Bills interested in signing Rob Gronkowski, per Tim Graham

HappyDays

very conflicted. This signing would be a test of my fandom tbh. Would I feel right cheering gronk, a player I have despised and had been a menace to our team?

pfffft.  NO....I can hear the "but but but" chorus already........pfft part 2. blech

lol im kinda stubborn. He is on my official **** list and I dont assign that to a player lightly just sayin'

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If you don’t go with your guys who got you there, what’s the point of a team? Stacking your roster feels cheap. 

You make no sense. Whomever we bring in free agency wouldn’t be “ our guys”. It’s not like it’s the Yankees , Dodgers , or Red Sox that blow out spending every year to win. 

1 minute ago, Devilmann said:

You make no sense. Whomever we bring in free agency wouldn’t be “ our guys”. It’s not like it’s the Yankees , Dodgers , or Red Sox that blow out spending every year to win. 

We’re talking as if we didn’t have one of the best passing offenses in the league last year. Like we have this huge hole at TE. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

quite the smorgasbord of emotions assigned to this thread OP lol How about that? Not a shock expected actually.............the thought of signing him makes me wanna hurl.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

In my admittedly homerist opinion, it isn't just the talent, and coaching that has made the Bills a great team that is a favorite for the SB next season-- it's the culture that Beane, and McD have created. Character, and culture matter, especially for this Bills team. It's the way it's been built. I believe this, and I'm not sure that Gronkowsky fits the Bills' culture.

Gronk doesn’t strike me as a diva, nor as a locker room cancer. He’s just a big dumb jock with lots of talent. I think he’ll fit the culture just fine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Like we have this huge hole at TE. 

We do have a big hole at TE... NFL teams are supposed to have two capable TEs on their roster. Right now we have one. Sweeney is not a rosterable player, as a result we had 1 active TE on gamedays at the end of the year. Whether Gronk or someone else we need to find a capable TE2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BruceSlayne said:

Ask Tre how he feels about it

would not surprise me if he went with the program and  forgave and moved on. Tre White is nothing but a class act from everything Ive read or know about him.

I do think this kind of signing would be very contested even within 1bd...this best be vetted Very carefully..YEP

jmo

Edited by muppy

9 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

We’re talking as if we didn’t have one of the best passing offenses in the league last year. Like we have this huge hole at TE. 

We can always use a 2nd good TE since injuries always happen. Your not seeing the potential of having two good TE on the field at the same time. That can be a huge problem for teams not just in the passing game but for the run game as well and he does both. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I don’t see much of a downside if they could get him for right price. Yeah, he’s a big dummy but he is all business when it’s time to play. I also remember him talking fondly about Bills growing up and pretending he was Eric Moulds growing up. We are the ones that passed on him and should have drafted him in the second round that year. 

That right price will be 7M minimum. Take all the Sanders money and go get homeboy.

33 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Is it somehow better that the view will be we needed the patriots hall of fame te to win the super bowl? I want to celebrate with guys that have been here and put together not a ring chaser from our biggest rival.

I can’t believe someone actually has this viewpoint.

His “hate” for Buffalo is manufactured.  Dude is a huge doofus, doubt he really hates on us for not drafting him the way his career has gone.

As far as the Tre hit.  I guess I’d leave it up to Tre whether or not we sign him.  If he’s good, I’d probably be good with it.  

The dude can still play.  Just doubt he doesn’t follow brady to his next team which I believe would be the Niners.

I really hate the thought of this.

Is there really no other Tight End that we can sign who could help us?

If it happens then give him 1 year 3.5 million + incentives. Gronkowski is 32 and damaged goods, that's the truth. If he doesn't like it, then he can suck it.

46 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If you don’t go with your guys who got you there, what’s the point of a team? Stacking your roster feels cheap. 

I’ve seen a lot of bad takes here over the years (and your takes are usually good ones), but this might be the worst TSW take of All Time.  Not wanting to overpay for an injury-prone vet I get, and maybe folks just don’t like Gronk and yes he’s a douche.

But THIS - holy hell.  Pin this one to the Wall of Shame.  

Stacking your roster with talent to win championships “feels cheap” to you?

Incredible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I think people need to understand the version of Gronk we are pursuing. As he has gotten older one of two things happened, maybe even both. He has matured or he understands his previous persona doesn't age well. If you listen to interviews last year this was a much more refined Gronk. I would also have to think Tre and other Bills would be supportive of the move if the front office is. It's not like we have a history of spending on poor teammates.

As Bills fans we don't like him for a lot of reasons, that said does he help us win? Yes. Will he be a distraction/juvenile type player we have seen in the past? No.

Get it done  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A hell of a lot better than Sweeney and Kyle Rudolph. 😅

I understand, but all we really need is a competent back-up Tight End.

Also, we have other positions that require more attention. We should spend what little money we have on those areas.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The answer is of course no… fans would no give a ***** what Gronk did in the past if he caught a game winning pass to win the SB for the Bills

The other guy would be sulking in the corner rocking back and forth saying this doesn’t feel right. 

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I think people need to understand the version of Gronk we are pursuing. As he has gotten older one of two things happened, maybe even both. He has matured or he understands his previous persona doesn't age well. If you listen to interviews last year this was a much more refined Gronk. I would also have to think Tre and other Bills would be supportive of the move if the front office is. It's not like we have a history of spending on poor teammates.

As Bills fans we don't like him for a lot of reasons, that said does he help us win? Yes. Will he be a distraction/juvenile type player we have seen in the past? No.

Get it done  

I dont necessarily agree with all you wrote but at least it offered some insight that adds to the discussion. I think  moving forward Gronk is inclined to do what will not hinder any future endorsements or acting/media/ Hollywood type opportunities that may come down his pike. I wonder if he even wants to still play football ...*shrugs** 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Devilmann said:

So if the Bills win the Super Bowl next year and he has a good deal to do with it would you be mad at it still?

Yes, ***** him.  I hate the idea of him being part of us getting over the hump.  Same as I never wanted Brady or Hoodie here 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As many have said, it doesn’t matter what we think it only matters what the decision makers and Tre think. Gronk would be dumb to pass up the opportunity here if offered … oh wait 

He is not as dumb as you think.  He is not posting posters who do not want here will make a 180 degree turn if he is signed.  There is dumb and there is stupid.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes.  But depends on price, we got a lot of other holes and TE isn't one of them.

There is a hole in as TE but it is not big enough for his ego.

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I understand, but all we really need is a competent back-up Tight End.

Also, we have other positions that require more attention. We should spend what little money we have on those areas.

how many games has he missed in the last few seasons due to injury??

3 hours ago, mannc said:

So the guy who put up 806 receiving yards in 12 games last year (at 15 YPC) is going to back up Dawson Knox?  Don't think so...  

In an offense that had no other options. Godwin, AB both out. In the Bills offense Gronkowski is 4th option at best 

• Haha (+1) 2

He'd be a great signing.  He's a proven winner which would instill even more confidence in the team, he is a phenomenal blocker which would help out the run game, he is still a very productive receiver and having him and Knox in our 12 personnel formations would give lots of protection to Josh, improve the run game and give us a phenomenal play action ability.   Even with our 1 TE formations, they could rotate and keep each other fresh.

Sign me up all day.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.