Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

I hate how complicated everything has become. This is a really simple case. Jerry Sullivan publicly stated "women are the worst fans" in an era when more women watch football than ever before. He has female colleagues at every media outlet that employs him. Those media outlets have female readers. And it's not like Jerry Sullivan the lifelong troll is doing his part to bring in a train of new subscribers. So his employers have made the rather easy decision to part ways with him. No cancel culture or free speech violations here. This is basic capitalism in action.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate how complicated everything has become. This is a really simple case. Jerry Sullivan publicly stated "women are the worst fans" in an era when more women watch football than ever before. He has female colleagues at every media outlet that employs him. Those media outlets have female readers. And it's not like Jerry Sullivan the lifelong troll is doing his part to bring in a train of new subscribers. So his employers have made the rather easy decision to part ways with him. No cancel culture or free speech violations here. This is basic capitalism in action.

I think it's pretty simple, really.  

The WNY sports media has been literally pointless/useless for many years........first totally neutered by the power wielded by sole ownership of both pro sports teams and then systematically weakened by the very limited earnings potential of the print/internet/radio media.

I'm surprised Niagara Gazette can still pay people so that they can even technically "fire" them.

Social media is our local sports media now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I do kinda agree with him on this point. It is unfortunate that one stupid and offensive comment can ruin all the positives a person has done. That’s what bothers me with mob rule. Every single person lambasting Sullivan for his stupid comment has undoubtably said something equally as stupid and offensive in their life as well. And 99% of them did not lose their livelihoods over it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I do kinda agree with him on this point. It is unfortunate that one stupid and offensive comment can ruin all the positives a person has done. That’s what bothers me with mob rule. Every single person lambasting Sullivan for his stupid comment has undoubtably said something equally as stupid and offensive in their life as well. And 99% of them did not lose their livelihoods over it.

Of course we have. Everyone has. The difference is I'm not publicly belittling the people I'm suppose to be appealing to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Really, it's not as much about "one stupid comment" as it is about years of stupid comments and antagonizing questions. His schtick went out with Coach Chuck Dickerson's name-calling and general misery.

Like just last postgame where Jerry asked Josh, “It doesn’t look like an offense that’s good enough to win a Super Bowl right now.” What a foolish "question". Did he expect to get Josh riled up or something? Jerry's just a clown in street clothes. He's right where he should be, unemployed, again.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

he's made more than one stupid comment

Just now, nucci said:

he's made more than one stupid comment

He's been a habitual line-stepper for as long as I can remember.  This time he crossed it and did it right after receiving national attention for saying "the team doesn't look like a super bowl team".

It makes me wonder, was he scheduled to be on that show before he made his comment or not?

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Of course we have. Everyone has. The difference is I'm not publicly belittling the people I'm suppose to be appealing to.

True.

The rest of us have simply made our offensive comments in private. Not public.

That gives us the ability to pretend to have a moral high ground on this issue. Skeletons stay in the closet.

• Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not even sure how anyone could figure out what he is saying there. The audio is so bad. Or even how anyone found that.

What the hell is that thing anyway? What a dweeb that one guy is trying so hard to get a "look". Belt over the shoulder, winter hat, sunglasses. ugh.

In fairness, their podcast is named Trainwreck.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His employer didn’t want him representing them because of his sexist, embarrassingly incorrect public  comments so they fired him. Nothing to do with the 1st amendment. He’s free to say whatever he wants and will have a lot more time to do so. 

Agree. The employer has every legal right to fire him. However, the punishment sure does feel extreme. A heart felt apology by Jerry should have been enough. Imho, it's an overaction. I always liked Jerry because he often asked questions or made comments that others were afraid to make. There is worth and value in that. Look at the 13 seconds and how that was pretty much swept under the rug. Never would have happened in a market like Chicago, NY, or Philly. Coach McD and others would have been pressed and pressed until the media was given some resemblance of a credible answer. With Jerry gone, now there will be a happy circle jerk for everyone . 

Times have really changed. I remember the days as a kid when there was a good old fashioned fist fight. Not anymore. 

