Referee Tony Corrente corrupt as *****!!!

Bubba Gump

Do we know if 59 said anything that you dont see on the broadcast?

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Social media has been abuzz for years with examples of poor and corrupt officiating. It’s a shame the media doesn’t hold the NFL accountable with better investigative reporting. It’s never going to change until that happens, and I don’t count on it. 

Social media will be the downfall of us, not poor officiating.  Officiating has not gotten worse, rather the rise of social media and slow mo repplays available minutes after something happened is what is new.  I would challenge you to show real factual evidence of "corrupt officiating" discussed on social media.  What you will see is internet loudmouths speculating on conspiracy theories to explain a game (or whatever) did not go the way they think it should have. 

The flag was thrown for taunting ... which the player clearly did.

The "bump" had nothing to do with the flag being thrown.

The biggest crime on Monday Nights is that God awful crew followed by that idiot Van Pelt.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Do we know if 59 said anything that you dont see on the broadcast?

Social media will be the downfall of us, not poor officiating.  Officiating has not gotten worse, rather the rise of social media and slow mo repplays available minutes after something happened is what is new.  I would challenge you to show real factual evidence of "corrupt officiating" discussed on social media.  What you will see is internet loudmouths speculating on conspiracy theories to explain a game (or whatever) did not go the way they think it should have. 

You’re right, social media will be our downfall, but officiating has truthfully gotten much worse. I typically enjoy watching football at any other level without refs ruining the game. They consistently ruin NFL games. I don’t know if there’s corruption in your sense of the word, but I think of corruption simply as other less blatant things. It’s clear there’s too many refs with biased agendas, no eyesight, and no ability to control themselves from taking over the game. If you believe NFL officiating is great, that’s fine, but I think it’s really bad, and it’s amazing change isn’t being demanded. 

Edited by SirAndrew

7 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

The guy walked toward the steelers sideline eyeballing them. I don't believe the "bump" factored in. 

I agree the call should have not been made but the bears player wasn't innocent, with the emphasis on taunting he should have just played it safe.

the video probably misses some of what really happened ... what was said, etc.   can't really go by the video

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

The problem with all these calls is so much of it is subjective. Like a ball hitting the ground during a catch is pretty easy to see on a replay. But this stuff is insane. How do you define taunting? One zebra might see it as a player saying "I own you" whereas another might see that statement as part of the game and competitiveness.

Every game has flags but the best games are when the flags arn't too noticeable, they're just a part of the flow of the game. These ones are getting ridiculous now because there's so much gray area in them that even the announcers are left asking what the f is going on

The subjective nature of the call, and the inconsistency from play to play and game to game is maddening.  When Taven Black sacked JA early, he’s 5 or 6 feet from him and apparently performs a ritualized choreographed sack squat.  Eyeballing the opposing sideline is apparently flag worthy enough to swing a game in the final minutes.  

When viewed in the greater context of the head-smacking-trash-talking-adrenaline-fueled  60 minutes of the average NFL context, some of these calls are just dumb.  

• Agree 1

Even his coaches were yelling at him on the sideline. It was taunting. He made a great play and all he has to do is walk to his sideline. But no he walks toward the opponents sideline and stares them down. It could have been a no call but maybe he said something.  Usually tauting has some component of pointing at the opponent or throwing the ball at them.  

The ref contact would be an ejection for unsportsmanlike conduct so has nothing to do with the taunting penalty.

• Agree 2

The constant celebrating and trash talking after EVERY play is getting ridiculous and annoying....a guy makes a tackle on a 4yd run and and is jumping all over and running around to get attention. Receiver catches a pass and gets up and spins the ball....

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Clearly the man is taunting the sideline, I believe trash talk should be legal at all levels, but this is not out of the blue. They have been preaching it since preseason. 

I'm sure you went through with a fine toothed comb to ensure the Steelers never ever ever in that game did a similar stare at the Bears bench. Ridiculous confirmation bias.

Marsh makes a good play, go celebrate on your sideline. No Good was going to come out of calling out the Steeler sideline. But I don't like that call gives Pitt the game.

Like it or not, NHL puts its whistles away 3rd period, let the players decide the game, not refs

13 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I'm sure you went through with a fine toothed comb to ensure the Steelers never ever ever in that game did a similar stare at the Bears bench. Ridiculous confirmation bias.

I couldn't care less about the Steelers or Bears, this topic is about 1 play, and the guy either forgot what sideline he was on or he went over to mean mug/talk smack and got caught. 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

the video probably misses some of what really happened ... what was said, etc.   can't really go by the video

51 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

You can clearly see #59 chirp #6 and the ref was within ear shot.

let the people rage!!

