Warren Moon on Josh Allen

When asked on Keyshawn, JWill, and Max this morning on whom he would choose to start an expansion franchise (without Mahomes as an option), Moon chose Josh. Says his ceiling is higher than the others and his strength and size makes him a better choice than the others mentioned, Herbert and Lamar. 

Even though some of us—me being one of them—have some trepidations on Josh’s early performances this year, it’s great to hear Hall of Famers still ringing the Allen bell. 

• Like (+1) 20

1 hour ago, CapitalRegionBillsFan said:

When asked on Keyshawn, JWill, and Max this morning on whom he would choose to start an expansion franchise (without Mahomes as an option), Moon chose Josh. Says his ceiling is higher than the others and his strength and size makes him a better choice than the others mentioned, Herbert and Lamar. 

Even though some of us—me being one of them—have some trepidations on Josh’s early performances this year, it’s great to hear Hall of Famers still ringing the Allen bell. 

Wish I could’ve seen the look on Keyshawn face when Moon said Josh. Keyshawn is a Bills hater

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Great post. Warren Moon is criminally underrated historically and threw a great deep ball.

Allen has all the tools and attributes. Continued consistency is what will make him truly elite. He will get there. 

Moon got royally screwed by the teams he was on in the playoffs. He and Randall Cunningham are both unfairly forgotten about

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

Great post. Warren Moon is criminally underrated historically and threw a great deep ball.

Allen has all the tools and attributes. Continued consistency is what will make him truly elite. He will get there. 

I loved watching Moon. I was a young guy at the time, but he had an amazing spiral on that ball. It was truly special. 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh will be fine. This time last year Brady was too old and then he suddenly wasn't. 

They are trying to work the run game into the arsenal so things are a little out of sorts. It's going to get settled and if the defense keeps playing like it is then ....

Don't want to say it and jinx anything 😀

You really should read Jim Kubiak's article in the Buffalo News.  I don't think folks truly understand how Josh is actually getting better despite the reduced statistics.  As soon as teams see that he is willing to be patient, he's going to blow them up again.  I think the offense is going to get incrementally better as the season progresses and Josh discovers how he needs to attack defenses focused on taking away the big play.  And in the meantime, we've finally got our swagger back on D to help pick up the slack.  Warren Moon is a smart man.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Josh will be fine. This time last year Brady was too old and then he suddenly wasn't. 

They are trying to work the run game into the arsenal so things are a little out of sorts. It's going to get settled and if the defense keeps playing like it is then ....

Don't want to say it and jinx anything 😀

You think Daboll and the Bills see the blueprint on beating the Chiefs? Teams that can/present the threat of running the football gives them hell. Raiders, Browns, TB, Ravens.👀

26 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Wish I could’ve seen the look on Keyshawn face when Moon said Josh. Keyshawn is a Bills hater

Interestingly enough, it was the others who jumped in and mentioned Herbert, Murray, and Jackson as equal or better options. 

Later, some clown called in and said Trey Lance. Bro…can we get a snap or two first? Yikes. 

Edited by CapitalRegionBillsFan

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

Warren was phenomenal and would be an absolute beast in today's NFL. Smart, accurate and moved well.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not sure if this is still true, but if you added Moon's CFL numbers to his NFL passing stats, he is the greatest passer, in the history of Pro Football.

I meant only recently has his name as like one of the ten best QBs finally generated some true momentum.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You think Daboll and the Bills see the blueprint on beating the Chiefs? Teams that can/present the threat of running the football gives them hell. Raiders, Browns, TB, Ravens.👀

I do. You need to be able to do a lot well to beat them. Get pressure and run the ball being two. Hopefully They can get it all together week 5 and week 6. Coming away with wins against the Chiefs and Titans before the bye would send a strong message.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

If everyone says constantly that you are underrated, and you are in the hall of fame, are you really underrated?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Moon got royally screwed by the teams he was on in the playoffs. He and Randall Cunningham are both unfairly forgotten about

before I forget, I'm pretty sure I heard something about Cunningham that I never knew after all these years.

Apparently his brother was Sam "the Bam" Cunningham, who passed recently.  Good football family.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve wondered if daboll should try some plays that are like run and shoot. Everyone just get open and don’t run into each other 

I've been thinking that too. Josh is thinking too much out there. He's put in the time to commit these mechanical changes to muscle memory. I think if we can get him moving a little and thinking less he'll find his groove back more quickly. Not sugar high JA, but just go out there improvise a little and have fun

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Today another caller picked Josh and Keyshawn said it was a good choice ("I can see that") and agreed with the premise that if Josh was on the Chiefs, he would have played in a SB by now.

