McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me tell you who clueless most of you are.  THE ONLY REASON we came back was because McD inserted himself over Frazier on the defensive adjustments before the end of the half.  Even Romo pointed it out.  

It amazes me how out of touch people are around here about what the real problems are. 

You don't know that.  And it wasn't Frazier that punted on 4th and 3.  McDermott is a loser and coaches like a loser.  Allen is the only reason this game was close.  McDermott cost us the season.  And he will never get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1

He is who he is. The writing is on the wall but he will still be the HC next year and maybe the year after but I have no confidence in him. They even said during tonight’s post game that Josh has to overcome his own coach’s shortcomings and it’s so obvious. Just because he carried the Bills to the playoffs two years in a row doesn’t mean he’s the answer. The Bills have a franchise QB so they will make the playoffs most years despite the coaching. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You don't know that.  And it wasn't Frazier that punted on 4th and 3.  McDermott is a loser and coaches like a loser.  Allen is the only reason this game was close.  McDermott cost us the season.  And he will never get it done. 

The sad part is if he wants to give McD the credit for the adjustments then he should be criticized for the loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am disappointed in the team and McDermott this year, but no way that it is time to fire him.   The team turned around under him and you are more likely to get a worse coach or lateral move than an upgrade.    

I do believe that the team needs to get rid of Daboll and Frazier and find out why they are on the short end of every close game this year.   Something is different from last year and it is not for the better.

Edited by dgrochester55

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD has been one of the most aggressive 4th down coaches in the NFL since Allens second season.

Try again cuz you’re wrong on this.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Curt said:

We are 0-5 this season in 1 score games. That's telling imo about the head coach.

It's the really close games where coaching can have a direct impact on the outcome of the game.

If we consistently got the better coaching in a game, I'd argue we win 3 or more of those 5 games.

Look at what BB just did in the wind game.  He turned a very close game into a win with superior coaching.

McDermott turned the same game into a loss with bad coaching.  

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Chaos said:

I don't see any utility in firing Mcdermott.  This is his fifth season as HC, so Inexperienced is a bit odd to say.  I do want McDermott to get better.  Real question? What areas has he improved in in the last three years.  Part of me thinks that we have reached the point that "what we see is what we have". 

I don’t know about you, but I coached my kids football and soccer teams for years and I learned something new every season. I can’t imagine what coaching would be like at the NFL level, so I give every coach, whether HC, coordinator or position coach a ton of credit as it’s a very hard, time consuming job. As long as the Bills keep making the playoffs, McDermott will be the HC for the foreseeable future. Maybe after ten years or so and the Bills are stuck in the same pattern, maybe then we’ll see a change, but don’t expect a coaching change anytime soon.

• Agree 3

On 12/7/2021 at 12:21 AM, Mattymafia said:

He is. He is a defensive coach and the the defense let up one big run. Other than that they showed up. Every loss this season other than the Titans game is more on the offense not performing than the defense not performing. Steelers game was lost because the offense, Jaguars game because of the offense, This game was because of the offense. Mcdermott had his issues tonight with burning two time outs on stupid stuff but Daboll really screwed this game up. 

My personal philosophy with regards to this is the fact he IS a defensive coach. A defensive coach who has used every prime asset he has not named Stefon Diggs on his defense. The offense hasn't measured up but he still fortifies the defense. Thats a tough one for me. 

6 hours ago, Iverwig said:

The sad part is if he wants to give McD the credit for the adjustments then he should be criticized for the loss. 

In the first half we gave up 24. In the sec whale after adjustments, we gave up 3.  Whoever did that did something good.

I was glad to see us do a lot of blitzing in the 2nd half and it worked.  When Tommy gets pressure, he melts.  A lot of those bad passes were due to pressure.  In the 1st half we played that "we can't blitz cuz he gets rid of it too fast so we'll cover everybody" fools errand with the usual results.  I thought it was good to see the change, but sadly, too late

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Every season McDermott remains the head coach is a year of Josh’s career wasted. 

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD has been one of the most aggressive 4th down coaches in the NFL since Allens second season.

Try again cuz you’re wrong on this.

He’s regressed…badly.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If that pass interference is called in the end zone the way it should have been with diggs we win this game and nobody is even talking about McDermott all they’re talking about is the great comeback of the bills

Just saying

I would still be talking about McSpineless because the team would have won in spite of his inept game day coaching. 

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Fans are turning on McDermott now? Lmao Boy how soon do they forget 

What have you done for me lately?  He has regressed what has he done to get no criticism?  We have a Marvin Lewis  it looks like which will waste Allen’s Career. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Disagree 1

Fans can want McDermott fired all they want. Bottom line is 3 playoff appearances in 4 seasons, a division title, and a trip to the AFCCG. Both he and Beane will get at least one more year to fix this. No way they get fired. Not gonna happen based on the success of the team the last 4 years.

