Diggs throwing his helmet and asking for the ball more

Einstein

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

One thing I did notice from looking at the game logs is in many of the games that are really tight and go right down to the end, he usually gets really high targets. Vikings, Lions & Chiegs come mind. His targets are usually about 50% higher than average(about 15).

On whether things have been kept vanilla or not, I would say 99.9% of our offense this year has been vanilla. Not many jet sweeps and literally no misdirection or trick plays. I like when Daboll would call a double reverse WR pass or the HB pass every once in a while and they almost always worked. Anyways back to the vanilla offense Josh and maybe Beane? stated that there were concepts they couldn't run because of the lack of experience at the slot position. We haven't been throwing deep lately and I'm wondering if that's because of Josh's elbow. Though the Miami was the first game that I thought maybe his arm is getting back to "normal". 

Idk, sometimes the offense is just an oddity.  take the miami game.   didnt really try to run.   lots of trying to take deeper shots.   if there is a dump off option a lot of times its almost in back of Josh or right at the line of scrimage to get plummeled.   i seen one screen that looked great.   then 4th qtr snow starts and suddenly the back up plan is to have a balanced offense and mix up running and josh getting the ball out quick to shorter and intermediate routes.   bad O line...why not do that all game?   to me its like Dorsey and maybe Josh as well want to force this high powered deep ball offense regardless of the situation at hand.   

8 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

One thing I did notice from looking at the game logs is in many of the games that are really tight and go right down to the end, he usually gets really high targets. Vikings, Lions & Chiegs come mind. His targets are usually about 50% higher than average(about 15).

On whether things have been kept vanilla or not, I would say 99.9% of our offense this year has been vanilla. Not many jet sweeps and literally no misdirection or trick plays. I like when Daboll would call a double reverse WR pass or the HB pass every once in a while and they almost always worked. Anyways back to the vanilla offense Josh and maybe Beane? stated that there were concepts they couldn't run because of the lack of experience at the slot position. We haven't been throwing deep lately and I'm wondering if that's because of Josh's elbow. Though the Miami was the first game that I thought maybe his arm is getting back to "normal". 

Great observation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not giving it too much weight.  Diggs' career has taken off during his stay in Buffalo, and he's been ranked among the top receivers in the league.  Right now, Diggs is ranked third in the league in both receptions and yardage, behind Justin Jefferson and Tyreek Hill.   Given the likelihood of foul weather games over the last three weeks of the season, Diggs is probably not going to climb in the rankings anyway.   Lastly, the Bills are on a five game winning streak.  Diggs may have an occasional bout of passion, but if he thinks about it for about two seconds, he's got to realize that he has very little reason to complain.

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

This post makes me want more “do you miss the losing” posts from EINSTEIN. 

But @virgil made the same point today about expectations making the wins less fun and nobody had the same reaction. I mean, I usually don't agree with @Einstein but I saw what he meant with that post back in September.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm not giving it too much weight.  Diggs' career has taken off during his stay in Buffalo, and he's been ranked among the top receivers in the league.  Right now, Diggs is ranked third in the league in both receptions and yardage, behind Justin Jefferson and Tyreek Hill.   Given the likelihood of foul weather games over the last three weeks of the season, Diggs is probably not going to climb in the rankings anyway.   Lastly, the Bills are on a five game winning streak.  Diggs may have an occasional bout of passion, but if he thinks about it for about two seconds, he's got to realize that he has very little reason to complain.

Without a doubt, if Diggs stops and thinks for a second just how much better he has it here than Minnesota or most places for that matter. His career to date:

Vikings - 70 games 4,623 Yds  30 TDs

Bills - 47 games. 4,059 Yds. 28 TDs

By the end of the year he'll be a little shy in yards, but his TDs will be about the same in 20 less games. Also his targets in all 3 years here are higher than his highest year in Minny. And he got paid. What he needs is another weapon to keep the coverage honest. Maybe that's Cook next year if he works hard this offseason on his game?

36 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree this has my attention now doing this in multiple games.

But I don’t think it’s fair to scapegoat Dorsey.

Dorsey is definitely part of the problem with the offense as a whole. Where's the jet sweeps, misdirection plays, the screen game, lately where's the deep ball been or a trick play. For the last month, month and a half, the offensive play calling has been very bland and the only thing saving it is the most dynamic player in the game. This offense could and should be so much more, but it isn't.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

So we have a video of Sal asking Diggs what he means by that — and of Diggs saying, "when did I say that?"

But no video of Diggs answering why he made the alleged remark. 

That to me suggests there is no answer. As in he dismissed the question. If that's the case, and unless there's an actual recording of him saying that, it's all hearsay.

13 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

So we have a video of Sal asking Diggs what he means by that — and of Diggs saying, "when did I say that?"

That to me suggests there is no answer. As in he dismissed the question. If that's the case, and unless there's an actual recording of him saying that, it's all hearsay.

You're 100% right. He said, "when did I say that?" NOT, "I never said that."

I hope there's 1 person in the organization to remind him TEAM>>Diggs.

He's fairly well paid.

• Eyeroll 1

58 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

But @virgil made the same point today about expectations making the wins less fun and nobody had the same reaction. I mean, I usually don't agree with @Einstein but I saw what he meant with that post back in September.

Thank you.

I think a lot of people understood the point I was making in that thread, they just think it’s cooler to be a jerk to someone online than just admit that.

