Was the Bronco's 2018 Draft the Worst in NFL History?

st pete gogolak

The raiders every year is the worst draft of all time. Other than the steal of Crosby, the raiders have been impressively bad. I thought the broncos stole that draft honestly, Chubb by most analysts was far and away the best player in that draft. They got the best pass rusher in the draft at #5, that's a steal in today's draft. Now they are flipping him for a 1st, not a huge loss.

I would look more at the browns and giants as the worst draft of 2018. Browns missed on Allen and Jackson and Chubb with 2 picks. Giants new Eli had maybe a year left in tank and took an RB. Yes saquon is an elite RB, but what good has an elite rb done for them on that roster without a franchise qb and defense? Giants could be building around Allen or Jackson or even chubb right now, not hoping that Daniel Jones miraculously becomes great before saquon is out of his prime.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The 2014, 2015, 2016 Bills drafts were arguably as bad, if not worse.

Those 3 drafts were bad, I agree, but none were worse than 2000. It’s not possible. 2016 still has a couple of productive players in the league, the others had contributors as well. None of those 2000 players were worth much outside of Sammy Morris when he wasn’t injured. I could compile a list of the undrafted players from 2000 that would be far more productive than the Bills picks.

13 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

OK, maybe not the absolute worst in NFL history but they are sitting at #5 in a supposedly historic QB class and their QB is Case Keenum.  Not only do they not draft Josh Allen but they turn down a trade with the Bills because they absolutely, positively have to have Bradley Chubb at #5.  They churn through Keenum, Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock and decide they are a QB away from the Super Bowl and give the farm away for what looks like a washed Russell Wilson.  The cherry on top is now trading Chubb for a #1.  What a frickin' disaster.  

Except it wasn’t a historic QB Class. You have 1 stud and Lamar Jackson the rest are stiffs. 

The trade for Wilson looks awful, but has nothing to do with that draft.

Time has faded the fact that the the Indianapolis Colts had terrible drafting in the early 1990s.  They have candidates for worst draft in history with their 1990 and 1992 drafts.

In 1990, they picked Jeff George 1st overall, despite all his problems at Illinois, choosing him over guys like Cortez Kennedy, Junior Seau, Emmitt Smith.  He was gone by 1993.

In 1992, they were one of only 2 teams in NFL history to have both the #1 and #2 picks.  They picked Steve Emtman (50 games) and Quentin Coryatt (82 games).  That draft was arguably also one of the worst in NFL history.  No HOF players.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

OK, maybe not the absolute worst in NFL history but they are sitting at #5 in a supposedly historic QB class and their QB is Case Keenum.  Not only do they not draft Josh Allen but they turn down a trade with the Bills because they absolutely, positively have to have Bradley Chubb at #5.  They churn through Keenum, Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock and decide they are a QB away from the Super Bowl and give the farm away for what looks like a washed Russell Wilson.  The cherry on top is now trading Chubb for a #1.  What a frickin' disaster.  

Well the Broncos are now the Walmart of the NFL so should we expect more ?? 

Every team can likely argue it has had “the worst” draft.  The Bills have finally gotten back on track but it helps when you have a QB that plays lie he is Superman from another planet.  Until the QB is in place your team is likely to go through a GM and coaching carousel.  This is death for drafts because each incoming regime wants something a little different.

11 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Chubb, Sutton, and Josey Jewell are all good players so no, it’s not even close to the “worst of all time”. I can think of several Bills drafts off the top of my head that were much worse.

Right. There’s a difference between “none of your picks from that draft amounted to anything” and “I can’t believe they picked Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan/Bradley Chubb ahead of Josh Allen.” 

On 11/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, Watkins101 said:

Also, there have been many worse returns than a 1st after 4 years of play for a top 5 pick. Take Baker Mayfield from the same draft, who went 1 OA, then traded him for scraps to Carolina. 

That is because Browns front office is dealing with scraps for minds in Cleveland.

The title of the thread was more for effect than anything.  Of course, Broncos' 2018 draft wasn't worst of all time.  Many, many drafts were worse.  I guess the point I was trying to make is that unless you have Allen, Mahones, Brady in his prime, etc.  you have to evaluate your QB situation every single year.  Someone pointed out that Keenum wasn't a Bronco at draft time.  I didn't realize that but it makes the Broncos situation that year even more puzzling.  At #5, they had firepower to move up (possibly) to get a QB.  Did they do their homework on Allen (who played next door at Wyoming for goodness sakes) and didn't believe him worthy?   Just puzzling draft from that perspective.

