TNF - Colts @ Broncos Game Thread

Simon

It's so fun watching this Denver coach fail. Dear lord is he horrible.

No feel for the game situation. Everyone knew he should have called three straight runs at the end of regulation and kicked the FG. Broncos would have won. 

He tries to redeem himself in overtime by calling three straight runs but that was actually the time they should have mixed in a pass or two before 4th down to try and get the win rather than settle for a tie. 

Props too Gilmore. Great game for him. Easy defensive player of the week. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's so fun watching this Denver coach fail. Dear lord is he horrible.

No feel for the game situation. Everyone knew he should have called three straight runs at the end of regulation and kicked the FG. Broncos would have won. 

He tries to redeem himself in overtime by calling three straight runs but that was actually the time they should have mixed in a pass or two before 4th down to try and get the win rather than settle for a tie. 

Props too Gilmore. Great game for him. Easy defensive player of the week. 

Agreed.  I think I hated him and Maroon more than any coaches ever.  Denver is a joke atm.  

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

I still can't believe all of the glowing takes about Denver this offseason. Not here necessarily, but a lot of media people loved them, some ranking them potentially third in the AFC. Hilarious. Russ is just not very good anymore and I thought this was becoming apparent last year.

I was certainly one of those fooled. Denver's defense has been really good still. They have that side of the ball covered. The thought was they just need good QB play to elevate the offense. I still thought Wilson was good. Now I am wondering if he was ever good at all or if Pete Carroll was just a genius in the way he used him.

Wilson was lights out to start that 2020 season and then it all fell apart in the second half. So he's not that far removed from great QB play. Even last year he played pretty well just going off of passer rating. But i guess that was all just smoke and mirrors. 

I have no idea why Denver gave him so much guaranteed money.

Living in Seahawks land and seeing their games on local TV, it was clear that while Wilson didn't have a great supporting cast in his last year there, he was also part of the problem.  He lost his elusiveness as a passer and he couldn't adapt his game to hide his age.  Adding to that, the talent around him wasn't able to pick up the slack, but that gave Russ an excuse for his performance.  The media here gave him a pass, that is until it was clear that he and the team were headed for splitsville and then it became open season on him.

I also think another problem for Wilson is that he was in a very stable organization for his entire career, with a very good head coach.  Denver is a huge change of scenery both in terms of the city as well as the team - they haven't had stability since Kubiak and Manning left and have been nothing short of a dumpster fire - a 30-51 record from 2017-2021.  Wilson has never had to deal with this kind of dysfunctional culture in his career and I suspect he's at a loss in terms of how to handle the locker room as a leader.

So my takeaway here - Denver is screwed for multiple seasons with an albatross of a contract, particularly in the AFC West where the competition is fierce.  Their only hope is that Hackett can somehow pull a rabbit of his hat and tweak the offense in such a way that it masks Wilson's flaws.

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Wilson was lights out to start that 2020 season and then it all fell apart in the second half. So he's not that far removed from great QB play. Even last year he played pretty well just going off of passer rating. But i guess that was all just smoke and mirrors. 

I think whatever it is it started pretty recently. I thought he was good years ago but something's definitely going on now. It could be as simple as losing mobility/elusiveness since that was such a huge part of his game when he was good.

When that ridiculous cringe Subway video that he did recently was trending last week I was immediately struck by how big his head looked. It looked significantly larger like he'd put on some weight.

So, I took advantage of Pause functionality in grabbing some dinner and doing some loads of laundry.  I had watched thru the 3rd Qtr when I went to put the last load in the dryer and put the prior load away.  I come back, hit Play, briefly see a picture of an orange fish like Nemo and then it takes me out and there’s a message that “The game has ended.”

I then found the Replay but when I selected it, the only option was ‘Add to Watchlist’.  It was at this point that I thought “Oh, OK football gods, I get the message.”

So, then I looked online to see that this lousy game went to OT?  Bwahaha!  Any fan at the stadium who stayed for the whole game should get a free ticket to another game.  But, of course, that would mean they would have to watch this Broncos offensive offense again.  Maybe also give them an option of free tacos from Taco Bell.

So, Amazon Prime, why have an option to watch the game at your leisure if you’re going to shut it all down when the game ends?

8 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

So, I took advantage of Pause functionality in grabbing some dinner and doing some loads of laundry.  I had watched thru the 3rd Qtr when I went to put the last load in the dryer and put the prior load away.  I come back, hit Play, briefly see a picture of an orange fish like Nemo and then it takes me out and there’s a message that “The game has ended.”

I then found the Replay but when I selected it, the only option was ‘Add to Watchlist’.  It was at this point that I thought “Oh, OK football gods, I get the message.”

So, then I looked online to see that this lousy game went to OT?  Bwahaha!  Any fan at the stadium who stayed for the whole game should get a free ticket to another game.  But, of course, that would mean they would have to watch this Broncos offensive offense again.  Maybe also give them an option of free tacos from Taco Bell.

So, Amazon Prime, why have an option to watch the game at your leisure if you’re going to shut it all down when the game ends?

Strange.  I'm able to watch it right now on prime.  It's under "national broadcast part 2"

Just now, MJS said:

So I guess he got his wish to get out of Seattle, got paid, and now he just doesn't really care anymore? Is that the issue?

That's exactly what it looks like watching him play.

That last throw was a "I've already won a SB and got paid twice....so idgaf" kind of decision.

He looks like playing QB at an elite level in the NFL isn't his top priority anymore.

1 hour ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

O-line didn't create a passing lane and he couldn't see over them?

Edit: I make the joke at Russ' expense, but it looks like he just locked onto Sutton and that was it 

Like me, he had Sutton on his fantasy team and needed the points. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Usually I don't like analysis that pretends to know what the reads were. But it looks like Hamler's route on the right is a designed pick play that worked perfectly and Russ never looked in that direction.

I've watched 3 of the Broncos games now.  This isnt all on Hacket.  Wilson has just been plain bad.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah they are stuck with him.  Its really bad.  They are screewwwwwed.  They can't get out of his contract.  So dumb to make that big of a commitment without him ever playing a game for them.  WTF were they thinking?

The bigger question is how does Russel wilson go from one of the better QBs (a play call away from a 2 time super bowl  champion) to whatever this is?

I am not saying russel was the best QB ever at any point in his career but damn he was a lot better than whatever this is.

Feelsbadman

Just read the score, and concluded I made the right decision last evening to not waste a minute trying to watch this game.

It seems to me, Thursday night football has become the NFL's worst version of itself. Yeah, the opening, and Thanksgiving Day games are must see, but after that, it's always two teams just trying to survive the cruelty of having to play two games in five days. I think its time to stop the experiment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, syhuang said:

He has been so trash this year. I'm sure part of it is Hackett and his offense. But geez, reading defenses and throwing a football is what Russ has been getting paid to do for 10+ years now. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.