Banged Up Bills analyzes Jameson Williams injury and recovery

YoloinOhio

Easy keys to Bills success IMO (alone):

No expensive FAs over the age of 30.

No FAs with just one great contract year of production to show you.  

No first round draftees, especially guys who rely on speed and twitch, with blown out knees, and who won't be ready to show you anything before draft day.  

No first round draftees with known chronic injuries or chronic health issues. 

No first round draftees you plan on playing out of their natural position. 

No first round draftees who have never been in shape or have a difficult time staying in football shape.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Not to mention McGahee was pretty good. Him hating Buffalo didn’t have anything to do with his knees.

McGahee was a terrible choice for a team starved of talent and the knowledge that he wouldn't play in his rookie year. TD out smarted himself.

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Willis McGahee redux.  No thanks.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

McGahee's injury was much more severe. His knee was bent backwards and he tore his ACL, PCL, and MCL.

Even considering that, he missed one season and was very productive the next season with over 1,100 yards rushing.

Ligament repair surgeries have improved a lot over the past 20 years and recovery time has been shortened.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

The Bills and Josh are so good, and so close right now...If they go WR early it's looking like there will be a few options. I don't know...I think the chances are likely 2022 will be his worst NFL Season due to the injury timeframe, Rookie, etc... The Bills would not need it to be his best season, don't get me wrong. But if they pick him at #25...with this team and what they want to do...it needs to be pretty good. It's a bit to risky for me...But I'm not McBeane...

31 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

McGahee was a terrible choice for a team starved of talent and the knowledge that he wouldn't play in his rookie year. TD out smarted himself.

Maybe TD thought McGahee was a LB.  Could have avoided the Keith Ellison, Koy Wire and John Digregorio experiments

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

What I got out of this was the following:

- He has no injury history

- It was a clean ACL tear which is about as good as you could hope for

- That he is ahead of schedule and recovering really well

- J Williams thinks he can be ready within 5 -7 months before training camp

- History says that if you try to recover to quickly before 9 months that the chances of retearing the ACL goes up by 700%

- That typically for athletes below the age of 23 (He is 20), that typically reinjure the ACL 23% of the time

- That even though J Williams thinks he will be a full go before training camp - The Bills may want to put him on the reserve list and that he returns sometime around halfway during the season

- That he is a good risk to take if you believe in the player

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My dream would be signing a vet slot guy - Barrios/Crowder/Juju  in FA or trade for Lockett and then also draft a player like this. 

Agree....sign Berrios cheap and roll the dice on Jameson @ 25. You're not obligated to play him until late this season allowing the knee to fully heel. 

• Like (+1) 1

"According to the Journal of Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy, athletes who return to sport prior to nine months following an ACL injury are at a seven-fold greater risk to suffer a future ACL tear."

If Williams is there at 25.........he is very likely the most potentially impactful player left on the board based on what the players have actually put on tape.........IMO he was the best player on the field in the Alabama v Georgia games.........which speaks volumes.

But if they take him we should be prepared for the possibility that he doesn't play in 2022.   Because even when he is ready to play he is a raw talent at the WR position and without 100% of his speed back yet he may not be better than the more refined options they may have at the position.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Magox said:

- History says that if you try to recover to quickly before 9 months that the chances of retearing the ACL goes up by 700%

- That typically for athletes below the age of 23 (He is 20), that typically reinjure the ACL 23% of the time

What the FUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE?!

Thank yo, that's a no from me. 

Magox, thank you for the Cliff notes.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

- That even though J Williams thinks he will be a full go before training camp - The Bills may want to put him on the reserve list and that he returns sometime around halfway during the season

I don’t think there is much question that the Bills would slow play it and not rush him back. So I’m not worried about the 700% if he returns early. The 77% chance of no re-tear is decent. Not great. But a lot of players tear ACL in college and never again, and vice versa.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Easy keys to Bills success IMO (alone):

No expensive FAs over the age of 30.

No FAs with just one great contract year of production to show you.  

No first round draftees, especially guys who rely on speed and twitch, with blown out knees, and who won't be ready to show you anything before draft day.  

No first round draftees with known chronic injuries or chronic health issues. 

No first round draftees you plan on playing out of their natural position. 

No first round draftees who have never been in shape or have a difficult time staying in football shape.  

Surrounding your anti Williams take with a bunch of other takes that 97% of fans would agree with… crafty

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kangaxx said:

Give me a guard in the first who can play right away. I really don't want someone who is injured.

IF, there is a guard there worth taking. We really have to see how the board falls, there are several good options at multiple positions, just depends on who it is, but we can’t be locked into a specific position.  A guard in the first has to be more than a day 1 starter, they need to be someone who could potential play center down the road. 

There are just so many good wr’s this draft, that I’d prefer to stay away from Williams. Hopefully he is selected before us, helping to push one more player down the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That was 20 years ago - ACL recovery has come a long way 

AND, the McGahee injury was much more severe. I seem to recall that 20 years before THAT they might have considered amputation! 

My son tore his ACL and MCL about 10 years ago and had surgery on June 24 (same day Tiger Woods had his ACL surgery). He played in a Thanksgiving high school basketball tournament about 5 months later. Not 100% certainly, but he was out there. What they can do now is AMAZING!

The big problem with McGahee was not the knee or the player, it was the person. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

I doubt he is available at 25 but if he is you have to consider him, he is a great player.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.