If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Not a problem at all. Problem is those who are unable to make their own assesment and can only parrot the opinions of these so called “experts” of which you speak.  You ate free to disagree. 

Certainly entitled to your opinions - not sure who I’m “parroting” here either. But on a base level it is difficult to give any credibility to your opinions when you blatantly disregard expert evaluations, claim to hold superior knowledge and info, and contradict actual performance. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Certainly entitled to your opinions - not sure who I’m “parroting” here either. But on a base level it is difficult to give any credibility to your opinions when you blatantly disregard expert evaluations, claim to hold superior knowledge and info, and contradict actual performance. 

If we just share the opinions of others,then this wouldn’t be much of a fan forum now,would it?  If you feel the Jet offense is the true test of a defenses mettle, well that’s your opinion.  I feel the same way about our suddenly vaunted run game, being able to run against two lousy defenses.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

You do realize all the experts think he's great right.  Jets coach gushed over him.  Announcers today gushed.  Every week someone does.  Maybe we should resign Brandon spikes as it seems that's what people think linebackers should be.    

Yeah but what do all these people know compared to the experts here at TBD!

24 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Not a problem at all. Problem is those who are unable to make their own assesment and can only parrot the opinions of these so called “experts” of which you speak.  You ate free to disagree. 

12 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

If we just share the opinions of others,then this wouldn’t be much of a fan forum now,would it?  If you feel the Jet offense is the true test of a defenses mettle, well that’s your opinion.  I feel the same way about our suddenly vaunted run game, being able to run against two lousy defenses.

Yes it's a fan forum, but many of the "Experts" here seem to feel it's a coaches forum and think they know more and start threads titled just like this one "If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid" like they know more.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

We have Addison $10 MM per year and spent mid round picks on undersized underathletic RBs in back to back years... but resigning Edmunds is crossing the line to us being dumb?

Oh and we refuse to play McKenzie who lit it up only when the coaching staff had no choice. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

We have Addison $10 MM per year and spent mid round picks on undersized underathletic RBs in back to back years... but resigning Edmunds is crossing the line to us being dumb?

Oh and we refuse to play McKenzie who lit it up only when the coaching staff had no choice. 

I truly hope not getting Mckenzie involved today was on purpose. And by that I mean they may have wanted to save the Mckenzie plays for playoffs. Other wise ya huge mistake not giving him at least several jet sweeps a game.

4 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I truly hope not getting Mckenzie involved today was on purpose. And by that I mean they may have wanted to save the Mckenzie plays for playoffs. Other wise ya huge mistake not giving him at least several jet sweeps a game.

I’m ready to see more McKenzie and less Beasley 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

His two best games this season have been against the Texans and Jets. It’s predictable that when he makes a couple plays against these lower teams, people come out of the woodwork extolling his greatness. I’m not an Edmunds hater, but I do believe we could get better production in the middle. A good game against the Jets today doesn’t change that belief. I want to see Edmunds make an impact against higher tier competition and he’ll have his chance in the playoffs.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, ctk232 said:

But it has become status symbol in this day and age to disagree with knowledgeable "experts". Narcissism and arrogant belligerence have sadly become the rule and real knowledge sadly is too often frowned upon. Strange how highly Edmunds is thought of by other teams and "knowledgeable" football people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

His two best games this season have been against the Texans and Jets. It’s predictable that when he makes a couple plays against these lower teams, people come out of the woodwork extolling his greatness. I’m not an Edmunds hater, but I do believe we could get better production in the middle. A good game against the Jets today doesn’t change that belief. I want to see Edmunds make an impact against higher tier competition and he’ll have his chance in the playoffs.

Did you miss the Titans game or something lol

6 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

But it has become status symbol in this day and age to disagree with knowledgeable "experts". Narcissism and arrogant belligerence have sadly become the rule and real knowledge sadly is too often frowned upon. Strange how highly Edmunds is thought of by other teams and "knowledgeable" football people.

There's a lot of knee-jerk garbage posters on this site, but there's also a lot of established, highly respected posters who can dissect on-field play and be right-on, sometimes more than the outside "experts" who may only take a superficial look at Edmunds.

I agree with the assessment that Edmunds is a talented player who lacks good football instincts. I think you have to be blind not to see the plays he is out of position or gets fooled.  It happens too frequently and his lack of game changing plays speak to this.  The fact that the FO hasn't locked him in to a long term contract also speaks to it.

Let's see what they do.  I'm okay keeping him but not at elite prices.

