Beane needs to spend serious resources on the OL

Big Turk

I don't care if the first 3 picks in the draft are OL. Spends in FA to get a premium OL player or two...whatever. We simply CANNOT afford to keep playing this way on offense. 

No run game...Allen running for his life most plays...this offense is too good to allow poor blocking to kill it the way it is.

Forget the defense for a minute. Yeah that's important and some more  quality CBs are important...but OLine has a far better return on investment for this team...would allow them to basically be unstoppable on offense...

Beane...you need to fix this once and for all this off-season. Not by signing below average players to contracts to keep things together. They aren't good enough. Bring in better talent.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I don't care if the first 3 picks in the draft are OL. Spends in FA to get a premium OL player or two...whatever. We simply CANNOT afford to keep playing this way on offense. 

No run game...Allen running for his life most plays...this offense is too good to allow poor blocking to kill it the way it is.

Forget the defense for a minute. Yeah that's important and some more  quality CBs are important...but OLine has a far better return on investment for this team...would allow them to basically be unstoppable on offense...

Beane...you need to fix this once and for all this off-season. Not by signing below average players to contracts to keep things together. They aren't good enough. Bring in better talent.

I can’t disagree here with this theory. However, we also need some playmakers on offense. Just fixing the oline will not make our running backs faster or make Beasley or sanders any younger. This needs to be a mostly offensive heavy draft for us to get to the level where we need to be for the foreseeable future. We have too many guys on short deals. We need some longer rookie deals to right this ship. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They’ve already spent “serious resources” on both lines and have little to show for it.  Throwing money at the problem won’t solve it.  

Yet they've got to do something. I surmise the draft is the main resource. Creed Humphrey is wearing a helmet with an arrowhead. That's a miss.

I really can't properly evaluate coaching, but maybe they should throw money at the best possible oline coach while they are at it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Our interior O Line is a joke, the one good player we have is Morse who is ancient, expensive and an injury risk.  I think Spencer Long will be a stud and give Dawkins a pass this year assuming his drop off is Covid related.

Not to mention provides zero push in the run game.  He’s useless unless he pulling 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our d line really isn't as bad as everyone says. As far as o line, I'm starting to wonder if it's coaching to an extent. We have young players on the o line who should be solid. I think one issue, and this falls on coaching, is the constant o line shuffling over the last few years. I don't think this helped in the long run. Having said that, the bills do need to upgrade it in next years draft or via free agency 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Wyatt Teller was jettisoned for a 6th rounder. In 4 years Beane has found one starting OL through the draft. 

You somehow neglect to mention that the guy who beat him out wasn't chopped liver ... in fact, it was the immortal QUINTON SPAIN.

Quinton, please come back. I miss your mediocrity.

EDIT: yeah, yeah, I know, it's PFF and all that, but ... PFF currently has Spain (starting for the Bengals) as an above average guard. I never quite got why they gave up on him so fast. I mean, mediocrity is sometimes better than the alternative.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Would be completely fine if we come into next year with:

Dawkins - FA/Draft - FA/Draft - FA/Draft - Brown.  Feliciano and Williams can be depth.  

Don't care who we replace Moss/Singletary with, just get us new RB's.

Say our goodbyes to Hughes, Addison and Butler.  Live or die with our incessant high round picks on the DL and add another run stuffer & pass rusher or re-sign Obada is they like him.  

With the cap going up and guys we can move off of, including Sanders/Beasley potentially gone, that likely allows us to go sign a high end #2 WR to go with Diggs and Davis. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Nobody on the Bills line has significantly improved or become the best version of themselves under Bobby Johnson. Meanwhile Quinton Spain and Teller escaped and have been 2 of the best guards in football this year. It won’t matter who we sign or draft if that bum still has a job here.

• Agree 5

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham are going to be really good players for us.  Oliver has really come on this year.   Now Beane needs to turn his attention to the interior line.  

We sure hope they will be.  I believe Rousseau will. Epenesa and Basham, I still question whether they’ll be the impact players we hope they are as 2nd rd picks.  

1 minute ago, gobills404 said:

Nobody on the Bills line has significantly improved or become the best version of themselves under Bobby Johnson. Meanwhile Quinton Spain and Teller escaped and have been 2 of the best guards in football this year. It won’t matter who we sign or draft if that bum still has a job here.

Agreed. Johnson must go.  McD has really failed hiring OL coaches.  Castillo and Johnson.  FAIL

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Wyatt Teller was jettisoned for a 6th rounder. In 4 years Beane has found one starting OL through the draft. 

Beane has done nice job, but he has neglected his OL.  Games are won controlling the line of scrimmage

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Dawkins - FA/Draft - FA/Draft - FA/Draft - Brown.  Feliciano and Williams can be depth.  

Say our goodbyes to Hughes, Addison and Butler.  Live or die with our incessant high round picks on the DL and add another run stuffer & pass rusher or re-sign Obada is they like him.  

With the cap going up and guys we can move off of, including Sanders/Beasley potentially gone, that likely allows us to go sign a high end #2 WR to go with Diggs and Davis. 

I like the plan a lot  but I think your wish list is too long and I would say forget signing a high end #2 WR if Beasley/Sanders depart.  Bills over-invested this year at DE and WR imo.