"Worst Draft Ever"

1st round pick: Bradley Chubb, Pro-bowler, impact player

2nd round pick: Courtland Sutton, Pro-bowler, impact player

3rd round pick: Royce Freeman, role player, 1,356 rushing yards

4th round pick: Josey Jewell, led team in tackles in 2020, still a decent player

How in god's name could you possibly call this the worst draft ever...

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:16 AM, dpberr said:

Time has faded the fact that the the Indianapolis Colts had terrible drafting in the early 1990s.  They have candidates for worst draft in history with their 1990 and 1992 drafts.

In 1990, they picked Jeff George 1st overall, despite all his problems at Illinois, choosing him over guys like Cortez Kennedy, Junior Seau, Emmitt Smith.  He was gone by 1993.

In 1992, they were one of only 2 teams in NFL history to have both the #1 and #2 picksThey picked Steve Emtman (50 games) and Quentin Coryatt (82 games).  That draft was arguably also one of the worst in NFL history.  No HOF players.  

Looked this up becuase I was so curious. Both of these guys had terrible injuries. Rough luck for the Colts and players

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

The title of the thread was more for effect than anything.  Of course, Broncos' 2018 draft wasn't worst of all time.  Many, many drafts were worse.  I guess the point I was trying to make is that unless you have Allen, Mahones, Brady in his prime, etc.  you have to evaluate your QB situation every single year.  Someone pointed out that Keenum wasn't a Bronco at draft time.  I didn't realize that but it makes the Broncos situation that year even more puzzling.  At #5, they had firepower to move up (possibly) to get a QB.  Did they do their homework on Allen (who played next door at Wyoming for goodness sakes) and didn't believe him worthy?   Just puzzling draft from that perspective.

Allen was an exceptionally polarizing prospect. Some had him rated as the #1 overall best prospect. Others didn't rate him as even a 1st rounder. 

I don't think it's a surprise to see the Broncos pass on him to take a "sure-fire" defensive guy (who I'll note has been a very good player in the NFL). 

My comparison would be the 2017 Bills passing on Mahomes and Watson. The Bills hit on Allen the next year and the rest, as they say, is history. The Broncos haven't hit on the QB position since then, but if Wilson wasn't such a shocking failure I think this would be a very different conversation. 

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Well that is just false

On March 14, 2018, Keenum signed a two-year, $36 million contract with the Denver Broncos.[84]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum

Draft was April 26th that year

Can anything be worse than this:

1994112727Jeff BurrisDBNotre Dame

221948Bucky BrooksWRNorth Carolina

323261Lonnie JohnsonTEFlorida State

423564Sam RogersLBColorado

531681Marlo PerryLBJackson State

633398Corey LouchieyTSouth Carolina

7427130Sean CrockerDBNorth Carolina

8527158A.J. OfodileTEMissouri

9627188Anthony AbramsDEClark

10631192Kevin KnoxWRFlorida State

11727221Filmel JohnsonDBIllinois

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Can anything be worse than this:

1994112727Jeff BurrisDBNotre Dame

221948Bucky BrooksWRNorth Carolina

323261Lonnie JohnsonTEFlorida State

423564Sam RogersLBColorado

531681Marlo PerryLBJackson State

633398Corey LouchieyTSouth Carolina

7427130Sean CrockerDBNorth Carolina

8527158A.J. OfodileTEMissouri

9627188Anthony AbramsDEClark

10631192Kevin KnoxWRFlorida State

11727221Filmel JohnsonDBIllinois

Actually, I think Burris and Rogers elevates this in the decent category, let alone not "worst of all time".  Marlo Perry and Lonnie Johnson has some moments as well.  Not great, but far from terrible.  

On 11/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Remember when a lot of people here used to cry about the Mahomes draft/ trade with the Bills ?

We dont hear a lot about that anymore for some reason...

Good question........because it's not because Allen has won an MVP,  been to 4 straight AFC championships and 2 Super Bowls,  won a Super Bowl and eliminated/defeated Mahomes in the postseason the past two seasons.    

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Good question........because it's not because Allen has won an MVP,  been to 4 straight AFC championships and 2 Super Bowls,  won a Super Bowl and eliminated/defeated Mahomes in the postseason the past two seasons.    

I look at the future …not the past 

Not even close to the worst that year. The Jets have only 1 player left from that draft (3rd rounder Nathan Shepherd) and he's only started 9 games in 4.5 seasons, including none this season.  Worse yet, they gave up 2018 picks 6, 37 and 49 and 2019 pick 34 to move up to 3 to select Darnold at #3 overall.  

1    3     Sam Darnold     QB       

3    72   Nathan Shepherd     DT      
4    107  Chris Herndon     TE       
6    179  Parry Nickerson     CB     
6    180  Folorunso Fatukasi     DT    
6    204  New York Jets    Trenton Cannon     RB    

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Actually, I think Burris and Rogers elevates this in the decent category, let alone not "worst of all time".  Marlo Perry and Lonnie Johnson has some moments as well.  Not great, but far from terrible.  

