How much on Sunday will be an evaluation of Brandon Beane?

78thealltimegreat

Reasonable talking point. 

So much of the conversation this week and last has been:

WR’s suck

Run Game/RB’s suck

Run D sucks

OL sucks

The board consensus seems to be that Brandon Bean is a witch. Assembled the best roster in the league. But the board consensus also seems to be that we aren’t good enough to beat anybody without Josh. 

I don’t think one game is an indicator positive or negative. But we also can’t have it both ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know that a ton of judgment can be made on one game if they come out and struggle offensively.  

Would be notable if they come out and look competent to good.. 

-If a running game is established. 

-If skill players have defined roles.  It’s not just deep shots and reluctant check downs. 

Not that it would be a criticism or Allen or Dorsey, but maybe there is “move the chains” talent and hyper-aggressiveness is a detriment at times. 

Sometimes it's better to be the plodding tortoise than the fast rabbit.  Hoping given Josh loving to play football extends to point he hates to miss even practice and it really drives home taking the easy plays more to get defenses scrambling for relief and opens up the big plays.  

Let the opponents be the team in frantic mode trying to find answers and needing to find adjustments and hopefully failing to find any that work.

Edited by AuntieEm

6 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

What if Keenum outperforms Josh? 🤪

HALLELUJAH ..that would mean all this #17  injury angst was for naught

That would be sweet actually....But  he better not get too attached to that role. Back to holding a clipboard sooner rather that later for you Case

• Haha (+1) 1

This should really happen every game, but the offensive skill positions, and really even the O-line should be under scrutiny at this point. All of Gabe-Knox-Crowder has been a very unfortunate swing and miss so far for the most part. We all expected at least a couple if not all of them to take a leap this year. That clearly hasn't happened yet.

Probably been said already, but Dorsey's going to be under the most intense evaluation this weekend, which makes more overall sense than Beane right now. Whether it's Case or a limited Josh, all eyes on the Dorse. Eyes should roll over to Beane if the d-line falls apart and allows Cousins to torch for a high scoring easy win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Beane is already being evaluated for a poor draft and failure to upgrade a mediocre OL that’s supposed to protect the franchise investment.

The guy took Bernard over OL. The guy took Bernard over OL.

Although I don't disagree,  I also don't agree.  And I keep going round and round with this as well. When I look at it from one side, I can almost understand the thoughts. We had Dawkins and Morse,  no changes to be made there. Brown was expected to improve (totally understandable), Bates played well and deserved his place (albeit, I wanted him at LG). So the only spot that was being looked at to upgrade was one Guard and depth. Saffold I believe was one of the best guards available in FA. I get it. So from all this, I can see why OL wasn't prioritized during the draft and I don't think anyone we would have drafted from rnd 3 (89) and later would have been any better than what we currently have. 

As to the draft, I think it was a good one for Beane. We needed at least 2 CB'S. One to replace Wallace and a top corner with Tre's injury (check), needed a punter ( check, bad luck?), a WR (check), a RB with some speed and receiving ability (check, needs to be used more). Then Beane took a some late swings, Tenuta(OL), Spector (LB) and then there was Bernard. Bernard was a headscratcher to me as well, but, with Milano getting dinged up occasionally,  I can almost see why Beane made the pick.

So with all that being said, who would you have taken at 89 or later that would have improved our OL over what we have?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Beane has done a good job overall. This is a good team 6-2. Back-to-back division champs. Four playoff appearances in 5 years. However, he still needs to improve the OL and if Singeltary isn't the answer then RB as well. This team relies on Josh too much. That needs to change. I thought our WR group would be better. Diggs is great but the rest have been somewhat disappointing. 

If by chance Josh can't play there will definitely be a weakness at that position especially when Josh is on his game not so much last week though Keenum can play that good & better than we saw out of him in that game .

But who knows just maybe if Josh is out they may have to depend more on the run game & actually use it a bit more in the over all game plan rather than just dumping it all on Josh's shoulders so they may be able to get a better grip on it with Cook & Hines in the mix which they need to do ! 

I still am of the thought that if all were healthy the weak point in this team is the run game but by the actions of Beane he is always looking for the answer or another piece of the puzzle to make it better they just need to use it more than just a hand full of plays per game because they will need it & last week would have been a really good time to know you have that in your back pocket !!

13 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

really.  I love Bean, but to say it’s not an evaluation of him or the offensive scouts is nonsense.    How is the OL and running game?  The question here is how much did Bean rely on JA to support the offense while building up the D and often wasting picks (Basham) doing so?   