Edited by GaryPinC

10 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Addison is making $4.6 million this year and he lead our team in sacks with 7.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Again, absolutely entitled to your opinions - everyone here is. I also don’t  think anyone here is holding up yesterday’s game as a holistic measurement of anything. I’m just saying blatant ignorance and disregard of expert evaluation, whether you agree or disagree, only serves to discredit any opinion you do have. It’d be more logical to acknowledge expert evaluation and take it into consideration when expressing your opinions as it provides greater context, complexity, and depth of comprehension. 

He definitely ain't no London Fletcher but they could have done worse ! I know the Bills like to sigh their own but not sure if he is worth his draft status .

I have often wondered since the Bills drafted him & seeing as he played OLB in college are the Bills playing him in the wrong spot & would he be better suited & have more production at OLB rather than ILB ?

All the "Experts" say he is a gifted athlete but by putting him in a position that he may not be as well suited for could they be better off moving him to see what effect if any that could have on his production .

The Bills are rated #1 on D but with what they say about him & given the skepticism/expectations of the Bills Mafia i don't know why they wouldn't try moving him around a bit if for nothing else just to see if he may have more production .

5 minutes ago, T master said:

He definitely ain't no London Fletcher but they could have done worse ! I know the Bills like to sigh their own but not sure if he is worth his draft status .

I have often wondered since the Bills drafted him & seeing as he played OLB in college are the Bills playing him in the wrong spot & would he be better suited & have more production at OLB rather than ILB ?

All the "Experts" say he is a gifted athlete but by putting him in a position that he may not be as well suited for could they be better off moving him to see what effect if any that could have on his production .

The Bills are rated #1 on D but with what they say about him & given the skepticism/expectations of the Bills Mafia i don't know why they wouldn't try moving him around a bit if for nothing else just to see if he may have more production .

Dude...do you not understand how important Edmunds is to their pass D and preventing big plays with his ability to drop deep and cover huge amounts of ground in the middle of the field when they go to Cover 2?

It's like people have no idea how he is used and why he is so valuable to the defense. He basically forces QBs to make perfect throws into much smaller windows than they are accustomed to having due to his athleticism and length.

Yeah he might not be great against the run. Who cares? It's a passing league.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T master said:

Because they are rated number 1 in a number of categories and they already have a 2nd LB in Milano - so moving Edmunds means taking Milano off the field and bringing in a less athletic and worse player in Edmunds spot.

They do not have traditional inside and OLB set-ups - they are essentially playing with 2 hybrid backers that they move around for match-ups.

Then they use a nickel CB as extra coverage and to fill cutback lanes.

They are seeing the same things we see with Edmunds - it is just the Bills know what they are asking him to do and since he is not in the doghouse like some players that struggle and since the defense seems to be elite and he is making all of the calls - maybe he is doing exactly what is asked and it is Bills fans that are missing exactly how vital he is.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes, this is from last week. I'm sure something will come out in due time for yesterday's game as well. There are also breakdowns available from other games throughout this season. Lets make this perfectly clear one last time. This isn't subjective. This is proven expert analysis of a man who understands the roles and responsibilities of all NFL defenses, let alone the Bills. Look at his body of work. Take the time. Its not something you can really have an opinion on. Edmunds had by far his best season in 2021. He's not elite and may never be, but he's in the upper echelon and certainly accomplishes what the team needs him to do. Barring an unforseen regression or injury next year, he's staying a Bill beyond that. Period. Deal with it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Dude...do you not understand how important Edmunds is to their pass D and preventing big plays with his ability to drop deep and cover huge amounts of ground in the middle of the field when they go to Cover 2?

It's like people have no idea how he is used and why he is so valuable to the defense. He basically forces QBs to make perfect throws into much smaller windows than they are accustomed to having due to his athleticism and length.

To be honest no i don't i am a casual fan not into breaking it all down apparently like you are but with that being said i just know given his talent & size i don't get why he isn't better against the run .

All the so called "Experts" say this is a passing league & yes we can see that it has become that but then there are those teams like the Titans & coaches like Belichek the have the ability & players to change their game plan like he did in the first meeting with the Bills & that wasn't pretty .

I believe no matter that the league is becoming a passing league you still need a above average run game to win the big game ! Every one that has won the SB has had such a running game & i believe that they underestimate having a really good RB & Run game it's all a big part of the puzzle to winning a SB .

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because they are rated number 1 in a number of categories and they already have a 2nd LB in Milano - so moving Edmunds means taking Milano off the field and bringing in a less athletic and worse player in Edmunds spot.

