Week 16: Bills at Bears on Christmas Eve

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, NUT said:

The weather is going to suck. The Bears can run, the Bills not so much. Not liking the odds.

If the game was in a dome I'd feel better about it.

Rush rankings:

Bears - 1st

Bills - 8th

Rush defense rankings:

Bears - 27th

Bills - 6th

I think we'll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Amaru523 said:

Rush rankings:

Bears - 1st

Bills - 8th

Rush defense rankings:

Bears - 27th

Bills - 6th

I think we'll be fine. 

Yep. I think it's because people disregard Allen's contributions to the run game. He's still going to run. His yards still count.

5 hours ago, NUT said:

The weather is going to suck. The Bears can run, the Bills not so much. Not liking the odds.

If the game was in a dome I'd feel better about it.

You're a NUT

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep. I think it's because people disregard Allen's contributions to the run game. He's still going to run. His yards still count.

You're a NUT

This is one week where the other teams QB rushes for more than Josh. Bills have typically been good at taking away a teams strength and making them beat you with another area. I suspect the Bills will try to contain Fields, stop the run, and make the Bears beat them with the pass. From everything I have read and seen, Fields strength is the long ball and he has struggled at times with the short “touch” passes (sound familiar to anyone we know’s first year or two?). The weather could possibly help the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is one week where the other teams QB rushes for more than Josh. Bills have typically been good at taking away a teams strength and making them beat you with another area. I suspect the Bills will try to contain Fields, stop the run, and make the Bears beat them with the pass. From everything I have read and seen, Fields strength is the long ball and he has struggled at times with the short “touch” passes (sound familiar to anyone we know’s first year or two?). The weather could possibly help the Bills. 

I think it helps, for sure. The Bills figured out Lamar Jackson and I don't think Fields poses any more of a threat. They should be able to bottle him up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Is it just me or is the "we don't adjust and always stay in the same nickel defense" the new "Josh is inaccurate."  It is a statement that I hear over and over again that is, well, inaccurate.   Every time we have a team run on us (Green Bay, Miami), we hear "power running teams are going to destroy us."  Yeah...that's why teams like Cleveland with Chub, or Tennessee with Henry, or the Patriots with Stevenson, or Jets with Zonovan Knight have each racked up like 500 yards rushing against us.  Wait...they haven't?  But if a poor rushing team like Miami can rush for 200 yards, then what happened?  Could it be that we played different differences against these different teams even if we used the same personnel? If anything we over scheme (which may be necessary when missing someone like Hyde).  Zach Wilson, was hitting wide open receivers against us.  Granted his stats weren't great but they were better than his 50% for 90 yards that we saw last night.   Meanwhile, Green Bay ran the ball because Rodgers couldn't find open receivers.  This defense actually does a good job of taking away what they perceive to be the opposing offense's strength, but make themselves vulnerable to the other team's weakness.  Much has been made about the Dolphins running against us.  Yes, Mostert had 101 yards rushing against us in the first quarter...but that means he only had 37 yards in the other three, which is not great.  Our defense changed!!  Of course, that left us exposed to Waddle getting open.  My point is we need to stop claiming our defense doesn't adjust.  It does...even if you seem the same players (including Taron Johnson) out there.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why is it on CBS? Aren't NFC home games usually on FOX?

What's the explanation?

6 hours ago, chongli said:

The NFL now allows the two networks to get a number of games from the other conference each season. ThE NFL makes the final decision, but the networks can state their preferences. This is one of them.

EDIT: here is a good explanation from a few years ago from a FOX affiliate in Wisconsin:

https://fox11online.com/sports/packers-and-nfl/an-explanation-of-the-guidelines-for-nfl-tv-coverage

"In general, Fox airs NFC games, CBS airs AFC games. For non-prime-time games between teams in different conferences, the network of the visiting team gets the rights (in most cases). That's why CBS has the Oakland at Packers game. However, starting four years ago, it became easier to shift games between Fox & CBS on Sundays, regardless of conference affiliation. This "cross flex" tool may be used to even out the number of games aired on each network, or to get a high-interest game more distribution - even if it's on the 'wrong' network. This year, that tool is being used, such that Fox is airing the Denver at Green Bay game, and CBS is airing the Packers at Chargers game."

The general rule is that the network for Sunday games is based upon the visiting team.  CBS gets AFC, FOX gets NFC.  The only exception is the “cross flex” rule noted above.

This week is following the general rule — Bills are the visitors, CBS has the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How did I miss the Bills bringing Kingsley Jonathan back to the PS from Chicago? 

Quick, sign him to the 53 and send Cam Lewis to the home locker room Saturday morning.

9 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Who else is on the bears besides Justin fields? 

David Montgomery who got drafted RIGHT in front of Motor and who I'm pretty sure the Bills wanted to take in that slot.

Cole Kmet at tight end, Khalil Herbert has been strong at RB this year and is projected to return from injury this week, of course.

32 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

How did I miss the Bills bringing Kingsley Jonathan back to the PS from Chicago? 