Edited by newcam2012

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. The employer has every legal right to fire him. However, the punishment sure does feel extreme. A heart felt apology by Jerry should have been enough. Imho, it's an overaction. I always liked Jerry because he often asked questions or made comments that others were afraid to make. There is some worth and value in that. Look at the 13 seconds and how that was pretty much swept under the rug. Never would have happened in a market like Chicago, NY, or Philly. Coach McD and others would have been pressed and pressed until the media was given some resemblance of a credible answer. With Jerry gone, now there will be a happy circle jerk for everyone . 

Times has really changed. I remember the days as a kid when there was good old fashioned fist fights. Not anymore. 

but he never really asked tough questions professionally...always with a smirk or smart ass comment to follow. There's a difference and he just wanted attention

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

WHO WILL WRITE FOR THE WOMEN IF WE DONT HAVE JERRY

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

33 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The rest of us have simply made our offensive comments in private. Not public.

That gives us the ability to pretend to have a moral high ground on this issue. Skeletons stay in the closet.

There's a difference between what you can do in private and what you can do at work. If a person gets fired for being drunk on the job, you wouldn't defend them by saying, "The rest of us have simply gotten drunk in private. That gives us the ability to pretend to have a moral high ground on this issue."

Or would you?

Edited by WhoTom
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NUT said:

Nothing

Now if Steve Young said that, oh boy.

And what if Steve Young had used a word that is considered derogatory toward, say, Mormons?  What then?

Context matters.

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

Huh, a journalist gets fired and pitchforked for saying something stupid which is protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution.  

Isn't it ironic,  don't ya think. 

The First Amendment does not say what you think it says.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, nucci said:

but he never really asked tough questions professionally...always with a smirk or smart ass comment to follow. There's a difference and he just wanted attention

I think he did both. His latest comment was a good example of what you are saying. Clearly, he could have asked Josh why do you think this offense is good enough to win the super Bowl? It's recent play indicates it might not be. Instead, he choose to give his opinion or comment without a question. Obviously, Jerry is a very smart journalist. This wasn't accidental. I'm not sure what his intentions were. 

As a fan of the Bills, I liked what Sullivan brought to the table. His articles were often very good, accurate, controversial, and created a buzz. He's really one of the few Buffalo journalists that was extremely critical of players and coaches. Perhaps, to a fault but I do believe what he did was benifical to fans. Brings me back to the days of Larry Felser. I'm showing my age here. I miss Larry and his opinions. I'm sure I will miss Sullivan's work as well. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Have I said something stupid or tactless in my life?  Undoubtedly, including things that were taken differently than I intended them.  And, thinking back, those things I said have had consequences - a job I didn't get, a role for which I was passed over, a friendship that withered etc.

The point is - actions, including single actions, have consequences.  That's life.  That's how it is.  There are people in prison because of one stupid choice.  And, there are people fired because of one stupid choice.  Now Sullivan is one of them. 

As for what Sullivan says here, this is shear "I can't be a misogynist, some of my best friends are women!" stuff.  If those stories about women's sports have a readership, they won't go untold. The papers that employed Sullivan will....wait for it....employ someone else to write those stories, maybe a young hardworking reporter who has been waiting for their chance.  It's not like there's a shortage of well-trained journalists looking for work.

Sullivan lost his job, not his "livelihood".  He is free to seek employment with other media outlets, or start a blog/podcasts as Ty Dunne did.  If he can not obtain said employment or develop a following of subscribers, I think the chances are pretty good that will be based upon the full body of his work and demeanor, not this one incident.

PS would also like to clarify that the stupid or tactless things I have said did not rise nearly to the level of the blanket stereotyping and prejudice of Sully's Bon Mots.  And they still had consequences.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

...And it's not like Jerry Sullivan the lifelong troll is doing his part to bring in a train of new subscribers.

Sullivan's annual column during training camp insulting the Bills organization, the players, and the fans' intelligence was the reason I quit reading his work in the Buffalo News - and I do not consider myself a true Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 1

It never ceases to amaze me how many people fail to comprehend what the first amendment actually says, and what it actually protects.

There seems to be this notion that "free speech" means "protected from any and all potential consequences, including being let go by a privately owned business because you're hurting their bottom line".

Any time a company says "you're not worth the trouble you're causing our company with your comments or actions, so we're letting you go", many conflate it with an "infringement on free speech" and scream about cancel culture. In actuality, it's just an example of free market capitalism in its purest form. No more, no less.

