We're onto Miami(Miami's headed to Buffalo)...opening line BUF -10! Game at 1:05 PM SUN 1/15

Big Turk

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The current odds on the money line (team wins with no points needed) is Dolphins +425.  So if someone bets $20 they get back $105. 

I will feel dirty (not to mention stupid) betting against the Bills. I mean, what sort of fan thinks "I know the Bills will win but if they lose, I might as well make some money with it"? 

(Yea, that was a rhetorical question, you filthy gambling traitors)

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder which practice squad WR gets elevated for this game.

It's hard to believe they're going to elevate both, and it's equally hard to believe that they're suddenly going to take McKenzie or Davis out of the gameplan.

So is it a Beasley game or a Smoke game?

Or do they throw a curveball, bench the rookie Shakir, and elevate both?

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I wonder which practice squad WR gets elevated for this game.

It's hard to believe they're going to elevate both, and it's equally hard to believe that they're suddenly going to take McKenzie or Davis out of the gameplan.

So is it a Beasley game or a Smoke game?

Or do they throw a curveball, bench the rookie Shakir, and elevate both?

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Rotate in Davis, McKenzie, Shakir 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

I will feel dirty (not to mention stupid) betting against the Bills. I mean, what sort of fan thinks "I know the Bills will win but if they lose, I might as well make some money with it"? 

(Yea, that was a rhetorical question, you filthy gambling traitors)

I've only bet against the Bills once-I knew the Bills would be resting their starters in the 2019 season finale against the Jets and bet the Jets on the money line in a game the Bills were favored.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Rotate in Davis, McKenzie, Shakir 

My point is that they have not been activating six WRs on game days this season. Could they? Of course. Will they? I'm not so sure.

Further, I don't think they're going to suddenly pivot from Davis to Brown as WR2 in the playoffs, especially after Dorsey's effusive praise of Davis this week.

• Agree 2

It's been a little different this week regarding Tua.   Not as much doom and gloom from National media demanding that Tua stays out for the rest of the season and contemplate retirement (as was the case in recent weeks).   

I think there's some wishful thinking amongst talking heads and neutral fans that Tua gets cleared to play and Miami can play close with Buffalo.  At the end of the day people want to see competitive football games.  

I personally don't think Mike McDaniel will have anything to do with clearing Tua.  They are going to defer to doctors..but there could be some organizational pressure to get him in there.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

My point is that they have not been activating six WRs on game days this season. Could they? Of course. Will they? I'm not so sure.

Further, I don't think they're going to suddenly pivot from Davis to Brown as WR2 in the playoffs, especially after Dorsey's effusive praise of Davis this week.

Fair point on Davis.  They can elevate anyone and I could see having 6 WR's or sitting McKenzie/Shakir

46 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

WOWY — With Or Without You. 
From The Ringer, on Miami and Tua:

“Miami’s only win in a game without him came against Joe Flacco and the Jets in Week 18. Tagovailoa also finished the season third in EPA per dropback (0.18), behind Mahomes and Allen; backups Teddy Bridgewater and Skylar Thompson averaged minus-0.03 and minus-0.27 EPA per dropback, respectively.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/1/10/23547484/nfl-power-rankings-wild-card-playoffs-eagles-bills-chiefs-bengals

In a futile attempt to prevent “Tua is garbage” responses: No, he is not Josh Allen. We all know that. 

But he is essential to this Dolphins offense. Teddy Bridgewater is a better than average backup, but they’ve been terrible with him. Skyler Thompson actually is replacement level garbage. If Tua is in there (and stays in there) and doesn’t show any immediate ill effects of the latest concussion, this will be a game. If he’s out, it’s a blowout. 

Tua being that much better than bridgewater is exaggerated imo. They have different skill sets which gave tua a big edge early while there wasn’t much film on the new look dolphins offense but the diminishing returns were huge.  He’s accurate and he gets rid of the ball quick but teams wised up to where he likes to go with the football.  Bridgewater is better at going through reads and improvising when a play breaks down.  

tua is just always injured for tough defensive matchups which makes the total win/loss of the various qbs argument completely meaningless.  The bills and ravens defenses were absolutely decimated by injuries early in the year then tua got a long string of layup games.  