They do not have traditional inside and OLB set-ups - they are essentially playing with 2 hybrid backers that they move around for match-ups.

Then they use a nickel CB as extra coverage and to fill cutback lanes.

They are seeing the same things we see with Edmunds - it is just the Bills know what they are asking him to do and since he is not in the doghouse like some players that struggle and since the defense seems to be elite and he is making all of the calls - maybe he is doing exactly what is asked and it is Bills fans that are missing exactly how vital he is.

I am probably missing it I am just a casual fan i watch football to watch it i don't break it down like some i just know yes that he is a good player but i don't see him making the big plays & was just wondering if it was a typical 4/3 & with him on 1 side & Millano on the other could it be better ?? 

We may never know though unless someone hired Frazier & say a Schwartz would come in & change some things around but i'm good with what they are doing i guess its the what if that i was wondering about is all .

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I care.  We do terrible against the run teams, look at the first New England game (3 passes) or the Tennesse game.  Winter weather and wind kills passing, why running is so critical in the playoffs.   We end up playing against Derrick Henry it could get ugly.

11 minutes ago, T master said:

To be honest no i don't i am a casual fan not into breaking it all down apparently like you are but with that being said i just know given his talent & size i don't get why he isn't better against the run .

All the so called "Experts" say this is a passing league & yes we can see that it has become that but then there are those teams like the Titans & coaches like Belichek the have the ability & players to change their game plan like he did in the first meeting with the Bills & that wasn't pretty .

I believe no matter that the league is becoming a passing league you still need a above average run game to win the big game ! Every one that has won the SB has had such a running game & i believe that they underestimate having a really good RB & Run game it's all a big part of the puzzle to winning a SB .

Mainly because he has a tendency to over pursue and leave cut back lanes open. He also gets caught up in the trash a lot and has trouble getting out of it.

The D Line needs to handle the run better and not allow gaping holes for RBs to run through. They aren't great against the run but they aren't anywhere near as poor as some would have you believe. And their ability to limit passing yards and big chunk plays more than makes up for their ability to defend the run.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I care.  We do terrible against the run teams, look at the first New England game (3 passes) or the Tennesse game.  Winter weather and wind kills passing, why running is so critical in the playoffs.   We end up playing against Derrick Henry it could get ugly.

If you remember last year's playoff games we clamped down on the run pretty well. Taylor had not much until the 4th quarter when they were down by multiple scores and we started playing the pass.

Baltimore did not much on the ground either.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Mainly because he has a tendency to over pursue and leave cut back lanes open. He also gets caught up in the trash a lot and has trouble getting out of it.

The D Line needs to handle the run better and not allow gaping holes for RBs to run through. They aren't great against the run but they aren't anywhere near as poor as some would have you believe. And their ability to limit passing yards and big chunk plays more than makes up for their ability to defend the run.

If you remember last year's playoff games we clamped down on the run pretty well. Taylor had not much until the 4th quarter when they were down by multiple scores and we started playing the pass.

Baltimore did not much on the ground either.

I remember and I dont care what we did last year.

13 minutes ago, T master said:

I am probably missing it I am just a casual fan i watch football to watch it i don't break it down like some i just know yes that he is a good player but i don't see him making the big plays & was just wondering if it was a typical 4/3 & with him on 1 side & Millano on the other could it be better ?? 

We may never know though unless someone hired Frazier & say a Schwartz would come in & change some things around but i'm good with what they are doing i guess its the what if that i was wondering about is all .

I don’t know how he would be in a traditional 4-3 as an OLB.  He might be great or he might struggle.  He has unique abilities, but I would not want him playing the strong side.  

He is really a zone coverage LB that can pick up and play man as needed.

I think on the outside you are limiting his effectiveness.  The only way it works is with a top MLB guy and in that case the OLB become more afterthoughts anyway.  

He is not a rush OLB and he is not a strong side OLB taking on TEs and pulling guards to make plays.  He really is actually nearly perfectly suited to the role he has in the middle of a disciplined pass first defense.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t know how he would be in a traditional 4-3 as an OLB.  He might be great or he might struggle.  He has unique abilities, but I would not want him playing the strong side.  

He is really a zone coverage LB that can pick up and play man as needed.

I think on the outside you are limiting his effectiveness.  The only way it works is with a top MLB guy and in that case the OLB become more afterthoughts anyway.  

He is not a rush OLB and he is not a strong side OLB taking on TEs and pulling guards to make plays.  He really is actually nearly perfectly suited to the role he has in the middle of a disciplined pass first defense.

