Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

He  misses Dabol. Seems like they didn't keep anything from previous seasons. No motion, misdirection plays...Drops back to pass, looks for Diggs then leaves the pocket and scrambles. I think Dorsey is a big part of the problem. No imagination in the play calling. Why is Knox not being thrown to at all?

Very good points.  

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

He  misses Dabol. Seems like they didn't keep anything from previous seasons. No motion, misdirection plays...Drops back to pass, looks for Diggs then leaves the pocket and scrambles. I think Dorsey is a big part of the problem. No imagination in the play calling. Why is Knox not being thrown to at all?

I fear its our receivers not getting open.  And Knox at this point is a overpaid contract

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

We're 6-2. Do you think we're gonna lose 9 straight?

Probably not 9 straight. They may lose a few in a row with the way Josh is playing right now, though. That could very well be enough to affect their playoff seeding greatly. In a season like this that’s really all that matters. The AFCE looks tougher than it did after last season. After another division loss and staring at a 7-1 Vikings team , the feeling is their season is at a crossroads. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Probably not 9 straight. They may lose a few in a row with the way Josh is playing right now, though. That could very well be enough to affect their playoff seeding greatly. In a season like this that’s really all that matters. The AFCE looks tougher than it did after last season. After another division loss and staring at a 7-1 Vikings team , the feeling is their season is at a crossroads. 

There's no way we miss the playoffs. We might not get to a Super Bowl but we aren't missing the playoffs 

This is a bit tongue and cheek but there may be some truth in it.  The girl friend needs to stop traveling to games with Josh and withhold sex during the season.   Boxers have done this for generations.  No more fun Halloween like parties with the GF.   Josh needs complete focus on the game with no outside distractions.  He needs to be hungry, edgy and with a touch of controlled anger.  No more hangdog post lost interviews where he blames himself.   But what do I know...nothing but its fun to speculate

Edited by Coldfronts
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think Allen has got to a point where things have been so easy for him for so long that he kind of has brought this on himself. He doesn't make adjustments when the OLine isn't doing as well, he still wants to push the ball downfield and thinks he can just run around and make up for it.

We needed the Rams game Josh Allen today and he wanted to be the Steelers game Josh Allen.

Dorsey should step in.

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I fear its our receivers not getting open.  And Knox at this point is a overpaid contract

Knox?  How many times was he targeted? How many did he drop?

I can't blame her directly but I think the message is focus on football here.  Limit the celebrity and public appearances.  Cut way back on social media.  Nobody needs to know what you're thinking and what you're doing.  As you're play on the field opens the door to all these commercial opportunities they can disappear just as fast if you don't put up points and clean up the offense.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I was one of Allen’s biggest critics during the draft. It wasn’t so much about him but that prototype (all the tools, not a ton of production). But I have never been more confident in a Bills qb. I genuinely was shocked he didn’t lead us down to win the game. I think we just have to accept once or twice a year, Allen will have these games. He cares so much and wants to win on every play. I absolutely love how he owned how he played. We are fine.

11 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

This is a bit tongue and cheek but there may be some truth in it.  The girl friend needs to stop traveling to games with Josh and withhold sex during the season.   Boxers have done this for generations.  No more fun Halloween like parties with the GF.   Josh needs complete focus on the game with no outside distractions.  He needs to be hungry, edgy and with a touch of controlled anger.  No more hangdog post lost interviews where he blames himself.   But what do I know...nothing but its fun to speculate

At least this part is valid…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was one of Allen’s biggest critics during the draft. It wasn’t so much about him but that prototype (all the tools, not a ton of production). But I have never been more confident in a Bills qb. I genuinely was shocked he didn’t lead us down to win the game. I think we just have to accept once or twice a year, Allen will have these games. He cares so much and wants to win on every play. I absolutely love how he owned how he played. We are fine.

Yeah I am not worried long term, it's just frustrating that he has learned that sometimes checking the ball down all game and taking a few shots when you have the chance is the best thing for the offense.

I think the first play of the game where he hit Diggs for like 40 yards probably was the worst thing that could have happened because it put him into attack mode downfield and he never came out of it.

I think Josh's focus is off. 

