Spencer Brown ankle injury

YoloinOhio

I’m guessing it’s a high ankle sprain which sucks but he should at least return in a few weeks.

During a commercial break I read online they brought the stretcher out for him so I was thinking the injury would be worse

56 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Don’t like hearing him say it is a “bad sprain”. 
That’s usually a 4-6 week recovery. 
Hoping for less, he looked to really be playing well after missing most of the off-season.

Probably similar to Jake Kumerow who has been out since Week 3 

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ford sucking so bad has set the OL back a few years and forced them to pay out too much in FA. 

Next draft needs to address OL early and multiple picks. Thats only possible if they bring back Edmunds,Poyer, and if they feel Hamlin can play safety long term. Otherwise it will be defense again.

What?  Who did we pay?  Saffold?  Dawkins and Brown and Bates are all in house peeps on reasonable or rookie deals.  Quessenberry got not much.  Morse predates Ford.  

Are we still in that set back period?  I think OL has been good to great in pass pro.

2 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Brown was dominant at times last year.  Like most of the O-line they have regressed.  Kromer not a good hire.

The line has certainly not regressed. They are not at all "dominant" but most likely in the Top 10. The running game has moved up to "average," which was about the same or better than all of last year. The improvement might be due to moving toward more pin and pull blocking techniques and the pressure rates have improved.  This is likely due to the starting five have actually played together the past two weeks. And just as important, over the first six weeks, most if not all of the opponent DLines are probably within the Top 10 in the league.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

This discussion probably deserves its own thread, but now that the D Line is stacked, its time to draft some high-end O Line talent.

I understand building the D Line first. Our depth there allows us to only rush 4 and opens our defensive playbook. It's been a great strategy. But boy, what will we look like with a few more dominant O linemen???

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I’m guessing it’s a high ankle sprain which sucks but he should at least return in a few weeks.

During a commercial break I read online they brought the stretcher out for him so I was thinking the injury would be worse

Probably similar to Jake Kumerow who has been out since Week 3 

Thought the sideline reporter said they brought out the cart, but Spencer waved it off and walked back to the sideline and then locker room.

As long as Brown is back in a few weeks, all good.  Quessenberry is certainly good enough to hold it down for the time being.  

Bills OL is pretty solid tbh.  For all the accolades the Chiefs OL gets, and rightfully so with all the investment (Money/Picks) Mahomes was under more pressure than Allen and we actually ran the ball better than they did.  

Granted, our DL is elite.. but I think people who constantly harp on our OL don't watch many other OL's around the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

This discussion probably deserves its own thread, but now that the D Line is stacked, its time to draft some high-end O Line talent.

I understand building the D Line first. Our depth there allows us to only rush 4 and opens our defensive playbook. It's been a great strategy. But boy, what will we look like with a few more dominant O linemen???

That's why I'm super hesitant to give up draft picks for CMC, especially a first rounder.  We need to draft some good, young OL talent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That's why I'm super hesitant to give up draft picks for CMC, especially a first rounder.  We need to draft some good, young OL talent.

Yeah, I reserve the right to change my mind, and I will certainly trust Beane with whatever he wants to do. But I would not give up a first or second round pick for Christian McCaffrey. Why? 1) we need top end linemen on rookie deals for long term success and 2) in the same way that a draft pick might not work out, McCaffrey's injuries might take him out too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Yeah, I reserve the right to change my mind, and I will certainly trust Beane with whatever he wants to do. But I would not give up a first or second round pick for Christian McCaffrey. Why? 1) we need top end linemen on rookie deals for long term success and 2) in the same way that a draft pick might not work out, McCaffrey's injuries might take him out too.

Yeah, signing vet OL lineman 1) costs too much against the cap over time and 2) they aren't going to be around as long as guys you get young and develop yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Spencer should have never been in game.

The guy just isn't good.  Team is trying its best to make the draft pick work, but time to make Q the starter.

