Cody Ford: Dumpster Fire

Snappysnackcakes

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

It's only been five starts but this is his lowest graded season thus far by pff.  We pry win the trade but it will always be a huge whiff of a second round pick.

I’ll never forget sitting in the stands near the stage at the draft in Nashville amd the Bills are on the clock. I’m sitting next to @Mark Vader and we’re the guys getting shown on the draft coverage. I’m yelling DK, DK, DK and we go Ford. Had to act happy for the camera. Was pissed. Still am

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

I’ll never forget sitting in the stands near the stage at the draft in Nashville amd the Bills are on the clock. I’m sitting next to @Mark Vader and we’re the guys getting shown on the draft coverage. I’m yelling DK, DK, DK and we go Ford. Had to act happy for the camera. Was pissed. Still am

DK Metcalf and AJ Brown were both on the board, but I too wanted DK. Some here wanted him with the Oliver pick. Couldn’t believe he had made it to our pick in the 2nd round only for the wizard to screw it up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Big miss by all GM's on DK when the analytics showed he graded out pretty much exactly the same as Julio Jones. An absolute physical specimen of pure athleticism. A total no brainer and instead the Bills traded UP for a T that was too slow for the position and was expected to need to move to G at the pro level. But I love when fans say we aren't allowed to criticize the picks because the scouts know more than we do

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Do we trade for Diggs the next year if we already have DK?  Who knows what the long term ramifications would've been?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Do we trade for Diggs the next year if we already have DK?

So we get DK AND Justin Jefferson? 

You're right ... senseless to go through all the counterfactuals. On the "Cody Ford was a big miss" thing? Well, that one's easy. I posted his PFF scores on the MNF thread - truly astonishingly awful, and still trending down somehow. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I still think it was like 3 straight years where Ford came into training camp as the starting guard. So yeah, it was good that Beane traded him and was able to actually get something for him, but it's not like it was proactive. Beane's acceptance of Cody Ford's complete sucktitude was a very long and slow process. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane is an excellent drafter, except when it comes to linemen.  On the O line, Spencer Brown might turn out to be good but he's still more of a liability.  Cody Ford was a complete miss.  Beane did get Wyatt Teller, but then let him go to hold on to Quinton Spain. 

As for the D line, he got Groot but considering how much draft capital he spent on D linemen this is like a blind squirrel finding a nut.  Oliver is improving to the point where he's a good solid B or B+ player.  Epenesa and Basham are C level players. 

It's understandable that Beane has shied away from drafting O linemen, considering his track record, but the Bills really need to invest in this area. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

6 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

Why?  Corporate shill?

Then again, I suppose it's more polite than the reaction the Buffalo Bills fans showed when the Bills drafted that kid from Wyoming back in 2018. 🤔

7 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

JN, even though I wasn’t right there with you, please know I was right there with you.  Wanted DK badly.  I’ve been criticized elsewhere here in the last 24 hours for even bringing it up, but yeah it was a big mistake.

…just now getting over Ngata! 😁

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

DK Metcalf and AJ Brown were both on the board, but I too wanted DK. Some here wanted him with the Oliver pick. Couldn’t believe he had made it to our pick in the 2nd round only for the wizard to screw it up.

That'd be me. Should have been out first pick.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Beane is an excellent drafter, except when it comes to linemen.  On the O line, Spencer Brown might turn out to be good but he's still more of a liability.  Cody Ford was a complete miss.  Beane did get Wyatt Teller, but then let him go to hold on to Quinton Spain. 

As for the D line, he got Groot but considering how much draft capital he spent on D linemen this is like a blind squirrel finding a nut.  Oliver is improving to the point where he's a good solid B or B+ player.  Epenesa and Basham are C level players. 

It's understandable that Beane has shied away from drafting O linemen, considering his track record, but the Bills really need to invest in this area. 

Not a lot of good O Lineman out there.  Scores across the league seem a lot lower.  Defenses are playing better.  But a big factor has to be the declining level of play of O lineman across the league.  Looks at the Bills on Sunday.  Dawkins had 3 holding penalties.  Brown's play is barely passable most weeks.  And Saffold hasn't been much better.  I would not mind seeing some of big Ike Boettger shortly if he is well enough to play.  He has always been solid and plays with a little bit of an edge.  

'

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Definitely a huge whiff but we probably don't have Diggs if we drafted DK or Brown

Cody is a mystery. Has all the physical tools but they just don’t translate. I recall being at a spring practice this year. Before things got going all the Online was standing around in a corner of the end zone while Cody stood away from them by himself. I zoomed in on him with binoculars and he seemed totally uninspired to be there. He may have had personal issues he was dealing with but his eyes told me he definitely wasn’t really there mentally. 
I hope he resolves what ever it is that is holding him back. 

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Big miss by all GM's on DK when the analytics showed he graded out pretty much exactly the same as Julio Jones. An absolute physical specimen of pure athleticism. A total no brainer and instead the Bills traded UP for a T that was too slow for the position and was expected to need to move to G at the pro level. But I love when fans say we aren't allowed to criticize the picks because the scouts know more than we do

Aren't you the guy that changed his name to "Wrong Josh" and quit the forum after we picked Allen?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Agree with everything except Oliver who is a force.  I remember too many Bills defenses who gave up free yardage up the middle to not appreciate him.

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Let me guess.  You were screaming wrong Josh in 2018.

Beane is an excellent drafter, except when it comes to linemen...

A few years back when the Bills were still wandering in the desert, and were suffering from underwhelming O line play, I asked a couple of high school classmates who had received full Division I scholarships why there was so much trouble finding good line personnel.  They maintained that aside from Iowa, none of what is coached at the collegiate level carries over well to the pro level.  A good few years being coached by a capable pro coach is necessary for success.

Just now, Epstein's Mother said:

Let me guess.  You were screaming wrong Josh in 2018.

Point is we aren't always right and neither are they. Otherwise Tom Brady goes #1 and there are no draft busts. We are entitled to our opinion. Every year there is a pick where we go "what the heck were they thinking" and then in comes the peanut gallery with "you don't know what you are talking about!" This year it was the Bernard pick. The team isn't always right

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Point is we aren't always right and neither are they. Otherwise Tom Brady goes #1 and there are no draft busts. We are entitled to our opinion. Every year there is a pick where we go "what the heck were they thinking" and then in comes the peanut gallery with "you don't know what you are talking about!" This year it was the Bernard pick. The team isn't always right

Being right all the time is an impossibility.  Being right more often than not is the goal.  Who's doing that better than Beane?

5 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Being right all the time is an impossibility.  Being right more often than not is the goal.  Who's doing that better than Beane?

Agreed but even he's not always right so when some of us who study these players object to a draft pick we shouldn't be immediately silenced. We have brains and opinions too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.