He famous, he's doing commercials and interviews, his phone his ringing off the hook. Enough to divert focus from the little things

Josh needs to quiet the life outside of football and get back to purely focusing on football IMO

Another thing might be that everything this team did in the off season and up until the KC game was focused overcoming the Chiefs.  And once Josh and the Bills beat Mahomes and the Chiefs in Week 6 the whole group just had a mental letdown like it was "clear sailing" to the SB.  So maybe getting kicked in the privates yesterday might be what's needed to get their attention and play with that fire and enthusiasm they had leading into the bye week.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Folks here will hate this, but I haven't seen Tom Brady play this poorly in 20 years.

If Josh is going to be considered elite of the elite, he simply can't have games that are this bad.

I honestly didn't think he had games like this left in him; I thought he has progressed beyond these forever at this stage in his development.  Guess not.

Tom Brady threw 4 ints right here in buffalo blowing a 21 point lead... cool he got a couple more tds i guess?

T. Brady30-45, 387 YDS, 4 TD, 4 INT

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think Allen has got to a point where things have been so easy for him for so long that he kind of has brought this on himself. He doesn't make adjustments when the OLine isn't doing as well, he still wants to push the ball downfield and thinks he can just run around and make up for it.

We needed the Rams game Josh Allen today and he wanted to be the Steelers game Josh Allen.

going along  with your thoughts I haven't read this exact term being used lately to describe #17.  But is it possible he is in a "hero" type mentality where he wants to not just lead but just gripping too hard , not thinking correctly about utilizing his other playmakers besides Diggs? What can Dorsey do to turn this trend around? The team and coaches will rally . 

6 quarters of Josh Alen not playing well doesn't dispel his ability as a franchise QB.  Me saying he will resume great football play won't mean squat until he comes out and plays well to lift the pessimism  Im reading today. But still ye gads. He still has alllll the attributes we glowingly bestowed on him previously. It reads as if some posters are giving up on him. Pathetic. 

The more I see JA doing more and more commercials I cringe.   The other day I saw a razor commercial in addition to the snack chips commercials.  

Commercials take lots of time to make, are a big distraction to a team, team mates get jealous, it creates a superiority attitude (Aaron Rogers) and it causes him to lose focus and appear less committed to winning.  Poor team dynamics.  

Josh- Pleas stop the commercials until AFTER you win a few super bowls!  You have plenty of time to be a mega superstar- win first and the world is yours! 

TEAM first my friend !   The extra curriculars are at the expense of your game and your team.  I have seen many a good team fall before they rise! 

Peace.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

How do you know this is the case, when were the commercials filmed? Times and dates and what preparations was Josh making during the game week? How many hours was he weight training, studying film, working with backs and receivers? I want specifics, if you don't have them then STFU!

Close this dumb ass thread already!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

going along  with your thoughts I haven't read this exact term being used lately to describe #17.  But is it possible he is in a "hero" type mentality where he wants to not just lead but just gripping too hard , not thinking correctly about utilizing his other playmakers besides Diggs? What can Dorsey do to turn this trend around? The team and coaches will rally . 

6 quarters of Josh Alen not playing well doesn't dispel his ability as a franchise QB.  Me saying he will resume great football play won't mean squat until he comes out and plays well to lift the pessimism  Im reading today. But still ye gads. He still has alllll the attributes we glowingly bestowed on him previously. It reads as if some posters are giving up on him. Pathetic. 

So what's happened with this is he has been under pressure a lot, but instead of adjusting and being like "well the OLine isn't going to hold up as well as I thought", and starting to dump the ball down, he still wants to go deep but the timing gets disrupted by him having to move around.

Additionally both GB and the Jets are good in coverage as well, so it's not as effective as if he was doing that against lesser teams.

Basically Allen hasn't been willing to go back to playing dink and dunk when it's been needed after all of these deep throws he has been hitting lately...it's like he's so amped up to make those plays he doesn't want to go back to the boring ones. But we need him to...

Perhaps the worst thing in the game was opening up with a long bomb to Diggs because that only had him amped up even more to continue trying to do it even tho the covesge dictated to dump it down short.

So basically, good pressure up from mixed with good coverage by the D has made it more difficult for Allen to find guys open deep. The adjustment is to take the easy throws that are there. Same thing as Mahomes didn't do last year during his slump for many games. 

This likely is always going to be a problem at some point during the year for Allen...he will be fine, he just needs to take more easy plays.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So what's happened with this is he has been under pressure a lot, but instead of adjusting and being like "well the OLine isn't going to hold up as well as I thought", and starting to dump the ball down, he still wants to go deep but the timing gets disrupted by him having to move around.