So, no...not hating.  He picked Lamar Jackson--he tends to champion the black QBs.  He was still hyping Cam Newton as of a week ago.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Today another caller picked Josh and Keyshawn said it was a good choice ("I can see that") and agreed with the premise that if Josh was on the Chiefs, he would have played in a SB by now.

So, no...not hating.  He picked Lamar Jackson--he tends to champion the black QBs.  He was still hyping Cam Newton as of a week ago.

WEO, the other day he ranked his top 10 after week 2 and the Bills weren’t on his list. J Will asked why the Bills weren’t on the list, they just won 35-0. He said “this is my list”. No logical explanation. I believe he has Bills hate being an ex-Jet

14 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Yes he is. He hates everything Buffalo and you can hear it in his voice when he's forced to say anything positive about Josh or Buffalo. Warren is right. There will come a time when Lamar and Kyler will lose their legs like Vick did. So they better ride that now. Herbert is similar to Josh but I think Allen will sustain things for a longer period. This early season funk will eventually end. Josh & Dabol will make adjustments. 

14 hours ago, Beast said:

Warren Moon was awesome! I especially loved that INT he threw to Nate Odomes in OT of the comeback game!

Preface; no one is a bigger Bills homer than me, but on this particular play, Moon was throwing to a receiver crossing in front of him from left to right. Daryl Talley mugged the guy (Held) so he couldn’t catch it and the ball trajectory just ended up in Odomes’ gut. That wasn’t on Warren. Refs Miss the hold.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, eball said:

You really should read Jim Kubiak's article in the Buffalo News.  I don't think folks truly understand how Josh is actually getting better despite the reduced statistics.  As soon as teams see that he is willing to be patient, he's going to blow them up again.  I think the offense is going to get incrementally better as the season progresses and Josh discovers how he needs to attack defenses focused on taking away the big play.  And in the meantime, we've finally got our swagger back on D to help pick up the slack.  Warren Moon is a smart man.

After watching the first two games I don't know how anyone can say Allen is getting better. That's just crazy. He is throwing off his back foot, about 50% accuracy, locking into his primary receivers, throwing into double coverage, missing the long ball, and very uneasy and jittery in the pocket. No way in hell in that better! As a fan, I'm telling myself it's only two games vs two good defenses. The Oline is not blocking well, the run game is subpar, and the play calling can improve. Hopefully, Allen will improve and play better or close to last year. I admire your enthusiasm and positive projections. Time will tell what kind of Allen the Bills have. Let's be honest nothing screams franchise after two games (four if you include the playoffs). He really had an outstanding stretch of about ten games or so of playing elite. Is that a big enough sample to proclaim someone as elite? Plenty examples of one year wonders who have fizzled out. I suspect Allen isn't as good as he played last year and isn't as bad as he's played in his last four. games. In concluding, I hope he can get close to last year's level. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

@newcam2012 well, “anyone” includes, apparently, Jim Kubiak, who is not a Buffalo Bills employee.  It’s all about decisions.  I’m not concerned about Josh throwing off his back foot because his protection through the first two games has been spotty.  He’s not “locking on” receivers and he is making good decisions to get rid of the ball.  His running in key situations has been very good and that’s also a part of quarterbacking.  Josh always needs to focus on “cleaning up” his footwork and I’m sure that is a part of what he’s working on.  Did you watch the 2nd half of the Miami game?  Josh was pretty damn good.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Wizard said:

22 hours ago, corta765 said:

While I get your point, I'm not sure being elected to *both* the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and the NFL Hall of Fame is the definition of "underrated" or "forgotten about."

22 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve wondered if daboll should try some plays that are like run and shoot. Everyone just get open and don’t run into each other 

See: Bills vs. Pittsburgh, 12 SEP 2021. 

or... AZ Cardinals the first few games after Murray was drafted.

Dabes has already mentioned Mouse Davis as an influence. I think influence is the correct level to use in the NFL. Even in today's much more pass-heavy offenses, it's very hard to have both an offensive line that can hold up long enough for receivers to get open without specific schemes creating that *and* the WRs that are capable of reading and adjusting to defenses to get open.

I'd argue it's actually harder now than during the Moon/Oilers' heyday when defenses were much more geared toward stopping a running game. The default defense back then wasn't a nickel.

23 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

if daboll decided on that, there would be 3 4th string special teams players running in long slow arcs behind the LoS, with Diggs and Beas blocking in front