If Somehow Hyde Returns, We Win The Super Bowl

Dick_Cheney

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

No, it’s never been done. It ain’t the injury, it’s the type of surgery required to fix it and since he had the ACDF as opposed to the ADR procedure, the minimum recovery time is six months for the spinal bone grafts to properly fuse. 

How do you know which procedure he had, I have seen nothing. Just speculation.maybe I missed it.

20 minutes ago, johndhall1 said:

How do you know which procedure he had, I have seen nothing. Just speculation.maybe I missed it.

Still not entirely confirmed, but this article does believe it's the ACDF repair. Which requires a 6-9 month recovery.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-safety-micah-hyde-surgery-timetable-jordan-poyer-tredavious-white

Hyde will probably be able to do just about anything short of contact, but worst case scenario, assuming a full recovery, is that he will be full go, sometime around TC for 2023.

Tbh, if I'm the Bills, I'm not looking at any scenario where he has contact until TC, at the earliest. There's simply no need.

The veteran that he is, he will be more than capable of doing all of the walk throughs etc. until such time as clearance comes, and it's probably not happening until we've had the mandatory OTAs etc. anyway.

While he has been sorely missed, the timing of his surgery, looks to work out nicely, to have him back firing on all cylinders, for the start of next season.

• Agree 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills make the SB that Hyde gets activated, Stamkos-like, just to appear in the game.  I don't think that they are counting on him walking in the first playoff game to be a full time starter for the playoffs.

2 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

Every media report after his surgery suggested a recovery time of 6-9 months which indicates he had the ACDF procedure. If those reports are inaccurate and he had the ADR instead, then we are at the required 3 month recovery mark, which might explain the hopeful rhetoric from Hyde recently. 

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

An injuried player out for the season is better than a fit player?

Yes.  

12 hours ago, KHAN said:

How about a paralyzed Hyde?

A double amputee Hyde is better than Hamlin. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So much of it is luck as we were a squib kick away from hosting an AFC Championship game last year.  The Chiefs almost choked in the Divisional round in 2020 beating the Browns by five.  Browns win that and they travel to Buffalo for the AFC Championship game.   You can debate all you want which of the last three seasons we had the best roster but our current roster as constructed has as good of chance as any in the league.  Having Hyde back (while not an absolute must) would slightly increase our chances.

I agree with everything you are saying.  OP just acting like it's some guarantee.

• Like (+1) 1

Dick, I always hated you but did enjoy it when you shot your friend in the face while quail hunting.

But I have to say, you need to get over this one.   Hyde ain't playing this season.

And yes, it would be great if he did.  It would also be great if we won all remaining games by at least 48 points.

That ain't happening either.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Dick, I always hated you but did enjoy it when you shot your friend in the face while quail hunting.

But I have to say, you need to get over this one.   Hyde ain't playing this season.

And yes, it would be great if he did.  It would also be great if we won all remaining games by at least 48 points.

That ain't happening either.

Not with that attitude mister!!

I have been a fan of Hyde since he played with Packers and was advocating Bills sign him as free agent before he was signed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HydeMi00.htm#defense_playoffs

Hyde has a good career being in playoffs each of Packers playoff seasons starting 4 games and the in each of the playoff games for Bills having changed teams at right time.  He has been healthy most of career before 2022 with 2021 being his best season.  He joined Packers after their last Superbowl appearance however and one thing which might be important to him is playing in a Superbowl. 

Micah has generally been very healthy except for a few games when Dean Marlowe replaced him.  It should be Hyde's choice, assuming his doctors agree, whether he can still play this season. All operations and recoveries are not alike.  I am sure he is getting the best medical and physical therapy care.  He has been working out keeping in shape, actively involved in football room and taking mental reps. Like Tre' White the Bills need to give him time on field and it is hard to ease him into lineup with every game affecting playoff seeding.  He would not be playing on special teams as he has done in past which is where players with limited reps often play but Bills might be able to use him as 5th or 6th DB if they wished to ease him in without sacrificing too much.

• Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I can't agree... he was out there during 13 seconds. Him coming back is huge, but he doesn't make that much of a difference WRT us winning the Super Bowl or not. I would say that Kaiir Elam is the key to our success more than Hyde, because we desperately need a complement for Tre.

he makes a huge difference…the dropoff at safety after hyde/poyer is massive. A lot of what made 13 seconds possible was defenses constantly having to be fearful of tyreeks speed and he’s gone. The dolphins have converted quite a few third/fourth and forevers by hill and waddle just outrunning the defense 

With the changes up front on the D line & given the acquisition of Von if both Von & Hyde were healthy the Bills would definitely be much more favored to be the SB team to win it all for sure but with these 2 out they have put the Bills in a favorable under dog role .

The week that both Josh & Knox did their flips during the game i didn't notice any mention of the NFL network sight 1 mention of either on the can't miss plays of the week & both were pretty incredible ! 

