Former bill Sam Gash battle with cancer

Chicharito

5 hours ago, Chicharito said:

First I have ever heard of this. I remember him just trucking guys. One hell of a FB. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/former-nfl-player-sam-gash-focusing-on-positives-after-going-through-multiple-ba

This was the era when the Bills had the coolest names. Gash, Spikes, Bledsoe. Def a childhood hero of mine. He was a mauler in that backfield. Get well ! 

Funny Sam Gash story.

He came into our dealership about 20 years ago, I recognized him and went up and said hello, a few others did as well including the owner. I joked with Sam, I said "I don't think you're a very good blocker". In fact, I don't think you could block me! (I'm a past my prime, out of shape, never could have in my prime either). I get down in a 3 pt. stance and said get ready! He giggled and we all burst out laughing. He was really a cool dude.

Best recovery wishes Sam.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chicharito said:

First I have ever heard of this. I remember him just trucking guys. One hell of a FB. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/former-nfl-player-sam-gash-focusing-on-positives-after-going-through-multiple-ba

Amazing story... 3 cancers in 2 years plus 20 surgeries, plus his Mom getting cancer.

Good thing he's such a tough son of a gun.

Prayers to you Sam in your fight. Glad you're cancer free.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't understand the 60K bill. Don't NFL vets keep their medical insurance when they retire? 

It's one of the dirty secrets of the NFL.  They make billions of dollars, but they treat former players like *****.  The medical care for former players is a joke.  Joe Delamiellure used to be on the radio all the time talking about how he has to lobby the NFL just to get decent medical care and pensions for retired players.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's one of the dirty secrets of the NFL.  They make billions of dollars, but they treat former players like *****.  The medical care for former players is a joke.  Joe Delamiellure used to be on the radio all the time talking about how he has to lobby the NFL just to get decent medical care and pensions for retired players.  

If this is the case the union should fight harder for retired players. Sadly, current employees often think in the short team and want everything right now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If this is the case the union should fight harder for retired players. Sadly, current employees often think in the short team and want everything right now.

One of Joe D's biggest beefs was with the NFLPA, which got good benefits for current players, but left the former players on the ***** plan.

Hey folks, please read the article:

from nfl.com

"In August of that year, Allison Maki, the Lions' chief financial and administrative officer -- and a friend of Gash's from his time as an assistant coach in Detroit -- introduced Gash to a new program designed for eligible former NFL players in Gash's shoes: the NFL's Dedicated Hospital Network Program.

Initiated that year as part of the most recent collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, the NFL DHN provides eligible former players under the age of 65 with access to preventive care, primary medical care and mental health services, with certain services fully covered. This first-of-its-kind program, administered by Cigna, features high-quality medical care providers in every NFL city.....

Gash -- who said he was, at last check, "cancer-free" -- is also thankful for the NFL DHN program. The cost of his subsequent cancer treatments, which could have far surpassed that first bill of $60,000, has tallied roughly $7,000, with the NFL DHN benefits providing significant financial support."

Joe D and others representing retired players had a significant win in the last CBA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I always liked Sam.  He was my best friend's favorite Bill.  Good to hear that Sam has responded well to the cancer treatments so far.  For college football fans, an interesting tidbit - Sam's son Isaiah Gash is a running back for Michigan.  He's 4th or 5th on the depth chart, so he doesn't get a lot of snaps, but because the team is having a good year, there are a lot of blowouts, affording reps to some of the guys further down the depth chart like Isaiah.

https://mgoblue.com/sports/football/roster/isaiah-gash/23052

13 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

Gash was just a straight up football player. That 98-99 team was just a tough, hard nosed team. Especially with Gash and that D. 

And we had one hell of a QB.  His name was Doug Flutie.  I loved watching him play.  

But best wishes to Sam Gash.  He was a great football player at what he did.  He could take a screen pass and did not have to juke anyone.  Hope he is around for a long time.  God Bless.

According to medicalnewstoday.com, roughly half of people will get cancer in their lifetime. Before the industrial revolution, that rate was more like 1 in 16. Draw your own conclusions. In any case, it's  a tragedy. I've known far too many people who've died from cancer. I hope to hear soon that Sam is on the mend. Once a Bill, always a Bill.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:23 PM, Chicharito said:

They had him on 1 Bills Live a little while back & he told the story this is like his 3rd or 4th go round with this disease but he keeps beating it but when he does it comes back in a different form prayers up to him he is as strong in this fight as he ever was on the field ...

On 10/26/2022 at 4:27 PM, GreggTX said:

According to medicalnewstoday.com, roughly half of people will get cancer in their lifetime. Before the industrial revolution, that rate was more like 1 in 16. Draw your own conclusions. In any case, it's  a tragedy. I've known far too many people who've died from cancer. I hope to hear soon that Sam is on the mend. Once a Bill, always a Bill.

It is also related to increase in lifespans. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.