A few thoughts going into the KC Game

Virgil

When the BBFS was strong, I remember thinking all of our strong starts to season were a mirage and every game against the Pats was awaiting the inevitable.  Every time until McD and Josh came along, those feelings were correct.  Sitting at 3-1 with the Chiefs and Titans coming up in prime time (seriously, how does this happen back to back two years in a row?!), I can't help but feel that dread I felt back in the day.  In any case, when I'm having these thoughts take over my mind, it helps to write them out.

1 - Coaching - In our last three games against the Chiefs, it's hard for me to even evaluate how our players performed because I feel like we got out-coached that badly.  I don't know if it's a mentor/mentee thing, but it seemed like Reid had our playbook in his hands all game.  I recognize that strategy and playing to strengths/weaknesses is important, but I also believe in trusting you talent and going for it.  Yes, the Chiefs can be scary on offense and score at any time, but so can we!  Stop trying to pre-counter them before the game stops, punch them in the mouth, and show them Bills football!

2 - Diggs - After watching the Chiefs celebrate the AFC Championship, I feel like Diggs is going to be amped up and demand the ball this game.  I expect him to be physical and get his yards.  We will go to him early and often, and force the Chiefs to adjust.

3 - Rest of the receivers - Sanders is known to be great off press coverage and I think the rest of our guys remember how they got man-handled last game.  I expect to see a lot of motion, pick plays, and whatever else they need to do in order to get guys free off the line.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few personal fouls early against the Bills.  While I don't condone that, I will understand why.

4 - Karma ain't what you think it is
Super stressed, still handle all of my business
Do the best I can, yes, I can
Yes, I am, misfortune
I know in the dark, they be lurking (why?)
Same way they lurk in your head when they get in your mind
You don't wanna know what they're tryin' to find
I'll protect your soul, uh

5 - MotorMoss - I think both guys have shown much better play in space and aren't going down against arm tackles from single defenders.  This was such a huge gap for us last season as neither could do much of anything against a 4 man line.  Making the Chiefs at least respect the idea of rushing the ball will be huge.

6 - THEM - There's only two names you think about when facing the Chiefs offense, and that's Kelce and Hill.  Hill is having a great season, but has shown he can be shut down when the defense focuses on him.  Kelce is another story and we still don't know the status of Milano and Poyer.  In our last game, we made sure they didn't beat us deep, so they dink and dunked their way down field, while also breaking off long yards after the catch.  If you watched the Chiefs/Ravens game, they did the same thing for them.  To me, the coverage isn't as relevant as the pressure we get on Mahomes.  If we press them, but Mahomes has time to throw, they will eventually get open and tear us apart.  There is no perfect answer, but let's make sure they feel every single hit after the catch.

7 - Josh - Rain of shine, we need our 43 million dollar a year quarterback this game.  He can't be 2021 or Sugar High Josh.  He needs to be 2021 Josh and have the confidence to score on every play.  He needs to be free to run with the ball, set his feet for throws, and take a couple of hits early.  This is the prove it game against a team he's 0-3 against and will play of years to come as division winners.

8 - Knox - Knox has had a great season so far and we need this to continue.  If Knox can continue to open up the field by stealing the middle seam, that is going to do wonders for everyone else downfield

9 - Pass Rush - Mahomes has legs and you can't just send the house.  You almost need to play him like Lamar, where you spread the line and collapse the pocket in, removing the rushing lanes slowly.  Give him 3 seconds, but no more, and like Groot has done so many times, keep the spy in the back of your mind.

10 - Confidence - The Chiefs are the only team left in the league that I don't believe we can beat and I wonder if the players/coaches feel the same way.  That all goes away with a win.  Beating them doesn't guarantee us a path to the Super Bowl, but we would have a 2.5 game lead, as well as the confidence in knowing we can beat them.  Of all things, that is the most important thing to me.  After the Chiefs, there isn't a single team we can't beat on any given Sunday

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Let's go Buffalo!!!

This will be another statement game for the Bills, much like the Cowboys game was a couple years ago.  This time we beat the Chiefs and become the gold-standard in the AFC.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

WHY ARE YOU CHANGING UP THE ROUTINE 

I’m scared!!!

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

0-2. Not 0-3. 

Huh?  I’m talking about our last three games over two seasons.  Unless you meant something else 

• Haha (+1) 1

If the Bills do what they should

be able to do against the chiefs defense then that’s going to help out big time on the other side of the ball. If the chiefs can’t stop the Bills, their offense is going to become every predictable and basically a 2 man show. Gotta come away with points virtually every drive, especially early, with a majority of those scores being touchdowns  

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m scared!!!

Huh?  I’m talking about our last three games over two seasons.  Unless you meant something else 

Why just two seasons!

