Jimmy G takes pay cut, staying with Niners

YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It sure does.  Lance is very clearly a work in progress, and there are going to be days where he will look like the biggest contributor to a loss.  Fans are going to get upset.   

When you decide to go with your high draft-pick, instead of a guy who looks like a quality starter, you've got to get rid of the other guy.  These guys aren't Favre and Rodgers, but when it was time to go with Rodgers, it was time to get Favre out of town.  

When the Bills decided to go with Manuel, Fitzpatrick left town.  

Jimmy G is an interesting problem.   He's about as good as a QB can be without being a certifiable franchise QB.  He and Cousins.  Difficult to trade.  

Fans may be upset by Garoppolo is not overly popular with 49ers fans so, unless Lance is primarily to blame for them going 0-5 I don’t think there will be much call to switch the QB.

Now, in the media who, as we’ve seen, like to put as much pressure on the team as possible, it could be very different.

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Falcons, Jets, and maybe Miami, wk3+, Giants wk2+ as well. That’s the only explanation, that he likes the backup job. Billy Volek is the only other QB I can recall who favored being a backup over starter opportunities. 

How about Mitch Trubisky last season?  While he may not have been guaranteed the option to start for another team, he would have had the opportunity to earn a starting job with another team and instead elected to be a backup for the Bills.

Volek and Trubisky aside, this seems to be a decent decision for everyone involved.  Jimmy avoids being cut or ending up on a team where he doesn't want to be, still picks up a nice paycheck, has potential to start and earn more money if (and when?) Lance fails, and he's a UFA next season with full control over where he goes.  And who knows what's going on with him personally?  Maybe he likes living in the Bay Area and doesn't want to leave.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

He would have been the Seahawks or Browns opening day starter if he wanted to be!  

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Falcons, Jets, and maybe Miami, wk3+, Giants wk2+ as well. That’s the only explanation, that he likes the backup job. Billy Volek is the only other QB I can recall who favored being a backup over starter opportunities. 

Trubisky signed with the Bills in March of last year... more than 5 months earlier than Garoppolo restructured this year. Trubisky could have played the waiting game but chose to be a backup in a solid organization rather than being a starter for a crap organization. Now he's starting for the Steelers. Pretty good play by Mitch.

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That is definitely choosing the evil you know. At least he knows what he is facing in San Fran, he could have easily landed in a much worse situation, and he did not want to take that chance.  

Exactly.

Why would he go to a team after missing OTAs, training camp, and preseason?

What are his chances of success and boosting his career given those circumstances?

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It sure does.  Lance is very clearly a work in progress, and there are going to be days where he will look like the biggest contributor to a loss.  Fans are going to get upset.   

When you decide to go with your high draft-pick, instead of a guy who looks like a quality starter, you've got to get rid of the other guy.  These guys aren't Favre and Rodgers, but when it was time to go with Rodgers, it was time to get Favre out of town.  

When the Bills decided to go with Manuel, Fitzpatrick left town.  

Jimmy G is an interesting problem.   He's about as good as a QB can be without being a certifiable franchise QB.  He and Cousins.  Difficult to trade.  

In the Bay Area pundits have been trying to get rid of Jimmy for years. Media hate him and fans blame him solely for last year’s LA loss in the championship and the D blowing a 4th quarter SB lead three years back.

Niner fans are amongst the most entitled and spoiled in all of sports. It is going to be a lovely circus. I have popcorn at the ready. 🥳

Edited by Rat-boy

17 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Jimmy has seen Lance play in preseason & is thinking to himself "I'll be starting by week 3" 

This is the issue - do you accept growing pains or switch at the first time of trouble? Most sides elect the former; Josh, for example, had the fearsome competition of Peterman and Barkley, rather than someone who has Super Bowl appearances against his name, which meant he was allowed to sort through his issues and gremlins without a threat hanging over him.

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

good deal for Garoppolo. Now will be unrestricted FA QB next year w no tag possible per agreement and as soon as season ends. Taking advantage of team's interest before the draft of new QB's. This gives him more options than right now as QB's are pretty set around league.

With more than plausible chance Trey Lance struggles and Garoppolo comes in for short sample size. If it happens, he gets incentives if he gets hot and his FA value jumps more too.

His agent did good.

It makes sense to me! And it does to the 49ers too if Lance is hurt or doesn't pan out as planned.  They had to have quite the salary cap space to pay a backup that much, but what position is more important than QB?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

I can easily see them starting 3-3 and then dropping 3 straight to Chiefs, Rams, and Chargers.  Niners are staring a 3-6 start in the face.

People underestimate their roster. Their toughest games are at home. I have them going 13-4, 12-5 at worst. They own the rams, always have. Russ is gone and he was the only one that gave them fits in that division. Lance gives them an added dimension this year . They’re my super bowl pick by far for the NFC

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

This is the issue - do you accept growing pains or switch at the first time of trouble? Most sides elect the former; Josh, for example, had the fearsome competition of Peterman and Barkley, rather than someone who has Super Bowl appearances against his name, which meant he was allowed to sort through his issues and gremlins without a threat hanging over him.

The big problem I see is that SF went to the NFC championship game last year and is viewed as ready to win now.  If Lance struggles, do they act like a team with championship aspirations, or do they accept that they're in a QB rebuild and take the growing pains which might cause them to go from the NFC championship game to out of the playoffs. 

