Dane Jackson played pretty well

Brianmoorman4jesus

Obviously the New England game was a soft landing for him but yesterday was a game where Dane could have been exposed. I’d say for the most part he was at least pretty solid. Maybe we got lucky with this guy and maybe we won’t be totally screwed without Tre. Obviously still very upset about the loss but wanted to show some appreciation to Dane for what I thought was a more then respectable showing.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Obviously the New England game was a soft landing for him but yesterday was a game where Dane could have been exposed. I’d say for the most part he was at least pretty solid. Maybe we got lucky with this guy and maybe we won’t be totally screwed without Tre. Obviously still very upset about the loss but wanted to show some appreciation to Dane for what I thought was a more then respectable showing.

Agreed. My one question is who had responsibility for Perriman. It appears it wasn't Edmunds, who was apparently supposed to hand him off to a DB. That makes sense because you don't cover a WR with a LB. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. My one question is who had responsibility for Perriman. It appears it wasn't Edmunds, who was apparently supposed to hand him off to a DB. That makes sense because you don't cover a WR with a LB. 

It was Dane.  However, it was a rub play.   When he chased Perriman across the middle he got blocked out of coverage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Jackson should have prevented it from being a TD after the catch, but Edmunds is who needed to prevent the catch.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

What I dont understand even more, is where was the safety help.  How did an entire right side of the field have no defensive backs what so ever and just a MLB who isnt fast enough to keep up with a speed WR?  How is there no safety help even in the middle of the field where they could have at least cut off the route to prevent the TD?  

Either an absolute terrible play call/design, or some of our guys completely screwed the pooch on that play.  Because even if Dane was on Perriman, he isnt fast enough to keep up with him and I don't think the play results in anything different given Perriman has a free run to the end zone on the initial separation anyway.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Jackson should have prevented it from being a TD after the catch, but Edmunds is who needed to prevent the catch.

You're running the wrong scheme if you're having a LB cover arguably the fastest player in the league (4.25 40 time; one scout timed him at 4.19). McDermott and Frazier aren't stupid. There was a breakdown.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It was Dane.  However, it was a rub play.   When he chased Perriman across the middle he got blocked out of coverage.

It was Johnson. Play is broken down here.

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What I dont understand even more, is where was the safety help.  How did an entire right side of the field have no defensive backs what so ever and just a MLB who isnt fast enough to keep up with a speed WR?  How is there no safety help even in the middle of the field where they could have at least cut off the route to prevent the TD?  

Either an absolute terrible play call/design, or some of our guys completely screwed the pooch on that play.  Because even if Dane was on Perriman, he isnt fast enough to keep up with him and I don't think the play results in anything different given Perriman has a free run to the end zone on the initial separation anyway.

Read here.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Could be a blessing in disguise for next year.  We need our premium picks for other positions, and from what i've seen from Jackson, we should feel pretty confident in a CB unit that consists of Tre, Dane and Levi on the outside (I do think Levi is worth re-signing).  

Edited by SCBills

Outside of the last play of the game I thought Dane was phenomenal! Great tackling, Held up in coverage on Gonk, held his own against others. He's an excellent depth player for this team and I hope he keeps up the good play out there in Tre-day's absence.

• Agree 1

Dane was solid. Makes me feel great about our CB situation long term.

Maybe Corner isn't a dire need in rounds 1 and 2 of next year... a lot of us, including me, have been wrong on that one.

If that's the case, I would feel great about:

1st Round: Guard/Center/1-Tech DT

2nd Round: Guard/Center/1-Tech DT

3rd Round: Guard/Center/1-Tech DT

Get a nice vet RB in free agency and maybe a WR as well.

Not a lot of tinkering needed if the CB situation is settled after Tre gets back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I was surprised how often he ended up alone on Gronk actually 

That is good scheme. Best way to stop Gronk was always to cover him with CB. He's too fast for a LB. And he is bigger than everyone anyways. 

Dane was good enough to be CB#2 or at least solid depth. Levi has been solid all year too. If they both come back it will give insurance that White can recover fully before being pressed into action.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm a big fan of Dane Jackson.  Media is saying we really missed Tre and that's why we got carved up by TB, especially in the first half.  Of course we're better with Tre but Dane played great.  He's a solid starting NFL CB2 all day.  Brady had success due to a lack of pressure by our front.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I think Dane Jackson is serviceable, and that's pretty impressive from a 7th round pick.  I would have preferred some more investment into the position though this draft. 

It's a position that's been ignored for too long.

Sure after they get two NFL OGs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I prefer using the free agency for lineman, because I don't trust Bobby Johnson in development of lineman anymore.  I agree with the sentiment though.

