Ravens QB situation

saundena

The Ravens have to make a decision on whether or not to pay Lamar.  He's obviously a very good player, limited in some respects- yes; but also talented enough to take over a game.  But do you give him what could be the biggest contract in league history knowing that he's a big injury and his running skills will deteriorate over time?

From what I've seen from Tyler Huntley, there doesn't seem to be a big drop off between him and Lamar.   I wonder if he can get even better with more time and reps.

I wonder if anybody in their front office thinks that the smart play might be to let Lamar walk if he asks for too much and hitch their wagon to Huntley instead.  They have very similar play styles and with how accommodating Greg Roman is, I think they'd be fine

Edited by saundena
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, saundena said:

The Ravens have to make a decision on whether or not to pay Lamar.  He's obviously a very good player, limited in some respects- yes: but also talented enough to take over a game.  But do you give him what could be the biggest contract in league history knowing that he's a big injury and his running skills will deteriorate over time?

From what I've seen from Tyler Huntley, there doesn't seem to be a big drop off between him and Lamar.   I wonder if he can get even better with more time and reps.

I wonder if anybody in their front office thinks that the smart play might be to let Lamar walk if he asks for too much and hitch their wagon to Huntley instead.  

Huntley is not the physical specimen that Lamar is. Lamar is special, although limited. If you are going to hitch your wagon to a an extremely talented and athletic limited QB, pick the most talented one.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, saundena said:

The Ravens have to make a decision on whether or not to pay Lamar.  He's obviously a very good player, limited in some respects- yes: but also talented enough to take over a game.  But do you give him what could be the biggest contract in league history knowing that he's a big injury and his running skills will deteriorate over time?

I wonder if anybody in their front office thinks that the smart play might be to let Lamar walk if he asks for too much and hitch their wagon to Huntley instead.  

Huntley might be a better passer than Lamar but Lamar is a much better runner… 

Pretty sure they re-sign Lamar but I wouldn’t be shocked to see them try to trade Huntley for a mid-round draft pick 

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Huntley might be a better passer than Lamar but Lamar is a much better runner… 

Pretty sure they re-sign Lamar but I wouldn’t be shocked to see them try to trade Huntley for a mid-round draft pick 

Why would they trade Huntley? If he’s a good, cheap back up isn’t that worth more than 5th round pick? 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, saundena said:

The Ravens have to make a decision on whether or not to pay Lamar.  He's obviously a very good player, limited in some respects- yes; but also talented enough to take over a game.  But do you give him what could be the biggest contract in league history knowing that he's a big injury and his running skills will deteriorate over time?

I wonder if anybody in their front office thinks that the smart play might be to let Lamar walk if he asks for too much and hitch their wagon to Huntley instead.  They have very similar play styles and with how accommodating Greg Roman is, I think they'd be fine

whats weird about Lamar is how sick the dude gets. He has had COVID like 4 times and then non-COVID illnesses a bunch more. They really need to get him some vitamins! 

• Haha (+1) 4

All this after...

1. Lamar is a proven/past MVP

2. Huntley has made 1 start, and 1-2 relief appearances.  1 start against a Packer defense, coming off a struggling performance against the Bears

Not saying Huntley won't continue to develop, do any of us really know that though?  With the info that's available, why would Ravens let a young/MVP caliber player walk?  Lamar hasn't been MVP caliber this year, granted, but that team has also been snake bit with injuries and he's still led them to 8 wins, to date.  

No Brainer, pay Lamar and get healthy

• Like (+1) 1

They have to figure out what's going on with Jackson healthwise and what that future trajectory looks like.

The "strange illness" that wasn't disclosed, the bouts of Covid. He's missed one game because of injury, but he often seems ailing to me.

41 minutes ago, saundena said:

Was kind of thinking the same.  I assume they did pick up his option?

I’ve had this thought a lot recently… but that doesn’t mean it’s right. 

If you’re an NFL franchise and you’re not sure about paying your QB… don’t. Find a comparable player, albeit with some drop off, give him very little money and build a team around him. 

I’ve observed it with Lamar/Huntley and I think the same thing can be said for Baker/Mullens. Obviously Lamar and Baker are more talented… but if they can’t put it together why waste the money? 

59 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huntley is not the physical specimen that Lamar is. Lamar is special, although limited. If you are going to hitch your wagon to a an extremely talented and athletic limited QB, pick the most talented one.

I think they have to pay Lamar, but the point is.. they wouldn't be 'hitching their wagon' to Huntley and could pay the team around him. It's a legit question whether some of these QBs in the current QB friendly environment can carry a team where they are worth 2-4 "superstars" of salary at other positions. If the Ravens decided not to, they'd also trade him.. and I don't think the equivalent of "4 1sts" would be far out there as a return. 

It's also much different when a player has to play game in / game out and gets the full attention of the opposing team's game plan. 

Edited by Malazan

43 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

All this after...

2. Huntley has made 1 start, and 1-2 relief appearances.  1 start against a Packer defense, coming off a struggling performance against the Bears

Not saying Huntley won't continue to develop, do any of us really know that though?  With the info that's available, why would Ravens let a young/MVP caliber player walk?  Lamar hasn't been MVP caliber this year, granted, but that team has also been snake bit with injuries and he's still led them to 8 wins, to date.  

And how many times have we seen back-up QB's come in and tear it up for a game or two then suck.  A bunch of Bills QB's over the years come to mind and a guy named Mike White for the Jets is the most recent example.

I do think that signing Allen was a no brainer but signing Jackson to a contract equal to or larger is not such an easy call.  That's why Bean is to be commended for getting the Allen deal done. In a couple of years it will look like a bargain.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I know is Lamar and Baker are going to get alot more money than they're worth.  Which in the long term will handcuff these organizations. 

