Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

9 minutes ago, wppete said:

Definitely not a question, a statement and an arrogant and idiotic one at that. Not journalism clearly.

and don’t forget the Bruce Smith interaction.

I couldn't catch what Sullivan said there?

Janine Talley told a story about Darryl exploding upon reading a Sullivan piece saying that he had "finally improved enough to achieve mediocrity". (This was in the days when Sullivan legit followed football and hadn't deteriorated into a hack).  Apparently it really fired Talley up and may have helped him raise his game.  But the story was, in those days the Bills players and the Buffalo News staff played an annual charity basketball game.  Apparently for years afterwards, Talley would get with Kent Hull to set pick plays and really work Sullivan over, elbowing him in the ribs. 

I thought better of Sullivan that, in the cause of charity, he would willingly engage to be elbowed around the court by a 6'5" 280 lb dude.  For a bit - it didn't last (edit: my thinking better of Sullivan, that is)

Perhaps sport journalism would be more civil if these types of events still occurred.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I sure do hate to see someone lose their livelihood. And I feel bad that I was a part of it by sending a letter to the Niagara gazette expressing my concern. I would much rather have him go to sensitivity training or a course on women’s studies so he could improve himself. Not the ideal outcome imho.

On the other hand, he’s been a jacka$$ for years. I thought he’d turned a corner, but he’s always asked questions just to try to get a reaction from players & coaches, not for any journalistic merit. I’ve done my best to ignore him, but in such a small market it is hard to actively avoid his schtick. I won’t miss it. 

hopefully he takes the time to do some genuine introspection and comes back a better man. 

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't necessarily agree with his opinion and I agree that they have every right to fire him if that's really what they truly want to do. I have a problem with people demanding he be fired and his press pass revoked like what I've seen online today. If someone wants to employ him and there are readers with differing opinions than yours that enjoy his snark then so be it, I'll read something else if I don't agree. But you can't just cancel somebody because you don't agree with them. Trying to silence only one side is very authoritarian and always ends badly throughout history. Open dialogue has proven it's importance as far back as ancient Greece and is the basis of our current democratic society. 

If you feel all people have a right to their opinion, what is the problem with people demanding that he be fired?  They are stating their opinion.  Isn't that part of open dialogue?  Why do you have a problem with them expressing their opinion, if they're strongly enough moved to want to do it?

I think you've got things mixed.  "Open dialogue" does not mean "guy has a right to a platform at a specific employer".  Being fired by an employer does not mean Sullivan is being "cancelled".  He is free to take his opinion down the road and work for someone else, or self-publish, or start a blog/subscriber service like Ty Dunne did, or stand on box on a street corner.  If readers with differing opinions enjoy his brand of snark as you say, then surely he won't want for an audience.

It has probably never been easier in the history of Humanity for people to reach a large audience by multiple means.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Sounds like you don't like his opinion, and that's your opinion but not the opinion of everyone. I called my wife at the mall to tell her what happened and she said yea that football sports guy sounds like real a meanie and then she asked what I wanted her to make me for dinner and if I could record Housewives for her. She didn't seem too bothered by it but as men we have to support our fragile women, ya know!

If they want to fire him that's their option. I'm speaking to the Karen's that probably called them 100 times today to voice their displeasure and force their hand. Get a job 

So he should get to voice his racist or sexist biased comments, but people should not be allowed to complain about what he chose to say - that is just stupid.

He 100% has a right to say the idiotic comments he made and anyone offended has 100% rights to call his work to complain or call him out on social media.  

His employer also has 100% right to fire his butt for the stupid comments he made.

Your wife has her right to be offended or not or maybe not even be real as no one knows you, but her opinion on the matter does not invalidate the 100s of thousands that are offended.

And as has been shown - the men do not have to stand up for the women - there are plenty of proud, strong, intelligent women that are doing just fine on their own.  That does not mean men should not agree and support the women if that is their belief.

We all have rights and the rights of your so called “Karen’s” are just as valid and important as anyone else’s.

Hopefully through this Jerry will get exactly what he deserves, but like so many other ignorant people - he will blame cancel culture and Karen’s rather than look in the mirror for the real problem.

🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

There you go assuming something you don't like means everybody doesn't like it. We all have our own opinions, our own humor, our own perspective. But these days you have to have the same opinion as a certain group or you are cancelled apparently. How about everyone put the pitchforks down and mind their own business? He who is without sin cast the first stone

What Crap!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, todd said:

I sure do hate to see someone lose their livelihood. And I feel bad that I was a part of it by sending a letter to the Niagara gazette expressing my concern. I would much rather have him go to sensitivity training or a course on women’s studies so he could improve himself. Not the ideal outcome imho.

