Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

2 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

WE DON'T LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS (Green bay does, with 30)

WE RANK 6th IN DROP PERCENTAGE (6.4%)

TAKE AWAY McKENZIE'S DROPS AND WE'RE AT THE NFL AVERAGE (5.2%)

Take away drops?  LMAO...thats excatly why we signed Cole...to take away drops

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Diggs 7

Davis 7

McKenzie 5

Shakir 2

Knox 2

Beasley 6 

(Just Saying) 

How many targets did Beasley have compared to the guys on this list?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Take away Lil Dirty's drops from the Bills total and the overall drop percentage matches the 32-team NFL average.     So, an easy solution to that problem--drop McKenzie (who's gadget role can be handled by Hines).

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You want to know the real reason he's here?

To get revenge on the Buffalo Bills.

Last time Cole Beasley was in Buffalo he drove away with his middle finger up in the air and Orchard Park in the rearview mirror.

The organization wronged him.

It was personal.

Now that same organization is in the #1 seed and one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

You really think Beasley is gonna let that happen?!

Picture this:

It's the AFC Championship Game. The Bills have the ball, down by 1 point. There's 10 seconds left.  It's 4th and 5 and the Bills need to convert in order to get into FG range. Empty set, Allen takes the snap, Beasley finds a cushioned pocket in the zone 5 yards out.

It's an easy pitch and catch opportunity.

Done deal, right? 

WRONG!!

Allen darts it to Beasley right between the numbers, but just as Allen releases it he notices something.

There's a sly grin across Beasley's mug.

Josh knows then. 

Flashback to 2021. The disease. The debates. The disorder. The dissention and desertion.

Drop.

Beasley let's the ball hit his hands and bounce to the ground. Game over.

Beasley takes off his helmet and throws that middle finger in the air, calmly rotating in a circle so the stadium full of helpless fans can see.

He strides away into the tunnel darkness.

The End. 

Ha😊 more likely he wants to win SB, thereby giving Brady the middle finger.

I think it’s a solid signing at this point in the year.  Josh has a comfort level with him and he gets open in the slot.    He wasn’t successful at Tampa, but I think that’s just because new system, QB etc.  We are hurting for production out of the slot and I can see him making some big plays and bailing Josh out a. It down the stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many targets did Beasley have compared to the guys on this list?

DIggs has 133 TGTs

Davis 71

McKenzie 55

Shakir 17

Beasley (2021) 112

10 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

WE DON'T LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS (Green bay does, with 30)

WE RANK 6th IN DROP PERCENTAGE (6.4%)

TAKE AWAY McKENZIE'S DROPS AND WE'RE AT THE NFL AVERAGE (5.2%)

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

drops are a tough stat to track, but I haven’t seen GB with 30 drops anywhere.  Do you have a link?

6 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

So winning 4 straight games and being the number 1 seed in the afc makes this team a sinking ship now?

OMG get the metaphor.  It refers to engaging in a pointless activity.  Like sting that signing Bease and dumping Stevenson is like changing one dirty tshirt for another equally dirty T-shirt. 

I'm glad Bease is signed to the PS like I wanted earlier in this post (way back 40 pages last night).  LOL.

I'll pass on the Vax/Personal Rights/Civil War talk and just add what I think can maybe work out as a pretty good roll of the dice.

Cole signed to the PS for $80K.  A spit in the ocean compared if the Bills kept him this year.

Cole has been getting injured during the season and has been limited by those injuries for the playoffs.

Now there is a chance that in a few weeks he can be healthy and to the level we would have hoped for if he stayed.

In a similar situation is John Brown on the outside WR spot.

If just one of these moves ends up being a plus to the team, it worked out great.

Imagine if both hit.

Well done by John, Cole, Josh, Sean and Brandon!

Go Bills!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Who were the other options at this point? I think we're agreeing with the decision. My question was more of an affirmation to your post (point).

