Takeo Spikes’ favorite place to play: “Buffalo, hands down”

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Takeo Spikes’ favorite place to play: “Buffalo, hands down”
25 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I think it became his favorite place before he was even a Bill

I was at that end of year game against the Bengals when neither team had anything to play for. I think that was essentially a recruiting trip for TKO. Crowd spent a good chunk of the game chanting his name to convince him to come here. Pretty cool. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s maddening that we wasted such a great LB core with him and Fletcher

Still remember the opening day first play of the season where Spikes blitzed, drilled Brady, the ball came loose and Fletcher scooped it up for the TD. I was like...are you serious? Did that just happen on the first play of the year??

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

I was at that end of year game against the Bengals when neither team had anything to play for. I think that was essentially a recruiting trip for TKO. Crowd spent a good chunk of the game chanting his name to convince him to come here. Pretty cool. 

One of the all-time Bills mafia moments.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s maddening that we wasted such a great LB core with him and Fletcher

Many on this board gave Fletcher the  same treatment you see with Edmunds. "Only makes tackles down the field"  That was a big one.  He was regularly blasted here. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 4

the Bills surely have had some stud players on the roster that are stiil Bills mafia family members to this day" aaron williams, Pat williams, Kyle Williams....what can you say WE GET IT BUFFALO FANS ARE THE BOMB!~!~!~!~!!!

#billsbackers

#travel

#weareeverywhere

I looked at Jeff Posey's wikipedia page to see if it said when and at what time he signed.  It didn't, but it had this: "He has 5 kids and a wife. His second son is Jeramie Posey. His first son is Tyler Posey. His son, Jeramie, is friends with Gunnar Bolton."

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Per that game I have a vague memory of TKO saying there was a Bills fan behind the Bengals bench with a Bills Spikes jersey saying something to the effect of “you’re going to look good in this next year.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

Spikes was a great LB in his day, but I don't think he was fast enough to play today.  Every player except QBs, linemen, Ks and Ps have to be really fast.  The day of the big powerful thumper at LB is pretty much over.

18 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Spikes was a great LB in his day, but I don't think he was fast enough to play today.  Every player except QBs, linemen, Ks and Ps have to be really fast.  The day of the big powerful thumper at LB is pretty much over.

I disagree. What made Takeo great was that he was not only a thumper but also a great sideline to sideline linebacker as well. He would put this defense over the top. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Back when Takeo played for us, that was a really fun defense to watch.

With Takeo, Fletcher, Clements, Milloy, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, and Schobel it was pretty much the AFC Pro Bowl team

And Antoine Winfield

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, cisco2403 said:

I disagree. What made Takeo great was that he was not only a thumper but also a great sideline to sideline linebacker as well. He would put this defense over the top. 

Yeah, I also think Takeo was fast enough in his prime to still be very good today. OTOH, Shane Conlan would be a disaster.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

And Antoine Winfield

True, I think there was one season Spikes and Winfield played together before he went to the Minnesota. I'm still p!$$ed off that we lost him and Pat Williams to the Vikings in consecutive off-seasons. The Bills thought their best playing days were behind them and they went on to each have 3 pro-bowl seasons in Minnesota.

6 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

I miss TKO. He was a dominant MLB and a leader. Our D was instantly energized with him playing.  He made everyone else on the field better.  

We could use an impact type MLB who makes game changing plays like he did. 

Spikes was an OLB here and for most of hid career.  His injury sustained as a Bill cost him some speed later in his career but he was always a dynamic player. 

12 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Loved the mafia recruiting him when he was a visiting player at the stadium.  He repaid us in kind.

I remember how crazy the fan base went when he signed.:)

I also remember how sad I was when he popped his Achilles :(

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

He was extremely fast for a LB … until he tore his achilles. He was never the same after that and was basically a thumper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Back when Takeo played for us, that was a really fun defense to watch.

With Takeo, Fletcher, Clements, Milloy, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, and Schobel it was pretty much the AFC Pro Bowl team

And yet we couldn't beat the Steelers scrubs !!!   Also, not sure if Pat Williams played on those teams.   I though Greg Williams thought he was too fat and he went on to play several good seasons for the Vikings.

14 hours ago, The Dean said:

Many on this board gave Fletcher the  same treatment you see with Edmunds. "Only makes tackles down the field"  That was a big one.  He was regularly blasted here. 

Both of them have the common trend is that they hardly make game changing plays.  I think fans have the right to ask that from their 'intended' super stars.

11 hours ago, Rico said:

Yeah, I also think Takeo was fast enough in his prime to still be very good today. OTOH, Shane Conlan would be a disaster.

Just looked it up - he ran a 4.58 in the 40 at the combine which is extremely fast for a linebacker. And in his career year with the Bills - 2004 - he had 5 picks and 18 passes defensed, which is just ridiculous for a LB. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpikTa00.htm. And he had 4 forced fumbles too.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1