This should have been Mitch Trubisky time

buffaloboyinATL

I kind of feel bad for him. This is why I think he came to the Bills. If we had won a couple of the games that most of us think we could have, he would be starting, or at least playing, tomorrow.

I think he came here to showcase how he could run a  high powered Offense like Buffalo’s and this could have been his chance. (Like what Minshew is doing right now with the Eagles)

in the long run, I don’t really care as long as we keep winning, but it would have been nice for him. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I kind of feel bad for him. This is why I think he came to the Bills. If we had won a couple of the games that most of us think we could have, he would be starting, or at least playing, tomorrow.

I think he came here to showcase how he could run a  high powered Offense like Buffalo’s and this could have been his chance. (Like what Minshew is doing right now with the Eagles)

in the long run, I don’t really care as long as we keep winning, but it would have been nice for him. 

I know what you mean but there was no guarantee that Mitch would see action.The Bills wanted to sign him as an insurance policy and still might need him if worst comes to worst.  

Also not sure how much he anticipated playing.  There have been many dominate offenses and we’ve rarely seen the backup QB get substantive reps.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lol who cares about Trubisky. I would want my team playing week 18 even if we had the one seed. The Bills have usually played pretty mediocre coming off a bye. I could only imagine how rusty they’d look not playing in week 18 then also getting a bye and not play for 2 weeks

He came to be apart of a successful organization and wash the stink of Chicago off. There are situations in elite sport where no credit is better for your career than bad credit. 

If he got to play, that’s just gravy. But nobody goes to backup Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, etc. with a real expectation of playing. And most certainly they don’t feel jilted if they don’t see much live action. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It should have been Trubisky time every time we sent Josh out to kneel down in victory formation. That way, those rushing yards wouldn’t have been deducted from Allen’s totals. 

“Get in there, Mitch. And don’t screw it up!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It should have been Trubisky time every time we sent Josh out to kneel down in victory formation. That way, those rushing yards wouldn’t have been deducted from Allen’s totals. 

Playing For Pizza by John Grisham. It’s a great read, and that made it come to mind. 

• Agree 2

I'll tell you why I believe Mitch signed here. He saw this staff do a great job developing Allen, and offensive system that is very QB friendly, and a starting QB with a style of play that is perceived as higher risk for injury. He wanted to take a year to refocus.

But ultimately, here's the main play... him and his agent know Dabol is a hot Head Coach candidate last year and marked as a guy to get a job soon. So what he does is get in here on a 1 year deal, learn the system alongside Dabol, then when Dabol gets an expected HC gig next year,  Mitch goes with him as his QB. That's the play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I actually have yelled that at my TV many times ha ha

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

I figured he came here in hopes Dabol would get a HC job, then jump on with him and have familiarity in the offense. 

42 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

But ultimately, here's the main play... him and his agent know Dabol is a hot Head Coach candidate last year and marked as a guy to get a job soon. So what he does is get in here on a 1 year deal, learn the system alongside Dabol, then when Dabol gets an expected HC gig next year,  Mitch goes with him as his QB. That's the play. 

I never really thought of that but it makes a ton of sense. Daboll would be likely to want to bring in a QB who is familiar with his system.  Good call. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I'll tell you why I believe Mitch signed here. He saw this staff do a great job developing Allen, and offensive system that is very QB friendly, and a starting QB with a style of play that is perceived as higher risk for injury. He wanted to take a year to refocus.

I'm not sure there are many teams out there that will be looking for both a new coach and a new QB, especially one that didn't really play this season.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

There, there, Mrs. Trubisky, it will be ok. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Backup QB is the best job in the NFL. You still get paid millions. You don't get beat up. When you do have to play there are really low expectations. If you do a decent job you can have a long career.

I get it, players want to play, but if you aren't good enough to be a starter you might as well get paid a bunch of money to sit on the bench.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Score 50 in the 1st half tomorrow then he can play. Problem solved

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don't think he did any of that...

After paying my life insurance premiums for many years, I still haven't used that policy.  

The thing about insurance is you really don't want to have to use it or need it.  

In my opinion having Trubisky in place in case Josh got hurt was one of the best investments McBeane made this year.  And, if things don't work out for Trubisky to land a starting job somewhere else, I think both he and the Bills would be pleased to do the whole thing again.  I don't expect that since there are so many teams desperate for a QB upgrade, and MT will look very promising compared to the guy they have now.  But if it happens, it will be fine with me.

13 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He came to the Bills for a chance to play in a potential meaningless week 18 game?  Got ya 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He came to the Bill for a chance to play in a potential meaningless week 18 game?  Got ya 

While that isn't the sole reason he came as such I do think he would have come here expecting that the chances are we would be up big in a few games and he'd get a bit of a shot to play. He has got out there a couple of times too. But they have tended to just call runs when he has. He will definitely be hoping the Bills are far enough ahead to pull Josh at the half today like they did last year when Barkley got the chance to play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

I'm not sure there are many teams out there that will be looking for both a new coach and a new QB, especially one that didn't really play this season.

Many fired coaches are fired because they don't have the guy at QB. Many new coaches on bad teams also have a QB change.  

It won't preclude Dabol from also drafting a QB. And even if they have a young one it's good to have a vet that knows the system in the room. 

And it's not a given it will work out like that, if Dabol goes to the Jags Mitch will probably go elsewhere.  But it's a good opportunity if it works out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Last time the Bills started a backup QB the final week to rest for the post season he had a great game vs the other team's backups... the owner pulled rank, the head coach cowered, and we started a backup vs the Titans who played absolutely abysmal losing a game we should have easily won. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We needed to win more than a couple of games for this week to not matter.  Chiefs are 13-4 and Titans could be too.  

12-5 but who is counting.  

50 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Last time the Bills started a backup QB the final week to rest for the post season he had a great game vs the other team's backups... the owner pulled rank, the head coach cowered, and we started a backup vs the Titans who played absolutely abysmal losing a game we should have easily won. 

Didn't the Colts have something to play for in that game like a top seed or something?  Not sure it was against backups.  

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Best solution is another 2.5 mil for next year when he will get his chance. 

I doubt he is back in Buffalo for that coin for another year of sitting on the bench behind Allen…

He needs to move on somewhere to get on the field more regularly …also think someone will pay him Tyrod Taylor type money at the least .., $5-6 Mil per year ..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.