Shorter has prototypical measurables for an X WR and you never know how quickly he will be developed.

All of this with Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir at WR and Dawson Knox at TE already in the fold.

Saying we're going into this season just like last season is just factually wrong. We are in a much better position.

Just because you personally feel our additions "haven't proven anything on Sunday's" doesn't mean the moves haven't been made and the roles haven't been filled. Beane's not going to say "BananaB's not impressed, I have to keep adding and forget what I've already done".

Arizona from the word go never seemed interested in moving him, unless there were an offer they absolutely couldn't refuse. They appear to be more than comfortable keeping him. They more than have the money to do so.

Hopkins seemed open to being moved to a contender and embraced the rumors. But that doesn't mean he's going to become a malcontent and force his way off the team. He could very well just be like "it's not happening? Okay, I'll just take the giant bag Arizona has me under contract for".

Even if he were to, at this point with what we did in the Draft and what we already had in place, our financial situation, the positions we didn't address in the Draft, and Beane consistently saying he's not interested - it's really time to let it go.

I listened to Tim Graham talk about his tweet two months ago which said the Bills were not trading for Hopkins.

He said that it appeared Hopkins and his agents were the ones behind these rumors.  His friends like Pacman Jones were the ones stirring the pot.  His agents were probably the ones speaking to the media as well.  This tells you he wanted out of AZ but that they didn’t want to trade or that they knew they couldn’t get enough for him.    

So from a few reports and Jones appearing on McAfee pushing the narrative it made it seem like a deal was closer than it was in reality.

Also I find it interesting that all of the rumored teams interested in Hopkins ended up drafting WR’s (or TE’s in Buffalo) highly.  

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's one target...

And yes everyone understands why they they want the Bills to pick up Hopkins.  That's not the topic of our conversation. 

As for being "double teamed all the time"... not really

Would bet these stats are indicating literally doubled as in a CB & Safety playing man.

Does not account for the high % of zones being rolled his way. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Two points: I believe Kincaid will actually get a lot snaps as a big slot. 

This is not going to help this thread achieve its natural destiny of 300 pages.

Kincaid will get more than a lot of snaps as the "big slot". I expect pretty much all of his snaps to be there. He's a Travis Kelce type - TE in name only. Even Beane said he's not expecting to line him up on the Edge all that much. Will probably be our primary option out of the Slot.

18 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I listened to Tim Graham talk about his tweet two months ago which said the Bills were not trading for Hopkins.

He said that it appeared Hopkins and his agents were the ones behind these rumors.  His friends like Pacman Jones were the ones stirring the pot.  His agents were probably the ones speaking to the media as well.  This tells you he wanted out of AZ but that they didn’t want to trade or that they knew they couldn’t get enough for him.    

So from a few reports and Jones appearing on McAfee pushing the narrative it made it seem like a deal was closer than it was in reality.

Also I find it interesting that all of the rumored teams interested in Hopkins ended up drafting WR’s (or TE’s in Buffalo) highly.  

I agree with this. I think Hopkins people heard the rumors and tried to make the rumors reality. I think Arizona was never interested in moving him.

Now that the Draft is over, pretty much everyone who would be interested in him have gotten pass catchers, and Arizona has made it clear they aren't moving him - he and his people are probably of the mind "get your bag this year and we'll see what happens next year".

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Except we're not though. 

Dalton Kincaid is a TE in name only. He's going to be spread out wide in the vast majority, if not all of snaps. He was considered the best pass catcher in the entire Draft by many.

Deonte Harty proved to be a very intriguing deep threat in 2021. Enough for us to have to compete with other teams and pay him a substantial contract. He has elite speed and playmaking ability.

Sherfield put up solid numbers holding down Miami's WR3 spot last year and is expected to be our 5th or 6th pass catching option. Justin Shorter has prototypical measurables for an X WR and you never know how quickly he will be developed.

All of this with Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir at WR and Dawson Knox at TE already in the fold.