Not so many Pro Bowl players on that list. Lonnie Johnson DID have some moments.....all of them bad.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I look at the future …not the past 

Yet you were literally dredging up the past. 

We've stopped talking about it only because we like our QB and are focused on maybe winning a SB this season.  

But at the same time it's neither a score that can be settled or a mistake that can be rectified in just one season.........the 2017 Bills draft hierarchy created their biggest obstacle to the SB for the subsequent 6 seasons and counting with that trade and are literally 0-2 versus Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs and have had to watch them play in 2 SB's and win 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yet you were literally dredging up the past. 

We've stopped talking about it only because we like our QB and are focused on maybe winning a SB this season.  

But at the same time it's neither a score that can be settled or a mistake that can be rectified in just one season.........the 2017 Bills draft hierarchy created their biggest obstacle to the SB for the subsequent 6 seasons and counting with that trade and are literally 0-2 versus Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs and have had to watch them play in 2 SB's and win 1.

Regardless of what has happened the past 4 seasons… who do you want now as your QB moving forward ?

Would he (Mahomes) have won a SB here by now if they drafted him? Different team around him, different coaching …

We both know who was to blame in the last playoff game…

I hope the Chiefs fans enjoyed beating us the past two years because the following games they stunk …and ended the season with the same result as us…. no championship…

On 11/2/2022 at 6:59 PM, co_springs_billsfan said:

How about the Saints trading all of this for Ricky Williams:

1999 - 1st (12th Overall)

1999 - 3rd

1999 - 4th

1999 - 5th

1999 - 6th

1999 - 7th

2000 - 1st (2nd Overall)

2000 - 3rd

Was Ditka paid to sabotage the Saints? One has to wonder 🤷🏼‍♂️

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Regardless of what has happened the past 4 seasons… who do you want now as your QB moving forward ?

Would he (Mahomes) have won a SB here by now if they drafted him? Different team around him, different coaching …

We both know who was to blame in the last playoff game…

I hope the Chiefs fans enjoyed beating us the past two years because the following games they stunk …and ended the season with the same result as us…. no championship…

It was just a nonsensical thing for you to bring up.   Then after looking at the scoreboard you say you don't want to live in the past..........and then pose a bunch of hypotheticals about the past and the future. :doh:   Scoreboard is the name of the game in sports.

The reality is that they aren't going to win that trade.  It's already cost them two playoff eliminations.   They got Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds out of the deal(after a little sweetening to trade up) and they will both likely be retired while Mahomes is in still in his prime in his early-mid 30's.

Maybe Allen goes on to win a SB or more and has a greater career than Mahomes but right now Mahomes is playing a style of game that lends itself to longevity.   Allen is going into uncharted waters with the amount of running he does........no QB that has run anywhere near as much as Allen has remained elite past year 8(Allen is in year 5).  

So my advice is live in the present with a QB like Allen........and save the victory laps until there is a victory to lap about.   

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Without even reading through this thread, how in the HECK does the OP NOT summarize the entire draft in question or at least list the picks? Really bad form here. Come on. Provide some darned content for us to consider and respond to.

Bad form is Bills fans calling out another team for struggling to find a franchise QB. It took the Bills 22 years to do it.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was just a nonsensical thing for you to bring up.   Then after looking at the scoreboard you say you don't want to live in the past..........and then pose a bunch of hypotheticals about the past and the future. :doh:   Scoreboard is the name of the game in sports.

The reality is that they aren't going to win that trade.  It's already cost them two playoff eliminations.   They got Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds out of the deal(after a little sweetening to trade up) and they will both likely be retired while Mahomes is in still in his prime in his early-mid 30's.

Maybe Allen goes on to win a SB or more and has a greater career than Mahomes but right now Mahomes is playing a style of game that lends itself to longevity.   Allen is going into uncharted waters with the amount of running he does........no QB that has run anywhere near as much as Allen has remained elite past year 8(Allen is in year 5).  

So my advice is live in the present with a QB like Allen........and save the victory laps until there is a victory to lap about.   

And now you are posing  “ hypotheticals” predicting players longevity… So you are living in the future too? Good on you…

It beats living in the past crying about a trade 5 years ago … like I said…  Mahomes beat the Bills twice ( “ two playoff eliminations”) but what did that lead to for them…  the following games  in the SB and particularly against the Bengals he was terrible…..he cost them a championship last year with his performance in the 2nd half of that AFC title game …

I’m going to live in the present for the moment and and enjoy this season..…with the hope it leads to a Championship…. They are looking pretty good.. If we get a victory lap I’ll let you know …

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.