It's a solid team he built playing with a backup QB. This negatively needs to stop. I'm tired of all the "how do we fix the Bills" or "this team is not a Super bowl contender" after one game. Now it's "this game is to evaluate Beane". Seriously, gtfoh with this garbage. We're a 6-2 team that's number 1 in the conference. What exactly are people looking for this week? We're playing without Allen, of course it's gonna be downgraded a bit. So, what exactly will make people happy this week? Quite frankly for me, just win the f*cking game. That's it

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't think anyone envies our offensive line. That doesn't matter though. Everything is fine.

Our offensive line hasn't been great all season. Why do we need a backup QB to make a decision on Beane?

Edited by Buffalo03

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The only thing that can be evaluated is if Keenum is a competent backup QB. And even then Minn D is good. Josh could struggle against them too. 

Vikings are ranked #25 in total defense. 20th against the pass, 2nd worst in the league against the run.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mango said:

Reasonable talking point. 

So much of the conversation this week and last has been:

WR’s suck

Run Game/RB’s suck

Run D sucks

OL sucks

The board consensus seems to be that Brandon Bean is a witch. Assembled the best roster in the league. But the board consensus also seems to be that we aren’t good enough to beat anybody without Josh. 

I don’t think one game is an indicator positive or negative. But we also can’t have it both ways. 

I don't think the Bills have the best roster in the league. I also think this group has shown significant blind spots in talent evaluation at OL, DL, and RB which leave them vulnerable in ways a top level team shouldn't be. They've wasted assets on players then had to spend more assets to replace or supplant those wasted assets and still have players in key positions that aren't any good.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

How much on Sunday will be an evaluation of Brandon Beane?

Very little.

Every great QB covers warts. It's the nature of the beast. Every roster has warts.

This Bills roster is constructed extremely well.

Any team going from a great QB to it's backup is vastly less good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It is widely believed Buffalo has the best roster in the NFL. Beane built this roster, he can't coach or suit up on Sunday.

The coaches need to coach and the players need to play better.

EVALUATE BEANE...YOUR KIDDING RIGHT ??

Edited by HOUSE
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

It is widely believed Buffalo has the best roster in the NFL. Beane built this roster, he can't coach or suit up on Sunday.

The coaches need to coach and the players need to play better.

EVALUATE BEANE...YOUR KIDDING RIGHT ??

Well, Beane doesn't have Mahomes or Brady on the bench as our back up QB, so he sucks. 

What do people expect if/when your starting franchise QB is out with injuries? 

Edited by Real McNasty

14 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

He is willing to slightly overpay to retain homegrown talent but sometimes you have no alternatives.

He is a solid GM and that's a job in which you can't be perfect.

Have we?  I think he has done a great job possibly underpaying some of the home grown talent - Josh, Milano stick out the most to me.  

Your second point is amazing and needs to said.  When comparing a GM to perfection by listing a handful of mistakes, the GM will always fail because every GM has those handful of "mistakes".

13 hours ago, gtw3 said:

The thing that a lot of people struggle with is the sample size.

12 hours ago, Mango said:

This.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Show me a team that doesnt have a significant drop off when their Franchise QB is out, and I'll show you a team with a bad Franchise QB.

True, but we've all seen backup QBs perform well.  I think this is based on three things:  The QB, the coordinator, and the run game.  As an extreme example, obviously a backup to the 90s Troy Aikman Cowboys should have an advantage when their offense is built on running it for 5 ypc.  The Cooper Rush cowboys got wins, but did not exactly light it up through the air. 

Although it has performed better this year, the Bills don't have the strongest running game.  That is one strike against us and puts more pressure on the coordinator and the QB.

Personally, if Josh is out, I will be very curious how the early scripted plays go.  I have memories of some bad Bills QBs (Emanuel?) having good early drives because of the scripted plays and then struggling when they had to just run the offense.

It's not Beane but McDermott who is a defensive guy put all the investements on defense at thte expense of the offense. So let's see how all the money, all the draft picks spent on the defense will do this Sunday without Allen. All that money could have spent on the o-line and Allen wouldn't be in this predicament with his elbow injury.

• Like (+1) 1

Allie’s injury should reiterate to Beane and McDermott that the Bills offense needs a RB that opposing defenses need to game plan for. That addition would be the final brick to an unstoppable offense. Not to mention, helping our offense when Allen can’t play.

22 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Josh doesn’t play on Sunday and not really a good or bad topic but how much will you be evaluating the overall roster construction?

Does Josh really mask the warts this team has like the constant talking about a running game or a consistent receiver outside Diggs.

Or does the talent we have step up and be good enough to hold it down til 17 returns? 

Huh?  You take away the best player in the NFL from any team, ESPECIALLY when its a QB, and that is a terrible barometer to rate a team.  No one player is more important in any team sport than the QB is in the NFL.  

We are playing a 7-1 Vikings team, win or lose it does not change how great of GM Beane has been.  Sorry, this is not a good topic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.