Saying we're going into this season just like last season is just factually wrong. We are in a much better position.

Just because you personally feel our additions "haven't proven anything on Sunday's" doesn't mean the moves haven't been made and the roles haven't been filled. Beane's not going to say "BananaB's not impressed, I have to keep adding and forget what I've already done".

Arizona from the word go never seemed interested in moving him, unless there were an offer they absolutely couldn't refuse. They appear to be more than comfortable keeping him. They more than have the money to do so.

Hopkins seemed open to being moved to a contender and embraced the rumors. But that doesn't mean he's going to become a malcontent and force his way off the team. He could very well just be like "it's not happening? Okay, I'll just take the giant bag Arizona has me under contract for".

Even if he were to, at this point with what we did in the Draft and what we already had in place, our financial situation, the positions we didn't address in the Draft that we now have to address with cap space we have to come up with, and Beane consistently saying he's not interested - this idea is as dead as a doornail.

Doesn’t matter how much you write about them the only one who has proved anything is Gabe. Sadly all that is is that he ain’t cut out to handle the #2 spot. 

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

E James had 5 seasons over 1200 yards, 3 over 1500 and 1 over 1700 in 7 seasons (he missed half a season  and several games in another).  

They missed out on many SBs because their coach was a bum who couldn’t properly prepare them for the post season. 

He wasn’t even close to double teamed all the time as you claimed.  Therefore the rationale of bringing in Hopkins to draw off the double teams is weak. 

Diggs was targeted for a whopping 27% of Allen’s attempts.  That’s as many as Davis and Knox combined.  Then, in the final game, he was targeted 10 more times, catching 4 for 35.   He was AS useless as anyone else on the field, so, no—he absolutely does not get to yell at his QB in game. He can take his beef to the locker room.  But that wouldn’t be consistent with his style….

They missed out on multiple championships because Peyton played in the same era as Tom Brady.   Had Brady not existed Peyton would have won more than 2 championships.    The argument about the trenches, coaches, runningbacks and wideouts can be had all day but the bottom line is the Colts didnt win more because Tom Brady was in their conference.

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They missed out on multiple championships because Peyton played in the same era as Tom Brady.   Had Brady not existed Peyton would have won more than 2 championships.    The argument about the trenches, coaches, runningbacks and wideouts can be had all day but the bottom line is the Colts didnt win more because Tom Brady was in their conference.

Well, Manning was a playoff dud as well.  7 years of 1 and done playoff performances. Great in the regular seasons though...

9 hours ago, BananaB said:

I’m not buying that Dhop is fully off the table. A lot of guys added but no one has really proven anything on Sundays. Big mistake to go into another season like we did last year

Yeah really dumb to again have no competition for Davis and no depth behind Davis and Diggs. Yet another offseason without significant investment at boundary WR.

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Yeah really dumb to again have no competition for Davis and no depth behind Davis and Diggs. Yet another offseason without significant investment at boundary WR.

Who do you think McD will pick come game time? My guess is the guy with more experience. He rode McKenzie all season long until injury when Shakir looked more suited for the roll. And everyone we added has not really proven anything. It’s great they added guys but we need a threat to take pressure off DIggs and chances of one of these guys doing that this year are pretty slim. 

It’s dumber to head into another season putting all your faith in a group of guys who only showed flashes. Worked real well for us last year. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have to say the ship has sailed after the draft.  I'd be shocked he takes a trade and if Hopkins is on the free market he will want (and get)

more than Beane has to offer.  We all have our opinions and mine is it's done.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Like I said earlier - just because he was interested in being traded to a contender and was playing around with the rumors doesn't mean he'd become a public malcontent and force his way off the team when he and the world were told it wasn't going to happen. 

It's one thing to have fun with rumors and be open to being traded to the top teams in the league. It's another entirely to go full meltdown and force your way off the team. I'm sure he's more than happy taking the full amount of his massive deal in Arizona.

This one's been over for a long time. This is the final nail.