• Haha (+1) 1

The guy walked toward the steelers sideline eyeballing them. I don't believe the "bump" factored in. 

I agree the call should have not been made but the bears player wasn't innocent, with the emphasis on taunting he should have just played it safe.

Hes like 20yards away from the sideline. You saying you cant look at the other team from across the field without getting a penalty now? lol If he got up and ran over and got in someones face sure, but this is just a silly penalty. Kinda like a few that went against the Bills this past game. That Offside that was called a false start made me lose my mind. Vegas phoning in calls 100%

Hes like 20yards away from the sideline. You saying you cant look at the other team from across the field without getting a penalty now? lol If he got up and ran over and got in someones face sure, but this is just a silly penalty. Kinda like a few that went against the Bills this past game. That Offside that was called a false start made me lose my mind. Vegas phoning in calls 100%

The problem I always have with officiating is that they seem to want to be an integral part of the game.  They should administrate the game.. keep the peace on the field, and make calls that are egregious.  No one wants to see the ticky tack crap called that has no effect on the play.  Don't throw a PI flag when you *think* there is contact.  Only throw flags when stuff is 100% obvious. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Social media has been abuzz for years with examples of poor and corrupt officiating. It’s a shame the media doesn’t hold the NFL accountable with better investigative reporting. It’s never going to change until that happens, and I don’t count on it. 

Someone on YouTube should do a deep dive on the most corrupt officials. Point out examples of their most egregious calls, then do a hatchet job on where they live, where they work, etc. if they do a good enough job with the presentation, the vast number of hits they would get could prove to be very lucrative!

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The problem I always have with officiating is that they seem to want to be an integral part of the game.  They should administrate the game.. keep the peace on the field, and make calls that are egregious.  No one wants to see the ticky tack crap called that has no effect on the play.  Don't throw a PI flag when you *think* there is contact.  Only throw flags when stuff is 100% obvious. 

12 men on the field when player is a foot away from the sideline and no where near the play.....that doesn't need to be called

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

12 men on the field when player is a foot away from the sideline and no where near the play.....that doesn't need to be called

Very true.  Nor does calling holding on a running play or catch & run.. when the guy grabbing a piece of jersey is 20 yards away on the other side of the field and has absolutely nothing to do with the play.  It's refs looking to make calls.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The flag was thrown for taunting ... which the player clearly did.

The "bump" had nothing to do with the flag being thrown.

The biggest crime on Monday Nights is that God awful crew followed by that idiot Van Pelt.  

So the bump was just coincidence?  Because it sure looks to me like no flag was coming until that happened…

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Very true.  Nor does calling holding on a running play or catch & run.. when the guy grabbing a piece of jersey is 20 yards away on the other side of the field and has absolutely nothing to do with the play.  It's refs looking to make calls.  

Correct. Like many things in life you need judgement, which seems totally lacking in nfl officiating. Makes the games unwatchable and damages an otherwise good product.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Noticing more and more people call out officiating this year.  

It’s bad, and more than just the typical “refs hate us” fans are talking about it. 

I think the players gotta voicing their opinions, it’s them who it effects most. 
Refs aren’t held accountable but players get fined speaking out. It’s sad but they gonna have to take them until ***** changes. 

42 minutes ago, Rico said:

Someone on YouTube should do a deep dive on the most corrupt officials. Point out examples of their most egregious calls, then do a hatchet job on where they live, where they work, etc. if they do a good enough job with the presentation, the vast number of hits they would get could prove to be very lucrative!

Agree, it makes me wonder how many times the league have used their lawyers to erase that type of content though. 

33 minutes ago, mannc said:

So the bump was just coincidence?  Because it sure looks to me like no flag was coming until that happened…

They were two separate actions.  

He did have his hand on the flag prior to the bump.  

I think the ref was wrong in backing into the player.  But the taunting call was absolutely warranted.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've been saying this for over 25 years. Do you not remember the infamous Seattle Pittsburgh SB.  The league will always take care of its favorite blue blood organizations. And those that ignore it are just naive.

Then why bother being a Bills Backer in LA. Why not cheer for the LA team since the Bills will never win. I'm expecting them to lose this week and New England to win. That's the way it's going to play out right? 

The state of officiating is and always has been exactly where the NFL wants it.  Existing with zero accountability for the refs.  Once the NFL calls out one ref and makes an example of him, they’ll have to continue to do so…..which is why things will continue as they have.  Business as usual, swept up the rug.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They were two separate actions.  

He did have his hand on the flag prior to the bump.  

