Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/television/jerry-sullivan-fired-by-wivb-and-two-newspapers-for-sexist-podcast-comments/article_44de68be-7b32-11ed-a042-7bff12def66d.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheBuffaloNews

I haven't posted on this forum for about 10 years. I wanted to post once again simply to say "good riddance" to the hack writer Jerry Sullivan, an unfunny and mediocre sports journalist, a man who is, without a question, a miserable p**ck.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

True. And with Sullivan gone, we have pretty much no one left to ask those tough questions. Sal & Co only give softballs.

We do lack people willing to ask the tough questions, agreed. But Jerry never asked tough questions that needed asking anyway. Just tough questions that fitted his little hobby horses. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

If Jerry hadn’t rocketed himself back into semi-relevance by trolling Josh on Sunday, no one would have paid attention to what he said the other night.  And that’s not to excuse his stupid misogynistic statements at all.  But usually when someone goes down, it’s not for the worst thing they did.  It’s for the thing they can actually be gotten for.  I’ve seen it happen to politicians, high school baseball coaches, sportswriters, Al Capone, you name it.  Jerry set himself up for this fall over 30 years and had no one there to catch him when it happened. 

Also, that was a terrible “apology,” especially for someone who writes for a living and knows exactly what his words mean.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, wppete said:

If he loses his press credentials with the Bills no one will be upset and no one will miss him. We need new positive people there instead of him. 

I'd prefer a reporter who asks tough questions at press conferences (not give his opinion) but doesn't do so in order to provoke a player or coach.  There are too many cheerleaders in the Bills media who are afraid to ask the tough questions.  The trick is doing so while not coming across a jerk like Sullivan.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd prefer a reporter who asks tough questions at press conferences (not give his opinion) but doesn't do so in order to provoke a player or coach.  There are too many cheerleaders in the Bills media who are afraid to ask the tough questions.  The trick is doing so while not coming across a jerk like Sullivan.

Yep. I thought Tim Graham used to do a better job of asking the tough questions without just lobbying for whatever hobby horse he had decided was the issue of the week. However, he has gone a bit native since he went to the Athletic (different business model). 

Regardless of what you feel about Sullivan as a reporter/columnist (he’s covered the Bills for what, 30 years?), it’s kind of sad and pathetic seeing so many people celebrating the cancellation of a guy for one offensive comment…i just can’t get behind it.  I guess that’s what our society has come to, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Eloquent, yet changes nothing.  Genders are what they are, and in general women tend to be more emotional.  

Blame it on the x chromosome, not me.

Vomit away...it is what it is. 

Except that it isnt

It sheds a pretty sad light on your personal life, though, what you said and what you believe

That's on you though

• Like (+1) 2

So what are the odds he figures out a way to get credentials for Saturday night?

My guess is they're pretty low, after reading this.

Especially this part:

Any unauthorized use of the credential card subjects the Bearer to ejection and prosecution for criminal trespass and subjects the Accredited Organization to revocation of its credentials for future Games or Events.

I can't imagine any "accredited organization" giving him a press pass right now, but we'll see.

Edited by BRH

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

Regardless of what you feel about Sullivan as a reporter/columnist (he’s covered the Bills for what, 30 years?), it’s kind of sad and pathetic seeing so many people celebrating the cancellation of a guy for one offensive comment…i just can’t get behind it.  I guess that’s what our society has come to, though.

Yea that is fair. It was an offensive comment, he deserves sanction, he might even have deserved his firing. But the pile on is unseemly. But it absolutely is the social media driven mob rule. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

There are too many cheerleaders in the Bills media who are afraid to ask the tough questions. 

I agree with this however Sullivan is not the answer, he just takes the most extreme negative take possible that does not fit reality.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

it’s kind of sad and pathetic seeing so many people celebrating the cancellation of a guy for one offensive comment…i just can’t get behind it

I will not celebrate someone losing their livelihood, personally I have always thought he lacked talent at his job and surprised he made it this long.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, mannc said:

If these folks had been born 40 years earlier, they'd be all aghast about Twisted Sister or Dungeons & Dragons or somesuch.  There's a certain type of person who's just predisposed to being a church lady, and they glom onto whatever the church-ladiest issue of the day happens to be.  In 2022, it's this stuff.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

8 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

If these folks had been born 40 years earlier, they'd be all aghast about Twisted Sister or Dungeons & Dragons or somesuch.  There's a certain type of person who's just predisposed to being a church lady, and they glom onto whatever the church-ladiest issue of the day happens to be.  In 2022, it's this stuff.

