Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes, that exactly what I said.........

Everyone of the arguments you've made in this thread have been completely obtuse.   You argue facts and statistics with hyperbole.  

I'll need to see your MD and a copy of the scans of OBJs knee that you are using as your "facts"

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For once I'm glad McKenzie is laughing it up because if he thought seriously about this signing for half a second he would realize it means Allen has lost trust in him. All offseason McDermott talked up McKenzie's opportunity to prove he could handle an increased role and, well, here we are.

I’m sure McKenzie knows this. He’s just a joker and doesn’t take anything too seriously.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They can take the flier. I am not saying they absolutely shouldn't do it. I'm saying it won't succeed. I don't think there is anything left beyond a bloke who can catch 3-5 yard passes and fall over on the spot. 

Ok! Alright! Enough already!.. 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, that exactly what I said.........

Everyone of the arguments you've made in this thread have been completely obtuse.   You argue facts and statistics with hyperbole.  

Andy Dufresne is that you?

Some of you I want to ask a question: Do you care more about being right (about a player being bad) or watching your team win?

As it stands today none of us know what Beasley will provide for production. The people who have all the information think this is a good move to make. I like the GM and coaches recognizing there a situation that needs to be addressed. Good for them for not sitting on their hands or trying to deny there is an issue. You want to live in the past and rehash how we got here? Go ahead, that is your luxury as a fan. I think a healthy approach which makes me feel better is that this could help Josh and the offense. What Beasley does is find spots in zone coverage, and Beasley always has had good hands. If either one of those traits has left completely, then Beasley will not be w/Buffalo for long and the team is in no different a spot then before. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For once I'm glad McKenzie is laughing it up because if he thought seriously about this signing for half a second he would realize it means Allen has lost trust in him. All offseason McDermott talked up McKenzie's opportunity to prove he could handle an increased role and, well, here we are.

I agree that Allen has probably lost trust but McKenzie’s role should be that of a gadget guy, motion, quick snap toss plays, not a slot receiver. His contract basically pays him for the gadget guy and they hoped he could carry the water in the slot. Crowder was signed as the slot and when he went down, the O started puttering. They needed to fill that position sooner.

Also, I have it from a very good source that’s tied to the receivers room and Beasley, that this has been in discussion for quite a while, at least 4-6 weeks if not longer. I do not have info what the hold up was but if I were to guess, it was creating cap room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Honestly, if we had Beasley all season, we'd probably have 1 loss right now (at most).

If we had Beas all season he would be a lot more banged up than he is now, and he would never fully recover in time for the playoffs.

Now we just need a 4 game regular season win streak, get the bye and win 3 more.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am very happy with this signing, for a multitude of reasons.  I wanted to wait a little while before I commented because i want my post to contain logic, be as objective and unbiased as possible.  Last night when it was first brought up that Beasley might be resigning with us, I boiled it down to two simple questions I had: 1)Does it improve our team, and 2)...well I forgot so it must not be important.  If it comes to me while typing awesome.  

I believe the answer is absolutely.  I look at our production from the slot receiver position this year, and to say we have underachieved is an understatement.  The subpar play has, IMO, hampered our offense in multiple ways.  Too many games Josh has simply avoided even throwing in the middle of the field, resulting in attempted screen passes to RB's which tue the defense AND 75% of the crowd know is coming, thus the play getting blown up at the LOS, or a gain of 1-2 yards at best.  I think that Josh lost alot of faith in McKenzie due to so many drops, but he stuck with him, and I felt like the last couple of weeks McKenzie had finally started to turn it on, and Josh's confidence strengthened.  But I believe after Sundays game, Allen finally had the last straw.  I personally am tired of McKenzie taking one step forward, only to take two steps back.  And I swear it seems like his drops are ALWAYS back-breakers, ie missing a big first down, or costing us bigtime field position losses, whatever.  

From what I read, this move was like 99.5% all Josh.  And you know what?  I love it.  My sincerest hope is that this type of move ignites a fire underneath McKenzie, Davis, Knox, Cook, Singletary and even Shakir.  But I really hope it hits McKenzie harder than all, because I simply don't see McDermott going into 2023 with McKenzie playing the way he has.  What's maddening is that the guy possesses unbelievable speed and quickness that is impossible to replace, which is why I'm guessing that he's still on this roster.  But I hope this signing truly opens the eyes of the above mentioned players, and they see that they're going to really have to step things up, and right now.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not necessarily.  This move might actually free up McK to be the gadget guy again whose best plays in the passing game are when a play breaks down and Allen goes off script.  I suspect that the ineffective two RB formations on passing downs will be replaced by more 4 WR formations with Diggs, Davis, McK and Beas. This will give Allen & Dorsey a better layering of the field on pass plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I'll need to see your MD and a copy of the scans of OBJs knee that you are using as your "facts"

I was referring to the Medical Journal article I provided you that shows that 69% of WRs who undergo ACL surgery see a drop in production when they come back to play.   OBJ has two of those surgeries on the same knee.    

I was referring to the statistics I gave you as an answer about John Brown not actually having a chance to do anything on the field since his return.

Rather than take the time to give a thought out answer to those things you instead came up with winners like "So we should Cut Von Miller?"  "Ill need to see your MD and a copy of the scans of OBJ's knee"

So incredibly silly. 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Some of you I want to ask a question: Do you care more about being right (about a player being bad) or watching your team win?

