Shaq Lawson has been playing good.

akcash

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Unfortunately, neither of them are on 2 year deals-  2 big holes for next year.  

Question is, now that they know what it's like elsewhere and they seem to play their best here do we offer to extend them and are they willing to take a team friendly deal to stay? 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

They might re-sign here if realize they can maximize their potential here and possibly win more. 

I really do hope so.  

Maximize their potential and win a title or maximize their guaranteed money.  That is the question.  

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Question is, now that they know what it's like elsewhere and they seem to play their best here do we offer to extend them and are they willing to take a team friendly deal to stay? 

Yup.  Those guys taking less to stay year after year would cement them in history if we were to win a SB with them.  Maybe we could put them on the wall of fame as Shaq Phillips

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was kind of indifferent to him resigning with the team. I thought he would be decent depth.

I'm glad we have him now, with all the injuries we have been dealing with. He is good depth.

You think he comes off the bench?  I think he’ll be starting.  Last game he played 61% of the snaps

Rousseau 63%
Basham 39%
Epenesa 37%

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You think he comes off the bench?  I think he’ll be starting.  Last game he played 61% of the snaps

Rousseau 63%
Basham 39%
Epenesa 37%

Not what I meant. He is good depth because he is now able to fill in adequately for a starter (Miller) who is hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I was going to start a Shaq appreciation thread this morning. Glad this was bumped.  His 1 year 1.1M contract turned out to be the best value signing of the offseason.  I thought of him as a 5th DL that would only be active due to injury.  Turns out he’s been our 3rd best DE and should get 55%+ of the snaps for the remainder of the season.  He’s made a handful of huge plays for us this season.

With neither AJ or Boogie showing vast improvement (yet), I would hope we

look to bring him back again next season. The question is, at what price?  I doubt 1 for 1.1M is going to cut it again.  I envision both he and Jordan leaving for “greener” pastures next year as it’ll be their last time to try and cash in on anything other than 1 year deals. 

but I hope we can retain both.  

Both learned the hard way of role players with specific talents are not universal when playing in the DL.

20 years ago + a DL was essentially plug and play. It's not anymore. And when zone blocking works it's way up to the NFL it'll be even harder to be a DL. 

Zone blocking became a think 20 years ago in high school  and still working it's way up. The terms like OIL and such were early versions of the concept. You didn't block the man but you blocked the path of the play with those key players being in your zone. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/18/2022 at 8:35 AM, eball said:

Romo said it several times during the game that the Bills' 8-man DL rotation is superb.  Lawson is a huge part of that.

Beane knocked it out of the park with the way he addressed the DL in the offseason, with the crowning jewel, of course, being Von.

It's just a shame he couldn't do something about the outside WR depth.

or the OL

On 10/18/2022 at 8:33 AM, boyst said:

i was thinking we should have added him last year during hte post season.

this year early i was waffling including letting him be inactive during the Chiefs game.

i was wrong for that.

He’s just a fantastic role player. He does a lot well and he’s always in the right position. Shaq is the kind of smart guy that the Pats had for 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Shaq has been real good imo. Lots of energy. Good edge setter and sometimes gets good pressure. I do fear he lets his emotions get the best of him at times and that he'll end up ejected for fighting or something. He seems to be restrained by teammates often enough. But those are the guys you want on your side dudes that'll back you up and stand up for things. I like the dude. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I was going to start a Shaq appreciation thread this morning. Glad this was bumped.  His 1 year 1.1M contract turned out to be the best value signing of the offseason.  I thought of him as a 5th DL that would only be active due to injury.  Turns out he’s been our 3rd best DE and should get 55%+ of the snaps for the remainder of the season.  He’s made a handful of huge plays for us this season.

With neither AJ or Boogie showing vast improvement (yet), I would hope we

look to bring him back again next season. The question is, at what price?  I doubt 1 for 1.1M is going to cut it again.  I envision both he and Jordan leaving for “greener” pastures next year as it’ll be their last time to try and cash in on anything other than 1 year deals. 

but I hope we can retain both.  

Shaq should for sure get a lions share opposite Groot. With some AJ and Boogoe sprinkled in. Hopefully being fresh and looking to prove something they play with their hair on fire. 

they should also be offered contracts that get them to retire as Bills. 