I worry about depth, but Q needs to be starting over Brown.

Brown is a young, huge, athletic RT.  He is a bit raw and it hurt him to miss most of of off-season and training camp due to back surgery.  I think Brown’s upside is pretty high and he is worth developing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Brown is a young, huge, athletic RT.  He is a bit raw and it hurt him to miss most of of off-season and training camp due to back surgery.  I think Brown’s upside is pretty high and he is worth developing.  

I agree.  It's hard to develop OL players.  A DL can get a number of snaps and if he doesn't "win" his snap the worse that happens

is he becomes ineffective for that play.  When a developing O-Lineman doesn't win his snap, it can cause a huge loss to the offense.

It's a tough decision on the coaches and irritates us fans.  Knowing how hard it is, I give a little more leeway I guess than others do.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Update

This is why every year in the first 3 rounds the following 2 positions need to be addressed:  OL and WR. Do we have elite talent and depth in those two groups? If no, then address in first three rounds. Once that question is asked we can address other needs on the team. 

We need to constantly keep adding talent to the OL followed by the WR group for Allen. Protect him and give him weapons above all else. Allen is how our bread will get buttered for the next 10+ yrs. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Brown sucks…. He was god awful yesterday before the injury… how some fans feel the need to disagree with that reality I don’t understand. 

He's had an up and down season so far but we've played some damn good defensive lines so far. Still like this upside but always leery of 2nd year players on this team.

Thought Quessenbary stepped in and looked pretty good though should Brown be out for an extended out of time.

8 hours ago, UConn James said:

Thought the sideline reporter said they brought out the cart, but Spencer waved it off and walked back to the sideline and then locker room.

Correct he refused to get on it

Also a note normally they seen 2 big guys out to support or even help someone off the field under his arms.

But when your 6' 8" plus or minus

Don't think 🤔 there are many guys that can support that height

Groot maybe but he is still shorter

😆 🤣 

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You can get linemen in later rounds. You RARELY find game changing players there. Remember Stefon Diggs

You can. Just like you can find a Tom Brady at the 199th pick.  However, your chances of success and landing a top prospect are in the earlier rounds.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Unknown as of now.  He's likely waiting on the imaging results, or swelling to subside, Coach didn't have more info today.

We will be fortunate if he's back for GB, had the look of a serious injury initially.

That’s fine, just as long as he is not out for the season. Let him sit a the bye week and a couple of games and come back fully healthy. Quessenberry is a solid back up and can use the work, think we will be alright with him. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Correct he refused to get on it

Also a note normally they seen 2 big guys out to support or even help someone off the field under his arms.

But when your 6' 8" plus or minus

Don't think 🤔 there are many guys that can support that height

Groot maybe but he is still shorter

😆 🤣 

I like being 5-1, but when healthy we should also lead the league in rebounding! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Brown sucks…. He was god awful yesterday before the injury… how some fans feel the need to disagree with that reality I don’t understand. 

I don’t think there much between Brown and Quessenberry. I think Brown has a bigger upside, so I think he’s worth playing if both are healthy, but I doubt the Bills will lose much with him out. Unless Brown returns and takes a big leap though, I think they need to think about upgrading RT in the off-season if possible.

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

I don’t think there much between Brown and Quessenberry. I think Brown has a bigger upside, so I think he’s worth playing if both are healthy, but I doubt the Bills will lose much with him out. Unless Brown returns and takes a big leap though, I think they need to think about upgrading RT in the off-season if possible.

How many years has this been ?
 Talk about upgrading Right Tackle ?
Just the intensity of the conversation changes. But the chatter has been with us for "decades" ?

Didn't Darryl Williams or somebody where we thought we were okay  and have a good year ?
For the record I love Dion Dawkins, so we got that going for Us and likely the second most important player on the Bills line after Morse calling coverage etc

Ps  i hold hope out for Brown under Kromer. Q ? not so much

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.