Giants/Schoen interview Daboll for HC

Hapless Bills Fan

I wish Daboll the best of luck. He has done his best for the Bills and he was instrumental in Allen's development.  I don't think there is any more he can do to help Allen going forward and in fact may now be holding Allen back.  I would love to see what a creative young OC could do with Allen. I would be all for a Kellon Moore up in the booth.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Link?

It was in his presser--heard it on the FAN (awful network, btw) replay on way to the gym this afternoon.  He was asked if QB should have a say in the selection of coaches (hey Mr. Watson!) and he said if Daboll goes, "there's one guy in the organization I am very partial to" replace him, or something to that effect.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was in his presser--heard it on the FAN (awful network, btw) replay on way to the gym this afternoon.  He was asked if QB should have a say in the selection of coaches (hey Mr. Watson!) and he said if Daboll goes, "there's one guy in the organization I am very partial to" replace him, or something to that effect.  

Found a link: https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-ken-dorsey-offensive-coordinator/

And while he never actually said Dorsey's name, yup, it's gotta be him.

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Found a link: https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-ken-dorsey-offensive-coordinator/

And while he never actually said Dorsey's name, yup, it's gotta be him.

Question. I am still reading that Daboll is bringing Dorsey. I know the Bills can’t block it. But if Dorsey were to leave, it would be his own decision, correct? He would effectively be turning down the Bills OC job then, right? 

I am ready to move on from Daboll.  Too inconsistent in how he calls games.  Like the first half I was cursing at him constantly.  

What he has done here and with Allen has been great, but for us to take the next step, I think we need a change at OC and DC personally.  Frazier needs to go, he lacks situational awareness in how he calls game and is poor at adjusting in game.  

Both have to be commended for what they have done to get us here, but I think we need to evolve now and take a further step and some new blood at the two key coordinator positions I think are whats best for us.  

Also...I still hope we replace Bobby Johnson too.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

We will see very quickly if Josh made Daboll or if Daboll made Josh.  

I don’t know if anybody made anybody. But they did at least grow together. For every 1% that Allen is good, it doesn’t make Daboll 1% bad. It’s not a pie. 

Just now, Mango said:

Question. I am still reading that Daboll is bringing Dorsey. I know the Bills can’t block it. But if Dorsey were to leave, it would be his own decision, correct? He would effectively be turning down the Bills OC job then, right? 

Well assuming Daboll gets the job and then both Daboll and McD offer him the OC position, it will come down who he chooses to go with.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I don’t know if anybody made anybody. But they did at least grow together. For every 1% that Allen is good, it doesn’t make Daboll 1% bad. It’s not a pie. 

Maybe thats true.  But if I am making a pie and someone hands me dog crap and road salt as the ingredients, my pie probably tastes like crap and poison.   

What I was getting at is Daboll is more than likely going from having delish ingredients to a dog crap and road salt pie.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well assuming Daboll gets the job and then both Daboll and McD offer him the OC position, it will come down who he chooses to go with.

I would hope the franchise has an internal contingency plan. If Allen is preferring Dorsey, I would hope they have had the conversation with him already and they do t over think it. 

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am ready to move on from Daboll.  Too inconsistent in how he calls games.  Like the first half I was cursing at him constantly.  

What he has done here and with Allen has been great, but for us to take the next step, I think we need a change at OC and DC personally.  Frazier needs to go, he lacks situational awareness in how he calls game and is poor at adjusting in game.  

Both have to be commended for what they have done to get us here, but I think we need to evolve now and take a further step and some new blood at the two key coordinator positions I think are whats best for us.  

Also...I still hope we replace Bobby Johnson too.  

Youth movement is taking over as the new leaders of this team.   Would be a great time to bring in two new coordinators.  

Dorsey as OC is fine by me.  Allen wants it, I’m good with it.  

We need new energy in house though.. new ideas and new people in McDermott’s ear, specifically on the defensive side of the ball.  

You don’t beat teams like BUF or KC by playing bend don’t break… we need more risk taking and aggressiveness.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It makes too much sense not to happen.  Bring in a coach from your old team who you know well and who had amazing success developing a raw QB, and hope he can do the same with the QB on your new team and salvage him.

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

We will see very quickly if Josh made Daboll or if Daboll made Josh.  

Josh made Josh.  And in turn made Daboll.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Got a link?  I'm not sure why Dorsey would choose the Giant's OC job over the Bills'. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

It makes too much sense not to happen.  Bring in a coach from your old team who you know well and who had amazing success developing a raw QB, and hope he can do the same with the QB on your new team and salvage him.

Got a link?  I'm not sure why Dorsey would choose the Giant's OC job over the Bills'. 

Sorry, my bad. Just one guy, Cam Marino from rotoworld. He doubles back and says Dorsey his Dabolls first choice, but the Bills love Dorsey too. Expectation is Dorsey is calling plays for Allen and Co. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Sorry, my bad. Just one guy, Cam Marino from rotoworld. He doubles back and says Dorsey his Dabolls first choice, but the Bills love Dorsey too. Expectation is Dorsey is calling plays for Allen and Co. 