3 hours ago, julian said:

Lol.. the same diva doing the snow slide with his teammates at the end of the game ? 

Exactly! He was so mad about not getting the ball on the game winning drive, that he was the first one to side into Bass after he nailed the winning FG.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Sal responded to Diggs asking “when did I say that?” by telling him that they have it on film from the broadcast. Diggs said “oh” and then went on to explain how he’s a competitor, etc.

I don’t remember the exact verbiage but that was the gist.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I'd rather Sal ask Frazier questions about his defense than to feed into this jibberish

Typical Sal C. question to McDermott, post-game:

"Coach with the re-scheduling of the game, lots of people out with injury, and Josh's elbow not being 100%, it must have been really rewarding to see the boys win this one...."

😂

16 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Exactly! He was so mad about not getting the ball on the game winning drive, that he was the first one to side into Bass after he nailed the winning FG.

But he was mad!  That's just how he is.  He's going to whine on the sideline in tight, close games where we have it tough and he isn't seeing the ball a lot.

That's just how he is, and everyone knows this.  But then it's all good in the end with him.  

That's why this is no big deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's so simple and obvious: competitive and excellent WR knows that throwing him the ball will help his offense move the chains and score points, and therefore win games, and gets frustrated when that doesn't happen AND the offense sputters, in part, as a result. 

Good. His competitive edge instantly elevated the play of everyone around him once he arrived in Buffalo, and I don't want him changing to control outside narratives.

Well throw him the ball more. I like how they finally started using Knox as more than a check down option. Diggs and Knox need to be targeted the majority of times.

Diggs gets a lot of targets but lately I don’t think we’re doing enough to get him the ball.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well throw him the ball more. I like how they finally started using Knox as more than a check down option. Diggs and Knox need to be targeted the majority of times.

Diggs gets a lot of targets but lately I don’t think we’re doing enough to get him the ball.

While I agree with you overall, I'd also argue that Allen is better when he's distributing the ball broadly across the entire field, to a variety of targets. That Miami game showed what I think is growth in the passing game, especially in the red zone. The rise of Knox had something to do with that, and we'd all agree that having 3 targets (Diggs, Knox, and Davis...in that order) who can be featured based on matchups and gameplans, helps a passing offense ascend to elite status.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

Callers mentioned this topic on Sal Cappaccio’s show today, and Sal then asked Diggs about it during media availability.

I didn’t even notice it, but apparently Diggs threw his helmet at some point when he wasn’t getting the ball. And apparently at some other point of the game, he turned around and said “get me the ball!”. I didn’t see either situation. 

Are people making a mountain of a molehill, or is there something.

ee4a2c9f303c414e820457fb3376b6b4.gif

There is so much unnecessary body language reading that goes on in this board. First it’s Cook looking “disinterested” and “clearly he wants out” and all that nonsense. Now people are taking a deep dive into a football player getting angry because the team was having some struggles.

Pretty soon there’s going to be threads about the big dubs videos the team puts out….”well Poyer clearly wants out, he didn’t say big dubs as excitedly as last game. I bet it’s his wife making him unhappy she’s just after his money anyway” 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Diggs realizes it.  There was an interview he did a few weeks back and the interviewer said he thought Diggs was a Pro Bowler before arriving in Buffalo and he said nope.  Then he started talking about Josh and it seemed like he was getting choked up.

If you listen to the Knox mic'd up segment from the Miami game, Diggs made several half-joking comments about the TEs taking all the targets. I think Diggs is a little bit of a diva, and he definitely wants a lot of targets. But that is also part of what makes him great. If he wants the ball, give him the ball.

For those of you who think he’s a diva, I need a better explanation than “well listen to his comments when Knox is mic’d up” or because he got frustrated and threw his helmet. Perhaps you need to explain to me what you think a diva is.

let’s completely ignore all of the comments he has made publicly since he got here about wanting to win, let’s not pay attention to the videos before games of him playing catch with kids or the video from the game the other day of the gift he gave to that boy, let’s not mention that he was basically the first one on the field after Bass kicked not 1 but 2 game winning kicks (go back and watch the Ravens highlights if you don’t remember) but sure he’s a diva 

how the %*#^ did this topic reach 6 pages???

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

For those of you who think he’s a diva, I need a better explanation than “well listen to his comments when Knox is mic’d up” or because he got frustrated and threw his helmet. Perhaps you need to explain to me what you think a diva is.

let’s completely ignore all of the comments he has made publicly since he got here about wanting to win, let’s not pay attention to the videos before games of him playing catch with kids or the video from the game the other day of the gift he gave to that boy, let’s not mention that he was basically the first one on the field after Bass kicked not 1 but 2 game winning kicks (go back and watch the Ravens highlights if you don’t remember) but sure he’s a diva 

how the %*#^ did this topic reach 6 pages???

LOL!  Have you seen the "Devin Singletary not scoring a TD with 34 seconds left" thread at 19 pages?

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, CaliBills said:

the dude is irritated that we sputter in games and he knows he is the best option for Josh.  

I agree, get him the ball.  Design plays, rub routes, fades (where have they gone, back shoulder throws as well) to get him the ball.

There are two ways to play it. Hes got 4 eyes on him every play.

Create plays that get him 1 on 1.

Create plays for other guys as there should be more open space for them.

Just gotta mix and match them.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Jesus

What can I do for ya?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.