We've seen coaches bail on young QBs during the drought.  In 2005 JP got yanked for Kelly Holcomb & more recently EJ got yanked for Kyle Orton. In each case there was talk of the coach having to make the switch in order not to lose the locker room.  So, does SF have the intestinal fortitude to keep sending out a struggling  Lance, or do they go for more instant gratification with Garoppolo?  Interesting that both Mularkey & Marrone quit after the season that they pulled the young QB.   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

People underestimate their roster. Their toughest games are at home. I have them going 13-4, 12-5 at worst. They own the rams, always have. Russ is gone and he was the only one that gave them fits in that division. Lance gives them an added dimension this year . They’re my super bowl pick by far for the NFC

Indeed. They are stacked everywhere but O-line. If Lance can deal with this and they avoid major injuries, unfortunately the 49ers will be a tough out for anyone, including our heroes.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

A drew Bledsoe type trade makes so much sense here for SEA. Geno freaking Smith?!? I'm sure Garrap would sign off on a place he could start at, and if he blocks one, that confirms him being on cruise control 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

A drew Bledsoe type trade makes so much sense here for SEA. Geno freaking Smith?!? I'm sure Garrap would sign off on a place he could start at, and if he blocks one, that confirms him being on cruise control 🤷‍♂️

SEA will be terrible this year.. with or without Jimmy.. not sure he helps his next deal by going there ...

He will still be just shy of 32 when the season start next year...someone will probably take a shot at him when he is a free agent.. and pay him reasonable money

The more time Jimmy G spends away from starting, the less others will view him as a starter.

I think it's a mistake. He should have demanded to be out of there and competed for a stating spot this year.

Unless, of course, he doesn't care that much about playing.

I don't think any teams wanted to trade a fair price for Garoppolo because of his huge contract cost.  This deal actually makes it more likely that after a year, he can go find himself a starting job, or a shot at a starting job.  It's better than getting cut and having to latch on wherever he could find a job.  And getting paid only $6.5M to be a backup for a year oh boo hoo, I don't think anyone feels sorry for him.

7 hours ago, Rat-boy said:

Indeed. They are stacked everywhere but O-line. If Lance can deal with this and they avoid major injuries, unfortunately the 49ers will be a tough out for anyone, including our heroes.

If we get to the super bowl, it’s going to be us against the Niners. I don’t like that matchup either except their O line is shaky outside of Trent Williams as you mentioned. By that point, Lance will either have it figured out or Jimmy is back in and he knows how to run that offense. Chavarious Ward was a sneaky good pickup at corner for them too and he’s more than held his own against Diggs in the playoffs for the chiefs. They’re an extremely physical team, not sure I like the matchup at all for us. Long season to see how things play out though!

7 hours ago, Rat-boy said:
Edited by BeavercreekBillsFan

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, FilthyBeast said:

Smart move for both sides.

The Lance hype is ridiculous and have a feeling the 49ers also see the inevitable in terms of him struggling and not being a legit starting QB in this league.

This might be the only thing you ever got right.... congrats.

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The mentoring is going well!

I hate how everyone needs to film everything. Lance needs to take lessons from Jeter.

also, I hate the knee jerk reactions to every young qb every game. Dude didn’t play well in a monsoon and it is obvious he sucks and it was a bad trade. So dumb. Of course, we had a 100 page thread on Mahomes sucking because he had a bad training camp practice. 😃

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hate how everyone needs to film everything. Lance needs to take lessons from Jeter.

also, I hate the knee jerk reactions to every young qb every game. Dude didn’t play well in a monsoon and it is obvious he sucks and it was a bad trade. So dumb. Of course, we had a 100 page thread on Mahomes sucking because he had a bad training camp practice. 😃

that guy needs to be removed from the group of friends. Can’t trust him. No bad videos that hurt your profile. We all know they go to these places just keep it quiet.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Shanahan record in SF is 39-43.

33 of his 39 wins are with JG at QB…

Qbs wins is such a dumb stat. I’m sure the wins were all Jimmy G and not having a top 5 defense. 

Jimmy G is a game manager. He’s like Alex Smith and to a lesser extent, Tyrod. They are fine but if your goal is to win the SB, they aren’t guys who will elevate your team and carry you when your team needs it. Lance might not be the guy but it’s worth a shot because Jimmy G isn’t.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Qbs wins is such a dumb stat. I’m sure the wins were all Jimmy G and not having a top 5 defense. 

Jimmy G is a game manager. He’s like Alex Smith and to a lesser extent, Tyrod. They are fine but if your goal is to win the SB, they aren’t guys who will elevate your team and carry you when your team needs it. Lance might not be the guy but it’s worth a shot because Jimmy G isn’t.

I’m talking about coaching wins.

Offensive mastermind Kyle Shanahan can’t get the wins with his 49ers without Jimmy G as QB.   

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’m talking about coaching wins.

Offensive mastermind Kyle Shanahan can’t get the wins with his 49ers without Jimmy G as QB.   

I think Shanahan’s overrated but there is some stat that Nick Mullens has the second most passing yards in his first 16 starts in nfl history so KS is able to scheme up things decently. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.