Additionally both GB and the Jets are good in coverage as well, so it's not as effective as if he was doing that against lesser teams.

Basically Allen hasn't been willing to go back to playing dink and dunk when it's been needed after all of these deep throws he has been hitting lately...it's like he's so amped up to make those plays he doesn't want to go back to the boring ones. But we need him to...

Perhaps the worst thing in the game was opening up with a long bomb to Diggs because that only had him amped up even more to continue trying to do it even tho the covesge dictated to dump it down short.

so my question now is will Dorsey get the memo and begin calling the shorter option play calls? How much latitude does #17 have to call what HE wants to do vs what is being called from upstairs? I honestly dont know the answer to this do you Turk?

We need to use Gilliam more and have 2 back sets to help with pass protection and power runs, we have the personnel to do it, this would take a lot of presser off of JA.

This is my biggest gripe with the offense, the play action pass is ineffective the last few games. The defenders go right to JA and don't even think the handoff is happening.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

so my question now is will Dorsey get the memo and begin calling the shorter option play calls? How much latitude does #17 have to call what HE wants to do vs what is being called from upstairs? I honestly dont know the answer to this do you Turk?

There isn't really any memo to get...those plays are there for the taking if he goes there first.  The problem is Allen wants to wait for longer developing routes, doesn't have the time for them to develop and by the time he comes back to the shorter options, they aren't as open as they were immediately. He is facing 2 high shells again and unlike the Rams/Titans games doesn't seem willing to just take the easy throws now.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Flucod said:

How do you know this is the case, when were the commercials filmed? Times and dates and what preparations was Josh making during the game week? How many hours was he weight training, studying film, working with backs and receivers? I want specifics, if you don't have them then STFU!

I have watched many a football season and have an understanding of team dynamics.  Do you think Kansas City is as good as they were since Mahomes is on every other commercial?  Or the Packers?  

It affects teams, believe it or don't.  

37 minutes ago, Flucod said:

Not too late, I just do not want to see it get any worse. 

The biggest example of a team getting too big for their heads was the 1985 Chicago Bears.  Arguably the most talented roster ever assembled.  They were flat out destroying teams and should have won several super bowls and not just one.  

Coach Mike Ditka was all over the TV and had restaurants and other businesses after that season as were QB Jim McMahon and many other members of the team.  

Such a waste of talent because they lost focus.  

17 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

I have watched many a football season and have an understanding of team dynamics.  Do you think Kansas City is as good as they were since Mahomes is on every other commercial?  Or the Packers?  

It affects teams, believe it or don't.  

I think the Chiefs are doing just fine. Patrick Mahomes worst season was 12 wins and losing the AFCCG in OT. 

Tom Brady really hurt his career by doing commercials. 7 SB rings is cool and all, but he could've had double digits if he wasn't distracted by commercials!  

A A Ron and the Packers suck this year. He did win back to back MVPs the last 2 years while starring in commercials, so I don't think that's the reason for the sudden decline. It might have more to do with Adams leaving and not drafting any quality WR. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

So basically, good pressure up from mixed with good coverage by the D has made it more difficult for Allen to find guys open deep. The adjustment is to take the easy throws that are there. Same thing as Mahomes didn't do last year during his slump for many games. 

This likely is always going to be a problem at some point during the year for Allen...he will be fine, he just needs to take more easy plays.

Everyone just assumes McKenzie and Shakir are invisible. On the int to Gardner Shakir is wide open. Someone was wide open crossing on the near int he threw to diggs.

Ball out faster. Run by passing.

Again I don't put the blame 100% on Allen for this teams struggles as of late, but at some point if you want to be the best in the game you have to overcome deficiencies around you like Mahomes is doing this year with arguably his worse supporting cast in his career.

And if JA17 keeps locking onto Diggs not only are the turnovers going to come in more bunches, this team will go nowhere as the book is out now in terms of stopping what was already a one dimensional offense to begin with because they can't/won't run the football.

Josh will pull it together.  Would like to see his body language improve.  Arguably he gets into his own head more than the opponent.  Hopefully Dorsey is playing the calm "dad" figure with Josh when he gets frustrated.

Kelly would throw a couple picks and act like "no big deal" and come back and win.  Never gave the either team an indication that he was frustrated or beaten.  I used to wonder how he could just sluff it off, but in hindsight, he kept command.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.