Many of the people that scream the loudest about the constitution have never actually read it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Have I said something stupid or tactless in my life?  Undoubtedly, including things that were taken differently than I intended them.  And, thinking back, those things I said have had consequences - a job I didn't get, a role for which I was passed over, a friendship that withered etc.

If you’re being honest, the majority of stupid things you’ve said in your life had no consequences outside of a momentary cringe.

14 hours ago, muppy said:

it would appear that mr sullivan has no paying venue left for which to garner clicks.   He now conceivably has time to write a book. Him doing so would surprise me zero.

Is it true that even bad publicity is good publicity? He does have supporters....somewhere ......probably some even now

I see him hiring a reputation rebuilding type PR firm who will advise him in how to salvage some credibility with the masses who now think he is just a hack with wack opinions.

I think so, in certain venues. Personally, I think phrase could safely be updated to "there is no such thing as bad clicks".  Staying relevant, or "part of the conversation", even in a negative way, is for sure better for him than nothing.

I can't see him rebuilding a good reputation he never had in Buffalo. Going from heel to face is tough!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If you’re being honest, the majority of stupid things you’ve said in your life had no consequences outside of a momentary cringe.

I'm sure that's true for everyone - likely including Jerry Sullivan. 

But we're really not talking about the "majority of stupid things" here, are we?  Let's not shift the field. 

For Sullivan, you're lamenting that he lost his job(s) as a result of one stupid thing said in a context that matters to his profession: on video, in a podcast, from a journalist.  It's not like he was in a bar with 3 friends and one of them was surreptitiously recording him and putting it out on TikTok.

I don't think most successful professionals say that many stupid things in situations relevant to their professional career.  And when stupid things are said in situations relevant to their professional career (or high profile to a friendship), consequences are not uncommon.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For Sullivan, you're lamenting that he lost his job(s)

No. Im okay with him losing his job in this situation. Not just for this comment but his overall demeanor toward the teams he writes about. We need a journalist that will ask tough questions, but we dont need them to be a dick about it.

In general (not Sullivans situation), I am lamenting a culture that allows no room for mistakes without life altering consequences. I am in favor of a society that helps rehabilitate people more than punish them.

Don't let the door hit you in the ... Jerry!

Personally, I never understood this guy.  How someone from Providence RI winds up in BUF as a featured sportswriter with the only major newspaper in town is beyond me.  He couldn't hold a candle to Larry Felser, Milt Northrup or Jim Kelley - fellow writers at the Buffalo News.

Jerry seemed to have the now ubiquitous fault of not just wanting to report the news, but to be a part of the news.  

Moral of the Story:  Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The consequences he faced were all about what he does for a living/who his employers were.

If Jerry Sullivan got a DWI a week ago, he wouldn't have lost his job.

If the CEO of M.A.D.D. gets a DWI, she's getting fired before she sobers up.

Sullivan has no one to blame but himself.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not to mention a big part of his job involves covering the Bills and Sabers , probably not a good idea to employ a guy to cover the teams who thinks their owner/ president is the worst. 

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Look, man.  As long as someone picks up the slack and we still get Medaille bowling updates, everything is going to be okay.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It looks like he is 65, so kind of at retirement age......heck of a way to go out.....I agree with you.  I would not want to be judged based on one stupid thing I said.   However, we all know how the world has changed regarding these types of things.

Just a comment that I did not say the things quoted and attributed to me in your post.  They were said by Einstein.

I don't know how they wound up attributed to  me, but for courtesy and to avoid confusion, I would be obliged if you could correct the attribution.

You could edit your post to delete the quote and paste in this link instead.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

he aint working again in the paid , as in employee, realm. He can join substack and go the Ty Dunne route, but that's about it.

I'm not entirely sure about this.  It depends upon the scope of jobs he's willing to take and where.

If he wants to stay in conventional media in the Greater Buffalo/Niagara Falls area I think he was sort of at his last stand already working for the Niagara Gazette etc, so you would be right there.

But more globally, there seems to be a market for journalists who want to be pricks and ***** stirrers on podcasts and so forth, and if the Buffalo Bills continue successful I would think he could go that route and successfully market himself there. 

I'm not sure that's what he wants at this stage in his career though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.