I feel because of the Bills troubles & losses this season due to injury the national media although they are still talking about he Bills are not as enamored with the Bills as they were at the beginning of this season .

Which i would rather have our Bills in that position than the favored team to win it all so they can go in & be the team we know they can be & teach them all a lesson !! But with all that said it will be a harder roe to hoe with those 2 out ...

GO BILLS !!! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Already read it. He could still acknowledge the fact that he's out for the season and not coming back at all. It makes no sense to leave the door open just for someone to say "he had surgery on a herniated disk in his neck, not happening". If he honestly felt he couldn't play at all, there's no need whatsoever to even keep the door open

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Already read it. He could still acknowledge the fact that he's out for the season and not coming back at all. It makes no sense to leave the door open just for someone to say "he had surgery on a herniated disk in his neck, not happening". If he honestly felt he couldn't play at all, there's no need whatsoever to even keep the door open

The article basically says it all.  He acknowledges that the doc is saying that he has a very small chance (1%) of coming back for the season.  Hyde is holding out hope for that 1% based on how he feels and not what the doc says.  1% ain't realistic.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

The article basically says it all.  He acknowledges that the doc is saying that he has a very small chance (1%) of coming back for the season.  Hyde is holding out hope for that 1% based on how he feels and not what the doc says.  1% ain't realistic.

Right, a small chance. As small as it is, the Dr could have just flat out said "you're done, take the year off" and Hyde himself can say "I'm back working out bur I'm gonna rehab for next season". I personally don't think he returns but I think it just makes more sense that he basically says he's getting ready for next year 

4 hours ago, Dr. K said:

This is fantasy. Even if he's cleared to play, he can't play at his former level coming off almost a full season of not playing. In the current situation he would not offer an improvement to the defense. 

Yeah he would with just his football IQ alone in this defense.  He’s one of the best in the league at disguising coverages and preventing the deep ball.  That might be important considering the QB’s we pry have to play in the playoffs to get to the SB.

He’s not coming back from a knee injury like T. White is so I’ll take an 85% Hyde over a 100% Hamlin.  

2 hours ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Yea all players that are not  returning keep practicing on the sidelines with the other players on IR. I said it! he Will be back if we make the afc championship and or Super Bowl ! Mark it down

I’ll mark it down because Hyde will have to be the first player in medical history to come back from ACDF* surgery three months earlier than the minimum timeline for recovery. I wish him luck trying to find any doctor to clear him, let alone his own.

* While all media reports suggest a 6-9 month recovery period indicating he underwent ACDF surgery, if those reports are inaccurate and he had ADR surgery instead, then he is at the three month recovery time for that procedure at this time. 

On 12/30/2022 at 7:47 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Hey, I love Mr. Poyer and Dr. Hyde, but his lifelong health is more important.  If there is the remotest concern he could suffer real long term problems with his neck, I wouldn’t wish that on any loving husband and father.

We have him under contract next year, and these men are human beings.  If there is zero % chance of a serious neck long term injury, then ok.  It seems like the safe move is to allow him to be 100% for next year.

Yea e might feel OK but his healing isn't gonna be complete.  Why put the neck under more stress after some major surgery.  And while there's alot they can do these days I don't think you take chances with some areas that have been injured. 

For that same reason I think Mitch Morse should retire after this season.  I can understand it if he and his wife discussed this possibility and decided to just finish this season and then to retire.  I certainly hope he will as he's likely getting to a point that any hit to his head will trigger concussion symptoms to some degree.  I'd rather see him walk away and avoid further damage.  

Edited by AuntieEm

On 12/30/2022 at 7:00 PM, 3rdnlng said:

Pulling statements out of nowhere that aren't substantiated or at least explained is time wasted. The idea is to discuss a point here rather than do the least work via of a drive-by comment. 

What is the basis of your expectation that an NFL player can return to the field 3-4 months after neck/disk surgery? I stated an obvious fact in response to the question posed herein (it’s just a messagebord after all). You’re reaching and so I’m curious.

Edited by Airseven

20 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea e might feel OK but his healing isn't gonna be complete.  Why put the neck under more stress after some major surgery.  And while there's alot they can do these days I don't think you take chances with some areas that have been injured. 

For that same reason I think Mitch Morse should retire after this season.  I can understand it if he and his wife discussed this possibility and decided to just finish this season and then to retire.  I certainly hope he will as he's likely getting to a point that any hit to his head will trigger concussion symptoms to some degree.  I'd rather see him walk away and avoid further damage.  

Here come the Creed posts. 3 2 1.....

20 hours ago, Airseven said:

What is the basis of your expectation that an NFL player can return to the field 3-4 months after neck/disk surgery? I stated an obvious fact in response to the question posed herein (it’s just a messagebord after all). You’re reaching and so I’m curious.

WTF are you talking about?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.