Bills LB coach Bob Babich retiring

YoloinOhio

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just don't interview Brian Flores for the position. If you hire someone else there's a good chance you end up on Judge Judy.

Sounds like we will end up needing a safeties coach. Which made me conjure up memories of Ed reed coaching in Buffalo under Rex that one year. Seems like it didn’t actually happen. 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just a note that Babich is not that old by coaching standards.  He's 60, which is 2-3 years younger than Leslie Frazier

He's one of the original coaches that McDermott hired in 2017

He was a defensive coordinator with the Bears from 2007-2009 under Ron Rivera, which may be his connection to McDermott

It's not impossible that Heath Farwell's lateral move to the Jaguars and now Babich retiring may be indications of where McD perceives responsibility for 13 seconds and "execution" to lie.  It would be a typical "McDermott" move to suggest to coaches they don't wish to retain, that they "explore other opportunities" and give them some time to do so vs. firing them (that's what Reid did with McDermott when he fired him as DC)

On the other hand, moving his son to LB coach doesn't necessarily fit with that idea

Bobby Babich has more ties to McD in that he coached under him as a defensive assistant for 2 years in Carolina

He's spent 4 years as Safeties coach - it's possible that he wanted to broaden his experience, and his dad retired to give him an opening

https://theathletic.com/807732/2019/02/08/the-father-and-son-behind-the-bills-defense-how-bob-and-bobby-babichs-coaching-paths-converged-in-buffalo/

• Like (+1) 1

Enjoy your retirement Bob, and thanks for bringing Jordan Poyer to Buffalo!

edit: oops, I take that thanks back. It was your son Bobby Babich that told McDermott about Jordan poyer… lol

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/familiarity-with-poyer-landed-bills-a-free-agent-steal-19408157

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just don't interview Brian Flores for the position. If you hire someone else there's a good chance you end up on Judge Judy.

Hand over the 'finder's fee'. 🤨

😁

47 minutes ago, DJB said:

This gives me hope for Edmunds 

21 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Nothing gives me hope for Edmunds...😉

As an LB coach?

See if that Edwards guy will consider the job.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
a LB coach? an LB coach? 🤔

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note that Babich is not that old by coaching standards

He's 60, which is 2-3 years younger than Leslie Frazier

He was a defensive coordinator with the Bears from 2007-2009 under Ron Rivera, which may be his connection to McDermott

It's not impossible that Heath Farwell's lateral move to the Jaguars and now Babich retiring may be indications of where McD perceives responsibility for 13 seconds and "execution" to lie.  It would be a typical "McDermott" move to suggest to coaches they don't wish to retain, that they "explore other opportunities" and give them some time to do so vs. firing them (that's what Reid did with McDermott when he fired him as DC)

On the other hand, moving his son to LB coach doesn't necessarily fit with that idea

That is where I am at as well. Stranger things have happened. I was hoping that maybe replacing Babich could really help Edmunds....maybe? But hard to imagine if his replacement is in house AND his son. I find that hard to believe. 

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note that Babich is not that old by coaching standards

He's 60, which is 2-3 years younger than Leslie Frazier

Well Junior is young(er) and has a good amount of coaching life ahead of him.  Dad retires figuring he doesn't have it anymore and junior takes his place with dad's blessing.

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

That is where I am at as well. Stranger things have happened. I was hoping that maybe replacing Babich could really help Edmunds....maybe? But hard to imagine if his replacement is in house AND his son. I find that hard to believe. 

Can anyone really help Edumnds?  He's just not a MLB.

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note that Babich is not that old by coaching standards.  He's 60, which is 2-3 years younger than Leslie Frazier

Bobby Babich has more ties to McD in that he coached under him as a defensive assistant for 2 years in Carolina

He's spent 4 years as Safeties coach - it's possible that he wanted to broaden his experience, and his dad retired to give him an opening

https://theathletic.com/807732/2019/02/08/the-father-and-son-behind-the-bills-defense-how-bob-and-bobby-babichs-coaching-paths-converged-in-buffalo/

If McD is cleaning house by letting these coaches go "to explore other opportunities" over the 13 seconds than that's pretty alarming.  As a DC by training, if he can't, after 2 TO's, figure out what Defense is appropriate in that scenario, then these issues with his decision making will never go away.  Position coaches didn't screw that up...

