Superb Josh Allen analysis by J. T. O'Sullivan

Focus on Ford on those clips and sheesh... he is really struggling.

Folks just take for granted all the Allen does to avoid pressures on so many plays where he makes positive things happen, or when they ask how come he did not hit this or that guy quicker. Just count how many times he has to pull the ball down, avoid the rush, and reset. 

I actually thought our OL played pretty well, but looking closely at these plays I think it may have been more about Allen making escaping pressures look so pedestrian.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Cody Ford is playing at a below replacement level caliber thus far this season. He was bad @ T, and kind of admitted he was a fish out of water @ T (in an article), but he appears to be just as lost @ G.  This team won't be able to accomplish what we all think is possible unless the G pass protection on this team really picks up 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

OMG Ford is so damn bad.  He is going to get Allen hurt.  The only plays Ford wasn't completely embarrassed on was when he had help.  How can they keep putting that guy on the field?  Its some of the worst play I have ever seen. People want to whine about Edmunds and Oliver?  Ford is the guy you want to whine about.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Without watching that I would have said he had a huge miss throw to Diggs but it does look like he had his arm hit on that attempt. 

He also jumped as he threw the ball so his feet weren’t even on the ground when he threw it. 

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

People say Brown can't play guard, but... can't he, though?

I mean he might be able to play it to the tune of only 10 pressures a game which is an upgrade....

On a serious note the reason really tall players struggle inside is because of leverage and powerful inside defenders can get under their pad level. Essentially the game inside is a vertical game where outside it is more of a horizontal game. Defensively tackles want to get under you, defensive ends want to get around you and that is where his length is such an advantage at tackle.

On Brown specifically I think his narrow base would be a bit of an issue. Not sure he would anchor well enough and I actually think the best plays he has had so far as an eligible extra lineman are largely because he understands blocking angles really well and the more "straight up" blocking techniques you have to use inside would negate that strength somewhat. 

If Ford has another game like last week though they will have to do something. They can't keep trotting that out there. I had this idea of trying to trade for Isaac Semulo from the Eagles at the deadline but he has gone on IR this week and looks done for the year. The Eagles offensive line is so talented but so injury prone. That is both starting guards lost for the year already after the injuries they had up front last year as well...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

What a bummer about Ford.  I had such high hopes for him when he was drafted.

Bills may need to go get the best G they can in round 1 of the draft next year. 

Round 2 more then likely.. you usually don’t take guards in round 1 unless they can play multiple positions 

9 hours ago, Gonzonzo said:

Looking at the video you can see how good Allen is and how bad Ford is.

In half of the plays he was beaten by Payne.

In slow motion you see how poorly Ford played.  I didn’t notice it as much in real time but Payne is a second away from Josh on so many drop backs

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

What a bummer about Ford.  I had such high hopes for him when he was drafted.

I have to commend you for this post, and for your sincere perspective!

Ford is not the worst football player to ever set foot on an NFL field. We are all extremely disappointed that he isn’t developing like we all hoped. Some OL guys take time and the staff obviously sees potential there. As a few others have mentioned, he really doesn’t have very many games under his belt at guard. He is a tough guy with an edge. I’m sure Beane will find a replacement if some further progress is not seen.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I have to commend you for this post, and for your sincere perspective!

Ford is not the worst football player to ever set foot on an NFL field. We are all extremely disappointed that he isn’t developing like we all hoped. Some OL guys take time and the staff obviously sees potential there. As a few others have mentioned, he really doesn’t have very many games under his belt at guard. He is a tough guy with an edge. I’m sure Beane will find a replacement if some further progress is not seen.

If Feliciano wasn't banged up, they should replace Ford with Boettger.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Round 2 more then likely.. you usually don’t take guards in round 1 unless they can play multiple positions 

Wonder if there's another Ali Marpet around.  He played D3 college in the Bills back yard, we drafted Darby, and thought Richie Incognito and John Miller were our long term answers.  Thinking the scouting staff missed that one.

Two takeaways from this video. First, Josh is like superhuman good when he's dialed in from the start. Pretty much unstoppable. Second, Cody Ford is bad. Like PS, last resort in a dire situation level bad. 

10 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Wow. You guys are right. It seems Ford is beat on every play shown. It shows how nimble Josh is. As long as only one defender is free, he just sidesteps the dude and gets on with business.

Yeah. And it shows what you have to do to limit Allen. You need an inside rush and contain him from rolling to his right. Maybe that's easier said than done. Young was more than happy to run 10 yards deep and give Josh that lane all game long. TJ Watt was not. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

Two takeaways from this video. First, Josh is like superhuman good when he's dialed in from the start. Pretty much unstoppable. Second, Cody Ford is bad. Like PS, last resort in a dire situation level bad. 

Ford looks flat out lost. Not that it matters but pounded my fist on that 2019 2nd round pick when we passed up DK at WR. 

Looks like we need to some more support here asap. Luckily Josh is Josh, I can only imagine if he had a top 10 o-line right now. 