On the other hand, he’s been a jacka$$ for years. I thought he’d turned a corner, but he’s always asked questions just to try to get a reaction from players & coaches, not for any journalistic merit. I’ve done my best to ignore him, but in such a small market it is hard to actively avoid his schtick. I won’t miss it. 

hopefully he takes the time to do some genuine introspection and comes back a better man. 

I wouldn't waste many brain cycles on the bad feels.  For all you know:

1) Niagara Gazette may have had problems with Sullivan's behavior for some time but not considered it rose to fireable levels, and this was the proverbial "straw"

2) They may have asked him to go to some kind of training or take some kind of course and he told them to go get hosed

Me, I think when someone tells you who they are, Believe Them.  Sullivan says he's a "31 year veteran of Buffalo journalism" so he's at least in his mid-50s, possibly a decade older.   I'm sure in that time, he's met thousands if not 10s of thousands of competent female media members and female fans who can diagram a play and critique the details of a player's performance with the best of them, as well as thousands if not 10s of thousands of male fans who actually don't want to hear a critical word and who think "fan" = "cheerleader".

I don't think a few hours of sensitivity training are gonna change the core beliefs of someone who must have that background yet can still come out with that Dreck

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If you feel all people have a right to their opinion, what is the problem with people demanding that he be fired?  They are stating their opinion.  Isn't that part of open dialogue?  Why do you have a problem with them expressing their opinion, if they're strongly enough moved to want to do it?

I think you've got things mixed.  "Open dialogue" does not mean "guy has a right to a platform at a specific employer".  Being fired by an employer does not mean Sullivan is being "cancelled".  He is free to take his opinion down the road and work for someone else, or self-publish, or start a blog/subscriber service like Ty Dunne did, or stand on box on a street corner.  If readers with differing opinions enjoy his brand of snark as you say, then surely he won't want for an audience.

It has probably never been easier in the history of Humanity for people to reach a large audience by multiple means.

This X 1000.

After the press conference with Josh, I was so irritated, (mostly all the time by Sullivan) but the fact he always focuses on shock stuff. It was almost an FU to the Bills and to Josh. Glad Josh gave him those FU eyes back followed by ‘OK’ back to Jerry. 

I get it.

It’s his schtick.

Well, it bit him finally.

Bye Jerry! 

Edited by KollegeStudnet

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

We will see - if his comments cost him his gig at the “newspapers” where he worked - then the Bills can easily pull his credentials as he no longer represents subscribers in the area.

Yeah but he still is a member of WIVB digital and that is where he got the credentials issued.  They still have not fired him as of now 

people being fired for making stupid comments is not solely  a current development. Does anyone remember "Jimmy the Greek"? He was canned from his job in 1988 for racist comments. It is not a new concept just sayin'

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its amazing to me that in 2022, after 10+ years of clickbait driving ad sales, that this board is willfully helping line Jerry or Nick or Skips pockets and feeding them the exact attention and clicks that they need.

Not even being snarky, its pathetic. Your feelings are being manipulated and used against you. Stop it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Sullivan got what was coming to him. Karma. But check out his waterboy still making excuses:

Wow. John Wawrow is another arrogant hack in the Buffalo media. A miserable person. He is no different then Jerry Sullivan. These two idiot Hacks have no business covering the Bills.

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Sullivan got what was coming to him. Karma. But check out his waterboy still making excuses:

There we go!  "I can't be sexist!  Some of my best friends are women!": "He can't be sexist!  He covers female athletes and women's sports!"

What do you call sports reporters of the same era bonding together and having each other's backs? 

The "thin ink line"?  The "typewriter ribbon connection"? 

Anyway, it's admirable in @john wawrow to defend Jerry Sullivan but sorry, if he sincerely respected women I don't see how he comes out with either of those comments - the one about women fans "not understanding critical journalism" and "just wanting to be cheerleaders" OR the one about "women are better than men".

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Comments against men, too.

I’m not sure which part pukes me most, the part where women are the worst fans, or the part where “generally, women are better than men”

Gross all around, can we finally be done with this unmitigated #######?  

In no way does it make up for dunking on women fans, to then turn around and dunk generally on men. 

Yuck

I'm just glad that I have no reason to be able to make that comparison. 