I gotcha now. Yeah there really wasn't anybody else out there unless you wanted to swoop in on TY hilton or risk it with OBJ. A familiar face that can get open especially in the middle with Bease has me more excited than brown or even OBJ (if he truly wasnt 100% ready).

I truly wonder if this was a Beane idea or if Josh asked for it like Rodgers did with Cobb.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Drops are an issue. Don't get me wrong. But people are also conflating catch% with drops. Take the Jets game, Shakir's only target was basically a throw away OOB. That counts as 0% catch rate on the stat page. 

Also, Miami is tied in drops with 25 and they have Hill, Waddle, and Big Mike at TE. You throw the ball a lot, you get a lot of drops. We seem to be dropping a ton the last month. I don't get it. It didn't feel like a huge issue in the first 8 games of the season. 

We are getting short throw drops on critical downs to kill drives and remove points, that is bigger issue here.  I am not confusing catch percentage...I am talking about guys who have plays to be made in their hands and don't make the plays.

We don't have a duo of Waddle and Hill who can bail us out...we can not afford to drop passes and kill drives.  Outside of Diggs, we don't have someone we can depend on to make a tough or contested catch on 3rd down.  McKenzie is only good at running fast, he doesn't make touch catches, he goes down if the wind blows, and he can't fight for yards to get a first down.  Not to mention, Cole is at the very least one of the most cerebral players in the NFL on the field, he understands how to adjust and get open and fight for a spot for Josh when he is extending plays.  That alone is of value.  

McKenzie has a role...he is best suited as a 4th WR who can create a mismatch and get lost in the defense with his speed and make a play.  He is not the guy you ever want to throw to in traffic if you don't have to.  Cole doesn't need to give us 7 catches a game to have value...if he can help extend another drive or two a game with a key first down, that alone will be an improvement on what is going on now with the inconsistency of the offense.  

I think this was a good signing, him and Josh are close, and Josh asked for him to be brought back.  That alone is enough to be happy Cole is back.  Josh didn't ask for a favor to help his friend...Josh is the one asking for help...and he wouldn't be asking for help if he didn't need it. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

I gotcha now. Yeah there really wasn't anybody else out there unless you wanted to swoop in on TY hilton or risk it with OBJ. A familiar face that can get open especially in the middle with Bease has me more excited than brown or even OBJ (if he truly wasnt 100% ready).

I truly wonder if this was a Beane idea or if Josh asked for it like Rodgers did with Cobb.

Sal/WGR all reporting that Josh has been asking for Brown and Bease back for weeks. Got Brown back, and after Sunday's drop debacle Josh and McD pushed for Bease.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sal/WGR all reporting that Josh has been asking for Brown and Bease back for weeks. Got Brown back, and after Sunday's drop debacle Josh and McD pushed for Bease.

Appreciate the followup - good to know! Josh asking and receiving his weapons back could be just the medicine this Offense needed. Hopeful.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

DIggs has 133 TGTs

Davis 71

McKenzie 55

Shakir 17

Beasley (2021) 112

And there you go...if they all had 112 targets, the list of drops looks quite a bit different.  Cole was signed because Josh wanted help...and the drop rate shows why he wanted help.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We are getting short throw drops on critical downs to kill drives and remove points, that is bigger issue here.  I am not confusing catch percentage...I am talking about guys who have plays to be made in their hands and don't make the plays.

We don't have a duo of Waddle and Hill who can bail us out...we can not afford to drop passes and kill drives.  Outside of Diggs, we don't have someone we can depend on to make a tough or contested catch on 3rd down.  McKenzie is only good at running fast, he doesn't make touch catches, he goes down if the wind blows, and he can't fight for yards to get a first down.  Not to mention, Cole is at the very least one of the most cerebral players in the NFL on the field, he understands how to adjust and get open and fight for a spot for Josh when he is extending plays.  That alone is of value.  