• Agree 1

On 10/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, hemma said:

You may have been correct on that.  Sunday Mahomes ran for 21 vs 69 last year.  

We’re definitely a lot better vs the run with DaQuan & Shaq.

and Settle

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s just a fantastic role player. He does a lot well and he’s always in the right position. Shaq is the kind of smart guy that the Pats had for 20 years.

is that why I don't notice him ! Seriously.

I do notice the players who are missing gaps and tackles etc.

Lawson is alright :)

• Like (+1) 1

It's going to take a true platoon/committee type of approach at DE to replace Miller and have any chance of winning playoff games next month.

I was encouraged by what I saw out of Groot in his first game back but there's much work to be done between him/Lawson/Basham/Epenesa to truly believe this defense won't be a major liability against the elite QB's and offenses we are going to see in Miami/KC/CIN/etc.

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

They both collected big contracts elsewhere so they would likely be more willing to take a hometown discount also teams might be weary of giving them bigger offers since they both didn’t do too hot outside of Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Shaq Lawson has been playing WELL!

He's playing GOOD football!

What are they teaching you young whipper snappers these days?!

(Just playing! 😋)

Kind of bugged me too (can't help it!) . . . 

• Agree 1

On 12/9/2022 at 3:47 PM, MJS said:

I was kind of indifferent to him resigning with the team. I thought he would be decent depth.

I'm glad we have him now, with all the injuries we have been dealing with. He is good depth.

I believe he can also kick inside. Remember how we did that with Lorax? Why can't we do that once in a while with Shaq and the Boogster. I think this would be very effective, run and rush.

He played well the last time he was a Bill but McD kept starting PED Murphy over him. Murphy went from starter with Bills to out of the league. That said Lawson didn't do much with Dolphins and Jets. 

If he, Basham, and Epenesa can at least hold their own, Rousseau and Oliver should be able to generate some pass rush.

Read in The Athletic that Rousseau played 27 of the first 29 snaps against the Pats and Lawson played 26 of the first 29. Just incredibly lopsided numbers given our want for a heavy rotation and goes to show what the staff thinks of AJE and Basham.

3 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I am extremely happy we signed lawson. He plays the run very well, and year after year seems to be lamar Jackson's kryptonite. The bills are still a strong superbowl contender with him filling in for von.

He was always good at defending the run and a pedestrian pass rusher. 

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Read in The Athletic that Rousseau played 27 of the first 29 snaps against the Pats and Lawson played 26 of the first 29. Just incredibly lopsided numbers given our want for a heavy rotation and goes to show what the staff thinks of AJE and Basham.

Maybe, but could also point to them wanting fresh guys going later in the game against tired olinemen. 

2 hours ago, balln said:

He’s a JAG player. He’s best at setting the edge / run defender. That’s fine and well.  But in this league - you need to get the qb to the ground. He has 1 sack in one game. And a half sack in another. That’s it

AJE has 4.5 sacks and is playing a fraction of the snaps. Did you ever wonder why?

I often watch games with my brother, a former college QB. For 3 years now, he has pointed out how Epenesa is always out of position. The Bills coaching staff is apparently seeing the same thing. He plays in pass rush situations because he can create pressure. As @JayBaller10 said earlier Shaq & Groot played 53 of the first 58 snaps vs. New England. That should tell you who the coaching staff trusts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

AJE has 4.5 sacks and is playing a fraction of the snaps. Did you ever wonder why?

I often watch games with my brother, a former college QB. For 3 years now, he has pointed out how Epenesa is always out of position. The Bills coaching staff is apparently seeing the same thing. He plays in pass rush situations because he can create pressure. As @JayBaller10 said earlier Shaq & Groot played 53 of the first 58 snaps vs. New England. That should tell you who the coaching staff trusts. 

AJE is horrible. No argument there. What else are the coaches going to do they dont have anyone else to play DE. Not about trust. 

I think just from seeing what Shaq & Phiiips have done since coming back that some players just fit in certain schemes better than others and can play to their personal strengths more in these schemes .

Then you add if they like their coaches & they come across with a good relationship with these players they will as they say run through a wall for them it all adds to good out put & i think given what the Bills have in both areas that could be a part of why these guys seem to play better & have better out put here than on other teams they have played for .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.