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Its amazing to me that in 2022, after 10+ years of clickbait driving ad sales, that this board is willfully helping line Jerry or Nick or Skips pockets and feeding them the exact attention and clicks that they need.

Not even being snarky, its pathetic. Your feelings are being manipulated and used against you. Stop it

One of those things is not like the other in this case.

Nick, as obnoxious as he can be, plays a part of being a Chiefs homer and pissing on the bills because.... it generates clicks

Skip, as obnoxious as he can be, plays a part of being a Mayfield homer and pissing on Allen because... it generates clicks

Jerry, as obnoxious as he can be, made a statement at a Q and A media session and then went on to have a few drinks and talk down on both men and women because... ???

In all 3 cases, my feelings are pretty much intact but one stands out a little differently than the others.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Anyway, it's admirable in @john wawrow to defend Jerry Sullivan but sorry, if he sincerely respected women I don't see how he comes out with either of those comments - the one about women fans "not understanding critical journalism" and "just wanting to be cheerleaders" OR the one about "women are better than men".

I don't see it as admirable. It's gross.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Comments against men, too.

I’m not sure which part pukes me most, the part where women are the worst fans, or the part where “generally, women are better than men”

Gross all around, can we finally be done with this unmitigated #######?  

In no way does it make up for dunking on women fans, to then turn around and dunk generally on men. 

Yuck

So he hates everyone and everything just like we all thought ?

18 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You’d think they would have acted already

Maybe they're just sleeping on it to see if the furor dies down and maybe they'll keep him.

15 minutes ago, wppete said:

Wow. John Wawrow is another arrogant hack in the Buffalo media. A miserable person. He is no different then Jerry Sullivan. These two idiot Hacks have no business covering the Bills. 

He really isn't any of that.  He isn't a columnist; he's a sports journalist, working for a media outlet with a high standard for verifying sources and requiring multiple sources with direct knowledge.  He comes well-armed to a battle of wits, and has been an occasional (but valued) contributor here for years (though he did recently kinda stalk off in a snit)

He's defending his friend, which is a trait most of us find admirable and hope to find in our own friends.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Maybe they're just sleeping on it to see if the furor dies down and maybe they'll keep him.

He really isn't any of that.  He isn't a columnist; he's a sports journalist, working for a media outlet with a high standard for verifying sources and requiring multiple sources with direct knowledge.  He comes well-armed to a battle of wits, and has been an occasional (but valued) contributor here for years (though he did recently kinda stalk off in a snit)

He's defending his friend, which is a trait most of us find admirable and hope to find in our own friends.

I am going to have to disagree with you. I’ve been following the Bills for decades and have listened and read John Wawrow for a while, he is just a miserable, negative, arrogant guy who is all about drama. Nothing positive to say ever.  My opinion and know many others who feel the same way. You have a different opinion and that yours. 

14 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

I don't see it as admirable. It's gross.

You're entitled to your opinion.  @john wawrow made it clear he was not condoning or defending Sullivan's comments, just presenting a different aspect of his colleague. 

Most of us want friends who have our back and will point out our good sides when we mess up in a public way.  YMMV.

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

I am going to have to disagree with you. I’ve been following the Bills for decades and have listened and read John Wawrow for a while, he is just a miserable, negative, arrogant guy who is all about drama. Nothing positive to say ever.  My opinion and know many others who feel the same way. You have a different opinion and that yours. 

Yep, We disagree 5x5

• Disagree 1

There is validity to most opinions in some form or another, especially to the holder of the opinion. Those feelings come from somewhere real, misguided or not. It doesn't make the opinion right or wrong. it's an opinion. 

BUT there are opinions you can't share publicly. You can't say them out loud. And if you do, the result will be what it is always going to be. Difficult to feel bad for people who cross that line. I hope Jerry has put his money away and will be able to have a reasonable retirement if that is the direction he chooses (or is chosen for him)

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It does make you wonder but I’m against this idea because Jerry still works for 2 legit news organizations that cover the team.  I think the Bills PR staff will be conscious of how the move would be perceived.  As much as they might not like them, the organization needs the media and doesn’t want to give the appearance that they’ll boot you if a reporter asks a critical question.  It would have to be more personal of a situation 

That’s why I said “this would give them the cover that they need.” They probably wanted him out following the “Super Bowl offense” comment. It’s in their best interest to not censor that (even if they wanted to).

With the comments of yesterday they can pull his credential under the premise of “misogyny has no place in our organization.” They might not play that hand with other reporters, but with Sully it is possible. He has been hated within those walls for 35+ years. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.