Yeah, no surprise Daboll would want to take Dorsey with him.  But that's why the Bills promoted Dorsey last off-season, and he'll get to work with the best QB in the league, which will fast-track him to a HC'ing gig more assuredly than trying to fix the unfixable Daniel Jones, much less some yet-to-be-named QB.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Fire McDermott and keep Daboll.

Not yet.  McD gets a few more seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not yet.  McD gets a few more seasons.

I know I keep pounding this drum, but people are wild to ask for the Pegula’s to fire either part of McBean for any reason other than a million bad seasons in a row.

That’s without even talking about the fact that in back to back years the Bills were in the AFCCG then played what a lot of people are calling the greatest football game of all time against the very best team in the league. We just witnessed Ali v. Frazier. 

The Pegula’s are working their way into the Mount Rushmore of worst owners in NHL history. The Sabres are historically bad under Terry and Kim. And people want to can the HC and let them start over? 

I would rather sign a 10 year deal with Jeff Fisher than let the Pegula’s try to rebuild the Bills. That’s not hyperbole. 

Edited by Mango
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I know I keep pounding this drum, but people are wild to ask for the Pegula’s to fire either part of McBean for any reason other than a million bad seasons in a row.

That’s without even talking about the fact that I’m back to back years the Bills were in the AFCCG then played what to a of people are calling the greatest football game of all time against the very best team in the league. We just witnessed Ali v. Frazier. 

The Pegula’s are working their way into the Mount Rushmore of worst owners in NHL history. The Sabres are historically bad under Terry and Kim. And people want to can the HC and let them start over? 

I would rather sign a 10 year deal with Jeff Fisher than let the Pegula’s try to rebuild the Bills. That’s not hyperbole. 

This is where I disagree with you.  With Josh, there's no rebuilding.  The Bills finally got the hardest piece of the puzzle right and he won't fall apart if McD goes.

But how many years do you give McD if they can't make, much less win, the SB?  It's great that he brought respectability back to the team, but that's mostly because of Josh now.  Are you willing to keep McD and never make, much less win, the SB until he's ready to retire just because of what he did in the past?

Look, I want McD to win a SB and stay with the Bills a long time.  But if that doesn't happen in the next few years, changes need to be made.  You can't be worried about the Pegulas not being able to find a good replacement, and IMHO good replacements will be clamoring to coach Josh.

Edited by Doc

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

Josh is going to get many people promotions and new gigs, much like how brady got jobs for mcdaniels, weiss, o'brien, pioli, etc

Dorsey would be an IDIOT to pick the giants over the bills for the aforementioned reason. but i do hope chad hall stays because he obviously has great rapport with the receivers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Josh is going to get many people promotions and new gigs, much like how brady got jobs for mcdaniels, weiss, o'brien, pioli, etc

Dorsey would be an IDIOT to pick the giants over the bills for the aforementioned reason. but i do hope chad hall stays because he obviously has great rapport with the receivers

I think Daboll will try to take either Hall or Tierney.  He can only make one of them OC.  Hopefully it's Tierney.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He has had Bills inside info in the past.

No mention of Dorsey, which I like. Shoen scheduled a presser for Wednesday late morning. I assumed this would be getting done shortly. 

Hoping we keep some continuity with Dorsey staying in house. 

Just now, Mango said:

No mention of Dorsey, which I like. Shoen scheduled a presser for Wednesday late morning. I assumed this would be getting done shortly. 

Hoping we keep some continuity with Dorsey staying in house. 

Meh. I hope we at least have external interviews. Treat the OC hire like it's a HC hire. We have the best QB in the league with a defensive head coach that will cede control of the offense. We should have no shortage of extremely qualified and experienced candidates. Dorsey isn't that.

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Meh. I hope we at least have external interviews. Treat the OC hire like it's a HC hire. We have the best QB in the league with a defensive head coach that will cede control of the offense. We should have no shortage of extremely qualified and experienced candidates. Dorsey isn't that.

Dorsey is a really hot name outside Buffalo, already.   This wouldn’t be a bad move. 

Frazier needs to go, and we really need some new blood on that side of the ball, but Dorsey is either our OC, or somebody else’s.  

If he goes with Daboll, it’s because we let him.   That would get interesting. 

Edited by SCBills

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Dorsey is a really hot name outside Buffalo, already.   This wouldn’t be a bad move. 

Frazier needs to go, and we really need some new blood on that side of the ball, but Dorsey is either our OC, or somebody else’s.  

Doug Pederson???

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doug Pederson???

He has been my #1 choice since last offseason when we thought Daboll would get hired away. That's the caliber of play caller we should be striving for, and we know he can get the most out of a QB like Josh Allen. It makes sense for Pederson too, if he wants to get another shot at HC at some point coaching this offense is a nice easy stepping stone.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Why would Dorsey go to be OC for Daniel Jones and a terrible offense when he could be OC for the Bills and Josh Allen? 

Unless he isn't being offered the job here.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Let's see, I'm Dorsey and I have a choice to set the tone for my first OC job. I get to coach Josh Allen and the Bills offense that just set records in the playoffs... Or I get to try to fix Daniel Jones... Hmm...

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.