Was the 98 yard TD to Gabe Davis, the best long throw of Allen’s career?

Einstein

I just re-watched this play and can’t believe how incredible it is.

When Allen releases this ball, Gabe is covered by two defenders. He has a defender in front of him and a defender next to him. 

And he is throwing into the wind!

Allen threw this with such perfect anticipation. It literally could not have been thrown better.

This is the moment Allen threw the ball:

4-DA74649-767-A-4-CD0-B69-B-0-DBA8872-B3

Here is the ALL-22 sideline view and you can see Allen about to release it.

FAFCC6-F2-8-D10-4-D7-C-A99-D-1-E681211-D

In my opinion, only the deep pass to Foster (2018?) as Allen was getting hit is close to this. This was perfection.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Great throw, third play of the game. Are you kidding me!

I still think Josh's best deep throw was the Jon Brown double move in NE. He rolls out right into a free rusher off the edge. Has to put the breaks on, shuffle back to his left and hold the ball long enough for Smoke to uncover with a free rusher coming right up the gut. 

https://youtu.be/cQxFnA7p58s

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Great throw, third play of the game. Are you kidding me!

I still think Josh's best deep throw was the Jon Brown double move in NE. He rolls out right into a free rusher off the edge. Has to put the breaks on, shuffle back to his left and hold the ball long enough for Smoke to uncover with a free rusher coming right up the gut. 

https://youtu.be/cQxFnA7p58s

I forgot about that one. That was a great one. I think it gets lost in the fray because we lost that game.

• Like (+1) 1

It was a good throw, but I don't think it was his best. 

The two that come to mind for me in terms of best throws are the one against the Pats in 2020 in NE(38-9 beatdown) where he runs right then doubles back left, is being chased by a Pats DLineman, stops, flips his hips and then throws a missile while of his back foot to Diggs who makes a diving catch in the EZ for a TD. Put it in a perfect place where only Diggs could catch it with a defender in tight coverage. A throw only maybe one or two other QB's would even consider throwing.

The other was the back foot laser to Diggs against the Cards that gave them the lead late in the game in 2020 where Diggs smoked Peterson, Allen didn't even step into the throw and threw a freaking 25 yard laser to Diggs for a perfect throw to the front pylon for a TD.

But I mean honestly there are a plethora of other throws you could choose from...it's like every game 3 or 4 throws that just make you shake your head in terms of how could that throw be possible.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I forgot about that one. That was a great one. I think it gets lost in the fray because we lost that game.

I think that was the play that stunned New England. We ultimately lost that game, but it was the warning shot of what was to come. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The two that come to mind for me in terms of best throws are the one against the Pats in 2020 in NE(38-9 beatdown) where he runs right then doubles back left, is being chased by a Pats DLineman, stops, flips his hips and then throws a missile while of his back foot to Diggs who makes a diving catch in the EZ for a TD. Put it in a perfect place where only Diggs could catch it with a defender in tight coverage. A throw only maybe one or two other QB's would even consider throwing.

The other was the back foot laser to Diggs against the Cards that gave them the lead late in the game in 2020 where Diggs smoked Peterson, Allen didn't even step into the throw and threw a freaking 25 yard laser to Diggs for a perfect throw to the front pylon for a TD.

But I mean honestly there are a plethora of other throws you could choose from...it's like every game 3 or 4 throws that just make you shake your head in terms of how could that throw be possible.

Yeah those were great throws. I think we just have a different definition of "long" pass.

• Like (+1) 1

Crazy throw, but what about the other bomb to Davis yesterday? How could that ball have been more perfect? Hits Davis exactly, precisely, in stride, where the safety had no chance at it, despite being draped all over Davis. And the throw was, what, 55 yards in the air?

It also happened to be not just an amazing throw, but also an amazing catch and amazing defense. How often do you see those three amazings line up? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Better thread start, @Einstein...good for you.

The thing we as Bills fans are all starting to realize is that Josh gives us a "wow" throw or two on a regular basis.  That was a great throw, but it may not even have been his best of the game.  The 2nd TD to Gabe was sick...Josh basically "out threw" the coverage and then Gabe made an amazing individual play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, finn said:

Crazy throw, but what about the other bomb to Davis yesterday? How could that ball have been more perfect? Hits Davis exactly, precisely, in stride, where the safety had no chance at it, despite being draped all over Davis. And the throw was, what, 55 yards in the air?

It also happened to be not just an amazing throw, but also an amazing catch and amazing defense. How often do you see those three amazings line up? 

I agree.  Thought this was his best throw of the game.  The first throw, yes, he has to anticipate Davis coming open, but on this one Davis never really was open and he drops the ball in perfectly.  That was an amazing throw.

44 minutes ago, finn said:

Actually watching the replay Josh threw the ball from his own 32, and Davis and Minkah get their hands on the ball at the 6, so 62 [18+44] yards in the air, with the runner and db in full stride.

the 98 yard play was "only" 48 yards in the air.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I agree.  Thought this was his best throw of the game.  The first throw, yes, he has to anticipate Davis coming open, but on this one Davis never really was open and he drops the ball in perfectly.  That was an amazing throw.

I will have to go back and look at that throw. I thought it was just a tad behind (which allowed the defender to try to fight for the ball).

Edited by Einstein

I still think Allen's best throw ever was the long TD to Robert Foster in his rookie year, against the Jags, I think.  He was under extreme pressure and fired a missile that Foster plucked out of the air perfectly, then cruised into the end zone.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

This throw was sensational. Maybe my personal favorite. It's only buried because of the hail Mary that followed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Agree. I think the Diggs TD in the Cardinals game was his best.

Heck just yesterday the second Davis TD and the Shakir post pattern around three guys may have been better throws.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.