@mannc my thought is I'm not sure people are celebrating his (to use your term cancellation) for me I just think he has fired for just cause and folks are incredulous about what he had to say about women.  His rhetoric while off the cuff was on the record for time eternal because of the way we have social media today.  That is what caused his demise.  Blame social media. Its reality 2022. I can understand your thinking though. Comedy is another example.  It isn't acceptable to be misogynistic , racist, homophobic. All sorts of thinkin has Imo evolved there.

@BillsFanSD wow. I'm honestly surprised you wrote this.  Please leave religion out of this. If you honestly can't relate to why women (and a lot of men) would find his comments objectionable I'm surprised at that.  Don't drink and podcast senor sullivan  bottom line..  

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that is fair. It was an offensive comment, he deserves sanction, he might even have deserved his firing. But the pile on is unseemly. But it absolutely is the social media driven mob rule. 

It may be unseemly, but it was also 100% predictable… as was the entirety of the fallout from his live-streamed comments. For someone who always thought he was the smartest guy in the room, he sure proved himself wrong. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

the truth is that WITH social media things are Never going to be the way they were before. This dovetails with my previous post. I myself believe in redemption. Mr Sullivan bein fired does not mean he will never work again. He's a writer no one is saying he cannot do that or even something else. He's been bounced from his current employ. What is next for him?

*shrugs*

2 hours ago, mannc said:

he's not being cancelled. I hate that word the way it's used. He's an ass and doesn't deserve to be called a journalist. he does this on purpose to get people to talk about him. I won't miss him

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I'm quite sure that Jerry happily helped create the environment where proles can lose their jobs for countersignalling whatever the whims of the day may be. 

He is reaping what he sowed 

"B-but I made a mistake, I was on your side all these years!" They will still eat you just as quickly as anyone else Jerry 

But the "pile on" is not from one offensive comment.

That comment was offensive (and absurdly stupid), but the pile-on happened because he had been nasty, ungenerous and baited so many people for 30 years. I've never gotten over the way he wrote about Bruce Smith in the 90s, when I was a 14 year old reading the Buffalo News over my Count Chocula cereal. I hated this guy then for treating one of my heroes like that. And since, I saw it again and again. 

So this ridiculous misogynist statement about "women, be better" (was he drunk?) just confirmed so many people's feeling that this guy is a piece of work, and that they want to be rid of him from the discourse they consume about their favorite team.

No one needs his trash negativity masquerading as "gotcha journalism," and this was just the last straw.

Edited by Ray Stonada
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

the truth is that WITH social media things are Never going to be the way they were before. This dovetails with my previous post. I myself believe in redemption. Mr Sullivan bein fired does not mean he will never work again. He's a writer no one is saying he cannot do that or even something else. He's been bounced from his current employ. What is next for him?

*shrugs*

he aint working again in the paid , as in employee, realm. He can join substack and go the Ty Dunne route, but that's about it.

In terms of saying this was cancelled over these comments..he was not. He was fired from his jobs as his employers deemed it in their fincial interest to go another way. I would say pre comments, Jerry had a 9-1 unfavorable rating in the Buffal audience. That could  work sometimes, especially back before the explosion of media across several platforms ala "i hate Howard Stern so i listen all the time to see  what wrong thing he says next"...but it aint working today.

His schtick finally caught up with him, hes fired. Pretty easy.

And btw, i dont believe @BillsFanSD was brining religion into this debate, but just refering back to the old Dana Carvey bit on SNL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And got fired from three places...

Niagara Gazette, WIVB and Lockport Sun Journal all parting ways yesterday with him.

Did he really get paid by all three place for submitting the same article to each place or did he hold different responsibilities?