I am fine with buying OGs as well

Go get me Conner Williams and Brandon Schreff

The DPI call against Wallace in OT gave me a flashback of the Week One game between the Bucs and the Cowboys.  The Cowboys were winning late, by one point.  Brady threw a pass to Godwin along the left sideline that put the Bucs in position to kick the game winning FG right at the end.  There was OPI against Godwin on that play, where he clearly pushed the Cowboy DB away in order to make the catch, but there was no call.  Of course.  Without that, the Bucs were stuck way too far back to get the win.  There was a lot of uproar about that play, too.  But they were playing in TB, and Brady, so of course the Bucs got the call.

Just goes to show it isn't only the Bills getting screwed.  "America's Team" had a big Phillips screw through their bellies too.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Our secondary has been okay without Tre. Levi and Dane are doing their jobs.

Team defense.  The Bills play it better than anyone.  If they just had a monster one-tech DT they'd be unbelievable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You're running the wrong scheme if you're having a LB cover arguably the fastest player in the league (4.25 40 time; one scout timed him at 4.19). McDermott and Frazier aren't stupid. There was a breakdown.

McD and Frazier are stupid when it comes to Edmunds. Repeatedly they have put put responsibilities on Edmunds he fails at. But the offense loading up a side with 3 receivers and having the linebacker cover the receiver cutting back over the middle isnt crazy. The only way that pass can be defended is by Edmunds. That's why he's standing there. 

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

McD and Frazier are stupid when it comes to Edmunds. Repeatedly they have put put responsibilities on Edmunds he fails at. But the offense loading up a side with 3 receivers and having the linebacker cover the receiver cutting back over the middle isnt crazy. The only way that pass can be defended is by Edmunds. That's why he's standing there. 

The Bills D doesn't blow very many coverages, but they blew that one.  There's no way that it should have been Edmunds trying to cover that receiver.  Edmunds was just the closest guy left once the catch was made.  The Bills had NO DBs on that side of the field.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Think it was one of those good ol fashioned pick plays like Pats did a lot when Brady was there. Dane may have gotten hit with it. Many of those could be called for OPI that they get away with. Not sure if Dane is fast enough or not, but those picks will take away even the fastest CB's

As for the safety I don't know, could be they had their attention on Evans or Gronk. 

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yea he did as nice as job on Gronk as anybody we’ve had…he had that one holding call on him which I object to given the bucs were called for 0 of them 😂

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

The DPI call against Wallace in OT gave me a flashback of the Week One game between the Bucs and the Cowboys.  The Cowboys were winning late, by one point.  Brady threw a pass to Godwin along the left sideline that put the Bucs in position to kick the game winning FG right at the end.  There was OPI against Godwin on that play, where he clearly pushed the Cowboy DB away in order to make the catch, but there was no call.  Of course.  Without that, the Bucs were stuck way too far back to get the win.  There was a lot of uproar about that play, too.  But they were playing in TB, and Brady, so of course the Bucs got the call.

Just goes to show it isn't only the Bills getting screwed.  "America's Team" had a big Phillips screw through their bellies too.

Team defense.  The Bills play it better than anyone.  If they just had a monster one-tech DT they'd be unbelievable.

Hahaha I have a cowboys fan friend who I have talked about that play with for weeks and I’m so happy you brought that up because I’ve been saying the same thing.  Clear penalty and the refs didn’t want to get involved…Godwin shoved him with both hands at the top of his route and pushed the db like 5 yards downfield making himself laughably open.  Bucs win the game. Wasn’t even a questionable OPI that was 100% OPI but the refs swallow their whistles 

• Like (+1) 1

For sure a Dane fan here !
I see a nice future with the Bills for this fine young man.
He will play a role that we hope increases over time with Exp.
Cam Lewis is good player too but i feel Jackson has a higher ceiling in the end.
Only question  concern I keep is his speed. Deep speed. recover speed and how he will do on the high pointed ball like Mike Evan got from Brady over 5 11 Poyer. I have seen him defend those types of plays.
Boy can he play downhill and side to side though !
and he Hits.

Go Bills

He played well; especially when you consider the level of competition--probably the best receiving core in the league, and certainly against the smartest QB he will ever face. He did what he should. No, he's not Tre, but he did not hurt us. And that is what I expect the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I was actually surprised we didn't hear Levi Wallace's name until that terrible pi call in ot. Think this secondary can step up and be good down the stretch 

I think Levi Wallace is the most underrated player on our roster. People won't realize how much he means to this team until he signs a big deal elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Played him pretty well too. I like Dane’s physicality at CB. Something the Bills lack

20 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I prefer using the free agency for lineman, because I don't trust Bobby Johnson in development of lineman anymore.  I agree with the sentiment though.

Time for Bobby to go

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Played well but I think he got confused on the Perriman OT TD.

He got picked on that play from what I understand, so can be hard to keep your position. And those pick/rub type plays get flagged for OPI once in a while. Not flagged nearly as much as it should, but as we have seen for many years that happens often with Brady lead offense and it's very rare it gets flagged..because you know, Brady is so perfect and awesome. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.