Giants/Schoen interview Daboll for HC

Hapless Bills Fan

45 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I really think it’s time for Daboll to move forward. For some reason i just don’t like any distractions the week of the biggest game of the year. 

Honestly, if he gets passed over this year I think his star will start to fade a bit. Hard to justify bringing in a guy that was passed over by someone that he worked for (Schoen) if the Giants go in another direction.

If I'm the GM of another team I'd seriously have to ask "Why, what does Schoen know working firsthand with him that I don't?"

Now, for this cycle if I'm the GM of a team that wants him...I'd would have to figure Schoen has an upper hand and if I don't move aggressively I would lose him. I would figure the Tuesday or Wednesday after the final Bills gameof the year (whenever that may be) he gets an offer or 2.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Timing of this crap is really lame IMO while in mid playoff run.

I'm happy for these guys overall, just not a fan of the when is all. 

Eh - I feel they probably have been talking about it before Schoen was officially hired...

Like hey, If I get this job for the NYG, then I would love to bring you in as HC...   

So my point is, the stress/time invested would be less for Daboll and everyone if it was already agreed upon which means less of a distraction... mainly because the players/coaches EXPECT Daboll and or Frazier to go else where.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Good. Now get yer ass back in the playbook!! 

Happy for him. 

Now, now, he needs to make time for the little old lady who wandered off from the gift shop and stopped in to talk about what jersey she should buy for her grandson. Maybe poll the staff on who they would take, and wonder if she’s better off waiting until next season. Oh, what kind of coffee is that? That is wonderful! Is that from Costco? I love Costco! I hate the lines for gas, though. It’s so much cheaper for gas, but the lines can be really long. I don’t mind so much, because I listen to books on tape which really kills the time for me. 

Ohh. It’s time for Yoda to go home from work? Can I follow you? 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Honestly, if he gets passed over this year I think his star will start to fade a bit. Hard to justify bringing in a guy that was passed over by someone that he worked for (Schoen) if the Giants go in another direction.

If I'm the GM of another team I'd seriously have to ask "Why, what does Schoen know working firsthand with him that I don't?"

Now, for this cycle if I'm the GM of a team that wants him...I'd would have to figure Schoen has an upper hand and if I don't move aggressively I would lose him. I would figure the Tuesday or Wednesday after the final Bills gameof the year (whenever that may be) he gets an offer or 2.

No slam dunk for Daboll as Schoen has to get the approval of Mara and Tisch too. Mara was touting Flores earlier this week and saying his hiring of a GM would not automatically be a package GM/HC deal. Best of luck to Daboll, he deserves a shot at HC.

• Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why do people act like the coaches are preparing for the Chiefs 24/7? Do we really think they have absolutely NO time to fit in a video interview? The "distraction" complaint is way overblown.

If you know how to prepare yourself to interview properly for a high figure jobs it take a lot of time actually. For some it creates stress and is an actual distraction as well leading up to it for several days. These guys are not walking into a local McDonalds to make multi millions, they are changing their families entire life with a significant change and move. 

I hope most the prep work was done in the prior offseason if smart. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I knew this was coming 

how many player swaps like we saw with Carolina?

Once the GM slot was filled that is

It depends on how many fringe FA we have that they will want to build around....

McKenzie,  Wallace,  Obada,  Addison, Hughes

Very curious about the relationship and dynamics between Schoen and Daboll (or Frazier). Schoen is green, and these guys are veteran coaches. Wonder if there is some concern re his authority as a new GM being undermined given this dynamic. I can see the pros of going with a guy you know, but there could be some cons. Seen a lot of GM/HC power struggles over the years. 

51 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why do people act like the coaches are preparing for the Chiefs 24/7? Do we really think they have absolutely NO time to fit in a video interview? The "distraction" complaint is way overblown.

During the season, there is always talk about coaches sleeping in their offices.  It is not a 9 to 5 job.  You would think they’d spend even more time preparing for a playoff game in Kansas City.  Preparing for and taking part in an interview DOES take away valuable time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

If you know how to prepare yourself to interview properly for a high figure jobs it take a lot of time actually. For some it creates stress and is an actual distraction as well leading up to it for several days. These guys are not walking into a local McDonalds to make multi millions, they are changing their families entire life with a significant change and move. 

I hope most the prep work was done in the prior offseason if smart. 

So you think they're preparing for every game 24/7 and had no extra time devoted to interview prep? Or family discussions? It was 24/7/365 game prep?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

All i know is that Daboll and Leslie interviewed for jobs leading up to the Pats game.  What happened? they basically had a perfect game last Sat night.  So go ahead and repeat for this weekend with the interviews.  i’m good with that! 👍

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

During the season, there is always talk about coaches sleeping in their offices.  It is not a 9 to 5 job.  You would think they’d spend even more time preparing for a playoff game in Kansas City.  Preparing for and taking part in an interview DOES take away valuable time.