Bills are 26-23-1 against the Chefs!

and... i just checked. Bills are 1-2 vs Chefs since 2017

Tyrod won that game. Josh lost two last year.

Edited by unbillievable

The Bills should play to their strength and not try to get defensive.   

• The Chiefs are worst at stopping the run...so let us run the football and keep Mahomes off the field.
  • Our defense has been playing aggressive all year;  don't let them become timid...Keep the aggressiveness and bring the heat on Mahomes. 
  • Don't try to change Josh's. play....let him be himself...
  • If Diggs is going to be double and triple teamed, it is going to open up Sanders and Knox...They got to make the Chiefs pay for that
  • The chiefs will try to run the ball down our throat like last year in regular season.   Star will have to be a difference maker here.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

When the BBFS was strong, I remember thinking all of our strong starts to season were a mirage and every game against the Pats was awaiting the inevitable.  Every time until McD and Josh came along, those feelings were correct.  Sitting at 3-1 with the Chiefs and Titans coming up in prime time (seriously, how does this happen back to back two years in a row?!), I can't help but feel that dread I felt back in the day.  In any case, when I'm having these thoughts take over my mind, it helps to write them out.

1 - Coaching - In our last three games against the Chiefs, it's hard for me to even evaluate how our players performed because I feel like we got out-coached that badly.  I don't know if it's a mentor/mentee thing, but it seemed like Reid had our playbook in his hands all game.  I recognize that strategy and playing to strengths/weaknesses is important, but I also believe in trusting you talent and going for it.  Yes, the Chiefs can be scary on offense and score at any time, but so can we!  Stop trying to pre-counter them before the game stops, punch them in the mouth, and show them Bills football!

i believe we lost the AFCCG solely due to coaching. I remember in the lead up to the game, the way Daboll talked about Spagnola during his media sessions, I just felt Ike Spags is in his head. And then the game proved that. 

our offensive coaching and gameplan is going to have to be at its A game. 

• Agree 3

It’s a tough out for certain, if we play with attitude, conviction, and good execution, and a little freelance, we got this, the pressure is mostly on KC, losing another game this early is a very big setback for them, and they know it, the pressure is on them.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

And how would you know that the coaches got out coached? All we see is how the players execute. It's not really possible to separate the two just watching from a couch.

I think the biggest issues against the Chiefs have been a gap of talent and experience. The Chiefs have played in more big games and know how to play better teams better. They have Kelce and Hill, two historically dynamic players at their positions who we have not been able to deal with, and, of course, Pat Mahomes who is putting together a gold jacket career.

This is the toughest game on our schedule and we might lose. We aren't going to win them all and the Bills have not proven they are better than the Chiefs yet, but this is a good chance to show that they can hang with them.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

^ This.

• Like (+1) 1

Good stuff OP!!! Agree with most of your points, especially:

“I also believe in trusting you talent and going for it.  Yes, the Chiefs can be scary on offense and score at any time, but so can we!  Stop trying to pre-counter them before the game stops, punch them in the mouth, and show them Bills football!”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Why just two seasons!

Bills are 26-23-1 against the Chefs!

and... i just checked. Bills are 1-2 vs Chefs since 2017

Tyrod won that game. Josh lost two last year.

It's crazy Reid didn't play Mahomes his rookie year.  The thought of us holding them to 10 points now is laughable unless it's a monsoon tomorrow night.  Josh may need to put up more than 183 yards passing with 1 touchdown to get the victory.

Oh Ye of little faith.

Yeah I understand how your feeling because of previous experiences(post traumatic game stress), and of course the classic Bills let downs of the past.

But,........

The past is the past , you have to look at the positives. This is a different team than we fielded in the conference championship game, and so are the Chiefs. 

1. McD has grown as a coach each year he's been here, and I believe he is getting better with each year of experience. Reid may very well out coach us again, after all he is the master, but eventually the student will succeed , and....

(S.n.a.t.c.h. the Pebble from his hand) can't believe I had to edit that 

2. Diggs is hungry. He was naturally disappointed after the loss , he had a tremendous year, and saw the big prize slip away. He also was playing hurt going in last year, this year he is healthy.

3. Beasley, Brown were both playing hurt as well ,Beasley is healthy , and Brown's been replaced. Sanders is an upgrade, and seems to beginning to have a good rythym going with Allen.

They just need to do thier thing, and the rest will take care of itself.

4. What comes around ,goes around. Be true to yourself, and your best will come through.

5. The Rbs just need to be quick and decisive, and follow the blocks. KC doesn't look to be very dominant against the run this season.If we can be somewhat effective with the run, and chew up clock it will be a key to the win.