11 hours ago, Gonzonzo said:

Looking at the video you can see how good Allen is and how bad Ford is.

In half of the plays he was beaten by Payne.

You turned all my focus from enjoying Josh to being so very disappointed with Ford.  I can't unsee Ford now.

43 minutes ago, H2o said:

Would you say he’s “Bobby Hart“ bad? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

In my less than totally credible opinion, Fords technique looks really off, he almost immediately turns sideways to the defensive player, allowing an open lane to the QB, instead of staying squared up on him, and staying between the QB and the guy he is blocking, he does this repeatedly, which almost always requires him to “hold” just to have a chance at containing his man. Am I seeing this correctly?  Ford does appear to be the weakest link on the line in this footage…, 

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m not a fan of this “you usually don’t” stuff. We’re not a usual team. We’re most likely going to be picking at the very end of the draft for a few years at least. We don’t have many spots left. If there’s a choice between a guy that can make your team, and make a difference you pick him regardless of position. 

“Oomph, I really wish Josh didn’t get injured on that play, we shoulda took that guard that would’ve blocked his guy and saved our qb worth a quarter of a billion dollars for 5 years. But people say you don’t draft them early.” Meanwhile the developmental linebacker/receiver/corner is sitting on the pine pony. 

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I’m not a fan of this “you usually don’t” stuff. We’re not a usual team. We’re most likely going to be picking at the very end of the draft for a few years at least. We don’t have many spots left. If there’s a choice between a guy that can make your team, and make a difference you pick him regardless of position. 

“Oomph, I really wish Josh didn’t get injured on that play, we shoulda took that guard that would’ve blocked his guy and saved our qb worth a quarter of a billion dollars for 5 years. But people say you don’t draft them early.” Meanwhile the developmental linebacker/receiver/corner is sitting on the pine pony. 

There should be agreement at least to some degree of what you are saying, at this point in our team’s development it’s pick and choose time as it were, and not just at the guard position, although that is in our case very important.

Go Bills!!!

I understand the "drift" nitpick on Josh's miss to Diggs, but not on the Moss and Sanders TDs. 

On the Moss TD, Josh would've been crushed if he doesn't step out of the pocket. 

On the Sanders TD, Josh is trying to keep his throwing lane clean as he feels out the RDE, CB, and S.

He's so damn good. Been saying since last year that his pocket presence is Rodgers-esque. Probably the 2nd best part of his game after the "arm talent"

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Devin Singletary’s route running is horrible. 

You think that's bad?

Just watch Tremaine Edmunds in any of these clips. He's nowhere close to making a play.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I understand the "drift" nitpick on Josh's miss to Diggs, but not on the Moss and Sanders TDs. 

On the Moss TD, Josh would've been crushed if he doesn't step out of the pocket. 

On the Sanders TD, Josh is trying to keep his throwing lane clean as he feels out the RDE, CB, and S.

He's so damn good. Been saying since last year that his pocket presence is Rodgers-esque. Probably the 2nd best part of his game after the "arm talent"

You think that's bad?

Just watch Tremaine Edmunds in any of these clips. He's nowhere close to making a play.

I’ll be tuning into the Edmunds Report after week 4 for his analysis 

This is a really fun video.  Josh erases a multitude of sins.  I'm slightly worried about his constant drifting towards his target, which is kind of a tell.  ...but he might be creating that bad habit due to his awful protection, and also, he (maybe unintentionally) gets the defense to cheat whichever way he's drifting, then takes off the opposite way or throws to his opposite side.  Not only is the latter kind of hilarious because his physical traits allow him to do that with ease, but you also wonder if he drifts one way intentionally, and NOT because his protection is breaking down.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

3 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Ford was dominated by Payne.  I hear that Payne is a beast.  Our tackles (Star, specifically) get double teamed all the time.  Maybe when you play a guy like Payne you should plan on double teaming him.  

The WFT have two outstanding DTs, so it’s a pick your poison scenario with them. Ford isn’t the only OLman Payne has embarrassed and he certainly won’t be the last. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

This is a really fun video.  Josh erases a multitude of sins.  I'm slightly worried about his constant drifting towards his target, which is kind of a tell.  ...but he might be creating that bad habit due to his awful protection, and also, he (maybe unintentionally) gets the defense to cheat whichever way he's drifting, then takes off the opposite way or throws to his opposite side.  Not only is the latter kind of hilarious because his physical traits allow him to do that with ease, but you also wonder if he drifts one way intentionally, and NOT because his protection is breaking down.

I don't think he's using it as a fake. There are multiple factors that influence where he positions himself. The poor protection has probably been the biggest factor these first 3 games. But, as we saw against WFT, Allen and Daboll had a plan to manipulate the pressure and get the ball out quicker. Josh's drifting out of the pocket was definitely part of that, I think.

Watch Allen's drifting and I think you'll see he often is giving himself a better angle for the pass.  On the rocket to Sanders deep in the left end zone, if Allen doesn't move a yard or two to the left, the DB has a better angle at defending the pass.  By moving left, Allen improved his angle.