Overpreparation and dramitization are definitely a thing. I'll give you that. 

I mean, these guys were preparing for interviews that took place the day after the Pats game, but they somehow managed to whoop the Pats up and down the field. I think it has little to no effect.

24 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Jones had an 80 yard run last season.  He didn’t score as he got tripped by a yard line.

Jones is a good athlete, can run like the wind. But he simply can’t make the throws Allen makes and force teams to have to defend the entire field on a routine basis. I think we are at the point where we take that for granted because Allen does it every game and makes it look so easy and it just isn’t. There are literally just a few guys on the planet like that and Jones just isn’t one of them. 

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

So you think they're preparing for every game 24/7 and had no extra time devoted to interview prep? Or family discussions? It was 24/7/365 game prep?

During the playoffs for a few weeks, I'm sure they are popping in like 16+ hr days. Again, if these coordinators were smart I hope most their prep came in the prior lengthy off season. It seemed not to matter last week but KC is nothing like the Pats.

I don't know how you think the possibility of moving, changing job titles leading a full NFL team and making 4X+ your annual salary is not a distraction or stressful during our pivotal playoff run is "overblown"?

Add:

Again, I'm happy for these guys. The NFL and these scrub teams need to leave our staff alone until eliminated is all I'm trying to say. It's so F'ing dumb on many levels when next season is months away when we are still in the thick of it. 

I'm pretty sure the Bills popped in a request last year to stop this is a well but were denied. It's a concern for multiple reason at OBD as well. 

https://theathletic.com/news/bills-propose-rule-change-to-coaching-and-front-office-hiring-process-source/Dg4IM6yWeD3G/

Edited by Real McNasty

36 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

During the playoffs for a few weeks, I'm sure they are popping in like 16+ hr days. Again, if these coordinators were smart I hope most their prep came in the prior lengthy off season. It seemed not to matter last week but KC is nothing like the Pats.

I don't know how you think the possibility of moving, changing job titles leading a full NFL team and making 4X+ your annual salary is not a distraction or stressful during our pivotal playoff run is "overblown"?

Add:

Again, I'm happy for these guys. The NFL and these scrub teams need to leave our staff alone until eliminated is all I'm trying to say. It's so F'ing dumb on many levels when next season is months away when we are still in the thick of it. 

I'm pretty sure the Bills popped in a request last year to stop this is a well but were denied. It's a concern for multiple reason at OBD as well. 

https://theathletic.com/news/bills-propose-rule-change-to-coaching-and-front-office-hiring-process-source/Dg4IM6yWeD3G/

That rule change proposal is all about fairness in regards to those openings closing up before the playoffs are done. Clearly by McD's quotes in that article, the team and the game come first. If these guys couldn't handle it, then they wouldn't do the interview, plain and simple.

And sidebar: if a team can't wait for a solid candidate, then they're not interested enough in the first place and probably not worth it. That's like Texans-level inadequacy.

And side-sidebar: if you're an assistant coach aspiring to be a head coach, you've already had talks with your family and they're all bought in to certain openings. That or you're inputting an opt-out clause à la Doug Marrone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Jones is a good athlete, can run like the wind. But he simply can’t make the throws Allen makes and force teams to have to defend the entire field on a routine basis. I think we are at the point where we take that for granted because Allen does it every game and makes it look so easy and it just isn’t. There are literally just a few guys on the planet like that and Jones just isn’t one of them. 

Did we think Allen was going to be this good after his first 2 years?  I know I didn’t.  

I’m convinced that the main reason Allen became the player he is, is due to his work ethic.  He credits Jordan Palmer with being a big help but supposedly Darnold is there with him in the off-season and we haven’t seen the same growth with Darnold.  I’m not saying Daboll and Dorsey haven’t helped but it seems to come down to Josh taking in all the input he gets, applying it and making himself a better player.

Word has been that Carson Wentz tends to not apply suggestions to his game, and even when he does, he eventually regresses back to bad habits.

So, at the same time that Josh has made himself a great player, other young QBs like Goff, Trubisky, Wentz, Darnold , Jones , Mayfield have either not improved much or have regressed.  

7 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Timing of this crap is really lame IMO while in mid playoff run.

I'm happy for these guys overall, just not a fan of the when is all. 

Why be happy for them overall?

I cheer for the Buffalo Bills, not Brian Daboll.  

I'm much more concerned with Bills coaching continuity than his personal coaching career.

I guess if you are one of the Daboll haters who come out in every game thread, you're happy to see him go....

And I agree, interviewing should not be allowed until the end of the season---for anyone, to keep it fair.

Teams can wait another couple weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.