6. Kelce and Hill,  how bout Johnson, Milano, Edmonds, and White (sounds like a law firm). They just need to play up to the level they have already this year, and the rest will take care of itself.  (9)Plus we have been decent rushing 4 (which 4 we send will be Mahomes quandary) all year. I'm sure if we can contain Mahomes, and if the law firm comes to play our D will be fine.

7. We definitely need Allen to bring the A game. He doesn't need to be the hero, just play in control physically and emotionally.

8. Knox is our Kelce this year. Allen and he need to connect early and often. Hopefully our online holds up (my worry) ,so he can get in the pattern quickly.

10. Confidence 

I Billeve, I think we can beat this team and any other team this year, it's all up to the team to bring their best on Sunday night. A win brings respect, then the rest of the NFL will have to worry about playing the Bills instead of the other way around.

Go Bills!

Edited by gdabillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

The differences between the AFCCG and tomorrow's game that spring to mind:

1. An injured Smoke replaced by a fit Sanders who is warming up nicely

2. The one-two punch of Moss and an improved Singletary

3. An improved Bills pass rush

4. Knox has gone up a level and the drops appear to be a thing of the past

5. The trajectory of the respective defences have gone in opposite directions

6. The inclusion of a legitimate 1-tech in Star

The above is of course no guarantee of a result either way but what it says to me is that, unlike both games last year, we will be in this one all the way.

Go Bills!

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3

I still don't buy the "we just got out coached in the AFCCG" stuff. Did coaching play a part? Sure. But we got out played too without any question. Jones and Clark destroyed our line. Mathieu hit our receivers across the middle relentlessly, Mahomes outplayed Josh and Kelce and Hill both had over 100 yards. It goes back a bit to the drafting discussion we had yesterday. Kansas City has more elite players than we do and those guys made the majority of the plays for them. 

That said on defense I didn't love the plan in the AFCCG - we just went there said "we are going to play our defense" and their talent was better than our talent. I still feel we were onto something with the plan the first meeting last year and both Baltimore and LAC recently incorporated parts of that plan in wins against the Chiefs. You have to dare them to beat you running and see of they lose patience. 

On offense Spags put out a blueprint that Pittsburgh definitely used to beat us week 1 and Washington tried to some extent too which is don't blitz but try to make the Bills interior OL play in 1v1. That is the weakness of the offense. They also played very physical with our receivers let's see if they get away with that again. 

If we do lose again tomorrow in a way that isn't close though then the Bills need to stop messing about next offseason and aggressively pursue another elite level difference maker. Because Kansas City has 5 or 6 of them. We have 3. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

During the AFCCG the Chiefs defenders were holding our receivers egregiously, and they were all injured.  They're not particularly injured at the moment, and I think the league put a stop to letting the Chiefs get away with holding.  I'm very optimistic that our offense pretty well matches theirs, but our defense is considerably better than theirs.  Advantage: Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

I want moss n motor to run down their throats to set up the play action to hit diggs deep.

diggs is the nitrous to this offense. Once he gets involved n rolling, the bills offense is damn near impossible to stop. The energy he brings when he’s on fire is far more contagious than any disease in the history of mankind. The CDC should be prepping vaccines for the defense that have to guard him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

The differences between the AFCCG and tomorrow's game that spring to mind:

1. An injured Smoke replaced by a fit Sanders who is warming up nicely

Diggs also had a torn oblique muscle and of course Beasley had a broken fibula....

My way of looking at these back to back Chefs/Oilers games is REVENGE !!

The Bills kind of got screwed over last year with the on/off and who are we playing thing.

Josh was wounded but he didn't go around making excuses about it like some guy in Ohio is.

Josh and crew are healthy this time and just hitting their stride.

Go Bills :)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

WHY ARE YOU CHANGING UP THE ROUTINE 

I like the additional pre game thoughts and let’s face it, we’re all having racing thoughts about this game.  I’m a pretty even keeled guy, but even I was dreaming of the game last night.  I need to have a particularly hard workout this morning, and do a little extra praying in church later this morning.  This is a day where I miss Buffalo, as I know our parish priest would end the mass with God, bless our Bills, keep them safe, and BEAT THE CHIEFS.  I can hear it at OMGC now.

Thanks for it Virg., and agree with most of you’re comments on Knox, Moss, Coaching, angry Diggs, but most importantly is CONFIDENCE.  I remember big games I played and coached that one of the keys with a formidable opponent is believing an envisioning a win.  It then guides you’re decisions on every play.

God, I can’t wait for tonight.

GO BILLS!!

7 hours ago, Rubes said:

I just want them to win so badly. I want them to pummel KC’s spirits into the ground. Is that asking too much?

NO!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have the Superbowl crew tonight 

Excellent!  Call it like the SB boys.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

2 - Diggs - After watching the Chiefs celebrate the AFC Championship, I feel like Diggs is going to be amped up and demand the ball this game.  I expect him to be physical and get his yards.  We will go to him early and often, and force the Chiefs to adjust.

