Cody Ford: Dumpster Fire

Snappysnackcakes

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

DK Metcalf and AJ Brown were both on the board, but I too wanted DK. Some here wanted him with the Oliver pick. Couldn’t believe he had made it to our pick in the 2nd round only for the wizard to screw it up.

Whomever is the Bills scout assigned to that part of the country needs to be re-evaluated

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Agreed but even he's not always right so when some of us who study these players object to a draft pick we shouldn't be immediately silenced. We have brains and opinions too

I'll go along with that.

Answer one question honestly though.

Were you a Rosen guy?

I admit I was.

Edited by Epstein's Mother

10 hours ago, Rigotz said:

For those not watching Monday Night Football, Cody Ford is getting annihilated all game.

Bad pick by Beane.

But excellent move to admit defeat and recoup a 5th rounder while he still had some perceived value.

There is no such thing as a sure thing draft pick.   They simply don't all work out.  I agree it is important for these guys to acknowledge and move on when they miss.  You can make things worse by keeping them around.

11 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I'll go along with that.

Answer one question honestly though.

Were you a Rosen guy?

I admit I was.

I'm a pretty big analytics and numbers guy because as fans that what we have available to us. You hear a lot about teams who see a guy in person or meet them and fall in love with them even if the stats say they likely won't be good, so I think that's where fans sometimes have an advantage in that we don't fall into that trap. So this is the article I link to when anyone says "I knew Allen would be great." Oh you did? Because it's literally never happened before in the history of the NFL. That's like someone winning the lottery essentially. Happy it worked out for us but you are correct in that I was against the pick

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

• Thank you (+1) 1

You really needed to start a thread dumping on an ex Bill? 

1 hour ago, Heathcliff said:

Cody is a mystery. Has all the physical tools but they just don’t translate. I recall being at a spring practice this year. Before things got going all the Online was standing around in a corner of the end zone while Cody stood away from them by himself. I zoomed in on him with binoculars and he seemed totally uninspired to be there. He may have had personal issues he was dealing with but his eyes told me he definitely wasn’t really there mentally. 
I hope he resolves what ever it is that is holding him back. 

Could be the offense that Riley runs. A little gimmicky and I don’t think it requires o linemen to hold their blocks as long. 

honestly, just draft guys from Iowa, Wisconsin, and Notre dame and you will be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I'm a pretty big analytics and numbers guy because as fans that what we have available to us. You hear a lot about teams who see a guy in person or meet them and fall in love with them even if the stats say they likely won't be good, so I think that's where fans sometimes have an advantage in that we don't fall into that trap. So this is the article I link to when anyone says "I knew Allen would be great." Oh you did? Because it's literally never happened before in the history of the NFL. That's like someone winning the lottery essentially. Happy it worked out for us but you are correct in that I was against the pick

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

I think drafting players that fit your team is mostly a science but there has to be art involved.  That's why teams sometimes get fooled.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Do we trade for Diggs the next year if we already have DK?  Who knows what the long term ramifications would've been?

Maybe no Diggs but then maybe we draft Jefferson  on draft day and have dk and Jefferson 1-2 punch.  We will never know what would have changed if the pick was different.

Edited by AuntieEm

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's only been five starts but this is his lowest graded season thus far by pff.  We pry win the trade but it will always be a huge whiff of a second round pick.

We don't have the luxury to wiff on early OL picks anymore. Josh running for his life. The offense is too Josh-centric. Beane better improve his OL scouts.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

6 hours ago, babulator said:

Everyone wanted DK. Ford was a gigantic miss period.

Loved DK but I was a Dobbins guy. Wanted a true 3 down RB.

A real shame he got his leg destroyed he looks nothing like the guy he was in College

• Like (+1) 1

I remember watching his full games on youtube leading up to the draft.  Not sure what happened between now and then, but the guy looked like a sure fire pro bowl guard prospect.  Manhandled people at the point of attack, athletic enough to get out in space and just destroy people.   Never got what the Bills saw in him as a Tackle, but thought for sure he'd be a plug and play guard.

Just goes to show you, not many guys get to the NFL, and not many guys stay once they are there.

13 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

I’ll never forget sitting in the stands near the stage at the draft in Nashville amd the Bills are on the clock. I’m sitting next to @Mark Vader and we’re the guys getting shown on the draft coverage. I’m yelling DK, DK, DK and we go Ford. Had to act happy for the camera. Was pissed. Still am

I think my first take on this board watching film of him pulling was that he moves like a Star Wars AT ST.

You could practically hear the zzzz-clunk, zzzz-clunk with every step he took.

image.png.f6e834cdc139fb656a06d07b70546213.png

13 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Big miss by all GM's on DK when the analytics showed he graded out pretty much exactly the same as Julio Jones. An absolute physical specimen of pure athleticism. A total no brainer and instead the Bills traded UP for a T that was too slow for the position and was expected to need to move to G at the pro level. But I love when fans say we aren't allowed to criticize the picks because the scouts know more than we do

It wasn’t just Beane though… He went at the end of the 2nd so nearly every team passed on DK - including some who drafted receivers like JJ Arcega Whiteside and Andy Isabella over him.  There were some concerns with how Metcalf would transition to the NFL.  

Obviously selecting Cody Ford was a terrible terrible pick but I don’t think DK was as sure of a pick as you make him out to be.  Fans wanted him because he was big, fast and ridiculously jacked.

15 hours ago, Rigotz said:

For those not watching Monday Night Football, Cody Ford is getting annihilated all game.

Bad pick by Beane.

But excellent move to admit defeat and recoup a 5th rounder while he still had some perceived value.

,Hindsight is 20/20.  He was a well respected O lineman coming out in the draft.  It is up to the guys to make the next step in the NFL.   Ford just can not get it together.  I give Beane a pass on this pick.

4 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Agree with everything except Oliver who is a force.  I remember too many Bills defenses who gave up free yardage up the middle to not appreciate him.

I would really like to agree with you because I really want to see Oliver be a consistent, disruptive force.  But he just vanishes for long stretches.

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

His weight has really ballooned and not in a good way.  Almost felt sorry for him watching him play last night.  

Poor guy. Already in his upper 20’s and a millionaire by doing a job he’s not very good at.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.