He is a horrible pass rusher and almost as bad getting off blocks. He is really playing the only role he is somewhat fit for right now. I dread the cap space his new contract will take up.

Edumonds is the most polarizing player here. But I will agree that even though I do think he is a net positive on the defense if I am the front office (and thankfully I am not) I am not going to make a massive offer to resign Edumonds. Not because I don't think he adds something to this defense but mainly because I want to have the cap flexibility to keep talent around Josh. I am much more comfortable having a defense be OK than having subpar protection or targets for a franchise QB in his prime (does that feel good to say). Also if I have some space to spend on the defensive side of the ball I would rather spend on the D-line than on the back 7. 

I am glad they picked up his option to keep him in the fold one more season but after 2022 I make a decent offer (similar to what Milano got) and if he gets more on the market I let him walk and get a cheaper replacement and keep my resources elsewhere on the team. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, damj said:

Once again... Edmunds is close, but fails. 

I'm not talking about the touchdown... I'm talking 3rd and 3, he penetrates and fails to make the tackle. 

He is good. But he is not an impact LB. 

Against the pass he absolutely is.  I suggest you get a better understanding of what his role is in the Bills D.  You clearly don't seem to have that.

IDK how you can have the #1 D in a number of categories and even think about replacing the MLB who makes all the calls and adjustments.

Yeah, I’d like Edmunds to be more of an impact, big play LB but he’s not right now and maybe never will be. 

I’ve said it a bunch of times, McBeane love them some Tremaine and he’s going to be here for a loooong time so just get over it already.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Yes, this is from last week. I'm sure something will come out in due time for yesterday's game as well. There are also breakdowns available from other games throughout this season. Lets make this perfectly clear one last time. This isn't subjective. This is proven expert analysis of a man who understands the roles and responsibilities of all NFL defenses, let alone the Bills. Look at his body of work. Take the time. Its not something you can really have an opinion on. Edmunds had by far his best season in 2021. He's not elite and may never be, but he's in the upper echelon and certainly accomplishes what the team needs him to do. Barring an unforseen regression or injury next year, he's staying a Bill beyond that. Period. Deal with it.

The man just covered a WR in man coverage and was on him like glue.  I'm not sure how many LB's in the NFL would be able to handle that, but I doubt it is very many.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

IDK how you can have the #1 D in a number of categories and even think about replacing the MLB who makes all the calls and adjustments.

Yeah, I’d like Edmunds to be more of an impact, big play LB but he’s not right now and maybe never will be. 

I’ve said it a bunch of times, McBeane love them some Tremaine and he’s going to be here for a loooong time so just get over it already.

I pretty much agree.

Is he perfect?  Nope.  Does he make some very noticable mistakes? Yes.  But how is his overall game?  I think for as many plays he makes that are bad, he makes just as many plays that a typical linebacker might not make because they would be 1/2 step slower.  

I'm going to trust management on this one. None of us really know how valuable he is as the guy who makes the calls and adjustments in his position, or on film just how many plays he DOES make that other players wouldn't.  If management wants to resign him as a critical member of this D-unit, so be it.

I'm not going to say he is awful and don't resign him because of a handful of plays he doesn't make, when he very well could be making or setting up 2 to 3 times as many as that because of his ability or his calls....and there is no way we can ever know that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:29 PM, FormerlyPT5P said:

I agree. But ideally, shouldn't all linebackers have Milano's mentality?

To me it just seems like a prerequisite. It's what frustrates me the most about Edmunds

Why is this thread still flopping around this board. Hasn't this embarrassing,shock value idea had it's 10 minutes in the public space. The Mods must be desperate for content. Edmunds is crucial to anything we do. The defense has been dominant since Tampa 1st half. These one dimensional criticisms compromise this board's credibility. Just look at our record, the defenses stats and his stats. Shake it up and factor in he plays every down and he's always available besides his teammates love him. Enough of this foolishness. 

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds is a massive reason why they have had a top pass defense for years.  The area of the field he can take away is vast.  He is a modern day Mike.   What is he 23?  I wouldnt pay him top 5 money but would do top 10.  This is what the old Bills did.  Im not resigning player X because he isnt the best in the NFL.  Then draft his replacement that is inferior.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Addison is making $4.6 million this year and he lead our team in sacks with 7.

That's wrong.  Cash- wise he makes $5.9 MM this year after making $14.0 MM last year.  His cap figure this year is $8.2 MM. His average annual was $10 MM per year. 

He's been absolutely horrible and will be gone in the offseason.

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.