Bridgewater/Thompson started against NYJ X 2 and NE behind a very shoddy oline due to injuries.  the Vikings d was gettable and bridgewater moved the ball fine he just had a couple tough turnovers.  Vs cincy, bridgewater actually looked better than tua when he came in in the second half. So out of the 5 games tua missed, 3 were against great defenses,1 was against a good defense, and one was against a good team with a bad defense 

tua would’ve looked horrible also in the NYJ game last weekend.   I thought Thompson played pretty well considering.  No armstead or Brandon shell, no mostert, and tyreek hill and waddle were both far from 100% 

If we saw tua light up the jets once maybe the vibe would be different,  but he mostly ran up the score against terrible teams imo.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He had a herniated disc in his neck?  There’s enormous variability in how long recovery could take with or without surgery.  From life experience (obviously I’m not a professional football player lol) 6-9 months sounds outrageously overly cautious if you’re strictly accounting for physical healing.  The physical recovery only takes about 2-3 months.  

could be mental things at work for why it usually takes players longer which are entirely on him.  I don’t think he’d be working out at practice if he didn’t see it as at all possible 

Its different for a football player that gives and takes hits.  If he had fusion and cages put in, the bone takes a long time to heal.  This isnt mental thats holding him back.  Its the idea of him being hit while the bone is still not fully healed.  Its different than working in a factory or whatever normal day to day jobs that a normal person does.

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, I asked the same question many pages back.  Im curious who they callup and activate as well. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its different for a football player that gives and takes hits.  If he had fusion and cages put in, the bone takes a long time to heal.  This isnt mental thats holding him back.  Its the idea of him being hit while the bone is still not fully healed.  Its different than working in a factory or whatever normal day to day jobs that a normal person does.

I'm sure he didn't have a fusion.  I doubt he would be doing any sort of light drills at practice with that level of surgery.  

I healed from my herniated disc in my back in 2 months and I never went to physical therapy. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its different from a football player that gives and takes hits.  If he had fusion or cages put in, the bone takes a long time to heal.  This isnt mental thats holding him back.  Its the idea of him being hit while the bone is still not fully healed.  Its different than working in a factory or whatever normal day to day jobs that a normal person does.

Yea that’s true…i goofed on when he had the surgery too so I’d agree it’s extremely unlikely.  Figured it was closer to the bills titans game but it was about a month later.  

4 months I could see it being in that ‘fully healed but risky to return’ window where a player might go for it since it’s the playoffs (assuming the medical staff clears them and depending on the severity of the injury).  But 3 months just seems too risky 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I asked the same question many pages back.  Im curious who they callup and activate as well. 

I’m sure someone knows the answer to this but since all that’s left now are the 14 playoff teams, are the teams not able to ‘activate’ all of their practice squad players? If not, they should be! How cool would it be for some of those players to be in uniform during an NFL playoff game? 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm sure he didn't have a fusion.  I doubt he would be doing any sort of light drills at practice with that level of surgery.  

I healed from my herniated disc in my back in 2 months and I never went to physical therapy. 

Its never been stated what exact surgery he had but the speculation is he had ACDF surgery which is what I and my wife both had.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-safety-micah-hyde-surgery-timetable-jordan-poyer-tredavious-white

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sure someone knows the answer to this but since all that’s left now are the 14 playoff teams, are the teams not able to ‘activate’ all of their practice squad players? If not, they should be! How cool would it be for some of those players to be in uniform during an NFL playoff game? 

Im not sure how many they can call up.  They can still only have the same active on gameday though.  Usually its only 5 receivers for the Bills.  They may go with 6 who knows.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Im not sure how many they can call up.  They can still only have the same active on gameday though.  Usually it’s only 5 receivers for the Bills.  They may go with 6 who knows.

Yet look at the sideline of your local high school or national college team and there are dozens of players who’ll never step on the field but they’re allowed to dress and celebrate with their teammates. The NFL should fix that. (Heck…the typical coach’s niece is there holding a water bottle. 😉)

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Please let Hyde be back. Even if you are slowly rotating him back in that would be enormous 

It would be a blessing if he somehow can return by AFCCG (should Bills get there), his presence has been desperately missed and very noticeable since the moment he went out. 

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

He has a 6-9 month recovery before he can even be cleared for contact lol.  He’s not coming back 

You're probably right, but there's still hope after the "door not closing on a possible return" talk that was mentioned a little while back. So until there's a definite "no he's not" I will continue to believe there's a small possibility it may happen

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The difference between all those WR's is very, very nil and they are all very unproductive.  

So Toney can't get production from Patrick Mahomes but would for Allen?

You're not overreacting to them?  Answer this question.  If the Bills had given up a 3rd round pick for Toney and in 7 games with us he catches 14 balls and 1 TD....how would you feel about the trade?

Bad trade.

18 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its never been stated what exact surgery he had but the speculation is he had ACDF surgery which is what I and my wife both had.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-safety-micah-hyde-surgery-timetable-jordan-poyer-tredavious-white

Im not sure how many they can call up.  They can still only have the same active on gameday though.  Usually its only 5 receivers for the Bills.  They may go with 6 who knows.