Quick, sign him to the 53 and send Cam Lewis to the home locker room Saturday morning.

David Montgomery who got drafted RIGHT in front of Motor and who I'm pretty sure the Bills wanted to take in that slot.

Cole Kmet at tight end, Khalil Herbert has been strong at RB this year and is projected to return from injury this week, of course.

I am actually strongly considering grabbing Herbert off the waiver wire and starting him this week in fantasy. He is really good when healthy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wrap your head around this for a second. It is forecasted to be 50 degrees warmer in Chicago next Saturday. Can’t catch a scheduling break this year. Guess we’ll just have to win! 

That's nuts!!  Weather for Cincy game should be good, though, with a chance of rain.

11 hours ago, zow2 said:

A full day off in Chicago tomorrow.  unusual.  Hopefully the team is in a comfortable hotel and can rest up. I wonder if they will do a walk through somewhere (hotel ballroom?!)

McDermott said they wanted to do a walkthrough, and they would do it in a hotel ballroom if no other space were available.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Is it just me or is the "we don't adjust and always stay in the same nickel defense" the new "Josh is inaccurate."  It is a statement that I hear over and over again that is, well, inaccurate.   Every time we have a team run on us (Green Bay, Miami), we hear "power running teams are going to destroy us."  Yeah...that's why teams like Cleveland with Chub, or Tennessee with Henry, or the Patriots with Stevenson, or Jets with Zonovan Knight have each racked up like 500 yards rushing against us.  Wait...they haven't?  But if a poor rushing team like Miami can rush for 200 yards, then what happened?  Could it be that we played different differences against these different teams even if we used the same personnel? If anything we over scheme (which may be necessary when missing someone like Hyde).  Zach Wilson, was hitting wide open receivers against us.  Granted his stats weren't great but they were better than his 50% for 90 yards that we saw last night.   Meanwhile, Green Bay ran the ball because Rodgers couldn't find open receivers.  This defense actually does a good job of taking away what they perceive to be the opposing offense's strength, but make themselves vulnerable to the other team's weakness.  Much has been made about the Dolphins running against us.  Yes, Mostert had 101 yards rushing against us in the first quarter...but that means he only had 37 yards in the other three, which is not great.  Our defense changed!!  Of course, that left us exposed to Waddle getting open.  My point is we need to stop claiming our defense doesn't adjust.  It does...even if you seem the same players (including Taron Johnson) out there.

Sorry if this came off as grouchy.  It's been gnawing at me for a while and for some reason I just feel in the mood to air grievances today.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Montgomery is a JAG though, no?

He’s no Derrick Henry, but he’s not a JAG … In my eyes, he’s definitely a step above Motor as far as consistent output 

15 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Sorry if this came off as grouchy.  It's been gnawing at me for a while and for some reason I just feel in the mood to air grievances today.

It is the season of Festivus after all 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Montgomery is a JAG though, no?

More or less. He averages 4.0 YPC in his career. He has rushed for over 1,000 yards once, but Motor would definitely outproduce him if he got the same number of touches. He has two seasons where he averaged 3.7 and 3.8 YPC and this year he is averaging 4.0.

His one year above that he averaged 4.3...Motor has always had an average YPC in every year above his best year.

7 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

He’s no Derrick Henry, but he’s not a JAG … In my eyes, he’s definitely a step above Motor as far as consistent output 

It is the season of Festivus after all 😂

If by consistent, you mean consistently below average then yes.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Good times!

30 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Have a Festivus for the rest of us. And good luck in the feats of strength competitions.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

I forgot that they were taken back-to-back. Thought I would look up their stats out of curiosity.

Of course, Montgomery has been Chicago's feature back since mid-way thru his rookie year, whereas Singletary has never truly been a feature back (due to splitting time with other backs and our passing game of course---but then the Bills have been a better overall offense than Chicago over that period as well). And it appears that over that span (4 years), Montgomery has missed 6 games and Devin 4 games (so they have both been pretty sturdy/available).

Montgomery:    886 carries, 3,502 rush yds, 4.0 Avg, 26 TDs, 149 recs, 8.1 Avg, 1,206 receiving yds, 4 TDs

Singletary:        653 carries, 3,016 rush yds, 4.6 Avg, 15 TDs, 142 recs, 6.7 Avg, 949 receiving yds, 4 TDs

Montgomery has more TDs (30 to 19), but obviously with more opportunities (as the Bills had Josh, Gore, and Moss running a lot of the goal-line carries). Devin has a better rushing average, while Montgomery has a better receiving average.

If you prorated Devin's rushing average to the same number of carries as Montgomery has had, then Motor would have 4,088 rushing yards.

Not trying to say one is better than the other...was just curious since they were drafted back-to-back. But, personally, kind of glad we have Devin.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

just shoveled my drive (suburban chi) and forgot what -40 wind chill felt like.  just brutal.  

anyone going to this game please bundle and layer up, even ski masks.  

do not expose any skin !  

Going out in a few. We didn't get much. Looks like 2-3".  Truck in driveway has no snow on it.

We are far south suburbs. Almost Indiana. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.