I think the ref was wrong in backing into the player.  But the taunting call was absolutely warranted.  

You have no idea if it was warranted or not.  That’s the problem with the rule.

27 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Yes it does. This way NO room for judgment calls.  Which are the reason this discussion here exists.

I get it, and I think that's a good argument.

It also like the "delay of game" penalty when the offense snaps the ball right as the play clock expires. Who's delaying the game now?

But yeah, you have to call those, even though it can come across as counterproductive.

• Like (+1) 1

Last night was a disgrace - and really, this season has been terrible all around for officiating. It almost reminds me of when they had replacement refs.

Jobs are on the line w/ these games.  Nagy will probably get fired anyway, but who knows?  A win last night over a good Steelers team might have gotten that Bears team on track.  

It wasn't just the taunting. There were a few egregiously bad, phantom calls that cost the Bears points.  After watching the flag festival that was the Bills/Jags game, I was really dismayed watching that game yesterday.  Everyone says that you have to overcome bad calls, but it does reach a point where you simply can't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

You have no idea if it was warranted or not.  That’s the problem with the rule.

I don't?  I saw a player choose to walk toward his opponents' sideline, making gestures - rather than retreat to his own sideline.  It was taunting.  Textbook.  And KNOWING that taunting was a major point of emphasis, it was nothing short of asinine.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't?  I saw a player choose to walk toward his opponents' sideline, making gestures - rather than retreat to his own sideline.  It was taunting.  Textbook.  And KNOWING that taunting was a major point of emphasis, it was nothing short of asinine.

What were these gestures that you saw? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The 2nd video is all you need to see. That plus the push for legalized gambling and it's obvious what's going on. For those interested, watch the banned Frontline documentary from 1980 about the NFL's history with gambling/Vegas. It's on Youtube. You'd have to be a rube to think that everything is kosher.  

This is my worry about the Bills. Will the NFL allow them to win the Super Bowl? You guys saw the 1st half of that Jaguars game. And that was probably all about the line. What about if they want to affect the outcome? Remember the Chiefs game and Collinsworth drooling on the Chiefs and not giving Allen respect? Was that outcome not what the NFL wanted? Things start to make sense all of a sudden. 

How about the entire league and media pretending like Mahomes didn't have a concussion against the Browns in last year's playoffs so he could play against the Bills? Then allowing the Chiefs to get away with holding all game long, then suddenly not allowing it against Brady and the Bucs. 

The incompetence argument only goes so far. These rules are written to purposely be subjective, complex, and vague. So outcomes can be manipulated based on subjective decisions and "new rules" and mystery calls to "New York". And apparently "men in black" referees when all else fails. Has THAT ever been fully explained or even investigated by our crack team of local news experts. Or is there nothing to see there? Thought so. 

My only hope is that the NFL gives the Bills a Super Bowl in order to push the new stadium through. Even then, all we can ever hope for is 1 championship. I'll end with this. Keep in mind that he won the Super Bowl. Not a sore loser talking here. 

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Steptide said:

Really tired of people saying these flags don't effect the outcome. It does. End of story 

lol, the cover 1 post game, and i generally really like those guys, were sort of going on to say the penalties weren't he reason why we lost.  im not sure if they meant to say the bills played horribly and deserved to lose (true) or if they were trying to not run afoul of the NFL by pointing the finger at the Refs.  that said, they showed the 4th and 2 call of false start on us that was actually off sides on the D, a play call that likely would have changed the entire outcome of the game.

maybe they have to say that for politics, and then they can show the truth in the program.

i will say, and that ref from the NBA who called a couple games for whoever (not a network i don't think) showing the make up calls and favoritism (he's the one who got busted shaving points), makes it clear to me that while the NFL might not be in on some kind of fix, a really low standard of officiating and part time refs not making a whole lot of money is a bit of a vulnerability for gambling/shenanigans. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

What gestures did he make?  Why not just make it a 15-yard penalty not to retreat to your own bench area after every play, if it's based on him "walking toward his opponents' sideline"?  Are the Steelers such snowflakes that they need protection from an opposing player walking toward their sideline?  

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

What gestures did he make?  Why not just make it a 15-yard penalty not to retreat to your own bench area after every play, if it's based on him "walking toward his opponents' sideline"?  Are the Steelers such snowflakes that they need protection from an opposing player walking toward their sideline?  

Not gestures, per se.  But he walked toward the opposing team's bench and stared them down after making a huge play.  That's taunting.

I think the rule is asinine - don't get me wrong.  But it's the rule and if a player breaks it, they're gonna get flagged.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.