McDermott started to look like he was the real deal last year and early this season. Once the team started getting punched in the face he has gone back to his cowardly ways of punting, playing for field goals and relying on his overrated defense. It is mind boggling how much this man continues to trust his defense over the years when they frequently let us down in crunch time. That overtime was a debacle like the whole first half. When we were lucky enough to win the coin toss, McDermott should have been telling Daboll that he has 4 downs and anything close we are going for it. 3rd and 4 should have been another Allen run or a run pass option. Instead an outside the numbers pass is called. Had you allowed Allen to run, we would have likely picked up the first and kept the chains moving or been in a 4th and 1 or short 2 situation to go for it. And you have to go for it because you are playing Brady and all they would need is a field goal to win it if you punt. McDermott has been coaching weak and his team has been playing like its coach. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

McDermott is likely here to stay for a couple more years.  Last off season I was concerned we'd lose one or both of our coordinators to head coaching opportunities. This year I'd welcome that change.  And this roster still has some holes in places we all know about already and the defense is simply over-rated.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

McDermott does not call the offense. I hold Beane responsible for acquiring very poor talent along both lines and I think McDermott can be judged if he doesn't make changes at the coaching level by firing Bobby Johnson and Daboll. 2 games this year where the D did their jobs and the Offense couldn't muster anything to win a low scoring game. We cannot be regressing and wasting another year of J17's talent. McDermott took this team for almost 20 years of hell and got us to multiple playoff appearances, you can't get rid of him. 

22 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

McDermott does not call the offense. I hold Beane responsible for acquiring very poor talent along both lines and I think McDermott can be judged if he doesn't make changes at the coaching level by firing Bobby Johnson and Daboll. 2 games this year where the D did their jobs and the Offense couldn't muster anything to win a low scoring game. We cannot be regressing and wasting another year of J17's talent. McDermott took this team for almost 20 years of hell and got us to multiple playoff appearances, you can't get rid of him. 

Bean is with the Bills because of McD so I am pretty sure they work together on who what team adjustments are made in regards to personnel. Yes, Beane is the GM but there is a reason he was McDermott’s choice. 

10 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Bean is with the Bills because of McD so I am pretty sure they work together on who what team adjustments are made in regards to personnel. Yes, Beane is the GM but there is a reason he was McDermott’s choice. 

Same thing when Gase was the HC of the Jets and he wanted JD as the GM. How did that work out for Gase. I remember Pegula giving an interview and he said both will report to him but McDermott has final say on all coaching decisions and Beane has the final say on constructing the roster with draft/FA. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

What have you done for me lately?  He has regressed what has he done to get no criticism?  We have a Marvin Lewis  it looks like which will waste Allen’s Career. 

I don't disagree.  He needs to rein in Daboll at times with the pass happy attack, and figure out how to execute in the red zone.  I'm also not going to dump a guy who's helped build a competitive team.  Run the ball in the red zone - figure out how to do it.  

On 12/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, ndirish1978 said:

McDermott is the HEAD coach. He’s ultimately responsible for all facets of the team. Not only did he choose by his own volition the coaches you believe are the problem, but he has the authority to change anything he wants. The issues of the offense, no matter what avenue you want to take to get there, is his responsibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:09 AM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

I gave this post a "Thank you" beer stein emoji.

Not because I agree. But because it completes the cycle, and it now has at least one of EVERY available emoji.

Congrats, you really got folks feeling all types of ways on this one!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

This thread should end….  To many pages and 0 potential upgrades.  With a crap roster broke the streak.  Been in the playoffs 3 out of 4 going on 4 out of 5.  

Yea it’s too early for this…fire him now and then what? You promote one of the two coordinators that nobody likes? Lol if we miss the playoffs I’m all for starting to talk about this 

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

These are just moronic statements.....we should get rid of a playoff coach in hopes that we find better we we can OBVIOUSLY get worse

You’re setting the bar too low. McDermott is not good enough. He continues to cost this team games. This isn’t the 2010 Bills…we have a new owner and a superstar QB…we don’t have to settle for a mediocre defensive coordinator as our head coach any longer. The best and brightest in the game would love the opportunity to coach a team with 24-year old Josh Allen. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

These are just moronic statements.....we should get rid of a playoff coach in hopes that we find better we we can OBVIOUSLY get worse

It reminds me of when people thought that Arafat dying was a good thing.  Then BOOM, Hamas.  People should be careful what they wish for, because they just might get it.  

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1

I love the cult of McD.....  Started very early his first year.

TBH he has grown on me, ever since he figured out that 300 yards passing is not a terrible thing and understood you can't rely on 17-14 games weekly.

But he has certainly regressed this year and has been badly outcoached way too often.

And then those who grasp at straws (like vs. TB saying he took over the defense after being gouged for 300 first half yards), there's always excuses.

He was badly outcoached in every loss and even the wins didn't set himself apart.  Add to that terrible results in every close game, you have to question him.

No they won't fire him, unless a complete meltdown and miss the playoffs at  9-8, which certainly will raise questions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.