13 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Correct. Just poor talent evaluation is all I can come up with there. Teller was a mid round draft pick and Spain a FA signing, so they liked what they saw when they acquired them, but soured on both with no better alternative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

While this sounds great in theory there are two problems:

1) Beane is the same guy that traded away Wyatt Teller because he didn't think he was good enough to make this roster a few years ago. He also couldn't wait to resign guys like Williams and Feliciano and traded up for Cody Ford.

2) Speaking of the aforementioned contracts and draft picks, there isn't going to be much money in the offseason to maneuver with even though he can probably get out of some of these deals easily like Feliciano's.

Also to throw more salt in the wound, Creed Humphrey is the #1 graded center in the entire league as a rookie. Guess who we could have drafted instead of a guy who has been inactive most weeks and done absolutely nothing when he's played?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Like they did with the DL?

The Creed Humphrey miss was inexcusable in my eyes. There had been talk about Morse retiring and his concussion concerns, but even forgetting about that, we had a real weakness in the interior OL last year and on paper it looked like Humphrey would be an immediate upgrade somewhere on the line. He tested as an athletic freak. At the time Basham was picked, the Bills DEs were Hughes, Addison, Rousseau, Epenesa, Obada, and Daryl Johnson. Inexcusable double down pick which is further exacerbated by how often Basham is inactive aand/or how little he contributes while on the field.

And to make matters worse, had Basham been selected Beane says they had a deal to trade out of the pick. That’s just poor evaluation on his part.

Edited by JayBaller10

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Yep. I agree with this 100000%. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

You want to keep feliciano and Williams as backups? Have you seen their contracts?

It's time to cut the fat. I am fine with restructuring Williams and keeping him as a starting G as long as we upgrade two other IOL positions. But if he won't restructure then cut him, Morse, and Feliciano.

Ford is a fine, cheap backup G. Sign a cheap swing T. 3 new starters on the interior. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham are going to be really good players for us.  Oliver has really come on this year.   Now Beane needs to turn his attention to the interior line.  

Here’s the problem though, McD wants such a heavy rotation that he will want to replace Hughes, Addison, and Star.  We are stuck in this endless cycle of drafting defensive lineman.  

Personally, I’m over the rotation and the money it costs.  Find the right core 2-3 guys, pay them, and move on.  The rotation hasn’t shown any success on field besides pressure rate, which means nothing in these rushing games.  

I expect this draft to be DB, OL, and DL again. Nothing flashy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

You want to keep feliciano and Williams as backups? Have you seen their contracts?

It's time to cut the fat. I am fine with restructuring Williams and keeping him as a starting G as long as we upgrade two other IOL positions. But if he won't restructure then cut him, Morse, and Feliciano.

Ford is a fine, cheap backup G. Sign a cheap swing T. 3 new starters on the interior. 

Feliciano, I feel would be worth it given he can play G or C.   Darryl Williams could probably bring a pick back if we traded him.  If not, i'm fine cutting him or keeping him as depth, given he - like Ford - can play inside/outside in a pinch.  He can also hold down starting G while we get a draft pick up to speed. 

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

The Creed Humphrey miss was inexcusable in my eyes. There had been talk about Morse retiring and his concussion concerns, but even forgetting about that, we had a real weakness in the interior OL last year and on paper it looked like Humphrey would be an immediate upgrade somewhere on the line. He tested as an athletic freak. At the time Basham was picked, the Bills DEs were Hughes, Addison, Rousseau, Epenesa, Obada, and Daryl Johnson. Inexcusable double down pick which is further exacerbated by how often Basham is inactive aand/or how little he contributes while on the field.

And to make matters worse, had Basham been selected Beane says they had a deal to trade out of the pick. That’s just poor evaluation on his part.

Everyone will say hindsight is 20/20 or similar cliches, but yes it's inexcusable for a number of reasons especially letting this guy go to the rival team that we went all in on to beat this year.

Beane claimed they had Basham graded high and couldn't pass on him despite already taking Rousseau, but regardless of what he thought of the oline the same rule should have applied immediately when Humphrey was still on the board with our 2nd round pick.

1 minute ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

They're not adding any high end FA's next year because they are basically strapped against the cap. According to Spotrac there's only 9.3 million available, so that's only gonna leave the draft

There is a lot of money tied up in DL and LB…yet not a lot of impact plays. 

9 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

They're not adding any high end FA's next year because they are basically strapped against the cap. According to Spotrac there's only 9.3 million available, so that's only gonna leave the draft

They will clear more. They can restructure some contracts and flat out release some others that are aging and high priced (AJ Klein, Beasley and Feliciano being released would clear about $19M IIRC)

I wonder if we could end up with any of these guys.....they will probably all be gone when we pick!  

DAMN!

8. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa (6-3, 290 pounds)

Linderbaum is a strong, athletic and relentless interior blocker. He has the intelligence and natural run blocking skills to be a decade-long fixture in the NFL.

11. Ikem Ekwonu, G, NC State (6-4, 320 pounds)

Ekwonu has shot up boards showing his strong and powerful run blocking with the required nasty streak to push around and strike fear into his defensive line assignments.

15. Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State (6-5, 310 pounds)

Cross has a powerful upper body, strong hands and a mean and nasty aspect to his blocking. He could still develop his agility and footwork to raise his game.

Edited by Nextmanup

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It’s sad because we had Teller and Spain here and let them go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.