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Like I said earlier - just because he was interested in being traded to a contender and was playing around with the rumors doesn't mean he'd become a public malcontent and force his way off the team when he and the world were told it wasn't going to happen. 

It's one thing to have fun with rumors and be open to being traded to the top teams in the league. It's another entirely to go full meltdown and force your way off the team. I'm sure he's more than happy taking the full amount of his massive deal in Arizona.

This one's been over for a long time. This is the final nail.

ImpishDevotedCarpenterant-max-1mb.gif

Zach Ertz, Odell Beckham Jr, DeAndre Hopkins.

If I've learned anything from the 3 it's that hanging on long term massive page threads is fruitless. If Beane is going to strike, he does it fast. Often without warning.

If we're waiting, we're waiting on teams or a player to come back around to his offer in defeat. Not impossible, but also not likely. He sets his price, doesn't budge, and doesn't sit on his hands waiting and hoping the player or team will come around to address the position.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BananaB said:

Doesn’t matter how much you write about them the only one who has proved anything is Gabe. Sadly all that is is that he ain’t cut out to handle the #2 spot. 

And it doesn't matter how much you write about wanting someone else with more experience. Beane chose 3 WR's between FA and the Draft who will all be on the 53 and a "TE" in the first, who's actually a Big Slot WR.

The position has been covered en masse. You can agree with his moves or disagree. But that's not going to unmake the moves he's made. 

We're done there. Now we focus on spots we need to fill that weren't addressed in the Draft like another OT, a 4th RB (which we did), DT, and DE - if anything.

As far as Davis not being "cut out" for the #2 spot, that's why we brought in help with Kincaid and Harty so it's not all falling on his shoulders. Davis may technically be the #2, but that doesn't mean he's really the 2nd option on the field. Kincaid split out wide will become Josh's 2nd option. And Harty will take Davis off the field at times in packages.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Actually, this is not accurate.  Peyton had a winning record vs Brady in the playoffs going 3-2 vs Brady.  He faced Brady 4 times as a Colt (2-2) and once as a Bronco (1-0).  

Peyton doesn't have more Championships because he wasn't the same guy in the post season.  And in the only 2 SB's he "won" he beat Rex Grossman the first time, and then in Denver he was the worst passer in the NFL that season and had statistically the worst Super Bowl game of a winning QB in NFL history.  Tyrod Taylor could have been the QB in that Super Bowl and they would have still won the game as it was all defense and run game for the Broncos that got them a win.  

So I think they missed out on multiple championships because Peyton was the A-Rod (baseball A-Rod) of the NFL...gaudy regular season guy, not as dominating in the post season.  

Manning still holds the NFL record for going 1 and done 9 times in Indy, including several of those being as the #1 seed.  Yet only 2 of those 9 losses were to Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Cheap ownership in Arizona ruined this deal for us. I can't really even be mad at Beane, it simply isn't possible under those constraints.

Dumb ownership would be more accurate since Murray and DHop are going to be 78m of their cap hit next season(2024).

Edited by The Wiz

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Oliver, Bernard, 2, 6  for Hopkins (restructured) and Simmons

likely not realistic, just fun to think about 

Not sure, but when attempting to get a team to consider that trade, Benard possibly hurts more than helps if wanting to make an offer look interesting lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's possible the Cardinals scouts actually like him 

I mean maybe I guess....

But I'm not sure there's much of anything that would make them like him. Maybe if they go back to the college tape? Certainly didn't show very much, or any kind of promise during the few opportunities he had so far. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Oliver, Bernard, 2, 6  for Hopkins (restructured) and Simmons

likely not realistic, just fun to think about 

I mean, it's fun to think about trading for Justin Jefferson too. But just like Hopkins it's not going to happen.

Hopkins being traded to us is dead. Beane has said time and again he's not interested in the deal. He drafted the top pass catcher in the Draft and a very intriguing prospect in Shorter. The Cardinals GM made it clear he's not moving him. Hopkins has publicly stated he's back with Arizona. 

It's over.