As it stands today none of us know what Beasley will provide for production. The people who have all the information think this is a good move to make. I like the GM and coaches recognizing there a situation that needs to be addressed. Good for them for not sitting on their hands or trying to deny there is an issue. You want to live in the past and rehash how we got here? Go ahead, that is your luxury as a fan. I think a healthy approach which makes me feel better is that this could help Josh and the offense. What Beasley does is find spots in zone coverage, and Beasley always has had good hands. If either one of those traits has left completely, then Beasley will not be w/Buffalo for long and the team is in no different a spot then before. 

Remember these are the same guys that "had all the information" That Cut him less than a year ago.  They are also the same guys that "had all the information" that built this team this year.  So yeah they also make mistakes.  

So this year Beasley has done nothing right, so yes Fans will point to that, and they will also point to his decline last year (that isnt wrong).  These same fans know that the bills are desperate here to get ANY production out of the slot, and why they are now recycling Brown and Beasley back into the offense for Josh.  Maybe at some point they should ACTUALLY invest in the offense instead of the offseason assets going into the defense.  

Another Fact, even without Beasley and the "issues" in the slot the Bills are the No2 Offense in the NFL on 3rd down.

• Like (+1) 1

I was referring to the Medical Journal article I provided you that shows that 69% of WRs who undergo ACL surgery see a drop in production when they come back to play.   OBJ has two of those surgeries on the same knee.    

I was referring to the statistics I gave you as an answer about John Brown not actually having a chance to do anything on the field since his return.

Rather than take the time to give a thought out answer to those things you instead came up with winners like "So we should Cut Von Miller?"  "Ill need to see your MD and a copy of the scans of OBJ's knee"

So incredibly silly. 

So no facts, projection off a study.  Thanks so in reality you have NO CLUE what OBJs knee is like or if he will come back.  Just like you have NO clue if Von will 

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Did we get it confirmed?

I don't love Beasley as a person, but man, Josh has been needing someone to be that zone beater on 3rd down when they bracket Diggs.

Maybe this is the missing piece. 

Yes Bills announced signed to PS cut Stevenson to make room

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

The fact they need to sign these veteran WR’s in December is really an indictment of the personnel department (Beane & co), Dorsey, and players like Gabe Davis but especially Isaiah McKenzie.  

The Bills doubled down that last year’s WR talent would improve.  They’ve mostly been the same players as they were last year in a reserve role.  

Whose fault is that?  Dorsey for not utilizing them properly?  The WR’s themselves?  It were they just never starting caliber to begin with?  

I’m going with, it’s on you, 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Pretty much this. We have tried McKenzie, Crowder, Shakir and Knox and nothing has worked. 

That is where Beasley shines. 

Not true, Crowder didnt get hurt, no one would be mentioning Beasley right now.  Also if the OL wasnt so trash that Knox cannot get into routes we wouldnt be talking about Beasley right now.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Wow for a team so desperate for WR production only to get 11% of the snaps, clearly elite, no wonder why he was on the street.

I am sorry I dont live in the past I live in the present.  At Present fans should expect next to nothing from both Brown and Beasley, TBH

Well, as long as you’re sorry.. OK. Dig out your Beasley jersey, wash it and go with it!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DaggersEOD said:

To me that says that the negative pressure came from outside the organization/team.

I don’t think this will hurt the locker room. 

The Bills were in a very tough position at the time.  The entire world was focused on vaccine status, spread of the virus, and their ultimate job was to manage the personnel in a way that increased the likelihood of success on the field every Sunday.  The NFL was likely squeezing them as well. It’s a lot easier on management if everybody complies. 

When you factor in the public relations implications if Beasley became sick and other players were impacted…coupled with the likelihood that some players were probably pro-vaxx, some were probably against the vaxx but wanted to play football, and some were probably scared to death of COVID…it was not an easy time.  

They get paid a lot of money to handle all this, but it must have been a gigantic pain in the a$$ and the stakes were high. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Good stuff!

I'm thinking that the Bills took a long hard look at that 3rd down production against the NY Jets...2-13!  Buffalo had only 11 first downs all game and 3 came from penalties.

Josh Allen passing, 16 of 27 for 130 yards all game? Not the first quarter, not the first half? 130 yards the entire game!

And some fans complaining about bringing back Bease, Mr. first down...

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Well, as long as you’re sorry.. OK. Dig out your Beasley jersey, wash it and go with it!

Never got a Beasley Jersey so nope wont be doing that, definitely wont If I am wearing a PS jersey I will go with the other WR on the PS that only skill set is being Josh's friend in Gentry.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Not true, Crowder didnt get hurt, no one would be mentioning Beasley right now.  Also if the OL wasnt so trash that Knox cannot get into routes we wouldnt be talking about Beasley right now.

Gotta say that there is a lot of truth in this statement,

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

No, I'm just saying it's a bad indicator of where the offensive personnel is at right now. We added Saffold. We added Crowder. We drafted Cook and Shakir. We extended Knox. We left the door open for Davis and McKenzie and Spencer Brown to step into bigger roles. And literally every one of these moves has been a bust. I mean it's really kind of crazy when you think about it.

I'd say it's an indicator that we don't have an OC who can adjust his scheme to his personnel. He's not putting people in positions to succeed. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Honest question, what are the PS rules around the playoffs and the salary cap? I know after 3 call ups, a player needs to be signed to the 53 to play again. 

What if Beasley doesn't play this week and gets the other 3 call ups? Do we have to sign him to the 53? Or can we keep him on the PS, and not count him against the cap? And if that is the case, would the same work for a guy like OBJ and playing with cap dollars? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.