Ya I agree.

I wonder what they will make.

I am guessing Lamar will be around Josh's average salary. (42 mil per range)

And Baker probably 35-38 per.

(Of course a lot will come down to guaranteed money and the structure of the contract )

Edited by BillsFan130

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

You’re forgetting the dollars. They’d save a ton that could be used to pay other players. Lamar is a one trick pony. I’d let him walk. Reminds me of slash. All hype no results. 

If I'm Baltimore I franchise him for a year. They are in a SB window and overpaying the QB spot for one year will be ok. He is a very very good player but he is not worthy of a top 3 contract. Top 7 yes not top 3. If he and his agent were sensible they would take 5th highest contract five year fully guaranteed. Take a little less money but get 100% of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I think they have to pay Lamar, but the point is.. they wouldn't be 'hitching their wagon' to Huntley and could pay the team around him. It's a legit question whether some of these QBs in the current QB friendly environment can carry a team where they are worth 2-4 "superstars" of salary at other positions. If the Ravens decided not to, they'd also trade him.. and I don't think the equivalent of "4 1sts" would be far out there as a return. 

It's also much different when a player has to play game in / game out and gets the full attention of the opposing team's game plan. 

Then they wouldn't have a QB.

You also wrote "hitch their wagon to Huntley" in your OP.

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

whats weird about Lamar is how sick the dude gets. He has had COVID like 4 times and then non-COVID illnesses a bunch more. They really need to get him some vitamins! 

The talk I have heard in area from Baltimore fans who hang out in that crowd (they have pictures of themselves and players at parties in MD) when he was out on illness.   Ravens should be real careful and consider this carefully including tag and trade.

Edited by Limeaid

Ravens would be stupid not to pay Lamar Jackson. Although very limited, he's one of the most electric athletes in the league. If a QB has the ability to carry a team by himself when everything else is failing then u pay him. He won't ALWAYS carry the offense (he needs a good team around him) but he has the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat once in awhile. I think he's the 2nd best QB to come out of that draft.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And how many times have we seen back-up QB's come in and tear it up for a game or two then suck.  A bunch of Bills QB's over the years come to mind and a guy named Mike White for the Jets is the most recent example.

I do think that signing Allen was a no brainer but signing Jackson to a contract equal to or larger is not such an easy call.  That's why Bean is to be commended for getting the Allen deal done. In a couple of years it will look like a bargain.

That QB played decently in playoff game against Bills because team crafted a defense which really frustrated Lamar using a player Ravens never expected to be playing.  It was not as effective against him because Bills did not plan specifically against him.

2 hours ago, saundena said:

Running QB's don't last. They have a really interesting decision to make in how they structure his contract. They certainly won't let him walk -- they can get a king's ransom in draft picks from some team for sure. I'm really intrigued to see how they will handle this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It’s not that simple when the difference is 40M per year.

tough position.  I’d rather trade him.  Especially with the possible QBs that might be available in Rodgers, Watson and Russ.  Get some assets for him.  

they usually get things right over there in Baltimore and I suspect they’ll keep him.  But this might be a big mistake.

6 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Ravens would be stupid not to pay Lamar Jackson. Although very limited, he's one of the most electric athletes in the league. If a QB has the ability to carry a team by himself when everything else is failing then u pay him. He won't ALWAYS carry the offense (he needs a good team around him) but he has the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat once in awhile. I think he's the 2nd best QB to come out of that draft.

When your calling card is having the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat once in awhile, it’s gonna take a lot of practice to pull a Lombardi out of a hat.

being the 2nd best QBs to come of that draft doesn’t mean Jack. 

one day I think they should pay him.  The next, I think paying him would be a huge mistake.  I like Lamar.  He’s a good dude and might be able to recruit a nice group of vets to join him at some point.  45M a year is a lot of money though.  Luckily for him, the ravens are the best drafting team in the league.  That’s the key when your QB gets paid

2 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Arguably the best qb from that draft. He needs to stay healthy. I predict he will be extended by Ravens to the highest paid qb in league. 

I don't think there's anybody that has watched Josh Allen play and Lamar Jackson play 

And think Lamar is the better quarterback

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

All this after...

Not to mention defenses don't have film on Huntley yet. Look at what defenses have done to lamar now that they have studied him. 

And the injuries to the running game really hurts lamar. When the ravens have an established run game lamar is good. 

I dont think it's even a question for the ravens. Build a solid run game and defense around lamar and don't ask him to win with his arm. And let him do freak athlete things. They have no choice but to pay him.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

When your calling card is having the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat once in awhile, it’s gonna take a lot of practice to pull a Lombardi out of a hat.

being the 2nd best QBs to come of that draft doesn’t mean Jack. 

one day I think they should pay him.  The next, I think paying him would be a huge mistake.  I like Lamar.  He’s a good dude and might be able to recruit a nice group of vets to join him at some point.  45M a year is a lot of money though.  Luckily for him, the ravens are the best drafting team in the league.  That’s the key when your QB gets paid

What other option do they have? You don't let a former MVP go. There's no other alternatives. Huntley? He had one good game. You're right, they are good at drafting so they need to keep adding on to the team around him. If Trent Dilfer can win one with the Ravens then Lamar can. 

They'll pay him and he probably deserves it. He's not as good as Josh but he may be #3 in the AFC, he's good and has proven he shouldn't be doubted. I was surprised by Huntley today though, too. Feed Mark Andrews is the name of the game apparently, but Lamar can do that and also rip off 120 with his legs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.