• Like (+1) 1

Can we just find a way to get Frazier out? Go get a guy with a few new ideas and see if we can’t be even better on defense? I know the stats showed we were great but that was misleading. We have elite talent on that side of the ball IMO. I think the scheme is actually holding us back. I think a more aggressive DC could turn this group of players into an all time dominant defense. We are going through a lot of house cleaning here with the coaching staff…just go all the way and get Frazier out.

• Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, wppete said:

Wow that was a surprise. Huge loss for the Bills. A lot of change on the coaching staff and that worries me. 

Wonder if he was holding out for promotion to DC (under assumption Frazier would be moving elsewhere).  With Frazier still here, maybe he's just had enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The defensive concepts/approach is McDermott's, not Frazier's, so if Frazier leaves the defense really will not change that much. 

When the head coach is a defensive coach it is important/critical that:

• He and the DC are in alignment on scheme/concepts/approach
  • The assistant coaches are excellent teachers (this is true in general), they need to know how to teach the schemes/concepts

The continuity on the Bills' staff over the past 3-4 years is extremely rare so this assistant churn is normal. They have a good track record of finding assistants and being on the BIlls' coaching staff right now is very attractive. They will find good assistants. Exhibit A for that is the OL coach.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If McD is cleaning house by letting these coaches go "to explore other opportunities" over the 13 seconds than that's pretty alarming.  As a DC by training, if he can't, after 2 TO's, figure out what Defense is appropriate in that scenario, then these issues with his decision making will never go away.  Position coaches didn't screw that up...

Maybe they did.

McDermott put blame on "execution" for the end of the game.  If he determined that the execution problem was actually Bass not getting the call to squib the kick because Farwell didn't prepare his lines of communication properly, that's on him.  If the linebackers were supposed to have different roles or be somewhere else in the play that was actually called, and after looking into it, it's partly or all due to prep during the week, that could be on the LB assistant coach.

I'm not saying it is - I don't know that it is.

On the other hand, you don't know that it isn't, either, and you're saying it isn't.

Ya know this is interesting for sure. All of our LBs could be wildly inconsistent at times. Edmunds struggles are well documented but Milano still has plenty of ‘dude, what are you doing?’ moments. Fact baby Babs is moving from Safeties to LB makes you wonder if we may see the overall coverage of our backers improve (Milano is already an elite coverage LB).

38 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ya know this is interesting for sure. All of our LBs could be wildly inconsistent at times. Edmunds struggles are well documented but Milano still has plenty of ‘dude, what are you doing?’ moments. Fact baby Babs is moving from Safeties to LB makes you wonder if we may see the overall coverage of our backers improve (Milano is already an elite coverage LB).

The dude what are you doing moment to me in the afc divisional was waking away from Kelce before he caught the ball to put them in FG ran range.  Maybe he did as he was told.  I don’t know.  But it was weird. 

Edited by SectionC3

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott chasing another away.

Yup, that McDermott is a bad man…, but young Bobby seams to like him… 😁👍

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Wow that was a surprise. Huge loss for the Bills. A lot of change on the coaching staff and that worries me. 

It shouldn’t

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Can we just find a way to get Frazier out? Go get a guy with a few new ideas and see if we can’t be even better on defense? I know the stats showed we were great but that was misleading. We have elite talent on that side of the ball IMO. I think the scheme is actually holding us back. I think a more aggressive DC could turn this group of players into an all time dominant defense. We are going through a lot of house cleaning here with the coaching staff…just go all the way and get Frazier out.

More aggressive in what way?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.