RIP Mark Pike! :(

Buftex

Crazy.  Just saw him back in early October, when the Bills played the Texans. 

It was really funny.  I went to the game with a friend of mine, and his young son, Jake, who had never been to a game before. 

The kid  was excited about maybe  getting some autographs. As we were walking through the lot, I saw Mark Pike standing on one of those podiums to sign photos.  There was no line at all (it was a miserable rainy morning as you may recall)...I said to Jake, "Hey, you want to get Mark Pike's autograph?"  Pike looks at Jake and smiles, and the kid, who is very shy says "Umm..no thanks"!  :)  Mark smiled and kind of chuckled, then looked at me and said "well, at least he is polite"

Of course, Jake is 10 years old, and has no earthly idea who Mark was.  Pike handled it with humor.  I had met him back in his playing days too...seemed like a really good guy. That was just about two months ago...I didn't realize he was sick.  He looked great.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Devastating news.  While Steve Tasker was the star, Mark Pike was the heart and soul of the Bills special teams in the Super Bowl years.  The play I will always remember is the onside kick in the Comeback Game.  Kenny Davis had just scored to make it 35-10 Oilers.  Christie dribbles the ball right up the middle.  As Houston LB Rick Graf goes down to cover the ball, Mark Pike just abso*****in'lutely DESTROYS him, the ball bounces to Christie, who recovers, and the Comeback is ON!!  Houston recovers that onsides kick, likely game over.  RIP Mark Pike, you were an outstanding Buffalo Bill.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 6

That is very sad news. Tasker is right, Pike would blow people up on the Special teams. Damn that whole era of the 90s  Bills right up to the playoff loss to Tennessee was filled with great players but also a huge supporting cast of talent and interesting characters like Pike. It makes our current squad of Bills look pretty vanilla.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Devastating news.  While Steve Tasker was the star, Mark Pike was the heart and soul of the Bills special teams in the Super Bowl years.  The play I will always remember is the onside kick in the Comeback Game.  Kenny Davis had just scored to make it 35-10 Oilers.  Christie dribbles the ball right up the middle.  As Houston LB Rick Graf goes down to cover the ball, Mark Pike just abso*****in'lutely DESTROYS him, the ball bounces to Christie, who recovers, and the Comeback is ON!!  Houston recovers that onsides kick, likely game over.  RIP Mark Pike, you were an outstanding Buffalo Bill.

Great memory of Mark.

You can watch the onside kick at 3:53 of this video...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

5ff372e0a9314.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Mark-Pike.jpg?id=4b9307b8-bcd8-4a4b-9426

r948372_1296x729_16-9.jpg

I happen to be a bit of a card collector.  That middle picture (with the text) is Pikes' "rookie card".  Don't know if you all remember this, but his rookie cards weren't issued until 1995, ten years after he had been in the league.  He (and I believe Steve Tasker, if memory serves) started a campaign for him to get a football card issued, as he wanted one for his kids, who collected.  Of course, this was before the days of the internet, so even then, Bills fans mass-pestered the card manufacturers to include him in their sets. 

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I happen to be a bit of a card collector.  That middle picture (with the text) is Pikes' "rookie card".  Don't know if you all remember this, but his rookie cards weren't issued until 1995, ten years after he had been in the league.  He (and I believe Steve Tasker, if memory serves) started a campaign for him to get a football card issued, as he wanted one for his kids, who collected.  Of course, this was before the days of the internet, so even then, Bills fans mass-pestered the card manufacturers to include him in their sets. 

Interesting info.  Didn't know any of that!

The Greatest Comeback Game in NFL History probably doesn't go down in history the way it did without his contribution.  He will forever have his place in Buffalo Bills and even further NFL history.

More importantly...from everything I have read about him he sounded like a first class, standup kind of dude.  Very proud to have him associated with the Buffalo Bills.  This is very sad news today

RIP #94

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Buftex said:

Crazy.  Just saw him back in early October, when the Bills played the Texans. 

It was really funny.  I went to the game with a friend of mine, and his young son, Jake, who had never been to a game before. 

The kid  was excited about maybe  getting some autographs. As we were walking through the lot, I saw Mark Pike standing on one of those podiums to sign photos.  There was no line at all (it was a miserable rainy morning as you may recall)...I said to Jake, "Hey, you want to get Mark Pike's autograph?"  Pike looks at Jake and smiles, and the kid, who is very shy says "Umm..no thanks"!  :)  Mark smiled and kind of chuckled, then looked at me and said "well, at least he is polite"

Of course, Jake is 10 years old, and has no earthly idea who Mark was.  Pike handled it with humor.  I had met him back in his playing days too...seemed like a really good guy. That was just about two months ago...I didn't realize he was sick.  He looked great.

The Bills held a short minicamp at Gates Chili High School in 1986, when Mark was rookie. A 250 lb linebacker was unheard of in 1986, so I was very intrigued by this 7th rd draft pick.  I went up to met him at the end of practice and since the uniforms didn't have names, I asked him if he was Mark Pike and his his answer was "Yes Sir, I am".  I was only 31 at the time and not really used to being called "Sir", so this really took me back at bit. However this also told me all I needed to know about him and from that point on he was "my guy".  It was very clear that he was a high character guy who was raised to understand the value of being polite and respectful, so his comment to this dad is not surprising.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.