If he did have a fusion, I think we are hoping he would be back by August.  

I had a discectomy but heard fusion is a much longer time table to heal? 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If he did have a fusion, I think we are hoping he would be back by August.  

I had a discectomy but heard fusion is a much longer time table to heal? 

6-9 months would make sense to me.  Everyone is different.  I had ACDF with fusion in my neck but it was pretty severe surgery. I had about 5 discs compressing my chord.  Next day had bone shaved off the back of my neck to relieve more pressure. I didnt do so well.  Still have a lot of problem almost 2 years later.  Wife had same surgery but only for 1 or 2 discs and she was up going to the bathroom same day and doing stuff for herself same week.  I was pretty paralyzed for months.

• Shocked 1

16 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

The Niners smashed the Fins with press man as well. The thing with Tua, or the Dolphin offense QB's in general, is they are going to put the ball to the spot where they expect the receiver to be, whether he's there or not. Buffalo rarely tries to mess with the receivers getting to that spot. It's just read, react, try to tackle and if you miss on those guys they go a long way because of the team speed. Cover 2 with Hyde and Poyer, I'd have less concern. The likes of Jaquan, Marlowe, and yes Hamlin are eminently exploitable. That's what happened the first game. The home game, the Bills were getting annihilated with the run game, and they needed the last 2 scores in the fourth to win.

Niners did fine I agree.  But to my point they didnt do as well as we did either time in terms of pass yards.  i agree fins will throw to the spot where they expect a hole.  but i very much disagree we dont mess with the receivers getting to the spot.  you think the ONLY way to do this is by press man?  Frazier knows how to do it by disguising and rotating coverage post snap.  Frazier knows where they want to put the ball and puts someone there they didnt expect.  If you cant run cover 2  with Jaquan and Hamlin then why did they hold Tua to his second lowest output of the season (186 yards!) in the first meeting.  The idea that you have to run press man and cant run cover 2 against them is wrong.  

Agree we got crushed in the run game in second game, but thats a better reason to say dont run cover 2 against them than that we cant stop the pass with it.  In fact, I think we went to more cover 1 cause we were getting gashed in cover 2.  What happened when we went to man in order to bring a safety into the box, was long passes to Hill and Wilson (others too i cant recall).  You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.  The army we have can stop them better with cover 2 than it can with cover 1 (though we are pretty good in cover 2 man or cover 1 lurk/rat).

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

6-9 months would make sense to me.  Everyone is different.  I had ACDF with fusion in my neck but it was pretty severe surgery. I had about 5 discs compressing my chord.  Next day had bone shaved off the back of my neck to relieve more pressure. I didnt do so well.  Still have a lot of problem almost 2 years later.  Wife had same surgery but only for 1 or 2 discs and she was up going to the bathroom same day and doing stuff for herself same week.  I was pretty paralyzed for months.

I'm sorry, Scott.

(edit: sorry, didn't know this would merge.  I thought others would have posted)

I know it would have been a short week, but did anybody else want a Saturday game?

I wanted one badly, and I would have been OK with the 4:30 time slot, too.

I love seeing the Bills win and then having the next day off.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I'm sorry, Scott.

(edit: sorry, didn't know this would merge.  I thought others would have posted)

I know it would have been a short week, but did anybody else want a Saturday game?

I wanted one badly, and I would have been OK with the 4:30 time slot, too.

I love seeing the Bills win and then having the next day off.

Monday is a national holiday, so presumably you're good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Dude, I'm sorry you have to go through that.  I was only paralyzed for a few days until I got an epidural.  

• Like (+1) 2

He had a fusion, unless he had some new type of partial disk removal that I’m not aware of after 20 years in the OR.

When you take a disk out of the neck, you have to fuse the vertebrae together otherwise you get an unstable neck which is no bueno and you could end up a quad.

It’s different in the lumbar area where you can remove a disk and still have stability because of the surrounding musculature 

Edited by RunTheBall

2 hours ago, Logic said:

No chance of that happening. He’s a superior blocker as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Looking back, I feel weirdly confident the Bills would have found a way to beat the Bengals. So many teams started hot against Buffalo. And the Bills always righted the ship, and found a way.

It's wild we've only lost 3 times with what they've been through.

Sucks we lost home field advantage this year. But this team has the strength to power through it all. Starting with Miami. I don't think we will effortlessly dominate (that's not the character of this team, that was more the 2021 Bills who were feast/famine), but a solid win seems in the cards. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.