McKenzie has a role...he is best suited as a 4th WR who can create a mismatch and get lost in the defense with his speed and make a play.  He is not the guy you ever want to throw to in traffic if you don't have to.  Cole doesn't need to give us 7 catches a game to have value...if he can help extend another drive or two a game with a key first down, that alone will be an improvement on what is going on now with the inconsistency of the offense.  

I think this was a good signing, him and Josh are close, and Josh asked for him to be brought back.  That alone is enough to be happy Cole is back.  Josh didn't ask for a favor to help his friend...Josh is the one asking for help...and he wouldn't be asking for help if he didn't need it. 

The Dolphins have the same number of drops as us with near identical attempts.....

I'm going to speculate that Bease and Brown are going to be in a competition for a needed 5th WR on the 53.

I'm guessing that Cole will have the inside track in a couple of weeks.

That spot can easily be freed up by cutting one of the 11 DBs currently on the 53.

Whoever that is hopefully clears waivers on ends up on the PS.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed.

Beasley can be effectively washed up.........incapable of putting up good yardage per route numbers etc.......... and yet still somehow add something to this offense because they have nobody to fill this specific role.

It's an indictment on Beane's handling of the WR corps the past two seasons for sure.

They are a station to station offense at a time in their dynamic young QB's career when they should be shredding defense's.    But they aren't going to find a dynamic WR1/WR2 on the street so they need to be the best station to station offense they can be.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, chris heff said:

On a related subject, is there any chance Crowder makes it back this year? Never really got to see what he can do.

Earlier in the year there was talk that he could possibly be back this year, but with us picking up Smoke and Beas, that's telling me probably not.

Well I didn't expect this news today. Hopefully the break from leaving the Bucs has resulted in him having something left in the tank. He is something like a safety blanket for Josh and it perhaps says a lot that he's reportedly been calling for him and Brown to return for a while.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Some of you I want to ask a question: Do you care more about being right (about a player being bad) or watching your team win?

As it stands today none of us know what Beasley will provide for production. The people who have all the information think this is a good move to make. I like the GM and coaches recognizing there a situation that needs to be addressed. Good for them for not sitting on their hands or trying to deny there is an issue. You want to live in the past and rehash how we got here? Go ahead, that is your luxury as a fan. I think a healthy approach which makes me feel better is that this could help Josh and the offense. What Beasley does is find spots in zone coverage, and Beasley always has had good hands. If either one of those traits has left completely, then Beasley will not be w/Buffalo for long and the team is in no different a spot then before. 

This post is way too logical but late as people have already picked their side. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

On a related subject, is there any chance Crowder makes it back this year? Never really got to see what he can do.

Yes, learned this myself today. He is back running on the sideline and doing PT with trainers. Could be back before end of regular season. He had a nice start, so hoping he can pick that back up where he left off.

If it wasnt for that ankle injury, we probably dont make this move or have this drop/slot problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, chris heff said:

Even if he does he has almost no experience with Josh and was new to this offense to begin with.    He was a limited participant in the offseason workouts and the reports on him weren't good and he looked bad in the preseason as well.   McKenzie clearly beat him out,  which is saying something.    

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Even if he does he has almost no experience with Josh and was new to this offense to begin with.    He was a limited participant in the offseason workouts and the reports on him weren't good and he looked bad in the preseason as well.   McKenzie clearly beat him out,  which is saying something.    

Not true on any of that really?

He had a number of nice catches through the first few games, averaging 9yds/catch. He picked up 1st downs on I believe every one of his catches. Josh mentioned in a post game how well they were building that relationship.

I dont think McK "clearly" beat him out as much as Crowder was catching up in the offense and was about to beat him out.

He had a real nice start and the injury was a real blow to this offense.

• Agree 3

I know one thing, in the offseason I better not hear ***** about a defensive back or defensive lineman unless a top 10 talent somehow drops to us.  

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

how bitter do you think McKenzie is with this signing? I'm not buying into his smiley heart emojis. To me this reads a tad snarky.

He's been in favor of re-signing Beasley for some time now.  It's legit.  I'm sure Cole was a mentor to him.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.