3 - Rest of the receivers - Sanders is known to be great off press coverage and I think the rest of our guys remember how they got man-handled last game.  I expect to see a lot of motion, pick plays, and whatever else they need to do in order to get guys free off the line.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few personal fouls early against the Bills.  While I don't condone that, I will understand why.

4 - Karma ain't what you think it is
Super stressed, still handle all of my business
Do the best I can, yes, I can
Yes, I am, misfortune
I know in the dark, they be lurking (why?)
Same way they lurk in your head when they get in your mind
You don't wanna know what they're tryin' to find
I'll protect your soul, uh

5 - MotorMoss - I think both guys have shown much better play in space and aren't going down against arm tackles from single defenders.  This was such a huge gap for us last season as neither could do much of anything against a 4 man line.  Making the Chiefs at least respect the idea of rushing the ball will be huge.

6 - THEM - There's only two names you think about when facing the Chiefs offense, and that's Kelce and Hill.  Hill is having a great season, but has shown he can be shut down when the defense focuses on him.  Kelce is another story and we still don't know the status of Milano and Poyer.  In our last game, we made sure they didn't beat us deep, so they dink and dunked their way down field, while also breaking off long yards after the catch.  If you watched the Chiefs/Ravens game, they did the same thing for them.  To me, the coverage isn't as relevant as the pressure we get on Mahomes.  If we press them, but Mahomes has time to throw, they will eventually get open and tear us apart.  There is no perfect answer, but let's make sure they feel every single hit after the catch.

7 - Josh - Rain of shine, we need our 43 million dollar a year quarterback this game.  He can't be 2021 or Sugar High Josh.  He needs to be 2021 Josh and have the confidence to score on every play.  He needs to be free to run with the ball, set his feet for throws, and take a couple of hits early.  This is the prove it game against a team he's 0-3 against and will play of years to come as division winners.

8 - Knox - Knox has had a great season so far and we need this to continue.  If Knox can continue to open up the field by stealing the middle seam, that is going to do wonders for everyone else downfield

9 - Pass Rush - Mahomes has legs and you can't just send the house.  You almost need to play him like Lamar, where you spread the line and collapse the pocket in, removing the rushing lanes slowly.  Give him 3 seconds, but no more, and like Groot has done so many times, keep the spy in the back of your mind.

10 - Confidence - The Chiefs are the only team left in the league that I don't believe we can beat and I wonder if the players/coaches feel the same way.  That all goes away with a win.  Beating them doesn't guarantee us a path to the Super Bowl, but we would have a 2.5 game lead, as well as the confidence in knowing we can beat them.  Of all things, that is the most important thing to me.  After the Chiefs, there isn't a single team we can't beat on any given Sunday

Go Bills!

Spot on Virgil especially #6!  I would like to add an asterisk to #7 - When Josh takes off running and is going to take a hit, get 2 hands on that ball and squeeze the Sh## out of it!

Thanks for the pre-game mental health counselling !

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I stopped after the 1st paragraph. This is no time for Debbie Downers.

Chand, he’s just antsy, not a downer.  You can’t say you don’t have a little pit in you’re stomach like the rest of us.  He’ll, that fueled me in competition as a youngin.  It used to fuel me in a game like most guys playing a tough opponent.  It’s just like a wise old man once said..

I fight a little better when I’m scared.

Starvation mentality vs Abundance mentality.  I'm not desperate for a Bills win tonight, I'm assuming one.  And should they lose?  They'll scrape themselves up and get even better again.

I think back to Week 9 last year against the Seahawks when the predominant narrative was that the Bills were frauds at 6-2 and that that game would be the start of the spiral back toward .500.  We had an impressive start at 4-0 but then got physically embarrassed by the Titans and Chiefs and scratched out a couple pretty unimpressive wins against awful Jets and Patriots squads. 

Next up were high flying offenses in Seattle and Arizona and the whole world, including this board, had us dropping to 6-4 and scrambling for a lower playoff spot.  And what actually happened?  We kicked Seattle's teeth in and went 7-1 the rest of the season and every single win was by double digit points.  The last 3 games of the regular season we had a similar point differential to the one we've amassed these past 3 weeks.  Just to be clear we have been habitually annihilating teams when we win for almost an entire season.  We are 12-3 (including playoffs) since the start of that Seahawks game and 11 of those wins have been by 10 points or more.  The only win by single digits was against the Colts when we got that playoff win monkey off our backs.

I'm really enjoying Bills football now because I've gotten it through my head that the Bills with our triumvirate of Beane, McDermott, and Allen are a premier NFL franchise.  After this season the world may see them as THE premiere NFL franchise.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.