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

he aint working again in the paid , as in employee, realm. He can join substack and go the Ty Dunne route, but that's about it.

In terms of saying this was cancelled over these comments..he was not. He was fired from his jobs as his employers deemed it in their fincial interest to go another way. I would say pre comments, Jerry had a 9-1 unfavorable rating in the Buffal audience. That could  work sometimes, especially back before the explosion of media across several platforms ala "i hate Howard Stern so i listen all the time to see  what wrong thing he says next"...but it aint working today.

His schtick finally caught up with him, hes fired. Pretty easy.

And btw, i dont believe @BillsFanSD was brining religion into this debate, but just refering back to the old Dana Carvey bit on SNL.

thanks man 🙂 that's great I was unaware dana carvey he's hilarious 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You're entitled to your opinion.  @john wawrow made it clear he was not condoning or defending Sullivan's comments, just presenting a different aspect of his colleague. 

Most of us want friends who have our back and will point out our good sides when we mess up in a public way.  YMMV.

Thanks for letting me have my opinion! :) (Just kidding. I appreciate your posts a lot, but this is a place we disagree.)

For me, there is a time to vocally, publicly defend your friends, but it's not when they say stuff this stupid and offensive. That's the time to call them in private and try to help them figure out how to be better.

Loyalty doesn't mean trying to stop a friend from being justly punished for actions that offend and hurt people. Including me--this guy is telling me my mom and sister are not smart football fans, and need to be better? ***** him.

Really dumb and tactless comments from Sullivan. No journalist/pundit in his right mind would veer off in that direction. Maybe he could have said it in a different way like "woman are too positive and accepting unlike me who is bitter about everything" . Made it self deprecating or a humorous self dig but he didn't. The real tragedy here is if the Bills win a SB , I would love to see Jerry's reaction and his attempt to put a negative spin on it.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Jerry at one time may have been a quality journalist, he hasn’t been that for quite some time, he is now in effect the guy who yells fire in a crowded theater, face it, the guy has gotten himself tossed out of every “news” organization he ever worked for, this is just one more time. 

What most folk won’t see is that everyone of us, me included,  has done/said stupid things, and have muddled through those moments with little to no pushback, well at least the luck ones, there is an old saying;  “let those without sin cast the first stone” life is complicated folk, Jerry may very well be a good human…, 

“Societies that flourish do not reward bad behavior.”  They attempt to correct said behavior. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 2

This is a discussion board, this is what happens. We all have an opinion and we make it. It may seem like piling on, but really nothing wrong with it. You play with the bull, you get the horns.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Is it just me, or do other people just cringe and brace themselves for the upcoming ignorant rant when they see someone cite "free speech" or "being cancelled"?  

I don’t know. There are definitely consequences for saying certain things in a public setting. Employers certainly have the right to cancel, or terminate the employment if you wish to call it that, of employees who make comments such as Sullivan did. With saying that, there certainly is a cancel culture feeling about it. If you have followed Sullivan’s career, he has been a champion regarding women’s athletics. None of his opinions have ever reflected or even hinted at being sexist. If they were, people here would have pointed that out a long time ago. Is he a jerk? I think so. That’s just my opinion. And my opinion is also people are celebrating his demise because he’s a jerk, not because anyone truly believes he’s sexist.

He made a stupid comment and is paying dearly for it.

What do you thing will happen to RG3 for his comment two nights ago?

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sully is a rock star, and haters are going to hate. :( 

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

nah, man, this ain’t it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Is it just me, or do other people just cringe and brace themselves for the upcoming ignorant rant when they see someone cite "free speech" or "being cancelled"?  

Hot button words.  Just like "woke".

Through them around and people get uptight for some reason.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

he's not being cancelled. I hate that word the way it's used.

Thank you. When people complain about so-called "cancel culture," they often claim that someone's First Amendment rights are being violated. In fact, it's simply capitalism and the free market at work. An employee makes an ignorant comment and the company decides that they don't want their name associated with that individual. It's a business decision - nothing more, nothing less.

In this case, Sullivan made an idiotic comment and the newspaper decided they don't want to pay him to make idiotic comments. Business decision.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.